• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

rass

Damaged said:
Edit: also forgot to say @Rass congrats on the new bike man! enjoy it and get a big chain to lock it up ;) Also i expect pics when you get it home :D
cheers man! I'm thinking about data dots/gps/immobiliser and trying to work out where the best value for money is, will be picking up a disc lock at the same time as my bike - would you recommend an actual chain to attach it to things as well?

I'll be photographing the bejesus out of the bike haha :D

Rubbish news about your insurance co, hope that sorts itself out. One of my mates was in a not-at-fault accident and his car got written off- paid out $4,200 when he paid $6,000 for the car only 3 months before.

Noez said:
Also, for more information: I have no riding experience. I plan on taking a motorcycle driving course before I get my license.
Noez said:
The way I see it is It's pretty impossible for me to hit a car

I think you see it that way because you haven't ridden yet unfortunately.
Perhaps you need to work on your roadcraft with another car before you get a bike (going by your spate of fines). After I got my bike license one of my workmates asked "Is it like there's no traffic?", thinking I could just ride on the white lines and ignore cars. He got his licences and a bike, wrote it off in 6 weeks.

As for insurance companies - what kind of bike are you looking at? Insurance on a bmw s1000rr is going to be a whole lot more than a honda cb250. Sportsbikes + young people = very high insurance risk too (from their perspective).

Best of luck!

LiveFromKyoto said:
New Suzuki naked middleweight (Euro only :/ ):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4150/5012087548_2d5927a38d.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
I think that bike looks sick, kind of similar to the newer z750 kawasakis.

kylej

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

5012087548_2d5927a38d.jpg

It's like an SV had sex with a protractor.

Damaged

rass said:
cheers man! I'm thinking about data dots/gps/immobiliser and trying to work out where the best value for money is, will be picking up a disc lock at the same time as my bike - would you recommend an actual chain to attach it to things as well?

I'll be photographing the bejesus out of the bike haha :D

Rubbish news about your insurance co, hope that sorts itself out. One of my mates was in a not-at-fault accident and his car got written off- paid out $4,200 when he paid $6,000 for the car only 3 months before.

Yeah i alwas go for a chain as well, its bulky but a visible deterrent. Personally id go with abus locks, they are thatcham approved (uk insurance will lower premiums for thatcham aproved security) and last for years, stupidly it wasnt on my bike when it was taken :(

Seems to be the way of things with insurance companys these days sadly, looking for a fast claim and a quick buck off somebodys misery. Going to fight them all the way though :D

LiveFromKyoto said:

5012087548_2d5927a38d.jpg

I thought they had the Gladius...this alongside it? Or different engine than Gladius?

New ZX-10R photos up at MCN and other places...looks interesting. Would have to see in person to judge the headlights, though. Will probably grow on me.

1-Ninja-ZX-10R.jpg

suoodS

thesoapster said:
As kylej mentioned, it's pretty easy to ride like an asshole. If you don't plan on being restrained and civil around traffic, don't get a bike. You'll end up with more tickets, severe injury or death, etc.

I tried to change my driving style but I can't refrain from speeding. So, from my standpoint having a bike will be very fun. (I'm not trying to justify breaking the law)

rass said:
As for insurance companies - what kind of bike are you looking at? Insurance on a bmw s1000rr is going to be a whole lot more than a honda cb250. Sportsbikes + young people = very high insurance risk too (from their perspective).

Best of luck!

Thanks. I have my heart set on a 2007 Yamaha R6

I thought about starting at a 250 but I rather just go straight into a 600

I wanted 1000cc before I did research :lol

Noez said:
I tried to change my driving style but I can't refrain from speeding. So, from my standpoint having a bike will be very fun. (I'm not trying to justify breaking the law)

I wanted 1000cc before I did research :lol

Do a little more research, then. The R6 is probably the least friendly 600 to start on (really tall and uncomfortable, horrible power delivery for street use). In fact you're better off starting off with a bit smaller 2 cylinder (doesn't HAVE to be a 250). Just know you'll pick everything up quicker on a smaller bike. And you know what, it won't matter if your bike isn't as fast as other ones out there. Know why? Most of them (>95%) would get slaughtered on a track by a skilled guy riding a 125cc 2 stroke! Just know you have plenty of time ahead of you and there is no need to start on the bike you want real bad, especially at the time most likely for you to drop it/wreck. Speaking of which, if you are prone to being overly ballsy, it's really a bad idea for you to start on a bigger bike. Hell, even experienced riders who don't know their limitations fall to it. You could very easily find yourself going into a corner way too fast for you to adjust in time, panic, crash, etc. You want to AVOID that situation altogether.

So 2 Wheel Gaf help me out.

I'm taking the Motorcycle Cycle Riders class at the local Community College in 2 weeks.
I want to get a good starter bike, but 250s seem like they can't get out of their own way.

I'm fairly short 5'8 and weigh 215 lbs. ( I know im fat). I need a bike thats going to be fun, safe, and most of all able for me to touch the ground with.

What do you recommend?

I was looking at a Ducati Monster but i'm not sure after reading about maintenance.

I just got back from my first real bike trip out of the tri-state area. We went down to Virginia for the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah Valley around 1700 miles total. I learned a lot on this trip especially Thursday going down 84 to 81 in the rain all along the east coast, even though your jacket has a waterproof compartment make sure your iphone is in a Ziplock/waterproof bag.

I started out on the little Ninja 250 and I'm 5'9" 195. The suspension gets bit soft unless it has better springs added (i.e.Racetech), Then it rails on the corners and is great fun. It has no problem keeping up on freeways etc. While it does not have brute strength, it is an excellent way to start. Buy one used, ride it for a year or two then sell it for the same price, that's what I did twice, for mine and my wife's. It is easy to find an older one for 1500-2000.
I now ride a FZ6 great all around bike

rass

YuriLowell -
consider trying out a Suzuki GS500. Very learner friendly, will pull you along without any trouble. Seat is plenty low enough too (I'm 6'2" and it was a bit small for me).

I got put off it because I'm on my full licence and didn't want to upgrade again in a year, but it would be perfect for starting out on. Heaps of them around second hand too. I started on an '81 Suzuki GN250… It struggled at 100km/h and handled like a dog but it got me to tafe for 2 years and I learned situational awareness very quickly - I had to, couldn't get out of the way of anything with all of 23hp haha.
Another bike that people seem to love over here in oz is the Honda CB400, might be worth checking out but they are fairly pricey even second hand.

have fun at the course!

kylej

Banned
Noez said:

You need to start at a 250. 250 will do 0-60 faster than 99% of the cars on the road and they're cheap as hell. Seriously dude, take the MSF. You need some perspective on how fast modern bikes are. An R6 will get you into "Immediate License Suspension" territory faster than you can possibly imagine.

Thanks guys I will look into those bikes soon.

Another question.

I have a pair of steel toe work boots that I use whenever I go into the shipyard. They are tall and cover my ankle, but they look like hiking boots.

Would these be okay to go to my class with or do I need to go find a pair of real leather boots asap.

kylej

Banned
YuriLowell said:

Another question.

I have a pair of steel toe work boots that I use whenever I go into the shipyard. They are tall and cover my ankle, but they look like hiking boots.

Would these be okay to go to my class with or do I need to go find a pair of real leather boots asap.

Those are fine. Just make sure they're not too bulky to move around comfortably. You should be able to 'feel' the shift lever and rear brake. Too cumbersome and you'll have a hard time staying smooth.

YuriLowell said:

They're good, but I might add if they have laces do your best to tuck them in so they don't have a chance of getting caught on anything.

So my mother freaked out to the reaction of owning a motorcycle.

How does 2 wheel gaf defuse parentals.

Im 22 years old for fucks sake I should be able to do whatever I want.

Looks like it might be time to buy storage and hide a motorcycle there.

YuriLowell said:

I started at 18 (22 now) and was able to convince my parents it'd be OK (plus my dad, who had used to ride, had gotten a bike). You can try to talk to your mom about it, but really if you're still under her roof you're kind of at her mercy. So, how do defuse? Move out.

Karud

I started at 16 (125ccm) and my family (especially mom and grandfather (he drove himself though)) are not that happy about it. Tell them you will be driving carefully, with protection. They are just worried about your health.

YuriLowell said:

Another question.

The only street bikes under 650cc that I can remember is Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Suzuki GS500, the rest are 650 or above which depending on your state and insurance company can really jump in price under the age of 26 I believe it is if you go over 501 CC. Have you ridden a 250 Ninja before? It's not lightning fast but I don't think mine has no get up and go. I am left in the dust by a coworkers vtx1800 but that's another story. :lol

Edit: Also, if you're short then don't bother will dual sports as they'll probably be too tall for you. You should be flat footed when seated on your bike.

YuriLowell said:

It honestly depends on your family and your attitude when it comes to riding. My mom said it was perfectly fine but then freaked out when I bought it because she said she didn't think I'd actually do it. :lol What helped me is I got a 250 so the smallest you can pretty much get and I was more than fine with it. I always made a point of buying all the gear and explaining that I always intend to use all the gear. That pretty much calmed my mom down but like I said varies on your family's attitude and the attitude you show towards driving. I agree you should be able to do what you want but if you still live in their house you have to respect their wishes at least a little bit.

rass

YuriLowell said:

My dad rode for 25 years, stopped when I was about 6 - My mum rode for nearly 15 years and stopped when she got pregnant with my older sister. I got my learners when I was 18 without telling them, then my dad helped me fix up my mum's old bike (GN250 ftw haha). Mum cried when she found out and hated it the whole time I was on that bike, I had to call her when I got where I was going etc. but she didn't have a leg to stand on because she used to ride and it was her old bike ffs. A little different from your situation but it all worked out eventually.

Now, at 25, I'm getting back into it after a couple of years hiatus on a Bandit 1250 and mum bought me a sweet new helmet haha. What a difference 7 years makes.

Are you a safe driver? Speeding tickets? Accidents? Maybe her fear is founded, who knows. IMHO get a bike, but if she can't deal with it be prepared to move out (if you live at home).

/ramble

rass

thesoapster said:
Your chain cries out, "whhhhhhyyyyyyy?!!???? :("
I cry out to my girlfriend "whhhyyyy?"
(she parked too far into the carport for me to get my bike under as well, it will be shifted soon.) I'm getting a cover next week as well, no shelter at work :/

YuriLowell said:

good luck, bro. I know if I bought one, I'd never be able to take it home. my mother's only brother died on a motorcycle when he was your age, coming home from a college break.

Scarecrow

I have a general bike question. My Honda Shadow has 4 gears. Why, for the first 3 gears, you have to change them either up or down every 10-13mph or so, but when I get to the fourth, I can go from 35-100mph without the need for switching gears?

YuriLowell said:

Mine were fine with the idea, but once I started to actually look for one to buy they were having issues with it.

Basically had to tell them that this is something I enjoy doing and they're going to just have to deal with it cause I'm going to do it regardless.

Scarecrow said:
I have a general bike question. My Honda Shadow has 4 gears. Why, for the first 3 gears, you have to change them either up or down every 10-13mph or so, but when I get to the fourth, I can go from 35-100mph without the need for switching gears?

Each gear can be set up a different way. Most sport bikes have tall first gears (I can hit 100mph in 1st). So your gears are designed for what your bike was intended for - cruising (which you mine as well be doing in top gear if you can).

So I ordered some Honda wings for my tank since the bike has no decals and it's pretty plain. The top of the wings are a tad too big. I kinda figured that size shouldn't be an issue since its a god damned desert tank. Ugh, I fail at measuring. :( The worst part is that they shipped from Malta (didn't know this until after I ordered them). I wish I could shrink them a dick hair. What a shitty week its been.

Damaged

Rahk said:
Just bought my first bike. Slightly modified SR400.

HzfPh.jpg

That is so damn cool, great looking first bike. You going to run it without the airbox like that? think i can see a filter on the carb inlet?

cnizzle06

Banned
Bike noob here. Im kinda interested in looking into a 'traditional' sorta motorcycle. Something between a sports bike and a Harley I suppose. Nothing flashy, just something modest I guess. And ideas gaf?

rass

very nice Rahk, congratulations!

I've done 350kms since I picked up my bike on Friday night, break in service is coming up kind of quickly haha (400kms already on it when I bought it)

cnizzle06 said:
Bike noob here. Im kinda interested in looking into a 'traditional' sorta motorcycle. Something between a sports bike and a Harley I suppose. Nothing flashy, just something modest I guess. And ideas gaf?

Sounds like you're looking for a standard, which is a solid choice:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#Standard

Most people tend to go for one of the extremes at first (sports/cruiser) and then come around to standards later on. That's probably why most of them tend to be made with more powerful engines for more experienced riders. You'll likely want to start out on something 500cc or under for safety's sake. Not sure exactly which way your tastes will lean, maybe something like this?

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/suzuki-gs500-review

cnizzle06

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Sounds like you're looking for a standard, which is a solid choice:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionThree.htm#Standard

Most people tend to go for one of the extremes at first (sports/cruiser) and then come around to standards later on. That's probably why most of them tend to be made with more powerful engines for more experienced riders. You'll likely want to start out on something 500cc or under for safety's sake. Not sure exactly which way your tastes will lean, maybe something like this?

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/suzuki-gs500-review
Thanks for the info :D

Yeah, that's somewhat close to what I'm thinking. Although that's a bit too sporty and flashy still for my liking. I have an image in my head where it has straight handle bars and kinda the seating position opposite of a Harley? I don't know what I'm saying. :lol

Rahk

Not sure what exactly you are looking for, but a Triumph Bonneville maybe?

BonnevilleSE_2009_510x347.jpg

Probably a bit too powerful for a beginner though.

The stock SR400 is somewhat based on it with less power:

2010_sr400.jpg

Don't think they are available in the US though.

These are the type of bikes that I love anyway. :D

Damaged said:
That is so damn cool, great looking first bike. You going to run it without the airbox like that? think i can see a filter on the carb inlet?
Yep.

It's being delivered next week.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I just took my bike out for the first time in 2 months. It's cold but I think I had just as much fun as I did in the spring. Got a chance to test my Speed and Strength Jacket in the cold. Kept me warm even without my inside liner. I'll throw the liner back in when it gets colder.

Mine looks like this, but red.
Speed___Strength_Moment_of_Truth_SP_Jacket_Blue-Black_zoom.jpg

Now I just need some good winter pants. Jeans only work so much. I'm buying a bunch of snowboarding equipment/clothing this winter, I wonder if snowboarding pants could double for decent motorcycle riding pants to keep me warm. Maybe wear them over my jeans if not the baggy type.

I'd go the other way round. Buy some textile motorcycle gear (pants), which is often pretty warm and waterproof (to a degree) and use that as snowboarding pants if the need arises. You'll probably ride the bike more often than your snowboard and I doubt snowboarding pants will stand up to asphalt very well.

cnizzle06

Banned
Rahk said:
Not sure what exactly you are looking for, but a Triumph Bonneville maybe?

[IM]http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/BonnevilleSE_2009_510x347.jpg[/IMG]

Probably a bit too powerful for a beginner though.

The stock SR400 is somewhat based on it with less power:

2010_sr400.jpg

Don't think they are available in the US though.

These are the type of bikes that I love anyway. :D

Yep.

It's being delivered next week.

Ah, yeah, that's exactly my taste I would say. It's unfortunate that they're not being sold in the US. I was looking at this one, which seems pretty decent:

2011-Suzuki-TU250X.jpg

Although I'd prefer if the side mirrors were flipped and if all the chrome was instead possibly black casted (maybe not though).

I also love the look of this one:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/xr1200x.html#/gallery

But that's a little too pricey for me. Not to mention, I suspect that's way too much for a beginner.

If you have anymore suggestion, I'd appreciate them :D

h1nch

So nearly 5 months after purchasing my first bike I'm finally getting around to taking the MSF course. I couldn't bring myself to take the course in the middle of summer here in Texas but now that the weather has cooled a bit it seemed like a good time.

I can't stress how helpful learning the basics in a controlled environment with a rider coach has been. I've only just done the first out of 3 days, and I'm already feeling way more comfortable on a bike. Prior to today I could barely ride around my neighborhood and felt like I was a danger to the parked cars (never had time / confidence to try and learn on my own), but today after class I took my bike for a spin around the neighborhood and felt pretty comfortable (still not used to the little things, like remembering to turn on/off my turn signal)

My goal is to practice practice practice this week until I'm totally comfortable operating the bike. Then I'll focus on riding out into traffic.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of two-wheeled GAF :D

Oh, here's my bike. Its an 04 EX500. Not much to look at, and its been dropped/been in a wreck, but it runs great and has plenty of torque without feeling too dangerous to a newb like me.

4641101106_e4043fe628_z.jpg

h1nch said:
Oh, here's my bike. Its an 04 EX500. Not much to look at, and its been dropped/been in a wreck, but it runs great and has plenty of torque without feeling too dangerous to a newb like me.

Glad to hear it's going well. And nice bike!

It was two years ago today -

4532278203_83707f248a.jpg

5151442178_aec4fd8f1a_z.jpg

To celebrate I think I'll go for a spin (bundled up a bit of course) and test out my new gloves - Knox Handroid.

5151435426_b801a127b3.jpg

5150826485_e2973b2393.jpg

Amazingly comfortable and not even yet been used. Really like 'em so far.

thesoapster said:
It was two years ago today -

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4532278203_83707f248a.jpg
[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/5151442178_aec4fd8f1a_z.jpg

To celebrate I think I'll go for a spin (bundled up a bit of course) and test out my new gloves - Knox Handroid.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/5151435426_b801a127b3.jpg

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/5150826485_e2973b2393.jpg

Amazingly comfortable and not even yet been used. Really like 'em so far.[/QUOTE]

You and your Kangaroo crap. :P I'm debating whether to ride this weekend or not, it's getting fucking cold. :lol

And god damn is that black bonneville sexy.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You and your Kangaroo crap. :p I'm debating whether to ride this weekend or not, it's getting fucking cold. :lol

Bundle up! Get some Under Armour. It was certainly a brisk ride, but enjoyable (pretty this time of year). I can really feel my grips on my bars with the roo palm. Really nice gloves. You should give kangaroo crap a try man. :lol

The upper end (or maybe all?) Held gloves are completely kangaroo (and stingray!!).

thesoapster said:

5151435426_b801a127b3.jpg

5150826485_e2973b2393.jpg

Amazingly comfortable and not even yet been used. Really like 'em so far.

Those are badass. Match my helmet, too. How much?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

The Pacific blue SE does it for me. One of the nicest paint schemes out there imo.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Those are badass. Match my helmet, too. How much?

$250. The knuckle armor pieces didn't rub on my brake lever, either, which is surprising. I have ASV levers, and the brake is the shorty style (I brake with 1 finger) and is set one notch further from closest. I can also report they vent quite adequately for a full gauntlet glove (which actually was a downfall in 50F lower weather).

Damaged

Well after over a month of arguing with insurance companys i am finally getting my bike back tomorrow! cant wait to get out on it even if the weather has turned for the worse :D

warthog

My bike, a Honda deauville 650 from 2002. Been riding only since a couple of months and I like it. I hope to be on the road a lot next summer.

CIMG0183j.jpg

rass

warthog said:
My bike, a Honda deauville 650 from 2002. Been riding only since a couple of months and I like it. I hope to be on the road a lot next summer.

http://users.telenet.be/warthie/CIMG0183j.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
that looks like it would chew through long trips comfortably mate, great looking bike.

So I've done 1400kms since I got my Bandit 2 and a bit weeks ago. 1400km review: I love my bike more now than when I first got it. Such tractable power, so easy to ride sensibly and also quite easy to ride like a hooligan. Holds freeway speed effortlessly, corners beautifully. I've been taking the 40km long way to work almost every day instead of the 18km direct route, just so I can go through some twisty stuff :)

Happy riding all, stay safe.

Top Bottom