• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
is it even worth it to play the first mass effect??

ive heard so much how mass effect 2 improves everything drastically. Could i just go straight to mass effect 2?

edit: also i have a radeon 5770 with 5 gigs of ram. will that allow me to play it in all its glory?

Yes x9001

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fuck it. You guys convinced me to pull the trigger on AP.

Somebody let me know if there are some performance mods out there that you suggest. Thanks.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising a worthy buy?

i imagine, though, that most any $3.00 with these production values is worth a try...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I have to wait 5 days to put funds on my paypall account.

NEED MASS ERECT 2 NAO! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Yaweee

Nothing really surprising today. DR2 same as its been on GG all week, Mass Effect is a few dollars more expensive than GG.

So Alpha Protocol is a good game, bugs and all? I might bite. Darksiders also interests me.

TrAcEr_x90 said:

ive heard so much how mass effect 2 improves everything drastically. Could i just go straight to mass effect 2?

edit: also i have a radeon 5770 with 5 gigs of ram. will that allow me to play it in all its glory?

Story, atmosphere, music, rpg elements, loot, all are better in ME1. There isnt really any loot at all in ME2. The only thing ME2 gets better is combat.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Someone convince me one way or the other on dead rising 2. Played the demo for case zero and it felt kind of bland. Just walking around zombies and avoiding them toget the medicine. Not exactly sure what I'm missing out on. Almost feel like I'd be better off playing L4d.

-Rogue5-

TrAcEr_x90 said:

I thought ME1 was better than ME2. There didn't seem to be nearly as many different types of armour/weapons and stuff (only upgrades to one or two suits) in ME2... It felt like they got rid of a lot of the openess of the first game, too (like on the Citadel).

In either case, you have to play it if only to bring over your save game. Also, the 5770 should be fine.

Ceebs

Zachack said:
I have to assume you haven't finished Risen or The Witcher because while The Witcher starts weak and ends strong/amazing, Risen starts strong and falls off a cliff in the last third with its endless repetitive dungeon crawls and unbalanced combat. And the less said of the final boss fight, the better.

I'd say it's worth $15, though.
I have finished both. The biggest issue of Risen is the last boss and the 10 second CG ending. It did not ruin the game or even diminish my enjoyment. It's a case of the Journey being so much better than the destination.

If you are in it for a story however The Witcher is no questions asked, the better game.

vocab

I <3 Memes said:
Are mass effect 1 and mass effect 2 usually both $20?

ME1 is usually $5. The deal today isn't that great. ME 2 for $10 is alright I guess.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i just wish the mass effect games had steam achievements. Also, do you guys think dead rising 2 will get any lower in price? possible?

No Capcom sucks with sales.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
DennisK4 said:
Everybody should own

Risen (2009 RPG GOTY)

Alpha Protocol

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

So much RPG goodness.
Dennis is recommending Mass Effect 2? It must be Christmas.

cicero

Forkball said:
For those wondering about Alpha Protocol:

The AI is dumb (you shouldn't even call it Artificial Intelligence because that implies some sort of intelligence), and it is the buggiest game I have ever played. However, the story is interesting if you're into spy stories about international espionage, corrupt governments, backstabs, world on verge of war etc. stuff and the dialogue system is great. If you like making choices and interactive cutscenes you should enjoy this game. However, it's hard to recommend this game because the gameplay is sort of just filler to get to the conversations. It's really love/hate, there's no inbetween.
This sounds horrible, might as well read a good spy thriller then?

Can't help it. I'm gonna pull the trigger on Darksiders. Got it on the ps3 but the ps3 controller doesn't sit well with me and certain games stop playing after meeting Uthane I believe his name was. PC version with 360 gamepad should be more than enough to get me through the entire game.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i just wish the mass effect games had steam achievements. Also, do you guys think dead rising 2 will get any lower in price? possible?

They do have there own achievements if that makes any difference for you.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Not during this year. It seems all the outlets its on are going down to 50%, and that's it.

If you do miss the sale on it this day, it is on at least two other websites, I believe, at 50% off.

Dennis

Banned
To people with PayPal issues: get a credit card.

I almost always use my credit card for online purchases. Much easier and no worries about having to make sure that their are money in the PAyPAl account.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm close to buying Alpha Protocol, but I don't usually like spy (or stealth) games, so I'll probably pass. More of a kill everything head on in broad daylight kinda guy.

MoFuzz

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I highly doubt it will drop any lower for this sale. Prolly next summer sale I could see it going lower.

K.Jack said:
Dennis is recommending Mass Effect 2? It must be Christmas.

Daigoro

this sale has been awesome so far. i made one purchase 2 days ago and i regretted it immediately.

there has been almost nothing i want at the prices being offered. saving me a ton of dough!

Darklord

Banned
However, it's hard to recommend this game because the gameplay is sort of just filler to get to the conversations. It's really love/hate, there's no inbetween.

But if I prefer dialog and choices in RPG's rather gameplay would it a love it thing then?

Yaweee

vocab said:
ME1 is usually $5. The deal today isn't that great. ME 2 for $10 is alright I guess.

No Capcom sucks with sales.

Yeah. ME1 goes on sale regularly for $5, so $10 is dumb.

Capcom sucks with sales, but it will, one day in the far future, be less than $20. Probably $15-ish sometime around next summer, based on their pricing and sales for DMC4 and RE5.

dream

I hate throwing this in here but direct2drive has Hot Pursuit up for $25 right now if anyone's been looking for it.

(along with an imminent 50% off sale on Vampire)

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
DennisK4 said:
I almost always use my credit card for online purchases. Much easier and no worries about having to make sure that their are money in the PAyPAl account.
meh. with PayPal i don't have to worry about a third party intercepting my CC# and using it for dastardly reasons (see: monoprice fiasco)

just spent a whopping $9 for Operation Flashpoint and Wings of Prey. both got good reviews and i'm ready to flex my GTX 460

Sysgen

Wings of Prey looks to have a serious amount of content for $6 ($13 if you add the expansion).

Avault
That’s why it was a pleasure to be asked to review Wings of Luftwaffe, which is an expansion of the already impressive Wings of Prey, by Gaijin Entertainment. Wings of Prey features a 20-mission single-player campaign with two to five missions in each of six historic battles, from the Battle of Britain all the way to the Battle of Berlin. In addition, it has 49 single missions, nine tutorial missions, a “training” feature that allows you to fly any of the 46 aircraft in the game in combat against up to 16 computer-controlled enemies, and four multiplayer modes. Wings of Luftwaffe adds two more aircraft, 10 more German single missions (which can also be played in co-op mode online with friends), and approximately 40 new skins for the aircraft.

To european people
Alpha protocol was sold in Spain with the usual spanish subs (ive been looking now thorught the internets, and yeah, there is a spanish option), but in the steam page it says theres no spanish language option /states there are other european laguages, but not spanish, what makes it very strange)

Can someone confirm in their options menu if you can put the game in spanish (I mean, not voices, only talking about subs).

kai3345

Banned
Shit. I just noticed the Indie Heavy Hitters pack.

Shattered Horizons and Zeno Clash look like the most interesting of the pack, how are they?

Ceebs

Darklord said:
But if I prefer dialog and choices in RPG's rather gameplay would it a love it thing then?
As I said earlier, the effect your choices have in this game are like a generation ahead of it's time. It's not all silly good/evil choices either. You have various attitudes that you pick in dialog and those play off the personality of who you are talking to. A lot of it is very subtle which in my opinion is a good thing compared to the Saint/Psychopath options you see in most games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Two questions:

1) Is Darksiders good? It looks like God of War lite, and I already don't like God of War that much because it's just DMC lite.

2) How does Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe work? Is the DLC all managed through Steam, or is the actual download itself different than if you were to just buy vanilla Mass Effect 2? Cuz I already have the retail CE, so I dunno what to get.

Zachack

Ceebs said:
I have finished both. The biggest issue of Risen is the last boss and the 10 second CG ending. It did not ruin the game or even diminish my enjoyment. It's a case of the Journey being so much better than the destination.

If you are in it for a story however The Witcher is no questions asked, the better game.
So you enjoyed the last two chapters (of four, granted they were much shorter) consisting almost entirely of 6 or 7 dungeons that looked mostly identical, dodging the same tired insta-kill traps (that were used effectively in the beginning with the tiny dungeons), and fighting the same 3 or 4 enemy types over and over again?

Because that's what the game turned into for me. Once the overworld exploring was done the game took a nosedive. The journey was fantastic... up to the point where the story took over.
AP doesn't have "really bad graphics". I mean it's not going to win any awards but it looks good at high res.
I would call the graphics "adequate". It's definitely a case where the $60 initial price was much too high in comparison to what you could buy instead, though.

Minsc said:
I'm close to buying Alpha Protocol, but I don't usually like spy (or stealth) games, so I'll probably pass. More of a kill everything head on in broad daylight kinda guy.

I like Alpha Protocol a lot, but the stealth is the only saving grace for the game in terms of game play. If you're not into that, it's really hard to tell you to slog through levels after levels just to see the conversation system.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
ArjanN said:
Darksiders is a very solid PC port IMO.
I dunno dude, dropping graphics options is pretty bad...

edit: I played Alpha Protocol without a stealth oriented character. Shotgunned my way through the missions that allowed me too. I still had a lot of fun. I actually think it might be preferable since it is less broken.

Forkball

Minsc said:
Actually you can Dudebro this game. There are different builds that favor different play styles. You don't have to be stealthy at all if you don't want to (although that was my build) and instead can shotgun the hell out of people through the levels. It's just that the combat isn't that great so it's better to avoid it when possible.

vocab said:

See thats what I though. Todays deal is for both ME1 and ME2 so something is wrong with the pricing. If you click on mass effect on the daily deal page it opens to mass effects page which is 2 sided. me1 on one side and me2 on the other.

When you click on either side it takes you to a page where you can buy me1, me2, or me2 deluxe.

The problem is that both me1 and me2 show $20.00 as the normal price and both show 50% off. So they both ended up at $10. Something is wrong there because I dont think me1 and me2 are normally both the same price.

Davidion

Stallion Free said:
Alpha Protocol is easily in my top 10 games of the year.

You can't say no to that price.

I really want to like this game, but I wish they'd throw people a bone on patches though. The game feels like it could be a great solid spy game but the glitches make it borderline unplayable sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom