• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
Ceebs said:
As I said earlier, the effect your choices have in this game are like a generation ahead of it's time. It's not all silly good/evil choices either. You have various attitudes that you pick in dialog and those play off the personality of who you are talking to. A lot of it is very subtle which in my opinion is a good thing compared to the Saint/Psychopath options you see in most games.

I dunno....I dunno! I want it but $10...eh. See if it was like $5 then instant buy but I was already burned on The Oddboxx. If I get burned on this too it'll be like $22 wasted. Fuck, damn these sales and my indecisiveness.

Amneisac

Chacranajxy said:
2) How does Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe work? Is the DLC all managed through Steam, or is the actual download itself different than if you were to just buy vanilla Mass Effect 2? Cuz I already have the retail CE, so I dunno what to get.

I'd like to know about this also, does it include all the DLC? It looks like it just includes the stuff that comes with the normal retail version of the game? I already have the regular retail version of ME2 but I would pay $10 to get it into Steam, and I'd pay $20 to get it into Steam with all the DLC.

If I install this through Steam can I login with my EA ID from my retail ME and get all the DLC that came with the game?

Lkr

Cipherr said:
Id really like to try TF2. I havent been willing to part with a few bucks to do so though. How long is this sale on for?
TF2 is worth $50. The fact that it can be had for $10 is the greatest steal known to man

Zachack

kai3345 said:
Shit. I just noticed the Indie Heavy Hitters pack.

Shattered Horizons and Zeno Clash look like the most interesting of the pack, how are they?
SH is very visually impressive and has some good gameplay ideas but I have no idea if the MP community is still there (which is pretty important since it's all MP).

I liked the demo of Zeno Clash when I played it on the 360 but have not installed my PC version. If your value of the Hitters pack is contingent upon only those two games then I might hesitate.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i just wish the mass effect games had steam achievements.

Mass Effect has in-game achievement. They are the best kind of achievements. Do a certain thing to unlock an achievement and it will affect your in-game character. More health for example. Or get 100 kills with an assault rifle and you can use an assault rifle with any character no matter what class they are.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Forkball said:
Actually you can Dudebro this game. There are different builds that favor different play styles. You don't have to be stealthy at all if you don't want to (although that was my build) and instead can shotgun the hell out of people through the levels. It's just that the combat isn't that great so it's better to avoid it when possible.
Maybe all the people who complain about the combat not being great that go the stealth route just didn't experience the awesomeness that is the shotgun special power thing. I loved it. It slows down time and you basically run around and fuck shit up for a while. If any dudes are far away you use the pistol special thing to pick them off.

Shotgun-pistol build was great for me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I dont particularly like RPGs, but I've heard great things about Mass Effect 2.

Questions: Should I play the first before I play the second? Is the first one good? Is it long (I'd rather it be something I can beat within 10-20 hours.) Is it worth it? ($20 for both, I mean)

Zachack

Darklord said:
I dunno....I dunno! I want it but $10...eh. See if it was like $5 then instant buy but I was already burned on The Oddboxx. If I get burned on this too it'll be like $22 wasted. Fuck, damn these sales and my indecisiveness.
Obviously tastes may vary but I seriously doubt you're going to get burned like everyone did with the Oddbox.

Ceebs

Zachack said:
So you enjoyed the last two chapters (of four, granted they were much shorter) consisting almost entirely of 6 or 7 dungeons that looked mostly identical, dodging the same tired insta-kill traps (that were used effectively in the beginning with the tiny dungeons), and fighting the same 3 or 4 enemy types over and over again?

Because that's what the game turned into for me. Once the overworld exploring was done the game took a nosedive. The journey was fantastic... up to the point where the story took over.
I'll admit it, I really love the concept of working your way through a cave that turns into a lost civilization. Underground ruins are one of my favorite fantasy tropes. I can see why some people would be bored to death in that area but I loved it. Much like strongest point in Dragon Age for me was the last few sections of the Deep Roads. (granted I did this section long before the combat started to drive me insane for being so broken)

Wallach

zoku88 said:
Don't worry, ME2 isn't really that much of an RPG ;)

Neither of them are, honestly.

Length-wise I think you could consider them on the shorter end of the scale, as the optional stuff makes up a lot of the available content.

Minsc

Gold Member
Forkball said:
Actually you can Dudebro this game. There are different builds that favor different play styles. You don't have to be stealthy at all if you don't want to (although that was my build) and instead can shotgun the hell out of people through the levels. It's just that the combat isn't that great so it's better to avoid it when possible.

I didn't end up getting anything yesterday, so I'm getting antsy. Need to buy something, might as well be this then (already own Risen and ME1/2), maybe I'll take to the stealth system after all, at least now I know it's possible to ignore it if I don't.

Zachack

Dacvak said:

Questions: Should I play the first before I play the second? Is the first one good? Is it long (I'd rather it be something I can beat within 10-20 hours.) Is it worth it? ($20 for both, I mean)
Yes, the story leads right into the sequel and you can carry your character forward.
Yes, it's good.
I think it could be done in under 20 if you stuck to the main story/obvious side-quests and didn't waste time driving around on planets trying to harvest everything you see.

JoeBoy101

Dacvak said:

1) ME2 is VERY RPG-lite. I love RPGs, but given the setting and combat, moving the game into more of a gears clone was fine with me.

2) Don't need the first, BUT, its nice having the full story plus you can import from 1 to 2, with certain choices made in 1 impacting or carrying over to 2. Not significantly different, but noticeable. The first one is good, but much more RPG-esque.

3) Neither ME 1 or ME2 are short. Both can average 30+ hours.

4) They are both hugely worth it.

LiK

Zachack said:
Yes, the story leads right into the sequel and you can carry your character forward.
Yes, it's good.
I think it could be done in under 20 if you stuck to the main story/obvious side-quests and didn't waste time driving around on planets trying to harvest everything you see.
Listen to this man.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Felix Lighter said:
I have Darksiders and Alpha Protocol in my cart and every time I'm just about to pull the trigger another post makes me rethink my decision.
They both look really nice in 1080p, they feel really nice at 60 fps, they both feel lovely on a 360 pad, and they are both a lot of fun to play.

Neither requires a beastly rig either.

dream

Dacvak said:

Yes. ME2 is a much better experience when you get to carry over the decisions you made in the first game.

aku08

Felix Lighter said:
I have Darksiders and Alpha Protocol in my cart and every time I'm just about to pull the trigger another post makes me rethink my decision.

im in the same boat... and everytime i'm about to drop it form my cart, somebody says its so awesome and im a bad person for not buying it. :lol :lol

its gonna be a long day....

MoFuzz

Did they ever get those wireless 360 controller issues sorted with Dead Rising 2?

Last I heard, it only plays nice with the wired version for some reason.

Zachack

Felix Lighter said:
I beat Darksiders on the 360 and had a good time. It's a competent Zelda/GoW mix and when I finished I felt confident that I would own the eventual sequel.

I've only played some of AP (again, on 360) and I've had fun, but it's crucial that you understand what kind of game it is prior to playing; read the OT to get an idea of how you should play it the first time.

I'd buy both.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damnit, with 3 of my wanted deals falling through, now I'm tempted to crack on a bunch of sims.

Silent Hunter IV, Civ IV Complete, Pirates, and Railroads and I would still have $7 left. Must stay strong for Dragon Age... only Silent Hunter IV is a daily anyway...

careful

Dacvak said:

Definitely get both. They are great games and you can finish ME1 in under 20hrs.
You will be able to import your save into ME2. The consequences are not earth shattering awesome, but still a nice touch that not a lot of sequels offer.

I'm thinking of getting Alpha Protocol..

confused

Banned
Looking for a US GAFfer to gift me Mass effect 2. In return I will gift you Darksiders + an indie pack or Alpha Protocol + a Indie pack

SteamID is Zaangamer

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
After some logical thought (my logical thought anyway).

Blur - Too expensive at $15 for a game no one plays anymore. Unless ausgaf picks it up I will pass
Darksiders - Purchased! $10 is my price
Dead rising 2 - $20 is too much for a game i might never play after actually buying it.
Deathspank - I did want this but upon reflecting on my torchlight experience where i always got bored around the same place and a few hours into it, I get the feeling the same might happen here. Will wait for shank at that price instead.
Alpha Prot - I'm sure this was $7.50 during a previous sale, right? If 12.50 is the lowest it's ever been then i will pick this up but i have a feeling it's been cheaper.

Money saved!

Wallach

evlcookie said:
After some logical thought (my logical thought anyway).

Blur - Too expensive at $15 for a game no one plays anymore. Unless ausgaf picks it up I will pass
Darksiders - Purchased! $10 is my price
Dead rising 2 - $20 is too much for a game i might never play after actually buying it.
Deathspank - I did want this but upon reflecting on my torchlight experience where i always got bored around the same place and a few hours into it, I get the feeling the same might happen here. Will wait for shank at that price instead.
Alpha Prot - I'm sure this was $7.50 during a previous sale, right? If 12.50 is the lowest it's ever been then i will pick this up but i have a feeling it's been cheaper.

Money saved!

Alpha Protocol shows as $7.50 for me right now.

Lkr

I bought JC2 last night and didn't have a chance to play it. I just played for an hour and wasn't even aware I was playing so much, because I was having so much fun.

confused

Banned
Relix said:
Why... shit... WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Ahem

Looking for a US GAFfer to gift me Mass effect 2. In return I will gift you Darksiders + an indie pack or Alpha Protocol + a Indie pack

SteamID is Zaangamer

Davidion

Lkr said:
I bought JC2 last night and didn't have a chance to play it. I just played for an hour and wasn't even aware I was playing so much, because I was having so much fun.

1. Install superman mod
2. Go straight to profit

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GAF: Where people drop $60 on games without batting an eye but agonize endlessly over purchasing >$10 games.

That said has anybody actually played Wings of Liberty? I've seen the question regarding the game's quality asked a number of times but I've yet to see it answered. Even with the DRM there I'm thinking about snagging it because I'm a sucker for WWII aircraft.

jaaz

Sorry if it's been asked, but is the Deluxe ME2 worth the extra $10? I dont care for comics or videos etc., but I do like cool in-game items, so long as they don't make the game easy mode. Thanks!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
jaaz said:
Sorry if it's been asked, but is the Deluxe ME2 worth the extra $10? I dont care for comics or videos etc., but I do like cool in-game items, so long as they don't make the game easy mode. Thanks!
The in-game items aren't worth it really. Just go with the regular version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom