• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I kinda want to get Patrician IV too. I liked the third game a lot, but I could never really figure out the mechanics and I hear IV is a bit simpler.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
holy crap, I've gotta stop buying games for the sake of buying them >_<

aktham

Does Darksiders support "native" xbox 360 controller? I'll be buying ME2 for sure, just trying to decide on Darksiders.

Raxus

I think it will be just alpha protocol for me. I already own Mass Effect and the price isn't cheap enough for me to double dip. I have DLC I need to finish on my 360 version anyway.

Zachack

Ceebs said:
Risen is easily the best RPG of this "generation". I would go as far as to say it's even better than The Witcher. It has all the exploration elements of something like the Bethesda games, but a much better designed world. The world feels very natural and real. Instead of massive areas that seem randomly generated, Risen packs a ton into small spaces. It's hard to go more than a minute without finding something that will drag you off the path you were on. The character models are kinda iffy, but the lighting in the game is FANTASTIC.
I have to assume you haven't finished Risen or The Witcher because while The Witcher starts weak and ends strong/amazing, Risen starts strong and falls off a cliff in the last third with its endless repetitive dungeon crawls and unbalanced combat. And the less said of the final boss fight, the better.

I'd say it's worth $15, though.

Since I own RE5, I'm sorely tempted to pick up Dead Rising 2 for $16.

Then again, I'll probably want to play Case West when it comes out, so I think I'll wait on a deal for the 360 version.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Weenerz said:
At work atm, the anticipation is unbearable, help me someone!
rtm39k.jpg

From top left: Wings of Prey, DeathSpank, Silent Hunter, Patrician IV, Blood Bowl Legendary, Dead Rising 2, Blur, some OFP, Darksiders, Risen, ME1+2, Alpha Protocol

Sipowicz

Banned
alpha prtocol seemingly has the following problems

-really bad AI
-really bad graphics
-really bad glitches

i'm looking on the internet now to see if there's patches/mods to fix it

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
vocab said:
Boring as shit. That's my opinion. I also said it's a pretty crappy PC port as well.
Yeah, I found the demo pretty boring when I played it. For some reason a part of me still really wants the game, but I'm trying to ignore it.

edit: People shouldn't question the Alpha Protocol purchase. I was a bit wary when I did it, but the game fucking delivered. Its fantastic. I think I may have enjoyed it just as much as ME2.

dream

Activision published Vampire: The Masquerade, right? Cause I'm looking at direct2drive where they're selling an Activision game for half price every day this week and they're hinting at today's deal being...well, here

As for the rest of the week, look for deals on a recent racer tomorrow. A Western on Wednesday and Thursday brings Vampires into the fold.

For the workers in the thread:

Darksiders (sale price, $10; normal price, $39.99)
Deathspank (sale price, $7.49; normal price, $14.99)
Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, & Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition 50% off
Alpha Protocol (sale price, $7.50; normal price, $29.99)
All Silent Hunter titles 66% off
Wings of Prey (sale price, $6; normal price, $29.99)
Risen (sale price, $14.99; normal price, $29.99)
Blur (sale price, $14.99; normal price, $29.99)
Patrician IV (sale price, $7.50; normal price, $29.99)
Dead Rising 2 (sale price, $19.99; normal price, $39.99) ($15.99 if you own Resident Evil 5)
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (sale price, $19.99; normal price, $39.99)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (sale price, $3; normal price, $19.99)
Doc Clock (sale price, $2.50; normal price, $9.99)

Courtesy examiner.com

is it even worth it to play the first mass effect??

ive heard so much how mass effect 2 improves everything drastically. Could i just go straight to mass effect 2?

edit: also i have a radeon 5770 with 5 gigs of ram. will that allow me to play it in all its glory?

dream

TrAcEr_x90 said:

ive heard so much how mass effect 2 improves everything drastically. Could i just go straight to mass effect 2?

It's essential.

Salaadin

I wasnt crazy about Risen. The combat was such a hurdle for me to get over. By the end, instead of being excited for it, I was anxious for it to be over. I seem to be in the minority though so perhaps its just not my thing.

EDIT: Picked up Darksiders and ME2. Almost got AP and WoP but held off.

Volcynika

For those out there concerned about Alpha Protocol's DRM:

There is a patch (an updated version of a patch that never hit Steam) that removes the Uniloc DRM from the game.

I don't have a link, but check the Steam forums or some such. Don't get the retail one, get the downloadable one (it might even say downloadable version for UK and stuff, still works fine)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Sipowicz said:

-really bad AI
-really bad graphics
-really bad glitches

Post back when you find out. I'd really like to know if there are some mods that can address those concerns. I'm ready to get it but mods generally always make PC games better.

Sipowicz said:

-really bad AI
-really bad graphics
-really bad glitches

Man, I seriously can't stress enough that beyond all of the game's issues that it is still a GREAT game.

vocab

TrAcEr_x90 said:

edit: also i have a radeon 5770 with 5 gigs of ram. will that allow me to play it in all its glory?

No. You should play the first one, because the first one does many things better than the second one. Plus if you play the second one, you probably won't enjoy it as much. You can max out both games with that hardware.

Volcynika said:

There is a patch (an updated version of a patch that never hit Steam) that removes the Uniloc DRM from the game.

I don't have a link, but check the Steam forums or some such. Don't get the retail one, get the downloadable one (it might even say downloadable version for UK and stuff, still works fine)

Dude, the steam page doesn't even have the DRM requirement. Looks like it's gone.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Day 4 Deals
Mass Effect: $9.99: 50% off
Mass Effect 2: $9.99: 50% off
Dead Rising 2: $19.99: 50% off
Darksiders: $10.00: 75% off
Risen: $14.99: 50% off
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising: $3.00: 85% off
Wings of Prey: $6.00: 80% off
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition: $19.99: 50% off
Silent Hunter: All versions are 66% off
Alpha Protocol: $7.50: 75% off
DeathSpank: $7.49: 50% off
Blur: $14.99: 50% off
Patrician IV: $7.50: 75% off

My Purchases So Far (With HB1 And HB2)
Aquaria
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Braid
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Chime
Deus Ex:Game Of The Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Gish
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Mass Effect 2
The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Osmos
Penumbra: Overture
Rhythm Zone
Super Meat Boy
Turba
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
World of Goo

Sipowicz said:

-really bad AI
-really bad graphics
-really bad glitches

AI is dodgy, but the other two are untrue in my 8 hours with it so far.

Looks really fucking nice. No glitches whatsoever.

McNum

Well, well. Looks like I'll be having a very Mass Effect Christmas. That was the one I was waiting for. I should probably reinstall ME1 now and play through them back-to-back for the best effect (pun kind of not intended).

Volcynika

vocab said:
Dude, the steam page doesn't even have the DRM requirement. Looks like it's gone.

I never even got an update concerning that. Just mentioning it if people run into it. The updated patch that removed it came out like the day of/before it was a special sale in the Thanksgiving week sale thing. But if it's gone now from the Steam version, cool beanos.

Joe Molotov

Volcynika said:

Actually, it did hit Steam finally, a few weeks ago. They didn't release any patch notes for it, but if you notice, they've removed any mention of the DRM from the store page.

kai3345

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:

yeah considering the only thing ME2 improves is combat

Edit:

Anyone else think that Dragon Age might be the Steam Gold deal for whatever day its on?

"If you own Mass Effect 2 take and extra 15%off DA"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom