• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840

Once the bike has warmed up you should be seeing a stable rev count, but using the choke is normal with carbs. My Bonneville is so bad I can only start without choke after pulling over for petrol! I've been told rejetting can help but I don't care that much..

My wife's VStar 650 is carbureted, but I usually just choke it out and start riding. By the time I'm down the street a 1/2 mile or so it's all warmed up and ready to rock. Well, rock as well as it can with that little motor. heh

Dougald

I can do that with my ST1100, but the Triumph needs a few minutes warming up at least before I can ride off - if I neglect that the engine tends to stall at the lights/low revs. I find if I start the engine with full choke, then put on my gear and do my safety checks (lights, indicators, brakes, chain) that's enough time unless it's the middle of winter.

dorkimoe

I ended up taking the Safety Class this weekend and I just passed! I feel like I definitely could use some more practice in a safe environment though. I definitely will not be going straight on the road. I feel like they should have driven that point home further. I was on a dirtbike pretty much all weekend, the main thing i noticed was 1st gear blows ass on it. You literally could go 5mph max in first gear.

Will post more impressions of my first time ever riding later, my left wrist is hurting so bad from 2 straight days of clutch

I ended up taking the Safety Class this weekend and I just passed! I feel like I definitely could use some more practice in a safe environment though. I definitely will not be going straight on the road. I feel like they should have driven that point home further. I was on a dirtbike pretty much all weekend, the main thing i noticed was 1st gear blows ass on it. You literally could go 5mph max in first gear.

Will post more impressions of my first time ever riding later, my left wrist is hurting so bad from 2 straight days of clutch

Congrats! I know that feel, the bike I was using at MSF had a problem with going into neutral so I basically had to hold the clutch down all weekend.

Plans for first bike?

dorkimoe

Congrats! I know that feel, the bike I was using at MSF had a problem with going into neutral so I basically had to hold the clutch down all weekend.

Plans for first bike?
I want to get a 250cc something. Was hoping to get a used ninja for cheap. But not seeing anything cheap right now.

:(

Yeah I didn't even bother with neutral. I want to get back out there and practice. I really need to work on my taking off from a stop. Really sucks not to have a bike to practice on. :(

I want to get a 250cc something. Was hoping to get a used ninja for cheap. But not seeing anything cheap right now.

:(

Yeah I didn't even bother with neutral. I want to get back out there and practice. I really need to work on my taking off from a stop. Really sucks not to have a bike to practice on. :(

Where do you live and what's your budget? I might be able to find something for you.

dorkimoe

Where do you live and what's your budget? I might be able to find something for you.

61761 area code Illinois

Trying to get something around 1300 or less. Might be a stretch. Their was one for 900 last week before I took the class but its gone already. Going to keep my eye out.

61761 area code Illinois

Trying to get something around 1300 or less. Might be a stretch. Their was one for 900 last week before I took the class but its gone already. Going to keep my eye out.

Yeah, for that price you might need to hold out a bit longer to find something. Though there's an 06 250 here in Houston for $1500 right now lol.

02 ninja 500 for $2000 in Springfield
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/3827107455.html

03 ninja 250 for $1800 in Rochester
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/3807276151.html

You might be able to talk them down a bit, don't be afraid to haggle =]

demented

Been trying to sell my bike since December and I swear I've got less than 10 people call or be interested in, including that guy that was fucking with me for few days..
fml I'll never sell it, people don't like naked bikes in my country I guess

dorkimoe

Yeah, for that price you might need to hold out a bit longer to find something. Though there's an 06 250 here in Houston for $1500 right now lol.

02 ninja 500 for $2000 in Springfield
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/3827107455.html

03 ninja 250 for $1800 in Rochester
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/3807276151.html

You might be able to talk them down a bit, don't be afraid to haggle =]

AHh. See the only problem is I dont know how to get it from there to here haha. I definitely dont feel comfortable driving it back on the highway my first day

Got any friend that rides bikes that will go along with you?

Do this. If not, then try asking a friend with a truck (you'll need ramps and straps) to load it up and take it back for you. Or if any of your cars have a tow kit, go to uhaul and rent a motorcycle trailer for something like $20 for the day and bring it back that way.

TCRS

Banned
Yamaha has introduced a new naked bike today, the MT-09 (or FZ-09 in the US):

4.jpg

- Three cylinder 847cc
- $7990, £6799

I think I like it.

Kraftwerk

Howdy!

Got my license earlier today, and I want to purchase my first bike in 2 weeks or so.

I just don't know 100% what to get. I was about to buy a used 1986 Rebel 450 that is in perfect condition, but then after some research it seems like the parts are extremely hard to find. I am having a very hard time finding a 250 Rebel.

What are some other bikes in the same style, design. price-point etc..that I should be looking at?

daw840

Howdy!

Got my license earlier today, and I want to purchase my first bike in 2 weeks or so.

I just don't know 100% what to get. I was about to buy a used 1986 Rebel 450 that is in perfect condition, but then after some research it seems like the parts are extremely hard to find. I am having a very hard time finding a 250 Rebel.

What are some other bikes in the same style, design. price-point etc..that I should be looking at?

Have you looked at the VStars? My wife started on a 650 and it was perfect.

Dougald

Got my own dilemma here now..

Long story short, last night I agreed to sell my ST1100 (though I hadn't planned to sell it until next year). It is/was my winter/long distance bike so I need something as a replacement. No urgency as although I don't have a car I do have the Bonneville to run around on over the summer, but I need to start thinking about what to get as a replacement - I don't want another big tourer as I just find the ST too hard to park.

Anyone from GAF have any recommendations? My budget is around £2000 - I do all my own maintenance so something Japanese & reliable is probably the order of the day. Any style suggestions welcome but it needs to be something I ride all winter on salty roads, so lots of chrome is out!

I'm also coming from a 1100cc V4 so too much power isn't that much of a concern. But I want a bike small enough to filter/lane split as that was the only other thing I hated about the ST1100.

Hard luggage is definitely a requirement so if it doesn't have it, the bike needs to look reasonable with it installed!

I was thinking of:

Honda Transalp

VFR800

Any suggestions?

Dougald

Nothing wrong with the Dullsville, but as it's basically a baby Pan European and I've just sold mine, I'd like to try something different!

My wife is pushing me to get a Sports Tourer or an older model Tiger, which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact she's getting her license soon and will be riding one of my bikes...

Kraftwerk

Could one of you experienced riders explain better as to why they always say to get a 250-500cc as a beginner?

I mean isn't a 250cc cruise just as dangerous as a 500cc or a 1000cc but just more powerful?

I mean, if someone is using the bike for commuting and you are always at a certain speed, so why does it matter?

I good on a mint condition honda 1100rr and drove around the parking lot and I liked it.

Is it mainly that a lot of people get careless/tempted and push the 1000cc bike hard?

I will state that I am not getting something higher than 500cc due to insurance costs right now, just curious about this since I'm a newbie.

Dougald

If you accidentally drop the clutch on a big bike you're going to have a big problem. I had a couple of incidents when I was learning on a 125cc that would have resulted in much worse than embarrassment with a bigger engine

Once you have the proper training/have had some experience and gained the necessary motor skills, you can pretty much go ride most bikes. But I don't define what you have to do to get a license in North America "proper training", so that's why it's best to start small - a bigger bike will only magnify any mistakes you make.

Just took the Pan European out for a farewell ride and I think I'm probably right to sell it. It's absolutely fantastic to ride but just such a pain in the ass below 5mph for someone as short as me. I did however take the opportunity to run the engine a bit harder than normal to remind me how much power I'll be missing when I move back to the comparatively puny 60bhp Bonneville for the near future.

Dougald

Hmm, what do you guys reckon to the Fazer? It looks a bit odd but I kinda like the bike, and seems like it would be reasonably practical for winter

..though I can get a VFR 800 for about £300-500 more, still in budget and it's probably a much better bike..

big bikes weigh more, and if they're sport bikes, they can definitely present a challenge at low speeds and uneven surfaces for newbs -- especially since many supersports have snatchy throttles, weird low speed fueling, and skittish 1st gears, and the big cruisers have clumsy steering and dubious geometry. throw in bad clutch skills, and you'll have your first wheelie tumble; add in newb braking skills and you have a your first high-side. bad drop from 3rd to 2nd in a hot curve in a high-torque, high-rev engine? hello rear-wheel songbird and low-side! a year in the low-displacement bikes (or de-tuned mids) is essential. put your tesosterone aside, and learn to ride a slow bike well, and you'll get the most out of your dream ride later. good motorcycling is all about foresight, restraint, and strategy.

Dougald

Whoops. I'd settled on a VFR before deciding to do an insurance quote... let's just say I'm no longer looking at sport tourers!

Yamaha has introduced a new naked bike today, the MT-09 (or FZ-09 in the US):

4.jpg

- Three cylinder 847cc
- $7990, £6799

I think I like it.

That is one nice looking bike. I have a soft spot for naked bikes since my ninja 500 has a bunch of pieces taken off because they were damaged by previous owners.

Kraftwerk

Thank you for the advice guys.

I was going to buy a cafe racer style bike that was a 650cc as my first bike.

I admit that I was mainly going to do it because it looked fucking cool...

I stopped myself and swallowed my ego. I am going to get something like the CBR 125 and after a year or two of riding and getting confident, I shall move up to something else. Will save up until then too to get my 'dream bike'.

Whoops. I'd settled on a VFR before deciding to do an insurance quote... let's just say I'm no longer looking at sport tourers!

How much was the quote? And where you do you live. I'm always hearing about insane insurance costs, but where I live (Utah), and my insurance provider (State Farm) get their rates off engine displacement. My 650cc Versys is currently costing me $20 a month for "full coverage," and that is a pretty sporty bike and much faster/dangerous than my old 600cc but only $5 more a month.

daw840

Thank you for the advice guys.

I was going to buy a cafe racer style bike that was a 650cc as my first bike.

I admit that I was mainly going to do it because it looked fucking cool...

I stopped myself and swallowed my ego. I am going to get something like the CBR 125 and after a year or two of riding and getting confident, I shall move up to something else. Will save up until then too to get my 'dream bike'.

Uh....a 125 may be swinging too far in the other direction honestly. You're going to hate that bike after a week.

Kraftwerk

Uh....a 125 may be swinging too far in the other direction honestly. You're going to hate that bike after a week.

Still looking. Having a really hard time finding a 250. So far only been able to able either 400 or 650.

This is the bike I really want; guy is selling it at a really good price. Safety and certification done 2 weeks ago.

1983 Suzuki Gs650

bJpFIbU.jpg
650cc obviously, that is what worries me if it is too powerful.

Dougald

How much was the quote? And where you do you live. I'm always hearing about insane insurance costs, but where I live (Utah), and my insurance provider (State Farm) get their rates off engine displacement. My 650cc Versys is currently costing me $20 a month for "full coverage," and that is a pretty sporty bike and much faster/dangerous than my old 600cc but only $5 more a month.

I live in the UK, so... They wanted £700 a year for a theoretical 12 year old vfr800 worth £2000. Which is unvelieveable considering it will be garaged and I don't live in the city.

650cc obviously, that is what worries me if it is too powerful.

it's not too powerful per se, but as a n00b getting your legs, it'll probably larn ya some bad habits -- mostly involving downshifting. the powerful engine braking makes n00bs wanna ride the clutch in tight turns or middle low speed situations, which is a dangerous response to pick up. also, while the gs650 is one of the good ones in this case, many 600+ cc bikes have fiddly fueling and snatchy throttles, making the development of smooth, confident low speed skills harder than they need to be. a good 250-500 will teach you smoother, more subtle throttle feel safely, and help you feel confident making clean downshifts.

edit: also, if you have a lot of hilly streets, or live in an urban area, weight and center of gravity can be a serious issue for n00bs. aim for 300-500 lbs with a low-ish center of gravity, i.e. stay away from adventure and sport touring rides.

as i always say, there are beginner bikes, and there are bikes beginners can ride. sometimes, that's a critical distinction.

Dougald

Looks like I can get it down to around the £500 mark in ideal circumstances, which is far too much for something that's really all about getting me from A to B when my wife is at work with the car.

I could knock it down to around £300-400 if I get 3rd party + theft cover which is a bit more affordable. But if I were to get something like an old BMW F650 GS (which is much more practical), it would be around £200 for comprehensive cover.

I think I've decided on a Fazer 600, if I can find a decent, unmolested bike in my price range before something else comes up!

dorkimoe

So still shopping around for a used bike. Someone has a 2001 Suzuki GZ250 listed for cheap. My only concern is, I'm 6'3 and not sure if its going to be too small. I read reading around online and found quite a few people saying its not bad for someone over 6foot, but a few other reviews said its for smaller people .

Also someone had a ninja zxr600 for cheap too, really wanted it, but i dont want a 600 for my first bike, really want a ninja 250

Watevaman

Yeah, I just looked up the Air Flux and damn it looks nice. Almost looks like it could pass for a normal jacket if you wore riding jeans with it.

Dougald

Looks like a damn nice jacket for the heat, could have done with that in Monaco last year!

The weather in the UK has been so poor this year I'm already looking at heated jackets for the winter.. I've completely skipped summer gear

daw840

Thanks, only tested it out once but it's extremely airy. If you hold it up to the light you can see right through it (where it's not armored of course).

Top Bottom