• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

4999855399_68c2805c24_z.jpg

My 05 636. Had it for about 2 months now, my cousin owned it right before me. Recently installed full titanium akrapovic exhaust, pc3 and gpr steering dampner.

Funky Functionality said:
Who else is going to brave the winter on 2 wheels?

I love riding in the winter in Texas. No snow, and it feels damn good outside :D

Damaged

Never missed a winter other than when i had an accident, wont miss this one either seeing as i finally have the bike back from the insurance company :D

IMG-20101109-00005.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I still haven't replaced the Thruxton that got trashed. Waiting for the bitterly cold winter to come in Chicago to go get a deal ona bike. And have the miserably wonderful ride back home.

Scarecrow

Rode to work and back all winter last year here in Tampa. I usually get out of work b/n 1-3 am, so it's as cold as it can get for the day. Last year was an especially cold winter (record setting I think). I had not so fond memories of trying to brush off frozen dew from my seat. Hopefully this year will be a tad warmer.

What are some good cold weather tips?

rass

Scarecrow said:
Rode to work and back all winter last year here in Tampa. I usually get out of work b/n 1-3 am, so it's as cold as it can get for the day. Last year was an especially cold winter (record setting I think). I had not so fond memories of trying to brush off frozen dew from my seat. Hopefully this year will be a tad warmer.

dress for the conditions - you can't concentrate on riding a motorcycle if you're concentrating on being damn uncomfortable

that's all I got.

Scarecrow said:

Layers. Make sure you have good temperature protection for your extremities (gloves, boots). I put my helmet's chin curtain back in, reduces air flow into the helmet from around the china region. I'll also wear a warm fuzzy neck band (kind of like what a lot of skiers and snowboarders wear). If it's really cold you could also wear a thin face mask. I usually wear Under Armour under my jacket etc, but if it was really cold I would also put on like a sweatshirt or something over my jacket to help trap heat/keep cold out. I wear Under Amour leggings also with my leg wear.

As for riding, avoid ice/snow. I went for a ride in January and there was this ice patch that had not melted at a stop sign. Sliding on ice on a motorcycle is really not cool. In general give more relaxed throttle delivery. This depends on the kind of bike and its tires, but as a general rule of thumb the colder roads will not give the same grip (this is especially pertinent if you have ever broken rear traction in a corner...it happens a lot more when the roads are cold).

Toby

I still have another month left to ride on my bike, when fall semester ends. Not really too fun in Utah though. Had to ride in the rain in the rain the other day, wore shorts because of it, then had to ride back when it was in the lower 30s and snowing.
Apparently my uncle used to ride year round around here. Can't imagine how careful you would have to be with all the ice though.

entremet

I'm looking to pick up a beginner bike. I'm getting my motor cycle license soon. What's a good beginner bike? I'm also 6 feet, not too tall, but I hear some models aren't great fits depending on your height.

entrement said:
I'm looking to pick up a beginner bike. I'm getting my motor cycle license soon. What's a good beginner bike? I'm also 6 feet, not too tall, but I hear some models aren't great fits depending on your height.

Read the previous page.

entrement said:

Well, take the MSF course first, and then when it comes time to bike shop you may have a bit of a better idea as to what may fit you. Sit on bikes at shops. The Kawasaki Ninja 250R is a highly recommended beginner bike. It's easy to ride and every piece of it has been proven over years. That, and resale value is very high. You cannot go wrong with that bike. Honda is releasing their own 250 bike that looks pretty neat, too, but it's a single cylinder instead of a twin. Still may be worth a look, though. As for an "upper limit", you can technically start on a bigger bike (even 600cc inline four), but it's much harder to acclimate and the risk of you crashing it/dropping it/hurting yourself are much higher than on a slower machine that's easier to manage. A 500 is usually considered acceptable. I recommend buying your first bike used if you can. Invest in good gear.

For that kind of money? Get a Desmosedici RR.

I also often wonder how it works when you reach the -already limited- capacity of the battery. Do you have increasingly smaller amounts of power at your disposal? Like you used to with remote control cars?

A couple months ago my battery struggled in getting my bike started. From that ride up to now I rode a bit harder/more aggressive (and made sure I rode more often). No more starting issues. Still, HIDs, PCV...can't be easy on the battery; the bike has been sitting almost a month without being ridden. I got a battery tender and just tonight pulled the battery so I could make sure it's fully charged. Damn thing reports being fully charged in about an hour (guess that riding paid off) :lol

Putting it back in and checking pressure etc, then tomorrow, since it will get into the low 50s, I am riding. Happy fucking new year, 2 wheel GAF :D

edit: Wow. fail. I had a fun time on the ride but it was cold. I should've added another layer to my legs (like sweatpants or something) under the riding pants. My thighs have never been that cold before for a sustained period of time, I think. It did get better as the day went on and it got a bit warmer but the damage had been done. I have a pretty bad cold now (I never get sick; the last cold I got was after a horrible drinking experience). :lol

My ride, Buell XB12X "07 with me and the miss, picture was taken at the famous moutain pass Col du Galibier France.

gaja10.jpg

Love it. Only ride twins. I'm in for the torque.

Aiming for a bmw R1200GS when I'll get around saving up enough cash (ie light years away).

I used to ride to work during winter for years. I had to stop. Just ruined my bikes doing it. I got a car license but never owned one, so its the bus during winter and bicycle when the sun is out. :p

Karud

Fallout-NL said:
For that kind of money? Get a Desmosedici RR.

I also often wonder how it works when you reach the -already limited- capacity of the battery. Do you have increasingly smaller amounts of power at your disposal? Like you used to with remote control cars?

Electric cars and bikes are much more effecient than their fossil-powered grandparents. But like you said, the battery is the weakest point atm.

RustyO

I've been wondering where this thread was...

The Morrígan (Kawasaki Ninja ZX6r 2009) here :D

Here's a pic of the Morrígan in pea soup:

05PeaSoup.jpg

And the Morrígan on a beautiful highway over the top of a mountain range:

06SMHwy.jpg

And here's a photo of my best friend sitting on Moose (KTM LC4) somewhere in the Alps...

KTM08.jpg

Flo_Evans said:
Has anyone here ever ridden the "Tail of the Dragon" at deals gap?

I want to go so bad... :D

Planning to if I manage to organise a Mexico/USA/Canada road trip over summer :D

i.e. if I get the time off work, save some money and go for a month or two

Would need some good advice from gaffers on the US bike situation...

RustyO

YuriLowell said:
So my mother freaked out to the reaction of owning a motorcycle.

How does 2 wheel gaf defuse parentals.

Im 22 years old for fucks sake I should be able to do whatever I want.

Looks like it might be time to buy storage and hide a motorcycle there.

They stress less as you get older, by 30 they are cool with it... course by then, you've probably got a wife and kids not wanting you to ride :lol

RustyO said:
They stress less as you get older, by 30 they are cool with it... course by then, you've probably got a wife and kids not wanting you to ride :lol

There, once you get a wife and/or kids, things will get harder.

Do it before you get yourself engaged and before you are a father.

On the other hand, it is perfectly normal that your mother gets crazy, sons and bikes aren't compatible.

I always had a bike as far as I remember. My dad being a rider helped too, so my mother saw it a natural evolution in my life I guess.

Best advice I could give you, listen first to what your mother tells you and work from there. Step by step. Perhaps, a 125cc could be the first step.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I was 21 when I bought my Kawasaki ninja 250r, my first bike. Perfect bike to start out on imo. I'm 24 in march, and I still have it. Not too small not to get anywhere, but not big enough to kill me (well any bike is, but you get what i'm saying). Top speed is around 110.

It's the winter so most of my attention is on my car now, but I think I'll keep my bike for one more spring/summer before I sell it.

Not sure If i'll get a bigger bike, or just save the cash and get another bike in a few years or so. I'd like to take a 1000+ mile road trip on it before I get rid of it though. Maybe through the mountains.

Nice ZX6, RustyO. My favorite 600 out there right now.

Bad_Boy said:
Not sure If i'll get a bigger bike, or just save the cash and get another bike in a few years or so. I'd like to take a 1000+ mile road trip on it before I get rid of it though. Maybe through the mountains.

To be honest there is no reason you have to go bigger. If you mainly do touring style riding, I think you'd be better served by a bike with a bigger engine, though. When you know what you're doing, big bikes tackle uphills easier, and come out of corners better. Plus, if you're serious about touring, you're kind of forced in a way to get a bigger bike (unless you just modded your 250 extensively).

The_Squirrel_Menace said:
My ride, Buell XB12X "07 with me and the miss, picture was taken at the famous moutain pass Col du Galibier France.

gaja10.jpg

Love it. Only ride twins. I'm in for the torque.

Aiming for a bmw R1200GS when I'll get around saving up enough cash (ie light years away).
XB12X is a fun ride. I'll pass along your thoughts to Mr. Buell.

RustyO said:
And the Morrígan on a beautiful highway over the top of a mountain range:

06SMHwy.jpg

Love this shot! How do you find it for comfort? I've never taken my Ninja on a road trip, it always felt like too much of a crotch rocket to sit on for hours & hours. It's the main reason that as much fun as the Ninja is, my next bike will be a standard.

RustyO

LiveFromKyoto said:
Love this shot! How do you find it for comfort? I've never taken my Ninja on a road trip, it always felt like too much of a crotch rocket to sit on for hours & hours. It's the main reason that as much fun as the Ninja is, my next bike will be a standard.

Not too bad... that shot was taken as part of a 5,500+ km road trip :D

I find her wonderful all things considered, and you are not so hunched over that you can't sit up a bit and stretch.

Caveat: Did I mention that the Morrígan and me are in love?

daw840

Cyan said:
Question for motorcycle GAF. As a total noob, what would I need to get started, and how much is it likely to cost? (I'm in California)

I'm assuming I'll need:
-the bike
-safety gear
-some kind of class?
-motorcycle license
-insurance

Anything else?
You can get a workable starter bike for 2000, gear for 500 or less, and insurance is really cheap for liability only.

kylej

Banned
My new fairings come the day before we get another 2 feet of snow. Toss me a bone, winter. Toss me a bone. 2 months without a ride right now and I'm jonesing.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
daw840 said:
You can get a workable starter bike for 2000, gear for 500 or less, and insurance is really cheap for liability only.

Where could one go and look for a cheaper bike? I'm in Cali along with Cyan and really thinking about getting a bike. I've wanted one for a long time now, but my Dad has always talked me out of it. Now I think its about time.

And is insurance that cheap? Always thought it would be expensive even for liability....

kylej

Banned
Kastrioti said:
Where could one go and look for a cheaper bike? I'm in Cali along with Cyan and really thinking about getting a bike. I've wanted one for a long time now, but my Dad has always talked me out of it. Now I think its about time.

And is insurance that cheap? Always thought it would be expensive even for liability....

Craigslist. Look for a carbed Ninja 250 for ~$1500. Ride for a year, sell for $100 less than you bought it for.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Cyan said:
Question for motorcycle GAF. As a total noob, what would I need to get started, and how much is it likely to cost? (I'm in California)

I'm assuming I'll need:
-the bike
-safety gear
-some kind of class?
-motorcycle license
-insurance

Anything else?

Some kind of tire repair kit and knowing how to use it. Nothing sucks worse than riding way out somewhere on a nice twisty road and picking up a screw in your tire and being forced to hoof it back to civilization pushing a 350lb anchor along in full leathers...

for gear use
http://motorcyclegear.com
textile and/or mesh jacket and pants could be had for less than $200.
Oh, and get a rainsuit.
It doesn't rain often here in SoCal but when it does, you'll be thankful. I did 100 or so miles in the rain this weekend and it really is no biggie for me.

rass

emomoonbase said:
Some kind of tire repair kit and knowing how to use it. Nothing sucks worse than riding way out somewhere on a nice twisty road and picking up a screw in your tire and being forced to hoof it back to civilization pushing a 350lb anchor along in full leathers...
Listen to this man.

edit:
hot damn! My bandit weighs 560lb apparently :/

Scarecrow

I'm not really an expert, but I'd recommend taking a riding class for it first, just to see if you like it (you will!).

Start with MSF to acquire an M endorsement/license. If you still want to do it and continue (almost all do), get a functioning but somewhat beat smaller used bike to hone your skills. For gear I recommend leather jacket (perforated if in warmer climate) with full CE armor (shoulders, elbows, and spine guard...chest is nice to have, also). I learned the hard way that having softer, non-CE armor can allow for greater injury, so make sure it's certified. Gauntlet (over the cuff) style gloves are nicest and will give best protection. Steel toe boots can usually function for riding but a pair of riding boots will protect better and likely you can find some that function better for the sport of riding. Get a helmet that meets DOT/ECE standards and/or DOT/SNELL M2010. I usually point people towards the Shark RSR2, Shoei RF-1100 (X-Twelve is also acceptable but pricey unless you shop around), or practically any current AGV helmet. I'm getting testing info from http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/. I recommend 5/5 stars for impact absorption, as that will be a huge factor in preventing injury in the event that you have an accident. The most important part is fit, though, as a poor-fitting helmet won't work for you at all. That is why the helmets I mentioned above will include an option that is more or less guaranteed to fit your head. Shoei fits me best, but I love the damn Shark helmet, too. Just can't wear them conveniently. So, get the shop to help out with selection. Because it's your head, I always recommend investing what you think your head is worth to you. That doesn't mean buying the priciest will be best. I have the X-Twelve, but the RF-1100 will protect equally well. They just have different amenities. That said, pretty much all the helmets I mentioned will be pricier than Icon, HJC, KBC, Fulmer, etc. Please don't let that deter you. Now, a lot of "gear up" guys differ mostly on pants choice. I see so many wearing a jacket, gloves, boots...and jeans. I fractured my pelvis in jeans. Fuck wearing jeans by themselves. Kevlar-reinforced jeans would not have helped (I got next to no road rash). I needed to have armor around the hip region, which I do have now. So, I recommend using riding pants + armor leggings (if there is no armor or it's insufficient in the pants). No leather pant that zips to my jacket is perforated, so I'd die during most of the season. Two piece leather setups are not a bad idea, just make sure you can be comfortable (seek perforation if necessary). If you're sweating to death you will not be able to focus and you will start to not enjoy riding as much because it's an uncomfortable PITA (plus you'll be less safe). So, do try and be comfy, but try to protect yourself as best as you can in the process. If the time does come you will be glad you did.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Start with MSF to acquire an M endorsement/license. If you still want to do it and continue (almost all do), get a functioning but somewhat beat smaller used bike to hone your skills. For gear I recommend leather jacket (perforated if in warmer climate) with full CE armor (shoulders, elbows, and spine guard...chest is nice to have, also). I learned the hard way that having softer, non-CE armor can allow for greater injury, so make sure it's certified. Gauntlet (over the cuff) style gloves are nicest and will give best protection. Steel toe boots can usually function for riding but a pair of riding boots will protect better and likely you can find some that function better for the sport of riding. Get a helmet that meets DOT/ECE standards and/or DOT/SNELL M2010. I usually point people towards the Shark RSR2, Shoei RF-1100 (X-Twelve is also acceptable but pricey unless you shop around), or practically any current AGV helmet. I'm getting testing info from http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/. I recommend 5/5 stars for impact absorption, as that will be a huge factor in preventing injury in the event that you have an accident. The most important part is fit, though, as a poor-fitting helmet won't work for you at all. That is why the helmets I mentioned above will include an option that is more or less guaranteed to fit your head. Shoei fits me best, but I love the damn Shark helmet, too. Just can't wear them conveniently. So, get the shop to help out with selection. Because it's your head, I always recommend investing what you think your head is worth to you. That doesn't mean buying the priciest will be best. I have the X-Twelve, but the RF-1100 will protect equally well. They just have different amenities. That said, pretty much all the helmets I mentioned will be pricier than Icon, HJC, KBC, Fulmer, etc. Please don't let that deter you. Now, a lot of "gear up" guys differ mostly on pants choice. I see so many wearing a jacket, gloves, boots...and jeans. I fractured my pelvis in jeans. Fuck wearing jeans by themselves. Kevlar-reinforced jeans would not have helped (I got next to no road rash). I needed to have armor around the hip region, which I do have now. So, I recommend using riding pants + armor leggings (if there is no armor or it's insufficient in the pants). No leather pant that zips to my jacket is perforated, so I'd die during most of the season. Two piece leather setups are not a bad idea, just make sure you can be comfortable (seek perforation if necessary). If you're sweating to death you will not be able to focus and you will start to not enjoy riding as much because it's an uncomfortable PITA (plus you'll be less safe). So, do try and be comfy, but try to protect yourself as best as you can in the process. If the time does come you will be glad you did.

I totally respect the "gear up" mentality and I thought the same way for quite a while. I don't know though, all that gear just gets fucking uncomfortable as shit for me. Hell, I ride in jeans and a Tshirt sometimes. I know it's fucking stupid, and if something happens I willl pay the price, but it just feels so much more freeing. I seem to be much more apt to actually gear up (I have a jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet) when the temp is in the 60s-70s, but I will not wear anything but a helmet and regular clothes when it gets hot.....my wife is the same way and she's a fucking ER nurse.

daw840 said:
I totally respect the "gear up" mentality and I thought the same way for quite a while. I don't know though, all that gear just gets fucking uncomfortable as shit for me. Hell, I ride in jeans and a Tshirt sometimes. I know it's fucking stupid, and if something happens I willl pay the price, but it just feels so much more freeing. I seem to be much more apt to actually gear up (I have a jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet) when the temp is in the 60s-70s, but I will not wear anything but a helmet and regular clothes when it gets hot.....my wife is the same way and she's a fucking ER nurse.

Get gear that you can comfortably ride in, then. Well-designed full face helmets flow air nicely. Perforated garments allow air flow. The only thing is you must keep moving. Back when I first started riding I tried a ride in shorts (I was dumb). The heat coming off the engine (especially if I slowed down/stopped) was a horrible feeling. Jeans were a bit better, but really you can get riding-appropriate pants that will be more comfortable than jeans in the heat...

My jacket isn't actually perforated. It does have some stretch panels that apparently breath, but it's just a lighter material (roo hide is thinner/lighter). I do get a breeze down the neck, but the trick really is to just keep moving. Now, the one time I spent a decent amount of time on a cruiser it was one with a full windshield. I cannot do that. My head was overheating because no air was hitting my body practically. F that.

Flo_Evans

It's counter-intuative, but a base layer of wicking long underwear under your protective layer can really help in the summer.

Just make sure to STAY hydrated, you will be sweating and the evaporation will cool you, but it will also dehydrate you very quickly.

ChanHuk said:
Anybody checking out the new Tiger 800?

Not particularly.

Any thoughts on the new Speed Triple front? Personally I like it better, but I know a lot of Triumph owners (OK practically all) are purists and want round lights. Not too hard of a switch to make, but I'd keep the new one myself.

thesoapster said:
Not particularly.

Any thoughts on the new Speed Triple front? Personally I like it better, but I know a lot of Triumph owners (OK practically all) are purists and want round lights. Not too hard of a switch to make, but I'd keep the new one myself.

I don't hate is as much as most seem to, but it doesn't really work for me.

Top Bottom