• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

'05.
Got it with only 800 miles(I've put in 5k's so far) on it and for cheap.
Has some road rash from when the first owner dropped it but nothing too bad.

Flo_Evans

Nice Ninja. Nice location too, is that Cali? :D

Of all the times I've been out there I've never had a motorcycle to ride. Would love to take a week or 2 off and ride the PCH.

Best we got here is a parking lot down by the river!

s4v045.jpg

:lol

Flo_Evans said:
Nice Ninja. Nice location too, is that Cali? :D

Of all the times I've been out there I've never had a motorcycle to ride. Would love to take a week or 2 off and ride the PCH.
Yeah, it's SoCal:D .
I would love to have done a ride on PCH to Frisco a few times this summer but due to financial restrictions I just can't. :(
How much did you get for that BMW?
After reading Ghost Rider and watching the Long Way Down/Round, I've been wanting to get a dual-sport.

Flo_Evans

doitlive said:
Yeah, it's SoCal:D .
I would love to have done a ride on PCH to Frisco a few times this summer but due to financial restrictions I just can't. :(
How much did you get for that BMW?
After reading Ghost Rider and watching the Long Way Down/Round, I've been wanting to get a dual-sport.

It was around 4k for that one, you can find a ragged out one for around 3k if you look hard enough.

That bike leans more street than off road though, if you where going to keep your ninja I would go for a dirt worthy dual-sport like a honda XRL or a suzuki DRZ. You could also keep it in the kawasaki family and get the KLR... KLRs are generally not highly regarded among the dual sport crowd though. :lol

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
It was around 4k for that one, you can find a ragged out one for around 3k if you look hard enough.

That bike leans more street than off road though, if you where going to keep your ninja I would go for a dirt worthy dual-sport like a honda XRL or a suzuki DRZ. You could also keep it in the kawasaki family and get the KLR... KLRs are generally not highly regarded among the dual sport crowd though. :lol

This, had a DRZ400 for a few years and it was a great bike. V capable off road and resonably handy on the street with the right tyres. Needed a bit more poke on the motorways but im sure a carb change and a free breathing exhaust would help there.

Flo_Evans

Damaged said:
This, had a DRZ400 for a few years and it was a great bike. V capable off road and resonably handy on the street with the right tyres. Needed a bit more poke on the motorways but im sure a carb change and a free breathing exhaust would help there.

You still ride that KTM right? If I ever kill my BMW I think I might switch to team orange.

28bqo00.jpg

KTM 990 adventure... /drool :D

Flo_Evans said:
You could also keep it in the kawasaki family and get the KLR... KLRs are generally not highly regarded among the dual sport crowd though. :lol

Don't know what other dual sports are like, but I have ridden a KLR 650 once...never again. That bike almost scared me in how shitty it felt compared to a good solid standard or supersport.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Don't know what other dual sports are like, but I have ridden a KLR 650 once...never again. That bike almost scared me in how shitty it felt compared to a good solid standard or supersport.

They are. The design is nearly 20 years old. The thing is you can buy 2 KLRs for the price of a good KTM or BMW :lol

All dual sports will feel a bit mushy in the suspension and vibrate like a paint shaker compared to a well set up street bike though. You have to accept some diminished street performance for more off road ability.

I have always liked the versatility and light weight characteristics of the dual sports but I am not very tall and so when I rode my buddies I could barely touch (without adjusting the seat height) which sucks when you are at a red light on a steep hill in Pittsburgh.

Flo_Evans said:
They are. The design is nearly 20 years old. The thing is you can buy 2 KLRs for the price of a good KTM or BMW :lol

All dual sports will feel a bit mushy in the suspension and vibrate like a paint shaker compared to a well set up street bike though. You have to accept some diminished street performance for more off road ability.

Yeah but when I entered the one and only serious turn on the trip going about 50 mph the bike felt like an absolute pig...and it felt like it wasn't staying with me in the turn but wanted to go off into the grass. It was just bizarre. All other streetbikes I've ridden (including a cruiser...which I platform dragged on) have a good solid feel and you generally feel you are there with the bike. Maybe the dual sport's mushy suspension caused that sensation. Really just didn't like it.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Yeah but when I entered the one and only serious turn on the trip going about 50 mph the bike felt like an absolute pig...and it felt like it wasn't staying with me in the turn but wanted to go off into the grass. It was just bizarre. All other streetbikes I've ridden (including a cruiser...which I platform dragged on) have a good solid feel and you generally feel you are there with the bike. Maybe the dual sport's mushy suspension caused that sensation. Really just didn't like it.
The larger diameter (and narrower width) front tire is probably mostly to blame. Makes the bike turn in much slower and tend to understeer when pushed hard.

Have you ever seen super motard riders lift their inside foot off the peg and near the front tire? This is to stop understeer by putting more wieght forward. On sport bikes your weight is naturally forward, you have to shift your weight around a bit more on a dualsport when really pushing it hard.

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
You still ride that KTM right? If I ever kill my BMW I think I might switch to team orange.

http://i38.tinypic.com/28bqo00.jpg

Had a go on a 990 a few years back and it was great fun, lifting the front wheel out of corners lent right over. Felt like you could get away with allot more than you should with a dual sport.

Yeah im still on the KTM, was tempted to get one of the little 550 twin aprillia's as well but was put off by the insane maintenance schedule (new pistons every 20hrs!!) and having to save for a wedding next year.

Have you seen the new husky range based on the engine in your BMW? got a good review in MCN this week but they did say it felt a little heavy in comparison to the competition

Edit:

Flo_Evans said:
The larger diameter (and narrower width) front tire is probably mostly to blame. Makes the bike turn in much slower and tend to understeer when pushed hard.

Have you ever seen super motard riders lift their inside foot off the peg and near the front tire? This is to stop understeer by putting more wieght forward. On sport bikes your weight is naturally forward, you have to shift your weight around a bit more on a dualsport when really pushing it hard.

Totally agree with this, the balance on off road bikes is more weighted to the mid/rear to keep the front end light in loose surfaces and stop the bike folding. As flo said the best way to get around this is to move about the bike allot more, move your body up to the tank as far as you are comfy and stick your leg out in the direction you want to go (added bonus is that if the front does fold at that point a sturdy boot to the floor can some times save it lol). I ended up rasing the bars and changing them to a higher rake on my DRZ400 to make it easier to get forward on the seat :D

Flo_Evans

Sadly there is no Husqvarna dealer around here that I know of. They offered a dealership to the guy that owns the BMW shop (I think BMW owns them now?) but he didn't have enough room and gets on quite well selling the BMWs. :lol

IDK if I would want to ride an "exotic" bike like that hard if I didn't have a strong dealer network locally to help out with parts and diagnosing problems. Kind of the same problem with KTM. There was a local dealer here but they closed down last year. :( Still allot of people I ride with have KTMs so getting help with them wouldn't be so bad.

I did buy a Husqvarna weedeater though. :lol

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
Sadly there is no Husqvarna dealer around here that I know of. They offered a dealership to the guy that owns the BMW shop (I think BMW owns them now?) but he didn't have enough room and gets on quite well selling the BMWs. :lol

IDK if I would want to ride an "exotic" bike like that hard if I didn't have a strong dealer network locally to help out with parts and diagnosing problems. Kind of the same problem with KTM. There was a local dealer here but they closed down last year. :( Still allot of people I ride with have KTMs so getting help with them wouldn't be so bad.

I did buy a Husqvarna weedeater though. :lol

Yep, think BMW bought them a few years back, if i remember rightly there is a possibility the were involved on the dev of your bike as its about that era. I have always wanted a husqvarna after watching On any sunday and they are all on husky motox bikes of the era, just cool looking bikes :D

Its a bit of a problem here for Ktm (uk) so i cant imagine how awkward it would be in the us. Got a 60 mile drive to the nearest dealer and if any major parts are needed its a case of getting them shipped from austria. I did the barrel on my LC4 a few years back and i had to send it on holiday to KTM for a month so that they could redo the nikasil coating :lol

Btw: How does the weedeater handle? good mileage?

Edit: looks like theybought husqvarna from Mv Agusta in 07

Flo_Evans

The original BMW f650 was based on the Aprilia Pegaso

ixfokp.jpg

All of the single cylinder BMW thumpers are half Aprilias - even mine has parts stamped BMW/Aprilia.

I think they killed/merged the 450X cause that competed directly with allot of the huskies.

I dunno.

edit: the weedeater is awesome. :lol I love little 2 stroke motors. :D

husqvarna-128ldx-h210-0239-7d64b4d0.jpg

I need to get the hedge trimer and edger attachments for it. :D

daw840

Flo_Evans said:

husqvarna-128ldx-h210-0239-7d64b4d0.jpg

Nice! You should have gone with the Stihl Kombi system like mine though!:D

Then you could have done THIS!

pimpmyweedwacker.jpg

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
The original BMW f650 was based on the Aprilia Pegaso

http://i33.tinypic.com/ixfokp.jpg

All of the single cylinder BMW thumpers are half Aprilias - even mine has parts stamped BMW/Aprilia.

I think they killed/merged the 450X cause that competed directly with allot of the huskies.

I dunno.

http://www.husqvarna.com/c/i/prd/h/husqvarna-128ldx-h210-0239-7d64b4d0.jpg

That makes allot of sense actually, had wondered why they didnt continue with that range as its a great looking bike, the new husky takes allot of features off your bike that i liked, esp the way the chain is always at perfect tension despite swingarm travel.

that is a beast of a garden tool, i ended up with a worx one because its the same colour as my bike lol :lol

daw840 said:
Nice! You should have gone with the Stihl Kombi system like mine though!:D

Then you could have done THIS!

http://hardwareaisle.thisoldhouse.com/images/2008/06/11/pimpmyweedwacker.jpg

lol that is all kinds of awesome :lol

Flo_Evans said:

28bqo00.jpg

Are KTMsl nice to ride offroad? If I remember right they're kind of on the heavy side, does that affect anything when offroading?

And :lol @ the last 5 posts or so. You people crazy.

Damaged

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are KTMsl nice to ride offroad? If I remember right they're kind of on the heavy side, does that affect anything when offroading?

And :lol @ the last 5 posts or so. You people crazy.

Depends on the bike but id say that every one i have ridden off road was superb, i am a little biased though :D The adventures do weigh a little more than most dual sports but they are v good.

for a lighter bike look at the 450exc

Flo_Evans said:

My brothers got an XR650L and it's a good bike, but honestly a street legal XR650R (Baja Designs kit or similar) is just so much better. Lighter, much much quicker, more powerful, liquid cooled, non steel frame, modern, better weight distribution, etc with the same reliability and indestructibility the XR name carries. If you don't mind kick starting that is (they made it cake on these though).

My bros bike feels like a tank. :lol If you live in Cali (or other states with similar laws if they exist) then a plated 650R isn't an option I think. Or if you want to buy new as the L is the only XR that is in production now (RIP XRs).

This is just me speaking my experiences of a 650L vs 650R, not speaking for/against other D/S bikes.

Oh and has anyone heard of Performance Powersports? They have a front/rear sprocket o-ring chain bundle for 75 bucks on ebay for my bike, but it seems too good to be true. Don't want cheap parts.

rass

hey there 2 wheel gaf.
How many of you just have a bike/no car?
I used to ride year round, no car for 18 months, then my gf cracked it coz she had to drive everywhere so I ditched the bike and bought a car - long story short we live together now and can share the driving (both named on insurance) so I've decided to sell my car and get back on a bike.

looking at:
suzuki sv650
kawasaki er6n
kawasaki zr7
yamaha trx850

all of the above are relatively 'friendly' bikes to ride (or so I've read) and all fit into my budget of around AU$6,000. I want something not too overpowered as I haven't ridden anything bigger than a 250. Only intend to ride it for a year or so then trade up to what I actually want, a Triumph Street Triple R 675 :).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above bikes? I'm not interested in sports bikes/wrist crushers and I don't really like cruisers. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

My leaning at the moment is towards the sv650.

rass said:
hey there 2 wheel gaf.
How many of you just have a bike/no car?
I used to ride year round, no car for 18 months, then my gf cracked it coz she had to drive everywhere so I ditched the bike and bought a car - long story short we live together now and can share the driving (both named on insurance) so I've decided to sell my car and get back on a bike.

looking at:
suzuki sv650
kawasaki er6n
kawasaki zr7
yamaha trx850

all of the above are relatively 'friendly' bikes to ride (or so I've read) and all fit into my budget of around AU$6,000. I want something not too overpowered as I haven't ridden anything bigger than a 250. Only intend to ride it for a year or so then trade up to what I actually want, a Triumph Street Triple R 675 :).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above bikes? I'm not interested in sports bikes/wrist crushers and I don't really like cruisers. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

My leaning at the moment is towards the sv650.

Of that bunch I've only ridden the ER-6/ER-6n. Very easy to ride and get around on. I like them. The SV is a solid bike as well and many people love them. Can't really go wrong either way. Parallel twin vs V twin, etc. The ER-6n is a bit newer design (at least in the U.S.), so I'd probably go for that before I'd go after the SV (though I would give the Gladius a go above them all in that group).

Just turned over my 1000th mile of riding since I got my bike. Such beautiful weather for riding lately. Flo, I think we may need to do another Sunday outing sometime.

rass

Dahellisdat, I'm jealous, the weather has been great here too but I won't have my bike for a little while :(

thesoapster said:
Of that bunch I've only ridden the ER-6/ER-6n. Very easy to ride and get around on. I like them. The SV is a solid bike as well and many people love them. Can't really go wrong either way. Parallel twin vs V twin, etc. The ER-6n is a bit newer design (at least in the U.S.), so I'd probably go for that before I'd go after the SV (though I would give the Gladius a go above them all in that group).
unfortunately the Gladius is out of my price range, does look damn nice though. I've gone off the TRX after discovering the relatively unscrupulous practises of the seller I was looking at.

I have test rides organised this Saturday on a Suzuki GS500 (brand new) and a '96 Yamaha XJR 1200. Will also be testing a '96 BMW F650 funduro later this week.

My money is currently on a new GS500 if it rides well - economical to run, cheaper to register (under 500cc) and the other benefits of a new bike (2 year warranty, new tyres, new brakes, never been thrashed etc)

I used to own only a bike in high school. I even had to take a highway to get to school (lived out in the sticks at the time). It wasn't that bad, people would often say I was crazy for riding in 15 degree weather. I said they were just pussies. I didn't give a shit! While they were working late to pay for gas I had so much dough to do whatever with working 20 hours a week is all. It was nice.

I'll do it again this winter when I get my handguard signal light mod done and get a disc lock/sensor (not because I have to, but I want to. <3 harsh heat and cold). Only this time I live like one mile from the college.

My friend and I have been addicted to exploring washes (which are everywhere here) recently. The last one we explored brought us to a rounded cliff/water fall (was dry though) which was awesome. It was like finding a treasure. I should have got pics! I feel like John Marston on his horse exploring the west. :lol

The last one I explored by myself was narrow and tall as hell (some points you couldn't fit a quad!). It got kind of eerie at times. Very technical too.

Damaged

Not a good day so far, got up this morning and found that some twat had robbed my bike, luckily it looks like the couldnt start it as i found it just up the road with the wiring ripped out of the barrel.

The fucking idiots couldnt start it because the feul tap was turned off :lol , looks like they had tried everything, the kick start lever was out and everything so at least they will have a sore leg after trying to start it with no fuel :D

Just sat waiting for the police forensics to come and dust the thing (pretty pointless as i dont think they will even catch anybody) then the insurance people will collect the bike tomorrow to assess the damage.

Think im going to be off the bike for a while now :(

rass

@Damaged - that does suck man
I was speaking to my mum yesterday she said a student came into her office at 5.30pm holding his bike helmet - someone nicked his bike from out the front of tafe. He wasn't covered for theft :(
He had a disc lock on too, I don't even know how that would work.

I gave up on the XJR1200 - AU$6,000 for the bike (including ORC) and I got 2 different quotes for $1,400 insurance :(

Test riding the Gladius instead, if it is head and shoulders better than the GS500 then I'll just have to ride the bus for a month extra to save the extra cash :)

The triple is probably my most lusted after bike right now. I'm just not sure whether to go speed or street. Most of the impressions I've read say that the street has much better handling and more power than any sane person will ever need (and no doubt much cheaper insurance to boot), but they seem a bit smaller when I like when I see them. I saw two speeds yesterday, one black with gold piping and I was just drooling.

Damaged

rass said:
@Damaged - that does suck man
I was speaking to my mum yesterday she said a student came into her office at 5.30pm holding his bike helmet - someone nicked his bike from out the front of tafe. He wasn't covered for theft :(
He had a disc lock on too, I don't even know how that would work.

Seems to be a spate of thefts round my way at the mo, one of the guys i ride with had his bike stolen last night as well and they managed to get away with the bike :(

Thats crazy not insuring for theft, no matter what security you have if a theif wants to steal your bike they will. Security stuff just slows them down :(

Flo_Evans said:
OK might be a little generous. Doesn't feel as powerful as it should be, stutters a bit on acceleration. I think there may be a few drops of water still in the gas. Going to have to replace the oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, and put the proper weight oil in it when I get back home.

Might be time to sell :lol

This is part of the reason why I like 2-strokes. Less chance of things going wrong after drowning.

Hope it works out for you.

rass

well I just blew the shit out of my budget haha :/
Put a deposit down on an ex demo Bandit 1250sa, too good of a price to pass up, very low kms and dick-hardening power.

I pick it up at the end of October :D

Damaged

Great, after a week with the insurance people they have written off my bike!!! Spoke to the idiot who assesd it and he says it was because the plastics were scuffed and there was slight damage to the handle bar ends as well as the damage caused to the wiring.

I then explained that it was a dirt bike so thats pretty much par for the course, i dont want that fixed just the wiring and ignition barrel, stupid fucker then told me i dont know what im talking about when i quoted him the ktm part numbers for the plastics that would have only cost £30 anyway!!!

getting fed up with this as they just seem to want an easy soloution rather than fix the damn thing.

Flo_Evans

Damaged said:
Great, after a week with the insurance people they have written off my bike!!! Spoke to the idiot who assesd it and he says it was because the plastics were scuffed and there was slight damage to the handle bar ends as well as the damage caused to the wiring.

I then explained that it was a dirt bike so thats pretty much par for the course, i dont want that fixed just the wiring and ignition barrel, stupid fucker then told me i dont know what im talking about when i quoted him the ktm part numbers for the plastics that would have only cost £30 anyway!!!

getting fed up with this as they just seem to want an easy soloution rather than fix the damn thing.

That fucking sucks! Insurance companies are so weird sometimes. Are they at least going to give you a good price?

suoodS

What do you guys think of riding a bike uninsured?

The way I see it is It's pretty impossible for me to hit a car

The downside is if someone hits me/my bike gets stolen :\

Anyways..opinions?

Noez said:

Anyways..opinions?

Have you ever ridden before? If so, you would (well...should) know you have several misconceptions. Even if it's unlikely that you would be at actual fault in an accident, what if there are no witnesses, or worse, what if the witnesses give false testimony (knowingly or not)? There are many ways an accident could be construed to be your fault. It's also illegal in a lot of (if not most) states to not have insurance. At the least you need liability coverage if you are deemed at fault. Liability coverage is not expensive. Comprehensive (covers theft/vandalism etc) is also relatively cheap. Collision can be pricey, depending on how old you are, what your driving/riding record is like, the bike you are insuring, etc.

Noez said:

Anyways..opinions?

I felt like that (in regards to not hitting a car) then all of a sudden one day not paying enough attention I went a bit wide, put the bike down and hit one. Always prepare for the worst buddy.

rass

Noez said:

Anyways..opinions?
It's a terrible idea.
How much riding experience do you have? How old?
what if you blow a tyre then lose control and ruin the side of a new Porsche? Bankruptcy? Your parents lose their house to pay for the damage?
3rd party as a minimum, covers you if you ruin someone else's stuff and will cover your bike if someone ruins it.

fwiw I ran with no insurance (also with hardly any safety gear) for 12 months when I first got my bike license and will never do it again, I like to think I'm a little smarter now haha.

As thesoapster said, you seem to have a few misconceptions. But the only person who knows your situation is you - maybe you have oodles of money and can afford to fix any damage you cause, maybe you're only getting a trailbike to hoon around fire trails, maybe you are 60 years old and have been riding without incident for 30 years. If you are on the road you ought to have insurance imho.

/soapbox

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
That fucking sucks! Insurance companies are so weird sometimes. Are they at least going to give you a good price?

Nope, offered me nowhere near what the bike is worth and i wouldnt be able to get anywhere near the same level of bike for the cash. Going to have a word with my regular mechanic and see what he says, maybe try and get the insurance to take it to him

Noez said:

Anyways..opinions?

Everyone else has alreay said it really, when you get on a bike you are taking a huge risk no matter how good a rider you are. Personally i treat insurance the same as safety gear, can never have too much. (though you may want to ignore my rant about how shit my insurance company are being right now :lol )

Edit: also forgot to say @Rass congrats on the new bike man! enjoy it and get a big chain to lock it up ;) Also i expect pics when you get it home :D

suoodS

Thanks for the responses. I was kinda expecting asshole sarcastic replies. I guess 2-wheel GAF has a heart :lol

The problem is this: my driving record + age. 2 reckless driving tickets, 1 speeding ticket, 1 misc. ticket, and 1 totaled car.

So pretty much, no insurance company wants me. And if they do, it'll be extremely expensive.

And the icing on the cake is all of this is recent. Totaled car/misc. ticket was a year ago. I recieved the 2 reckless/1 speeding ticket in June.

Also, for more information: I have no riding experience. I plan on taking a motorcycle driving course before I get my license.

kylej

Banned
Noez said:
Thanks for the responses. I was kinda expecting asshole sarcastic replies. I guess 2-wheel GAF has a heart :lol

The problem is this: my driving record + age. 2 reckless driving tickets, 1 speeding ticket, 1 misc. ticket, and 1 totaled car.

And the icing on the cake is all of this is recent. Totaled car/misc. ticket was a year ago. I recieved the 2 reckless/1 speeding ticket in June.

Might want to make sure you have the right frame of mind to get into biking if you have all those tickets. Bikes aren't good at making you act courteously on the roads.

Noez said:

So pretty much, no insurance company wants me. And if they do, it'll be extremely expensive.

Also, for more information: I have no riding experience. I plan on taking a motorcycle driving course before I get my license.

Should still carry liability at an absolute minimum. Shop around. Or just wait until your rates go down...

As kylej mentioned, it's pretty easy to ride like an asshole. If you don't plan on being restrained and civil around traffic, don't get a bike. You'll end up with more tickets, severe injury or death, etc.

Top Bottom