• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Damaged

Well i finally got a settlement through from a bike accident a few years back and there was enough there to get myself a new bike. Went into the local Aprilia dealership and fell in love with the dorsoduro 750 factory.

p05128_02871.jpg

They did me a deal and I'm getting it for the same price as the standard bike (not a huge difference between them, just a few carbon fibre panels and uprated suspension). Just got to find space in the garage for it next to the KTM.

Should be here in a couple of weeks so will post pictures when it arrives.

Does anyone have any pants they recommend that have good protection? I ordered the Scorpion XDR Awe from Revzilla but for the second time after saying they had a product in stock they didn't actually have any apparently and so now I have to find different pants since no one sells them in XL only 2XL+ it seems. Revzilla is such a shit website.

daw840 said:
I totally respect the "gear up" mentality and I thought the same way for quite a while. I don't know though, all that gear just gets fucking uncomfortable as shit for me. Hell, I ride in jeans and a Tshirt sometimes. I know it's fucking stupid, and if something happens I willl pay the price, but it just feels so much more freeing. I seem to be much more apt to actually gear up (I have a jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet) when the temp is in the 60s-70s, but I will not wear anything but a helmet and regular clothes when it gets hot.....my wife is the same way and she's a fucking ER nurse.

It means absolutely fuck all that your wife is a nurse and she does the same thing.

I rode in jeans this past year and it was fucking stupid, fortunately nothing ever happened but I know just from skateboarding jumping down short sets of stairs if I slid the jeans would rip and my knee would be ripped open. I can only imagine what it's like at like 10x the speed. It really comes down to how much you're willing to risk. It may be fun or cool to not have any safety gear but you will definitely pay the price when something happens. My perforated leather jacket keeps me very cool/warm depending on if the thermal layer is zippered in. I don't notice it unless I'm stopped for long periods of time, same with full face helmets. As long as you get a nice one you should be getting good airflow. Things happen and no matter how much experience you have you can still crash and get seriously seriously hurt for not using protective gear (You can google images if you need actual photos of things that happen). If you decide to wear nothing I sure can't say I agree but it's up to you and unless you want to wear the stuff you never will whether you buy it or not.

Anyone got some experience with KTM super duke?

I've got good deal for one, but being fan of sport bikes I'm bit hesitant

ktm_990_super_duke_2008_10_lgw.jpg

So, KTM Super Duke 990, 2008 year, that orange KTM color etc

Flo_Evans

Damaged said:
Well i finally got a settlement through from a bike accident a few years back and there was enough there to get myself a new bike. Went into the local Aprilia dealership and fell in love with the dorsoduro 750 factory.

They did me a deal and I'm getting it for the same price as the standard bike (not a huge difference between them, just a few carbon fibre panels and uprated suspension). Just got to find space in the garage for it next to the KTM.

HOT!

Nolimit_SS said:
Anyone got some experience with KTM super duke?

I've got good deal for one, but being fan of sport bikes I'm bit hesitant

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/used_bik...0000062_lg.jpg

So, KTM Super Duke 990, 2008 year, that orange KTM color etc

The super duke is a (naked) sportbike... funky styling, personally KTM's look better as dirt bikes. ;)

More pics,
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00847.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00848.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00858.jpg

Going to see it tomorrow and test drive it. Good thing is it won't cost me much because it will be part of a trade, hoping all turns out good :)

On other note, I asked around on some forums and got some good info, mainly that because of it's engine there's power at every RPN range and that those 120bhp are felt greatly

Damaged

Nolimit_SS said:
More pics,
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00847.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00848.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/oafboy182/DSC00858.jpg

Going to see it tomorrow and test drive it. Good thing is it won't cost me much because it will be part of a trade, hoping all turns out good :)

On other note, I asked around on some forums and got some good info, mainly that because of it's engine there's power at every RPN range and that those 120bhp are felt greatly
Had a KTM 640 supermoto for seven years, never regretted it once. KTM make great handling bikes and great engines. Only had a couple of goes on the superduke but left it with a big on my face grin everytime.

Cant remember what year it changed but the earlier bikes had smaller tanks on them, increased on later bikes and I think they put a slight lip on the cowling that was supposed to help with wind protection. Be prepared to ride like a lunatic all the time though, very hard to ride slowly :)

awilliams213 said:
Congrats that looks like a fun bike the back half reminds me of my Versys.
Cheers man, yeah i see what you mean. Think its the underseat exhaust.

Flo_Evans said:
Yep, couldnt resist it once I had seen it in the flesh. Got told the bike left italy a few days ago so should be here soon

Damaged said:
Had a KTM 640 supermoto for seven years, never regretted it once. KTM make great handling bikes and great engines. Only had a couple of goes on the superduke but left it with a big on my face grin everytime.

Cant remember what year it changed but the earlier bikes had smaller tanks on them, increased on later bikes and I think they put a slight lip on the cowling that was supposed to help with wind protection. Be prepared to ride like a lunatic all the time though, very hard to ride slowly :)

Cheers man, yeah i see what you mean. Think its the underseat exhaust :)

Yep, couldnt resist it once I had seen it in the flesh. Got told the bike left italy a few days ago so should be here soon :)

Nice, is weather nice enough by you so you can start riding once it arrives? Gotta be painful if you can't ride it the day you get it. :p

Damaged

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nice, is weather nice enough by you so you can start riding once it arrives? Gotta be painful if you can't ride it the day you get it. :p

Ill be out on it no matter what :) Its still fairly cool here (about 7 or 8c) and its patchy rain, (in the UK though so rain is kinda all year round lol) no snow or ice which is the main thing.

Thinking new gear may be in order as well as all my current gear is KTM branded and looking a little tatty after a few trips on the ground lol. Hein gerike seem to be pretty resonable so will check them out this weekend at some point.

gcubed

bought a new Victory Cross Roads 2 weeks ago... only had it out twice in the midst of nice weather, want to get my break in done by end of Feb so i dont have to worry about it, its AWESOME compared to my last bike (a 97 Suzuki Intruder)

here it is (same exact as mine, i dont have a pic yet)

t5cjs.jpg

Damaged

gcubed said:
bought a new Victory Cross Roads 2 weeks ago... only had it out twice in the midst of nice weather, want to get my break in done by end of Feb so i dont have to worry about it, its AWESOME compared to my last bike (a 97 Suzuki Intruder)

here it is

http://i.imgur.com/t5cjs.jpg

Nice bike man, not a huge fan of that style of bike but Victory's seem to have a really good reputation. Enjoy it :)

gcubed

Damaged said:
Nice bike man, not a huge fan of that style of bike but Victory's seem to have a really good reputation. Enjoy it :)

thanks, yeah they are supposedly made to last forever without issues. If you saw the size of me you'd understand why I like cruisers better (6'8 275lbs)

Damaged said:
Ill be out on it no matter what :) Its still fairly cool here (about 7 or 8c) and its patchy rain, (in the UK though so rain is kinda all year round lol) no snow or ice which is the main thing.

Thinking new gear may be in order as well as all my current gear is KTM branded and looking a little tatty after a few trips on the ground lol. Hein gerike seem to be pretty resonable so will check them out this weekend at some point.
Ah, sweet then. I live on a long uphilll driveway so for like the past month we've been barely able to walk up and still can't drive our cars up but it's supposed to be in the 50s this weekend and trying to figure how to get my bike down and then back up. :p

daw840

gcubed said:

here it is (same exact as mine, i dont have a pic yet)

t5cjs.jpg
That's beautiful man, I am actually selling my Infiniti so that I can buy a new Hammer S in the next month or two.

What products do you guys use for chain lube? I think its about time to get going on some maintenance for this season. Also any advice for easier application of the stuff or things i need to do beforehand would be excellent as well.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
What products do you guys use for chain lube? I think its about time to get going on some maintenance for this season. Also any advice for easier application of the stuff or things i need to do beforehand would be excellent as well.

Get a tool to do it with, don't use your hand....I'm sure that thread has been linked here before. Ugh.

Damaged said:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/armourofcod/p05128_02871.jpg

Very nice. Enjoy the shit out of that thing.

Dahellisdat said:

I recommend wet lube, not wax. I use a degreaser-type cleaner called Clean Up that really does an amazing job to clean the chain. Since you have to wash it off with water, I put some WD40 on to prevent rust. Wait a while, then chain lube. Has worked very nice for me and keeps the chain in great condition.

InertiaXr

I wasn't sure of any other place to ask this, so figured you guys would know as much as anybody.

I was hit on my bike last October and the guy was fully at fault etc I actually already received a 'property damage' check of about $3500 for my bike and gear which I only paid in total probably a little over 4k for, so I was happy about that. I however took most of the fall on my knee but luckily there was no structural damage, just a big road rash and it swelled up over the next couple days to a size half way to a damn basketball. I went to the ER the morning after it happened and went to a doctor a week after that, and had 6 physical therapy sessions over a month and a half to relax the swelling and muscles, get full movement and control over it etc etc. My question is does anybody have any idea what that will be worth in my 'pain and suffering' part of my settlement? I was on crutches for about 2 weeks and had a big soft removable cast on it for about 3 weeks. My girlfriend's mom works for a insurance company and she said my case is worth probably 7-10k. Does that sound right? Honestly I already got enough everything to replace what I paid originally so anything else would just be sweet and be put towards a new car.

daw840 said:
Get a tool to do it with, don't use your hand....I'm sure that thread has been linked here before. Ugh.

I remember the thread with the guy trying to clean it with a rag while it was running if that's the one you're thinking of... *pukes*

Mr Sandman said:
I just use spray-on chain lube (white grease shit). It's not the cleanest, but who likes clean enduros right? I just wipe the excess. Take it for a ride to get the chain warm, supposedly the heat helps retain the lube better.

I've heard people using kerosene to clean, not sure if it's safe on o-ring chains so you might want to look into it further. I've never done it.

And of course don't play with the chain while it's on (the bike), that pic gives me nightmares.

Kerosene is fine. It's what I used to use before using that Clean Up degreaser, though. Less fuss with the degreaser spray, tbh.

kylej

Banned
Dahellisdat said:
Also any advice for easier application of the stuff or things i need to do beforehand would be excellent as well.

I bought this over the winter.

http://www.chaindrain.com/

Heard a lot of very promising anecdotes about Bean Clean as a degreaser and that little stand thing seems like a good idea to keep overspray away. I'll let you know how it works in a few months.

Praying I can get the bike out of storage during Spring Break...

Damaged

Picked up the bike yesterday, bloody hell its fast. That engine is a great lump and pulls like nothing else, cant take it past 6 thou rpm at the moment while its running in so looking forward to seeing where the powerband ends :)

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

rass

Damaged - that is a damn sexy bike.
also, undecided yet but...

I'm thinking of selling my Bandit 1250sa (that I only got last October) while I can still get over $10k for it then picking up a second hand GS500 for ~$4.5k and paying the rest off some sizable debt I have. I feel like the Bandit is going to get me into trouble, and it's kind of big and heavy for the commuting I do. Decisions decisions. I'd love to get a drz400 or something but the tiny tank (and range) is a killer for me.

thoughts?

Damaged

rass said:
Damaged - that is a damn sexy bike.
also, undecided yet but...

I'm thinking of selling my Bandit 1250sa (that I only got last October) while I can still get over $10k for it then picking up a second hand GS500 for ~$4.5k and paying the rest off some sizable debt I have. I feel like the Bandit is going to get me into trouble, and it's kind of big and heavy for the commuting I do. Decisions decisions. I'd love to get a drz400 or something but the tiny tank (and range) is a killer for me.

thoughts?

Thanks man its great fun :)

How long is your commute? used to have a drz400 enduro and it got about 90 to 100 miles out of the tank pretty happily. Only bad thing i would say about them is that the seat is like a plank of wood, gel seat is a must.

Clearing debt is always a good idea, means you can buy more bikes later down the road ;)

rass

Damaged said:
Thanks man its great fun :)

How long is your commute? used to have a drz400 enduro and it got about 90 to 100 miles out of the tank pretty happily. Only bad thing i would say about them is that the seat is like a plank of wood, gel seat is a must.

Clearing debt is always a good idea, means you can buy more bikes later down the road ;)
my commute is only about 20kms each way, none of it on freeways. But I'm still at the servo twice a week. Plus I've done 6,000kms since I got the bike and it's due for a new rear tyre already :/

The only thing I would miss if I traded to a smaller bike would be the balls-to-the-wall acceleration, but that could be a good thing for my license haha.

Damaged said:
Picked up the bike yesterday, bloody hell its fast. That engine is a great lump and pulls like nothing else, cant take it past 6 thou rpm at the moment while its running in so looking forward to seeing where the powerband ends :)

Gorgeous bike.

Triumph dealership near me is selling a 2010 Bonneville (in blue, no less) for $7000. I need to raise $8000 in tuition in the next 6 months, I just don't have the money to get it :(

Damaged

rass said:
my commute is only about 20kms each way, none of it on freeways. But I'm still at the servo twice a week. Plus I've done 6,000kms since I got the bike and it's due for a new rear tyre already :/

The only thing I would miss if I traded to a smaller bike would be the balls-to-the-wall acceleration, but that could be a good thing for my license haha.

Honestly i think you would enjoy the acceleration still, a big Single will pull really well from a standstill. The only thing you will miss is the top end speed. Tyres are always an issue no matter what bike your on im afraid, its just finding the right level of grip for you against how much you want to pay.

thesoapster said:
Gorgeous bike.

Hello, GAF!

Well, basically, I need transportation. I want to buy a bike mostly because I want to save on gas, plus, I always wanted to ride a motorcycle.

I'm a starter, so I don't want to buy a very big bike. What do you guys think about the Yamaha V Star 250cc? I really like that model, specially for the V Twin engine.

I want to buy the motorcycle by December, so I probably will get a 2012 model. I'm waiting until December because I want to buy it in cash with my Christmas bonus.

Is it a good bike for beginners? Any other suggestions?

2010_Yamaha_V-Star_250.jpg

rass

Damaged said:
Honestly i think you would enjoy the acceleration still, a big Single will pull really well from a standstill. The only thing you will miss is the top end speed. Tyres are always an issue no matter what bike your on im afraid, its just finding the right level of grip for you against how much you want to pay.

I don't know If I'd miss top end speed to be honest. Our freeways are 100km/h (62.5mph), and we have some fairly overzealous cops here. If you get done at 25kms over the limit (or over 130kms) for example, your license is suspended for a month. 45kms over? Bike is impounded for 2 days on first offence. There is nowhere in my state to go more than 110km/h without the risk of large fines, except for racetracks. Still have some thinking to do, leaning towards a trade of some sort at the moment though. Just something a bit lighter preferably.

As or tyres… I know :( was just having a sook haha.

Fernando Rocker said:
Hello, GAF!

Well, basically, I need transportation. I want to buy a bike mostly because I want to save on gas, plus, I always wanted to ride a motorcycle.

I'm a starter, so I don't want to buy a very big bike. What do you guys think about the Yamaha V Star 250cc? I really like that model, specially for the V Twin engine.

I want to buy the motorcycle by December, so I probably will get a 2012 model. I'm waiting until December because I want to buy it in cash with my Christmas bonus.

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/P/z/-/-/2010_Yamaha_V-Star_250.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
My suggestion is to get a second hand bike for your first, almost every motorcyclist I know has dropped a bike at some point, it's easier to let an old bike drop than a shiny new one.
I have no knowledge of the bike you are looking at (or cruisers in general) sorry.

Also, do a bit of research into total cost of ownership, you might find the bike costs more to own than a car, just something to consider.

That said, I love bikes and don't like driving cars, and I think the extra cost/effort is worth it.

daw840

Fernando Rocker said:
Hello, GAF!

If you are going with a V-Star, get at the very least a 650. Anything less than that and you will be so under powered it's borderline dangerous. My wife, whom I basically conned into buying a motorcycle, bought a brand new 650 last year and is already wanting to move up to a Harley Sportster 1200. If you can't handle the power of a V-Star 650, you shouldn't be riding IMO.

Damaged

rass said:
I don't know If I'd miss top end speed to be honest. Our freeways are 100km/h (62.5mph), and we have some fairly overzealous cops here. If you get done at 25kms over the limit (or over 130kms) for example, your license is suspended for a month. 45kms over? Bike is impounded for 2 days on first offence. There is nowhere in my state to go more than 110km/h without the risk of large fines, except for racetracks. Still have some thinking to do, leaning towards a trade of some sort at the moment though. Just something a bit lighter preferably.

As or tyres… I know :( was just having a sook haha.

Christ thats some keen police you got there! You can have allot of fun on a smaller bike at legal speeds to be honest, the KTM I have is pretty damn uncomfortable over about 80mph so I try to find the twistiest possible roads and see how quick I can take them. Way more fun than blasting in a straight line and you don't end up with a square back tyre :)

Also if your looking at a DRZ400 there is always off road ;)

Fernando Rocker said:
Hello, GAF!

I agree with Daw here. I would recommend taking the MSF course first. There, you'll most likely learn how to ride on a provided 250cc bike and you'll see why you would want a little bit more power for getting around outside of a training course.

I was originally looking at getting the V-Star 650 or a Honda Shadow 750 brand new for my first bike. I ended up coming across a used Kawasaki Vulcan 500 and ended up going with that. I am definitely happy with it. Not overwhelmingly powerful but it definitely has enough juice to get you anywhere you would ever want to go so long as you don't have a craving to speed incredibly fast.

IMG_3409.jpg

Being underpowered AND not being agile are a bad combination. I second getting a used bike for the first time. A Ninja 250 is light, easy to learn on and has plenty of power to get started on. That Vstar you posted is heavy and not very maneuverable compared to the sportbike geometry of the Ninja. It you want to get a cruiser style, I agree with the others, you need a larger displacement to offset the weight of the bike (and slow steering). But I still recommend a sportbike over a cruiser. The ninja is more like a standard (more upright and roomy) than a race oriented bike.

MSF course and good gear head to toe are a requirement if you want to live any length of time on a bike.

Fernando Rocker said:
Why is it dangerous to ride an underpowered bike? Do you feel the other cars moving you because of the small motorcycle?
I don't think it would be dangerous to get a VStar 250. Its just good to have the capability to accelerate/maintain speed with the traffic surrounding you.

Also if you have the need to accelerate to avoid a collision...i've had to do this before.

Damaged said:

DSC_0026.jpg

Nice bike! 4 valves per cylinder right? Should see you well sorted to somewhere up to 9000revs.

My 2valved 1100 Monster goes up to 8, 8.5 maybe. But most of the power is delivered well before that.

Damaged

Fallout-NL said:
Nice bike! 4 valves per cylinder right? Should see you well sorted to somewhere up to 9000revs.

My 2valved 1100 Monster goes up to 8, 8.5 maybe. But most of the power is delivered well before that.

Cheers! yeah its run out of steam about the 9.5 mark really, power starts low and really starts to build at 6 thou.

AiTM

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Hello, GAF!

In Jan I bought an 09 ninja 250r for 2,600 bucks. A good deal considering it was basically a brand new bike with only 400 miles on it. This is my first bike too. Im starting out now just riding around my block getting used to the shifting and handling of it. I plan to take a MSF course in the next month or two. Anyways I really enjoy the bike. It feels like it has a little bit of power to it, but also light and maneuverable. Also if you look at these bikes, they maintain resale value very well, and at a cheap starting price to begin with. I really recommend it, and all the 2008 models and up have the new body style that is in line with other Ninjas, and looks nice and sporty.

Edit: Heres a bad pic of it.
kcmmc1.jpg

AiTM said:
In Jan I bought an 09 ninja 250r for 2,600 bucks. A good deal considering it was basically a brand new bike with only 400 miles on it. This is my first bike too. Im starting out now just riding around my block getting used to the shifting and handling of it. I plan to take a MSF course in the next month or two. Anyways I really enjoy the bike. It feels like it has a little bit of power to it, but also light and maneuverable. Also if you look at these bikes, they maintain resale value very well, and at a cheap starting price to begin with. I really recommend it, and all the 2008 models and up have the new body style that is in line with other Ninjas, and looks nice and sporty.

kcmmc1.jpg

Dayum, it looks nice! And at an excellent price too.

I'm more of a cruiser kind of guy tho...

Fernando Rocker said:
Dayum, it looks nice! And at an excellent price too.

I'm more of a cruiser kind of guy tho...
I am too, man. I might suggest going ahead and signing up and taking the class before you buy one. It will at least give you a feel for riding and sometimes they'll even have a dual sport or sport bike you could try to compare and see whats most comfortable. Around here the classes fill up for the spring pretty quick too, so you may want to look into it soon.

Here's a pic of my 99 R6. Just bought if off my mate for a steal as he was about to trade it in and it certainly has some pace compared to my old Across.
IMG_0005-1.jpg

He'd put on that pipe, put on a K&N filter and had it dyno jetted making 102hp at the tread.

Can't fault it at all! Just gotta pick up some leathers for a track day now.

AiTM said:

kcmmc1.jpg

I hate you, you basically stole it for only $2600. They were only under $3000 by me if it was dropped...

I think I may need new brakes and tires but don't know when I need to change the brakes.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I hate you, you basically stole it for only $2600. They were only under $3000 by me if it was dropped...

I think I may need new brakes and tires but don't know when I need to change the brakes.

The brakes are in clear view, so just take a look at it. If it looks like the pad's are low, then you'll have to change it. Low as in being less than like 5mm or so. If you don't know how pads look, hopefully this video will help you: http://www.ehow.com/video_4956938_check-motorcycle-brakes.html

Anyone have recommendations for new helmets? My Shoei RF1000 is about 5 years old now, so I think it's about time to retire it. Been wanting to try something new, but not sure what to get. Looking mainly at either the Arai RX-Q or AGV T2 or Gp Tech.

Top Bottom