• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Damaged

daw840 said:
No amount of kevlar jeans are going to prevent broken bones, pads might help a little, armor yet a little more, but if one of your legs or arms gets caught on something and bent the wrong way.....well, I don't even want to think about it TBH.
Totally agree, when I broke my knee I was wearing knee braces, full motocross boots and leathers. No gear is 100% safe but if your going to wear jeans you may as well make them safer ones ;)

Flo, it looks like you're banned, but if you're still checkin the thread...you interested in riding tomorrow? I think i gave you my number.

thesoapster said:
I had the same 600RR as you. For 07-08 CBR600RR is actually considered best, but for 09 the ZX-6R. 06/07 GSX-Rs are nice (maybe look at the 750 for more oomph). 04/05 R6 is a great one, though not such a fan afterward as 06 on became extremely top end biased and has much more aggressive ergos. 05-06 ZX-6R is also good, especially with the cheating 636cc engine.
Was about to buy 06 600rr few weeks ago but it seems it's stolen >.> (not here, abroad, then changed VIN and papers...)
I know about models, considered them all. Mentioned it before, I have a list by priority of which ones I'd like heh, so whichever I find first for awesome price. But they are all very close performance wise and I'm only interested in newer models. And about gixxer, maybe newer in non suzuki colors(blu&white), but gixxers are different story, trying to avoid them.
Dunno, we'll see what happens soon

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:
Flo, it looks like you're banned, but if you're still checkin the thread...you interested in riding tomorrow? I think i gave you my number.

I'm back, but I'm in LALA land this weekend. :D

edit: oh that was last weekend.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Figured as much but guy at work(who told me crap before) says he's never used a clutch... But I would think your bike would take a beating from that.

Shifting without the clutch can be OK, but generally only for upshifts, and it must be done correctly. This means high rpm, apply pressure to upshift to lever, snap throttle off a little. This will flick it into the next gear easily. It's not going to hurt your transmission if done properly. If done sloppily I've found your chain may stretch a bit quicker. I would advise against clutchless downshifts, even if it's a slipper clutch.

Sh1ner

Update:
So I have passed my Theory (50/50 Multi Choice and 65/75 on Hazard bollocks perception).
I have also booked my practical and a 3 day training schedule for the end of the month in leeds at the LSM training centre with some awesome trainers. I am all buzzed and looking forward to this :)

I am hoping to buy the Ninja 250 second hand and was wondering where is the best place to look to buy one of these in the uk? Should I be checking bike trader and ebay or do you guys use some other websites as well?

I dunno if its worth the effort of buying the 250 brand new, in the UK on the kawasaki website the price is 4kish. I would have to break in the bike and if I drop it, I would probably bitch about it for the rest of the week. Advice plz!

Sh1ner said:
Update:
So I have passed my Theory (50/50 Multi Choice and 65/75 on Hazard bollocks perception).
I have also booked my practical and a 3 day training schedule for the end of the month in leeds at the LSN training centre with some awesome trainers. I am all buzzed and looking forward to this :)

I am hoping to buy the Ninja 250 second hand and was wondering where is the best place to look to buy one of these in the uk? Should I be checking bike trader and ebay or do you guys use some other websites as well?

I dunno if its work the effort of buying the 250 brand new, in the UK on the kawasaki website the price is 4kish. I would have to break in the bike and if I drop it, I would probably bitch about it for the rest of the week. Advice plz!

I'm not from the UK but is there craigslist for there or something similar? Or a local pamplet type thing of selling items? In the states a lot of places have classifieds newspapers that have people selling various stuff in. You can always check dealers to see if they have any used 250s in stock. Again, this is in the states but pretty much all dealers have their used inventory online, I assume it's the same for dealers by you, so you can just search around.

I know MCN has some used bikes posted so check it out: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/

As for my gear, boots arrived from Germany very fast(ordered Friday night got it Tuesday morning), Alpinestars SMX-4. Like them very much :)

Now for the rest of gear, I of course had problem with credit card and gotta wait for money to unfreeze(once the other bank approves) and then I'll order and wait ~20-30 days for it to come from USA heh.
As for the bike lol, still looking but not in a hurry since I'm waiting for gear anyway.

Flo_Evans

In Saugatuck Michagan. Lots of beaches but they all seem to be off limits for bikes :O

Anyone around here? I think you can take a ferry to Chicago from here.

Scarecrow

(not a bike expert)

man, there's some kind of problem with my honda shadow. I tried to start it today to head to work, but the engine was making a very odd noise. it wouldn't start. when I press the engine start button, a noise that kinda sounds like an electronic, hispanic "rolling Rs sound" emanates somewhere in the guts of the machine.

And I just had it checked out at the dealer for its 8k checkup, too. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Scarecrow said:
(not a bike expert)

man, there's some kind of problem with my honda shadow. I tried to start it today to head to work, but the engine was making a very odd noise. it wouldn't start. when I press the engine start button, a noise that kinda sounds like an electronic, hispanic "rolling Rs sound" emanates somewhere in the guts of the machine.

And I just had it checked out at the dealer for its 8k checkup, too. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?
Junk/dead battery? Try that first then go from there.

Scarecrow

don't think it's the battery. The lights and such still work.

How much do cycle batteries cost?

Also, if for some reason I'd need to get this thing to the dealer, how would I pull that off?

Flo_Evans

Scarecrow said:
don't think it's the battery. The lights and such still work.

How much do cycle batteries cost?

Also, if for some reason I'd need to get this thing to the dealer, how would I pull that off?
Is it more of a clicking? Or a grinding? Clicking usually indicates weak/dead battery, if it's grinding it could be the gears that mesh with the starter. Is the engine turning over at all?

You can pop start a bike, it's kinda dangerous (back tire can lock if you don't get enough traction to turn the engine over...) wouldn't recommend it if you've never done it before.

You can call a tow truck and they will be able to get it there, but the best bet is a buddy with a pickup truck or a flatbed trailer.

I would try a new battery 1st, should be $50-$100.

Hmm, how long did you leave the lights on? With a dead battery in my Yamaha (sold) the lights would stay on for a bit, and I would get dead battery clicking noise still. You can try jump starting (I don't know if it's recommended or not, but my brother does it on his Harley every blue moon that he rides the damn thing) or try a battery charger/tender.

Been so long that I've had to deal with bike batteries (kick starter ftw till I am old :p).

Scarecrow

I guess it may be a dying battery. I had left the keys in the on position for a few minutes when I forgot to take them out. I'll see if I can't figure out how to jump start it.

Flo_Evans

Was up in Michigan so I went to the Silver Lake Dunes. Pretty fun to ride on sand... Then I went thru a "puddle" that ended up being allot deeper than I thought. :(

30j5yd1.jpg

2m7dfsw.jpg

2ij3jiq.jpg

2rqo7ly.jpg

Scarecrow

huzzah! I was able to get my battery out of my bike and charge it. Seems to work fine now!
Question: When probing the insides of my bike, I noticed some of the connecting wires had some weird marshmallow-y goo on them where they connect. What is this stuff? Reminds me of the cum-for-blood Raiden has in MGS4.

Flo_Evans

Dahellisdat said:
O FUUUUUUU
Yeah not good.

LPXJ3Y

Got all the water out, have to change the oil 3 or 4 more times to make sure it's really clean.

It was running briefly this morning so I think it will be OK... :D

Flo_Evans

Scarecrow said:
huzzah! I was able to get my battery out of my bike and charge it. Seems to work fine now!
Question: When probing the insides of my bike, I noticed some of the connecting wires had some weird marshmallow-y goo on them where they connect. What is this stuff? Reminds me of the cum-for-blood Raiden has in MGS4.
It's electric grease to make sure the connection is good and doesn't rust.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
Yeah not good.

LPXJ3Y

Got all the water out, have to change the oil 3 or 4 more times to make sure it's really clean.

It was running briefly this morning so I think it will be OK... :D
Shitty...how did you get home? Or did you trailer it?

Flo_Evans

TheOrangeKid007 said:
Is that a handle of the Captain ?!?!?!? I've never tried the captain when working on my bike.
Yeah I was using it for my dirty oil :lol

Bike is all back together and ready to rock! Need to do a few more oil changes. Ended up having to dump the gas tank, it was full of water too.

Flo_Evans

OK might be a little generous. Doesn't feel as powerful as it should be, stutters a bit on acceleration. I think there may be a few drops of water still in the gas. Going to have to replace the oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and put the proper weight oil in it when I get back home.

Might be time to sell :lol

Rahk

Finished day one of the pre-learner training course (which is a requirement in Australia). Having never driven a manual car (or any car for very long for that matter) it took a little while to get used to the clutch and everything, but by the end of the 3 hours I could change between 1st and 2nd gear pretty comfortably and ride around in circles. Was a lot of fun. Can't wait to get my own bike! Day two of the course tomorrow!

Anyone have any experience with the Yamaha SR400? I am thinking about getting one for my first bike and was just wondering how suitable it is for a beginner. I love the style and it seems like a bike I'd want to keep even after riding for a couple years. Seems to be a very popular bike to mod in Japan. Unfortunately they aren't very common in Australia, but a couple dealers get older models in. Eventually I'd like to get a Triumph Bonneville.

Going to re-post what I've posted on another forum -

I got back yesterday from doing the Level 1 California Superbike School (CSS) class. I still do not have a motorcycle trailer solution worked out, and New Jersey Motorsports Park is a little over three hours away. Because of this, I opted to ride one of the BMW S1000RRs.

My ride for the day (#22) -

4855952688_462bbfbd08_b.jpg

The class is fantastic. Keith Code is a really nice, cool, funny guy. The coaches were quite helpful in class, and my assigned coach (Jon) did a fabulous job guiding me on track (and providing tips/goals after each session). The course material in Level 1 is designed to hammer down the fundamentals of cornering. I had five sessions in all, each one practicing a different cornering skill. A large focus is on throttle control, and to help get a good natural feel for speed, the first two sessions were no-brakes (and at max two gears, first session being only one gear). Definitely made me think differently!

Thunderbolt Raceway is a fantastic piece of road to ride on. There are several turns that were just pure joy to run through. I really liked turns 9 and 10. 9 because it's good fun to just throw the that bitch over right for the decreasing radius (wouldn't believe how many riders I caught right there by turning in from the outside) and then ride smooth/hard through the much more even turn 10 going left.

My instructor's bike (in the much prettier blue/white/red paint scheme) -

4855952834_06c5dfca2f_b.jpg

Great instructors, great track, lots of cool people to meet. It has probably been my best day on a motorcycle in 21,000 miles.

---------------

And since some of you may be wondering about the S1000RR, I'll give you my opinion/impressions of it. It feels small, but is still quite comfortable. It's easy to ride and quite forgiving. The shift assist is really cool as you can upshift without snapping off the throttle or pressing any buttons...just apply pressure with throttle on and it shifts nice and smooth. The bike's power is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I rode that bike pretty much entirely in 3rd gear around the track, except for the upshift to 4th in the straight and the occasional need to go down to 2nd. It wants to be up there in the revs. When it gets up high in the RPM it does really get going. So while it has strong power that can be really fun, I guess the downside is the power is definitely biased, much like a middleweight. It still has gobs of HP (more than you could ever need) and is stupid fast. One thing I did not appreciate was the amount of vibration I got from the bars and rearsets. It was pretty ridiculous, actually. I think it's the first time I've felt my hands/feet go a bit numb while riding...all in one session. The vibrations could have easily been from the RPM I was at most of the time (remember, same gear most of the time).

Overall, it's a great bike. It's a bike built for the track, ready for the track out of the crate with all the options offered by BMW. That said, I'm still loving my R1. I may give BMW a look a couple years from now if they're still the best show in town. A bike would have to be better to me than my R1 in every way for me to switch up so soon.

For me, this has done it. I'm getting a trailer solution up and running ASAP. I have to go back to the track for more, though I'll probably be going to Summit Point next, as they're much closer. I do plan on re-attending CSS for the next level.

Flo_Evans

Sounds like a great time soapster! I'd love to take a trackbike course. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

I was amazed at the s1000rr just riding it around the parking lot at the track... admittedly I don't have much seat time in liter SS bikes but that thing is bad ass.

Now for something completely different!

29del9g.jpg

I saw this kid today at the motorcycle shop. Cute overload total. Is it bad I want a kid so I can put them in my helmet and take adorable pics? :lol

Flo_Evans said:
Sounds like a great time soapster! I'd love to take a trackbike course. How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

I was amazed at the s1000rr just riding it around the parking lot at the track... admittedly I don't have much seat time in liter SS bikes but that thing is bad ass.

Compared to my bike the top end is much stronger (though that is how it goes compared to all 1000s). Had to keep the revs up for it to keep moving quick, so it really is like an insane 600. About the same size/weight as one, too :lol

The cost is whatever is posted on their site (little different per track...mine was something about $675 for 1 day of class and the bike rental) plus $1200 deposit in case you fuck up the bike in a crash. You can also rent leathers on top of that if you want, but I have all my own shit so I didn't need to get the 1 piece AGV Sports.

Holy snap @ the S1000RR! Superbike of the year no less, that's the craziest production bike going right now, it smoked anything and everything at Masterbike this year. That's pretty awesome that they put you on one of those. Was it the kind of thing where they expected you to have a lot of experience grinding your sidewalls off, or could you show up there if you rode like a sane person? Because taking turns tighter at high speed is definitely something I could improve on.

And yes, that cute is super cute.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Holy snap @ the S1000RR! Superbike of the year no less, that's the craziest production bike going right now, it smoked everything at Masterbike. That's pretty awesome that they put you on one of those. Was it the kind of thing where they expected you to have a lot of experience grinding your sidewalls off, or could you show up there if you rode like a sane person? Because taking turns tighter at high speed is definitely something I could improve on.

And yes, that cute is super cute.

You know, I think if I could ride 'em all I might go with the 'Blade if not my bike (due to its light weight and crazy mid-range)...at least until next revision of the BMW (1st year Beemers are always a hoot). It's cool no doubt, but I think I'd only choose it if I wanted a track 1000. It's built for the track and comes with everything for the track you could ever want. The shift assist is great (and TC is nice...makes it harder to lose control at harder lean angles). So, given how much track riding I want to do now...it might actually be my choice after all!

The school's website states you must have riding experience and not be a beginner. They start everyone in rain mode, which is 150 crank HP peak (we moved up to sport mode by session 3, which allows full power with less relaxed delivery and a bit less TC). I have ~21,000 miles of riding thus far and out of our group of 20 I can only think of 2 or 3 who were faster than me. It was my first time on a track ever, and 2 of the quick ones were on their own bikes :p

I really got some crazy lean in. I leaned over/hung off further than ever before. I had my toes up on the pegs and balls of feet were behind the pegs to try and minimize boot scrape...and yet..

4866698811_306da61d27_z.jpg

My coach said I was leaning over about as far as I ever should. The confidence from the track and fresh rubber (Sportmax Q2s) let me go wild.

The Beemer has the #s, but I've seen people say the RSV4 is still the best all-round superbike. Personally I don't know that I'd own any of them; if I was going to race I'd probably do naked bikes or motard. I have a feeling the insurance on a fared litre bike must be insane.

I'm certainly not a beginner when it comes to riding, but I'm not out there on the road kneedragging either.

LiveFromKyoto said:
The Beemer has the #s, but I've seen people say the RSV4 is still the best all-round superbike. Personally I don't know that I'd own any of them; if I was going to race I'd probably do naked bikes or motard. I have a feeling the insurance on a fared litre bike must be insane.

I'm certainly not a beginner when it comes to riding, but I'm not out there on the road kneedragging either.

Not many good places to kneedrag on the street...'least not around here. RSV4 is OK, but is rated by many mags to be near bottom of the bunch. RSV4 Factory on the other hand is near the top, as it has better components, including some better engine parts/tech, making it a significantly better bike all around.

Honestly I see no reason to get up and sell my R1. If I want more top end HP there are a number of racing parts that can be added...but really it's not needed...even at the track. Already have Ohlins shock and cartridges on the forks. Exhaust, PCV, filter, dynotune etc, SS lines...really no good reason to switch. The numbers you speak of are really more of a single number, and that's peak HP, which it's king of. Look at a dyno chart from all the bikes, and you will see the Beemer lacking next to all other 1000s until higher RPM. I did mention I almost never went above 3rd gear, right? Getting out of the pits gave me a better idea of how it feels down low. It's still strong; it is a 1000 after all. It's just not as strong as the others. As said, it feels like an absolutely insane 600 in terms of where the power is at.

Flo_Evans

Nice to finally meet up and ride with you today Dahellisdat. Fucking hot as shit though. Can't wait till summer is over and we get some cooler weather. :D

edit: the gateway rockers bike meetup I was talking about is every Wednesday at 6:00pm at the Sonic Drive In in Kirkwood.

Flo_Evans said:
Nice to finally meet up and ride with you today Dahellisdat. Fucking hot as shit though. Can't wait till summer is over and we get some cooler weather. :D

edit: the gateway rockers bike meetup I was talking about is every Wednesday at 6:00pm at the Sonic Drive In in Kirkwood.
Hey man, yeah that was a lot of fun. Thanks for showing me some of the good roads out there. I'll have to have you send me a map or something of everywhere we went so I can navigate back to them some day.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I traded in my 2005 Heritage Softail and got myself a 2011 Road Glide Ultra:

IMG_0327scaled-1.jpg

40613_116894771695483_100001248836833_118933_1861990_n.jpg

I know most of you sport bike riders will balk at this, but I like to cruise in comfort!

Flo_Evans

I finally talked my dad into purchasing a bike on his own so we can go on little road trips and campouts.

2007h5e.jpg

Found a super clean 1997 f650 funduro! :D

Mengy that beast looks nice. I can't even imagine how much it weighs! (or costs!) :D It does look ultra comfy though.

Scarecrow

Had my first experience with near losing control. The roads were wet and I was trying to stop too fast. At first I thought my brakes were failing, then it flashed in my mind that it was the road causing this to happen. Somehow, after sliding back and forth, I managed to regain control. Shook me up something fierce. I'll now be even more careful on wet roads.

Mengy said:
Well, I traded in my 2005 Heritage Softail and got myself a 2011 Road Glide Ultra:

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Mengy/IMG_0327scaled-1.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/...71695483_100001248836833_118933_1861990_n.jpg

I know most of you sport bike riders will balk at this, but I like to cruise in comfort!

Cool. To me if I want nice/comfy for slower speeds I'd go for sport standard, but plenty like the cruiser style. My coworker made a switch from the Heritage Softail as well. He had an 07 Heritage Softail and went to a 2010 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

Flo_Evans said:
I finally talked my dad into purchasing a bike on his own so we can go on little road trips and campouts.

2007h5e.jpg

Found a super clean 1997 f650 funduro! :D

Mengy that beast looks nice. I can't even imagine how much it weighs! (or costs!) :D It does look ultra comfy though.

Love those things! Awesome dual purpose rides, the service is the only thing with those bikes. They're ~420 lbs., btw.

I installed my front flush mounts on Friday and I was supposed to go on a 10 minute test-ride, but like most motorcyclists, ended up cruising around for a few hours:D
Image106.jpg

Image105.jpg

Top Bottom