• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraut

I foolishly bought ME and ME2 two days ago when they were 15$. Then last night, after reading the tips in the thread, I have a dream in which both are on sale. Low and behold I wake up to find they are both on sale. Learned a valuable lesson today :lol

matmanx1

ME1 + ME2 bought! It's like Gabe was reading my thoughts last night as those are the 2 games I most wanted to be on sale today! So far I've spent $40 and nabbed Titan Quest Gold, Laura Craft and the Guardian of Light, Mass Effect and the Digital Deluxe version of Mass Effect 2. Still got $20 left in my budget for the sale and at this point I'm mainly hoping for Crysis: Warhead and/or Divinity II.

Don't let me down, Gabe!

kai3345

Banned
confused said:
Ahem

Looking for a US GAFfer to gift me Mass effect 2. In return I will gift you Darksiders + an indie pack or Alpha Protocol + a Indie pack

SteamID is Zaangamer
I'll do it, hop on steam

Benedict

Bought ME 2, Operation Flashpoint and Wings of Prey.
Hope Wings of Prey is as good as Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour by Lucasarts, which I played a lot on the Atari St about 20 years ago...

Proc

Bloodbowl is the deal I was waiting for (Recent warhammer geek).

Also going to pick up Alpha Protocol at that price. Risen looks rad but I don't really want another fantasy RPG at the moment. I still have the Witcher to get through and Catacalysm.

I'm considering darksiders at $10.

Cipherr

Shit man.... to close to the holiday. If TF2 was one of the 4.99 titles Id hop right on that shit, but by now Im already stretched to shit :lol :lol Think Ill pass. But I need to get around to getting that game. I really do.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
confused said:
Ahem

Looking for a US GAFfer to gift me Mass effect 2. In return I will gift you Darksiders + an indie pack or Alpha Protocol + a Indie pack

SteamID is Zaangamer

I replied to you in the other thread, but I'm down in exchange for Darksiders. Should I send to an email or to your SteamID?

Posting it again, as this will help my purchase:

To european people
Alpha protocol was sold in Spain with the usual spanish subs (ive been looking now thorught the internets, and yeah, there is a spanish option), but in the steam page it says theres no spanish language option /states there are other european laguages, but not spanish, what makes it very strange)

Can someone confirm in their options menu if you can put the game in spanish (I mean, not voices, only talking about subs).

aku08

done. pulled the trigger on me2, alpha, and darksiders. had to sacrifice risen though. but if it shows up again as a sale jan2, then ill take it as fate and get it then.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Proc said:
Bloodbowl is the deal I was waiting for (Recent warhammer geek).

Also going to pick up Alpha Protocol at that price.

I'm considering darksiders at $10.

Brother :D

well, BB canceled for 20€ while still having to buy presents and basically chose AP over DS spontaneously. So yeah. But I like your taste!

-Rogue5-

So Alpha Protocol is a crappier Mass Effect? Or a stealth version of Mass Effect that takes place on earth (and hence isn't as good as Mass Effect's space setting)?

I like dialogue trees/options, but so far Witcher has been pretty mundane. Is Alpha Protocol more like ME or Witcher?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sir Garbageman said:
How is the story in Risen? Dialogue, characters etc?

It's pretty good, which is surprising considering it's originally German. The voice acting is also among the best in RPGs and isn't cringe-worthy at all. The story isn't anything amazing, but there are some interesting characters throughout, and it's a really fun world to explore. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes good games!

Karram

So I can't buy Dead Rising 2 and Alpha Protocol because they aren't available in my region, while ME2 is being sold for $25 probably also because of my region. FUCK YOU STEAM.

Shot on ME2 even though I beat it on 360 (I have a beastly rig now). Already own ME1 in physical form. Going to wait for it to drop to 5 again before I go digital.

Also purchased Darksiders, and Dead Rising since I own RE5.

Holy fuck GAF. Am I ever going to finish this backlog. I now have to play through ME1 and ME2 to set up my save for ME3.

Edit: Oh and Alpha Protocol is very good for the 7.50 I paid a few weeks ago. I HEAVILY suggest you play it with a gamepad. It's too janky with a KB/M imho.

thundr51

Still no Oblivion... Considering ME2 but I really want the X360 version so I can import my character. Hopefully the GOTY version is just around the corner so I can save on DLC.

kai3345 said:
Shit. I just noticed the Indie Heavy Hitters pack.

Shattered Horizons and Zeno Clash look like the most interesting of the pack, how are they?

I can't speak to those, but Braid, World of Goo, The Maw, and Audiosurf are all excellent, and Trine is fairly solid. The pack is easily worth $20 for anyone who doesn't own anything in it.

cicero

LyR said:
I say it again ... 3€ is still too much for Operation Flashpoint: DR, the support was canceled months after release and it still has huge HUGE problems

Video
Video 2
Video 3

there're tons of videos like this ... It might be just 3 bucks but your time is much more valuable... and for 2,49€ you get a frozen pizza triple pack from pizza italia (medium Salami) and we all know that 3 pizzas > OP: DR
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to avoid this bomb.

Now to decide on Alpha Protocol, Risen, Darksiders, Wings of Prey, Mass Effect 2, and Dead Rising 2... :|

WillyFive

-Rogue5- said:
So Alpha Protocol is a crappier Mass Effect? Or a stealth version of Mass Effect that takes place on earth (and hence isn't as good as Mass Effect's space setting)?

I like dialogue trees/options, but so far Witcher has been pretty mundane. Is Alpha Protocol more like ME or Witcher?

It seems like not a lot of people liked Alpha Protocol. It received capital punishment by the press, enough to cause Sega to say that there would not make a sequel.

kai3345

Banned
charlequin said:
I can't speak to those, but Braid, World of Goo, The Maw, and Audiosurf are all excellent, and Trine is fairly solid. The pack is easily worth $20 for anyone who doesn't own anything in it.
I already own Braid, World of Goo and Audiosurf. Anyone know if the rest of the pack is work the $20 price?

Artofwar420 said:
So ME2 is a get at $10? ME1 at $10, not so much?
More like ME1 is worth 60, ME2 is worth 5

MoFuzz

So after perusing the armpit that is the Steam Forums, they (Capcom) have still not fixed the wireless 360 controller's issues for Dead Rising 2. There seems to be some quasi-workarounds that users have come up with, but they still don't work 100% from what I gather, so caveat emptor.

If it was discounted more deeply, I'd just deal with it, but given Capcom's history of patching/updating PC titles after launch (nonexistent) I'm gonna have to pass, even at $16. A shame, as I really liked the first game, and I'm sure I'd have a blast with DR2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Willy105 said:
It seems like not a lot of people liked Alpha Protocol. It received capital punishment by the press, enough to cause Sega to say that there would not make a sequel.

It's one of the best bad games I've ever played.

I think I played through it three times in total. There is a lot to like about the game, but it's also really janky.

Dice said:
Hahaha.. today is the day of missing the mark.

Dead Rising 2 for $20? I said $15
Blur for $15? I said $10
Mass Effect 2 for $10? I said $7.50

You get NOTHING! GOOD DAY, SIR!
The prices could still change, yesterday Tales of Monkey Island and Clones both dropped further in price.

shintoki said:
I'm tempted for the Daily Indie deal, but why the fuck would they not have a demo?
I hate they bury the Daily Indie deal given how most people have not listed it (Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time) in their "today's deals" pots.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Willy105 said:
Correction: Not a lot of people bothered to play the game. The press bullshit was bullshit that could be seen coming from a mile away. There are tons of positive impressions in the actual thread.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that's Darksiders and Wings of Prey bought.

I was tempted by Risen, but I'm £33 into my £100 budget and there's still plenty of daily deals to come, so I think I'll have to pass for now.

Im_Special

I'm thinking of getting the ME 1 / ME 2 games, to see what all the hype is about, but before I do can anyone shed some light on what DRM they use? I remember hearing a lot of stink about it and never got them when they were new. No GFWL required either correct?

Hixx

Alpha Protocol for a fiver :D

Debating whether or not to get Darksiders... atm I have a lot of games on the 'eventually get round to playing' pile, don't know if I want to add another.

MoFuzz

kai3345 said:
I already own Braid, World of Goo and Audiosurf. Anyone know if the rest of the pack is work the $20 price?
Well that leaves you with Shattered Horizon, Zeno Clash, The Maw, and Trine. I don't know about The Maw, but Shattered Horizon, Zeno Clash and Trine have all been $5 individualy in past sales, and I bet will go at least that cheap at some point during this sale.

I actually own every single game in that pack other than The Maw, and I can safely say they are all great, especially since they were all developed by indie studios.

probably just Darksiders....

on the fence about ME2 (even though I already beat it on 360)

$10 was the sweet mark on Dead Rising 2 for me...

contemplating Risen, but I don't know how long it will be until I get to it, plus it's kinda expensive (as far as sales go) at $15

Xamdou

Anybody know the prices of the Mass Effect 2 DLC's? I already have the 360 version but didn't play any of the dlc's, so I was wondering how much the DLC's cost for the PC version.

fushi

So, just out of curiosity, which games are you guys still waiting for to go on sale?

I'm only waiting for Divinity II: DKS.

MoFuzz

Im_Special said:
I'm thinking of getting the ME 1 / ME 2 games, to see what all the hype is about, but before I do can anyone shed some light on what DRM they use? I remember hearing a lot of stink about it and never got them when they were new. No GFWL required either correct?
Mass Effect 1 or 2 on Steam do not have any DRM other than Steam itself. I believe the first game had SecuROM early on that was removed later via patch.

Salsa

fushi said:
So, just out of curiosity, which games are you guys still waiting for to go on sale?

I want Far Cry 2 to go a bit lower

and Aquaria since i dont own it on Steam

edit: Also Psychonauts

fushi said:

I'm only waiting for Divinity II: DKS.

Crysis (with or without Crysis Warhead)
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Civilization 5
Fallout: New Vegas
Batman: Arkham Asylum

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SalsaShark said:
I want Far Cry 2 to go a bit lower

and Aquaria since i dont own it on Steam

edit: Also Psychonauts
Buy the Humble Indie Bundle 2 for over the average donation price and you'll get the Humble Indie Bundle 1 as well, which includes Aquaria, and is activateable on steam. If you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom