• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

Personally I think its a bit more fun to crack the trottle on a smaller bike and give her everything shes got :D

Just be careful you don't get to used to going WOT all the time. I kind of have that problem with ABS on my bike. I can jam the brakes as hard as I want, but when I switch to a non-ABS bike with better brakes like a SS I ALWAYS lock the brakes the first time out.

So even though you can really wring the neck of that 250, still try and practice good throttle control!

daw840

Anyone here have any experience with a bluetooth helmet? Now that I have this new EVO from Sprint, I really want to be able to stream Pandora to my helmet. That would be fantastic.

YEEHAW.

So I was wondering what the fuck was going on with my bike recently. The ride before last felt a little odd, almost as if my rear end wanted to kick out in harder cornering. I had recently checked tire pressure, so that should be fine. Ride after that (past couple days) it was really bad. It tracked straight perfectly (even at high speed). As soon as I started going into a corner, my rear starting wobbling back and forth. After inquiring on the R1 Forum about it, I got it in my head that the same thing happened to me as one of the members. A spacer was left out somewhere when his rear tire was off, breaking some internals over time, meaning the tire would not sit right. I had just gotten my Power Pures put on. They're still quite fresh...

edit: Turned out not to be nearly that elaborate. Just didn't notice there was a damn nail in my tire :(

I got my new tire today, tire changing tools on their way still...

4676032543_f7c0e6c843.jpg

I went to check my rear tire pressure this AM. I put the gauge on the stem, and the needle practically didn't move. WTF? Who would have thought my gauge would have broken like that!?!? I throw it out and get my other gauge. Curiously enough it has the same thing going on. I push on the tire with my hand, and it squished in...I had ~10 PSI in my rear tire. It should be 37. Looking over the rear thoroughly I found a neatly-embedded nail. First one in my 20,000 miles. New tire is on order...yippee. I suppose the positive aspect is that I've also ordered the tools necessary to change my tire on my own. The videos I've watched make it look not so bad, so I'm giving that a whirl.

daw840

I have decided to sell my infiniti and buy a car and a new mc. My prospects for a nil era a liter ss or something like a ex51. Anyone have any suggestions? Have 3-5k to spend...

daw840 said:
I have decided to sell my infiniti and buy a car and a new mc. My prospects for a nil era a liter ss or something like a ex51. Anyone have any suggestions? Have 3-5k to spend...

Well what kind of riding do you want to do? If you want to get into sportbikes there are certain years where various bikes are best. For instance, my favorite Yamaha R6 is the 04-05 model (after that it becomes torture to ride). The ZX-6R is great from 05-06 (and really 03-04 is good, too...05-06 is just better). CBR600RR is good from 05 and up, though 07 and on is where they really shine (doubt 3-5k range, though). 06 and 07 GSX-R600 and 750 are great, too.

But all those bikes are middleweight race replicas (well, not so much the 750 anymore). Literbikes are also great (I ride one), but I can't imagine having much fun if I hadn't "warmed" up to it by riding a 600 and 750 before it. All I've owned are sportbikes. I've ridden cruisers and sport standards, though. The power delivery is much different on a sportbike.

Have you considered sport standards? They can also be quite fun. The SV650 (though I have not ridden one) is supposed to quite nice. I've ridden two iterations of Kawasaki's 650 parallel twin (ER-6n, Ninja 650R), and I can tell you they are very easy to ride and are quite comfy (the Suzuki probably a similar situation...though the SV is a V twin).

daw840

thesoapster said:
Well what kind of riding do you want to do? If you want to get into sportbikes there are certain years where various bikes are best. For instance, my favorite Yamaha R6 is the 04-05 model (after that it becomes torture to ride). The ZX-6R is great from 05-06 (and really 03-04 is good, too...05-06 is just better). CBR600RR is good from 05 and up, though 07 and on is where they really shine (doubt 3-5k range, though). 06 and 07 GSX-R600 and 750 are great, too.

But all those bikes are middleweight race replicas (well, not so much the 750 anymore). Literbikes are also great (I ride one), but I can't imagine having much fun if I hadn't "warmed" up to it by riding a 600 and 750 before it. All I've owned are sportbikes. I've ridden cruisers and sport standards, though. The power delivery is much different on a sportbike.

Have you considered sport standards? They can also be quite fun. The SV650 (though I have not ridden one) is supposed to quite nice. I've ridden two iterations of Kawasaki's 650 parallel twin (ER-6n, Ninja 650R), and I can tell you they are very easy to ride and are quite comfy (the Suzuki probably a similar situation...though the SV is a V twin).

Well, the bike I ride right now is a 700 inline 4 Nighthawk. That post above was on my phone and apparently I suck at typing on my phone lol. What I meant to say was either a liter SS (I guess a 600 would be alright too really), but what I am really leaning towards is an RC51 or a Suzuki SV1000. Saw a couple of those on craigslist. THe 1000cc v-twin sportbike sounds like a blast, and with an exhaust on it would make it sound mean as shit.

Yes, the RC51 with pipes sounds beastly. A guy I ride with has one with some aftermarket carbon cans on it. Are you looking towards sport bikes (race replicas with the forward seating position) only? A middleweight i4 SS can catch a liter V2 in my experience in a straight eventually. In corners etc on backroads it does not compare. You'd have to ride in 2nd gear the entire time to be somewhere on par. So, yeah, big liter twins are pretty damn cool. The RC51 probably has some nicer components than the SV, but I'd look around on the internets for comparisons (as I have ridden neither).

So, I've got a question again. :p I need to change my oil and I was wondering if I have to buy 10w-40 motorcycle oil or if regular 10w-40 motor oil works fine? If it doesn't, is there a difference or somewhere I can get it over a dealership?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So, I've got a question again. :p I need to change my oil and I was wondering if I have to buy 10w-40 motorcycle oil or if regular 10w-40 motor oil works fine? If it doesn't, is there a difference or somewhere I can get it over a dealership?

You could probably order it online if not get it from the dealership. It should be 10W-40 for motorcycles.

thesoapster said:
You could probably order it online if not get it from the dealership. It should be 10W-40 for motorcycles.

But you specifically need 10w-40 that says for use with motorcycles? I can get some at the dealer down the street from work tomorrow. I forgot it's not manufacturer specific so I don't have to go to the Kawasaki dealer. :p

daw840

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But you specifically need 10w-40 that says for use with motorcycles? I can get some at the dealer down the street from work tomorrow. I forgot it's not manufacturer specific so I don't have to go to the Kawasaki dealer. :p

Do not worry about if it's manufacturer specific but it must be motorcycle oil. Automotive oil has friction modifiers that are not intended for a wet clutch.

daw840 said:
Do not worry about if it's manufacturer specific but it must be motorcycle oil. Automotive oil has friction modifiers that are not intended for a wet clutch.
Ok, that's what I was curious about. It has friction crap. Cool, I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow night then to change it. :D Thanks again everybody!

Oh goody.

So as I edited in my post about my rear axle, the problem was simply a nail in the tire. So I have all the tools now and a new tire and I was planning on making the change myself (would be my first change). I got everything in place, let all the air out of my tire, and began loosening the axle nut. I got just about to the point where I figured I could start loosening by hand when it tightened up. What the fuck...

Now when I try to tighten or loosen the axle nut it twists my axle. It's stuck. To make matters better, my left adjusting block is now bent a bit so I have to replace it. To get the axle nut off I have no idea what to do. A friend who does automotive work for a living and has worked on bikes before suggested using an air wrench because it will be so quick/immediate it should come off just fine. I'm ready to give just about anything a try.

thesoapster said:
Oh goody.

So as I edited in my post about my rear axle, the problem was simply a nail in the tire. So I have all the tools now and a new tire and I was planning on making the change myself (would be my first change). I got everything in place, let all the air out of my tire, and began loosening the axle nut. I got just about to the point where I figured I could start loosening by hand when it tightened up. What the fuck...

Now when I try to tighten or loosen the axle nut it twists my axle. It's stuck. To make matters better, my left adjusting block is now bent a bit so I have to replace it. To get the axle nut off I have no idea what to do. A friend who does automotive work for a living and has worked on bikes before suggested using an air wrench because it will be so quick/immediate it should come off just fine. I'm ready to give just about anything a try.

:| You seriously seem to have the worst luck possible. Seemingly even worse than me. I did complete my first oil change today though! :D I don't have any advice for you but I hope everything turns out alright with getting the nut off. Worse comes to worse you could always retap the threads if they get fucked up getting the nut off. :/

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How do you tell if a bike is a wet clutch or a dry clutch?

Not many current bikes use dry clutches (Ducatis are the main ones with dry that I can think of). Dry clutches are a bit noisier and have a bit of a rattle. You could also just look up the specs. One sure sign is if they got an open/vented clutch cover. That can only be done with a dry clutch, as a wet one needs to be enclosed in there.

edit: here is a video showing a 1098 with an open dry clutch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuU8ung70RA

2nd edit: And, I suppose I should mention an advantage to running a dry clutch. In a wet clutch configuration, the engine oil makes its way throughout the engine of course, but it also lubricates and generally helps cool the clutch. This means that clutch wear debris gets into your motor oil and is sent through your engine. A dry clutch does not cause this. I'm not sure of the disadvantages per se, we have a couple people here who own or have owned a Ducati, so they could probably describe that best.

thesoapster said:
Not many current bikes use dry clutches (Ducatis are the main ones with dry that I can think of). Dry clutches are a bit noisier and have a bit of a rattle. You could also just look up the specs. One sure sign is if they got an open/vented clutch cover. That can only be done with a dry clutch, as a wet one needs to be enclosed in there.

edit: here is a video showing a 1098 with an open dry clutch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuU8ung70RA

2nd edit: And, I suppose I should mention an advantage to running a dry clutch. In a wet clutch configuration, the engine oil makes its way throughout the engine of course, but it also lubricates and generally helps cool the clutch. This means that clutch wear debris gets into your motor oil and is sent through your engine. A dry clutch does not cause this. I'm not sure of the disadvantages per se, we have a couple people here who own or have owned a Ducati, so they could probably describe that best.

Ok, I thought it was something like that from poking around online. A guy at work was arguing with me that his Honda vtx1800 has a dry clutch and I kept saying it didn't.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I saw some retard riding a 'Busa this morning, with no helmet, in a torrential downpour.

His bike had an extended swingarm, so if he drops it, he has less distance to fall than normal?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Every time I see this thread bumped it makes me want to learn how to ride more :lol

daw840

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I saw some retard riding a 'Busa this morning, with no helmet, in a torrential downpour.

His bike had an extended swingarm, so if he drops it, he has less distance to fall than normal?

He has it set up to go in a straight line really fast, that's what the extended swingarm does. It keeps the front end from wanting to come off the ground under heavy acceleration.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
He has it set up to go in a straight line really fast, that's what the extended swingarm does. It keeps the front end from wanting to come off the ground under heavy acceleration.

yep. Extended swingarms are really for drag strip bikes. Most morons who stretch bikes effectively ruin them for what a bike is good for... turning!

thesoapster: is it cross-threaded? Did you install frame sliders on the ends of the axle? (and screw up the threads?) Possibly a rock hitting the threads and fouling them up.

An impact wrench should get it off... but I would buy a new axle and nut after that. You would be suprised at how easily a good mechanic can get a nut off that you think is stuck. I was ready to buy an easy-out and have to drill out a bolt on my bike, took it to the shop the guy had it out in 30 seconds with a proper allen wrench and technique :lol I felt real stupid.

A guy at work was arguing with me that his Honda vtx1800 has a dry clutch and I kept saying it didn't.

:lol Not a Honda expert, but I can guarantee that any honda produced in the last 20 years (outside of SBK replicas and the actual ones they race) is a wet clutch...

The reason being reliability. A wet clutch is smoother, and lasts longer. Dry clutches are generally racing items, they don't need to last 100,000 miles. They also do not slip under high strain. They stay cooler by not using hot engine oil for lube.

Next time you see a ducati with a dry clutch (not all duc's have them... my monster 750 was a wet clutch) ask the guy if you can feel the clutch pull. They are usually WAY stiffer than your standard commuter/cruiser bike with a wet clutch.

Flo_Evans

Scarecrow said:
How can I tell when I need to change my tires?

There should be wear indicators - little bridges in the groves of the tire. When it's worn to there it is time to replace. This can be anywhere from 3000-10,000 miles depending on the tire compound and riding style. Also if a tire is older than 2 years I would replace it.

In a car all the wheels could fall off and you skid safely (maybe) to a stop. On a bike your tires are the only thing keeping you upright. A tire failure in a car can be exciting, on a bike it can be deadly.

If there is even any question in your mind that your tires are worn out - replace them. I have never regretted throwing out old tires and getting new ones. When you are faced with an emergency stop/swerve maneuver you don't want to be 2nd guessing your tires. You have enough to worry about. You want to be able to trust your tires with your life - in effect you are when you ride a motorcycle. You only have 2, and the back one does most of the work (usually wears out twice as fast...)

A squared off tire rides like shit too. Your turning becomes very 'notchy' turn-in is a mess instead of a smooth process. Usually you do not notice this until you get fresh rubber and can feel the difference.

Ovid

I never rode a sports bike but I've always wanted one. What do I need in order to get one? I know I need a bike license. What else?

Flo_Evans

tarius1210 said:
I never rode a sports bike but I've always wanted one. What do I need in order to get one? I know I need a bike license. What else?

Assuming you live in the US - you don't need anything else. You can buy a bike with no license or safety gear no problems.

You probably want to check with the DMV in your state. They should have a booklet or something that tells you the laws for your state (helmet use, licensing, inspections, insurance requirements). Mosts states require a helmet, a safety inspection (similar to a car, they check the brakes, lights, ect are all in working order) and proof of insurance.

Then you can register the bike and get it plated for the road.

Now you are going to WANT:

A GOOD helmet.
Gloves - they make hot/cold weather gloves for all conditions, make sure they fit and are comfortable.
Boots - specific motorcycle boots are best but a good pair of leather BOOTS (not shoes) can work.
Jacket. I highly recommend a jacket with a removable liner for cold weather. Depending on your planned use (commuting/weekend/touring) also look into a waterproof jacket.
Armour - most jackets/pants/riding suits will have this built in. Some do not. Spine protection is #1. Knee pads (esp. on a sportbike that you plan to ride to the limit) are really, really, nice to have. Beyond that elbow protection and hip pads are also areas you want to protect that will typically touch down in a wreck.

PANTS I bold this because I see so many people (myself included) all geared up but wearing blue jeans. Everyone seems to skip the pants! You will save yourself so many leg burns by simply wearing good riding pants. Forget about crashing in jeans - several skin grafts later you will wish you would of just put on the damn pants.

Luggage. Most bikes (esp. sport bikes) have very little storage. A backpack can work, but on the bike is better for weight distribution and other reasons (wind being #1, both wind generated by you moving forwards and cross winds...)

As you can see it is easy to spend more on gear than the bike itself costs... Take this into consideration when you are budgeting for buying a bike. The good news is once you have all this shit you don't need to buy it again until it wears out. And believe me, even with no crashing your riding gear will wear out.

Flo_Evans said:
yep. Extended swingarms are really for drag strip bikes. Most morons who stretch bikes effectively ruin them for what a bike is good for... turning!

thesoapster: is it cross-threaded? Did you install frame sliders on the ends of the axle? (and screw up the threads?) Possibly a rock hitting the threads and fouling them up.

An impact wrench should get it off... but I would buy a new axle and nut after that. You would be suprised at how easily a good mechanic can get a nut off that you think is stuck. I was ready to buy an easy-out and have to drill out a bolt on my bike, took it to the shop the guy had it out in 30 seconds with a proper allen wrench and technique :lol I felt real stupid.

:lol Not a Honda expert, but I can guarantee that any honda produced in the last 20 years (outside of SBK replicas and the actual ones they race) is a wet clutch...

The reason being reliability. A wet clutch is smoother, and lasts longer. Dry clutches are generally racing items, they don't need to last 100,000 miles. They also do not slip under high strain. They stay cooler by not using hot engine oil for lube.

Next time you see a ducati with a dry clutch (not all duc's have them... my monster 750 was a wet clutch) ask the guy if you can feel the clutch pull. They are usually WAY stiffer than your standard commuter/cruiser bike with a wet clutch.

Ya, that's what a honda dealer told me too... He told me how you can't use synthetic oil because it's too slippery but he can because he has a dry clutch and other ramblings that didn't make sense...

Flo_Evans said:

Yup, and if you want to know specific suggestions for gear or what to look for let us know (though I think the topics have been covered quite a bit in this thread if you read back a little ways).

If you've never ridden before I'd recommend taking a riding course (such as the MSF BRC in the U.S.). Also, riding sport for the first is not necessarily the best idea for a starter bike. In fact in many cases it is a horribly wrong idea. If you do get a sportbike for #1, I recommend that you take the class, get your gear (good gear...), then buy a used/possibly scarred sportbike (that can still ride properly...best if you have a friend who knows bikes to help you check it out) for cheap(er than new). Craigslist can have some great deals. One popular, good sportbike out there is the Suzuki SV650S/SF.

An advantage to riding something like a Ninja 250R for a while, then getting something bigger is that you can sell the 250 with next to no monetary loss, and you'd be getting a bike you can comfortably learn finer points of motorcycling on.

Scarecrow

I'm going to try to go into my dealer tomorrow to have my bike inspected. Looking through the instruction manual, I'm at around 9000 miles on the odometer, past where I should have it looked over for regular maintenance. Around how much should I be expecting to pay to have my bike tuned up, and possibly tires replaced?

I ride a Honda Shadow 600 if that helps.

daw840

Scarecrow said:
I'm going to try to go into my dealer tomorrow to have my bike inspected. Looking through the instruction manual, I'm at around 9000 miles on the odometer, past where I should have it looked over for regular maintenance. Around how much should I be expecting to pay to have my bike tuned up, and possibly tires replaced?

I ride a Honda Shadow 600 if that helps.

Tires are probably ~180 a piece, and it all depends on what they are doing on this particular service. If it's just an oil change it's not going to be too bad. Less than $50. It can go up from there. I think the most expensive one on my wife's V-star 650 is the 600 mile one and it was like $200, but I don't know exactly since we prepaid for all the service when we bought the bike. That was like $800, but since we bought it ahead of time it was deeply discounted. More than 50% I think.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Flo_Evans said:

Yeah, there are a lot of dudes on extended Busa's out here. they remind me of Biker Boyz.

As I was saying, it took a while, but today was the day. Here's me saying goodbye to the 998:

35052zd.jpg

And here's the brand new 1100s. I've fallen in love with Ducati all over again:

o8grr4.jpg

10i5wz5.jpg

I haven't fitted any open pipes yet, couldn't afford to add them after this wallet gauging. I did get the shortened license plate holder, which looks awesome. And the Ducati Performance comfort seat, which makes the ride even more comfortable compared to the 998. Oh man, what a great day. I do seem to need a new camera though, these photo's look like garbage.

daw840

Nice Ducati man. Very nice.

On another note, I have been developing a bad habit ever since it got hot as hell. Riding without my gear.....I know, I know, it's fucking stupid, but I have been riding to and from work (3 miles, never over 35 MPH) with literally no gear on. No helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, anything. It feels so freakin good, I totally understand why people go without a helmet.

daw840 said:

On another note, I have been developing a bad habit ever since it got hot as hell. Riding without my gear.....I know, I know, it's fucking stupid, but I have been riding to and from work (3 miles, never over 35 MPH) with literally no gear on. No helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, anything. It feels so freakin good, I totally understand why people go without a helmet.

Can't remember if you have a windshield or not. If so, take it off...that will help. And if you need further motivation, I was hit about 2.5 miles away from my house (I was going 35, too). The closeness argument doesn't work, especially when you consider that most accidents occur within 5 miles of the home.

Oh, and that lack of helmet is great until a gigantic bug smacks you in the face, drawing blood. It'll happen. I've had bugs hit my helmet hard enough that my head actually moved back a bit.

thesoapster said:
Oh, and that lack of helmet is great until a gigantic bug smacks you in the face, drawing blood. It'll happen. I've had bugs hit my helmet hard enough that my head actually moved back a bit.

Jesus, yeah, I've had that too. I can't imagine ever going for a ride without a helmet. I've had stuff hit my helmet that would've taken my eye out, no doubt about it. I'd advise you to at the very least wear the helmet Daw :lol.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Can't remember if you have a windshield or not. If so, take it off...that will help. And if you need further motivation, I was hit about 2.5 miles away from my house (I was going 35, too). The closeness argument doesn't work, especially when you consider that most accidents occur within 5 miles of the home.

I don't have a windshield. Been smacked a few times, but not really that bad. Got hit with an acorn in the forehead, that one hurt. :lol

daw840 said:
I don't have a windshield.

Maybe try better-vented gear? Go faster than 35 mph? I think if I went 35 all the time I'd overheat and die. I'd have to switch to full perforated stuff like some of RS Taichi's gear.

edit: And what helmet do you have that you are not wearing?

daw840

Yes, it is legal here in KS to ride without a helmet.

thesoapster said:
Maybe try better-vented gear? Go faster than 35 mph? I think if I went 35 all the time I'd overheat and die. I'd have to switch to full perforated stuff like some of RS Taichi's gear.

edit: And what helmet do you have that you are not wearing?
2008_Bell_Recoil_Helmet_Blue.jpg

Bell Recoil Star

daw840 said:

Don't you live in KC man? I thought you at least had to have the helmet in MO....or do you live on the Kansas side?

Edit: Whoops.....i read too slow.

Questions: How do you guys feel about listening to music while you ride? I tried riding to work with some earbuds in and it was nice aside from the fact that they were slightly uncomfortable in my helmet and I also felt like I was losing about half of my hearing perception of what was going on around me.

ChiTownBuffalo

Dahellisdat said:
Questions: How do you guys feel about listening to music while you ride? I tried riding to work with some earbuds in and it was nice aside from the fact that they were slightly uncomfortable in my helmet and I also felt like I was losing about half of my hearing perception of what was going on around me.

I don't. I'm way too paranoid. I've been hit by taxis thrice while on a pedal bike. I shudder to think what may happen on the motorcycle.

Damaged

Dahellisdat said:

I tend to do it every so often on long motorway journeys but i have to be carefull what i put on, the wrong song will suddenly get me speeding and riding like a dick :lol

Scarecrow

Dahellisdat said:

I know it's a tad dangerous, but I listen to music/podcasts all the time while I ride. I still hear better than I can while riding a car.

The other night on the way home from work was a near full moon. I was riding on a mostly clear interstate road with it illuminated in a gentle blue glow. I had some Iron Maiden playing at the time, a very striking combination. It's times like that which make me love riding my cycle.

Scarecrow said:
I know it's a tad dangerous, but I listen to music/podcasts all the time while I ride. I still hear better than I can while riding a car.

The other night on the way home from work was a near full moon. I was riding on a mostly clear interstate road with it illuminated in a gentle blue glow. I had some Iron Maiden playing at the time, a very striking combination. It's times like that which make me love riding my cycle.
Do you know of any ear buds that are comfortable to wear under the helmet?

daw840

Dahellisdat said:

If I could find some headphones that weren't earbuds I would totally listen to music. However, I HATE those things inside my ear. I don't know why, but I just can't stand them. My wife bought an expensive pair of sony earbuds, the ones that have different sized soft inserts, and I still hate them. They feel better than most, but after 20 minutes or so I have to take them out.

I did however see a BlueTooth helmet that actually has speakers inside it. I may look into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShX5tF2Fmk

Anyone here ever had any experience with this? I really want some opinions before I try to buy one of these from overseas.

Top Bottom