• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
kai3345 said:
I can't get over just how much fun Just Cause 2 is.

I really liked the first level. But as soon as it went to open world I lost my enthusiasm. I dont know why.. What did you do afterwards?

alanias

Salaadin said:
I bought Risen the last time it was on sale because of the glowing recommendations about it being a great exploration RPG but it seemed that everytime I tried to explore, the hidden caves and tunnels were filled with monsters and enemies that I couldnt beat...especially because the combat is pretty crappy the moment you have to fight more than one enemy at a time.

Maybe the exploration is good is good once you have great armor, weapons, and are at a high enough level to take the bigger stuff one but after about 10 hours, I got sick of entering the random caves that I wanted to explore only to get mauled by ghouls or skeletons.
It was a shame really because I greatly enjoyed the game at first...especially the first city. Once I got out of there though, it started to bog down.

It very old school in that if you go some place and you die, chances are you are not supposed to be there yet. Remind me of the old Dragon Quest games where you would eventually get powerful enough to wonder to the new city and beat the stuff that formerly mauled your ass. I found the combat to be very difficult but rewarding. I always felt like I could die, even when fighting easier stuff and that kept it fun for me.

Still, not for everyone, and I can see how dying over and over could get frustrating.

Toma said:
I really liked the first level. But as soon as it went to open world I lost my enthusiasm. I dont know why.. What did you do afterwards?

Taking over facilities, doing kill missions and just plain raking up Chaos points is a lot of fun.

Thinking about getting Darksiders, how's the PC version?

kai3345

Banned
Toma said:
I did the Yellow Faction's first mission, in which I took a Power Plant or something and after it was controlled by the Yellow team, I was given access to a Helicopter, which I then used to fly to various settlements and rain death upon them

Salsa

Seriously guys get Blueberry Garden, and while you are at it get Winterbottom.

1.5USD in total for two awesome indie games, better than some of the bundles.

Shaneus

Toma said:
You can go do missions from a map (I think) or you can just wander around and obliterate installations. One thing I like doing is randomly shooting one of the (evil) police then fight off the cavalry. It's amazingly satisfying considering all it really nets you is a decrease in ammo.

Minamu

Since F1 2010 is probably gonna run extremely poor, if at all, on this pc, I'm thinking of getting a copy of kotor and another witcher for my dad. I'll probably throw in my extra copy of HL2 I got with the orange box. He did ask for a surprise gift this year. He sure as hell will get one :lol

-Rogue5- said:
So Alpha Protocol is a crappier Mass Effect? Or a stealth version of Mass Effect that takes place on earth (and hence isn't as good as Mass Effect's space setting)?

I like dialogue trees/options, but so far Witcher has been pretty mundane. Is Alpha Protocol more like ME or Witcher?
To me, Alpha Protocol was treated as much as it deserved, panned by critics and ignored by gamers. There is a lot of dialog, but most of it is long drawn out conversations about the generic spy storyline. I also found the main character's voice actor completely monotonous and most of his dialog annoying, but you can just look on youtube to see if it bothers you.

The gameplay is only passable if you choose to make a stealth/pistol build character, which makes all the other options you have for leveling up more or less pointless.

It does some neat things with what order you play missions out and the decision you make having an effect on the game, but I was so put off by the time I ended my first playthrough that I couldn't go through all of it again. There's also no new game+ mode to make the next playthroughs any more enjoyable.

A lot of people on GAF like the game and will praise it to the moon, but keep in mind that this game isn't for everybody. If you can look past it's multitude of flaws, play the game using the perfectly built character, and aren't annoyed by the main character then maybe you'll find some enjoyment out of it for $7.50.

WEGGLES

Toma said:
Stole a jet. Blew up some military bases. Tethered an airplane to the ground just as it took off... etc etc etc :lol

WEGGLES said:
Stole a jet. Blew up some military bases. Tethered an airplane to the ground just as it took off... etc etc etc :lol

The best is killing so many soldiers that they call in an attack copter, and you steal it mid air.

Salaadin

alanias said:
It very old school in that if you go some place and you die, chances are you are not supposed to be there yet. Remind me of the old Dragon Quest games where you would eventually get powerful enough to wonder to the new city and beat the stuff that formerly mauled your ass. I found the combat to be very difficult but rewarding. I always felt like I could die, even when fighting easier stuff and that kept it fun for me.

Still, not for everyone, and I can see how dying over and over could get frustrating.

It seemed that every area I went to that was off the main story path a bit would destroy me. Maybe Im unlucky in that sense but it did get frustrating.

Id still say the game is worth the sale price. I dont mean to imply that its bad at all. Its actually quite good in a lot of ways (I loved the world at atmosphere) but it did some things (like I mention above) that just irritated me towards the end.

I loved their approach to fast travel by making certain areas tied to travel crystals nad you had to find them and complete quests to get them. It promoted on foot travel which wasnt annoying at all because the world is very nice to look at.

Toma said:

One of the first things I did was to tether a firetruck to the huge statue of the dictator in one of the nearby towns. TIMBERRRRRRRRRRRR

Salsa

i just realized that i missed Burnout for FIVE FUCKIN BUCKS ?!!?!? :((((((((((((

please tell me it sold really well so its back for what i assume will be a last day recap

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
AceBandage said:
The best is killing so many soldiers that they call in an attack copter, and you steal it mid air.
Then find a base or refinery and blow shit up while dodging missiles from AA units.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
AceBandage said:
Er... okay. I need to get a bit more creative with this game as it seems. Thanks for the advice to you all though :)

hlhbk

Um when you wake up on the beach in Risen is the only things showing supposed to be your hands/ feet, and arms? I can see where an outline of his body is supposed to be but don't see his body? WTF? Also I am hearding a lot about the DRM attached to Risen, is it really that bad?

vocab

hlhbk said:
Um when you wake up on the beach in Risen is the only things showing supposed to be your hands/ feet, and arms? I can see where an outline of his body is supposed to be but don't see his body? WTF? Also I am hearding a lot about the DRM attached to Risen, is it really that bad?

Sounds like a shader issue.

tages is the best drm ever. Honestly, if I bought it, I would go find the crack.

Rich!

Toma said:

Just going around and blowing shit up. Being creative. And even after finishing the missions, I have continued playing it with cheats (using a trainer) such as infinite grapple ropes, strong/unbreakable rope and unlimited health and ammo.

Example:

1. Blow shit up at a military airport, get police involved.
2. Link all the police together using the grapple gun.
3. Link one of them to a jet that's about to take off.
4. Jump onto the jet using your grapple.
5. The jet lifts off and flies with 20+ guards flailing and flying around, screaming behind it as you surf on top of the jet like a boss.

AND THEN

6. Hijack the plane, kick the pilot out.
7. Get back on top of the plane.
8. Ride the plane down to earth like you're in Dr. Strangelove.
9. Cue the biggest explosion ever, and you being rocketed miles to somewhere random in the game's world, unharmed to cause more chaos.

Just one of the hilarious things I did last night out of many, many things. :lol :lol

McNum

Toma said:
Learned how to use the grappling hook and parachute on a flat surface for a quick getaway. That is, hook far ahead, open the parachute halfway there (and don't press forward), hook the ground again. As long as you keep hooking something solid, you can keep flying. Then I went car/boat/plane surfing. Not at the same time, mind you, but that gives me an idea...

Also, something fun to try when you're being chased: Hook the enemy car to the road. *flip* That simply doesn't get old. Or hook them together. Or to the railing of a bridge. I do like how often the question of "I wonder if I can..." is answered with a yes in this game.

I'm beginning to think of this game as "GTA San Andreas, the good parts version". So much potential for just messing around being a jerk. I need to shake some of my GTA habits, though. An enemy helicopter isn't something to try to outrun in this game. It's an early Christmas present, all you need to do is grapple up and open it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Got Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I hope GAF hasn't let me down on this one.

I'm more concerned about the 22 gigs this takes up as opposed to the $20 it cost. =P

Zachack

Salaadin said:
It seemed that every area I went to that was off the main story path a bit would destroy me. Maybe Im unlucky in that sense but it did get frustrating.

Id still say the game is worth the sale price. I dont mean to imply that its bad at all. Its actually quite good in a lot of ways (I loved the world at atmosphere) but it did some things (like I mention above) that just irritated me towards the end.

I loved their approach to fast travel by making certain areas tied to travel crystals nad you had to find them and complete quests to get them. It promoted on foot travel which wasnt annoying at all because the world is very nice to look at.
You got to the teleport crystals but were still getting mauled by skeletons and ghouls? Were you trying to play a jack of all trades character?

DennisK4 said:
Risen is a much better game than Oblivion.

And it is prettier too.

Forest feel like actual deep, dark and dangerous forests.

The game also features amazing lighting.

You sold me, just bought it. I can't freaking help myself during these sales.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm gonna crack. I can feel it. I'll wait until tonight just in case prices change, which will decide exactly in what way I crack.

Variety and new experiences over the blockbuster. This is what you have done to me, PC gaming. I don't even have time for it, but it is the principle of the matter.

aku08

Dacvak said:
Got Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. I hope GAF hasn't let me down on this one.

I'm more concerned about the 22 gigs this takes up as opposed to the $20 it cost. =P

or your later realization when you're completely sucked in the mass effect 2 universe that you want to buy the shadow broker, kasumi, and other dlc's that will cost you more than what you paid for the game today. :lol

aku08 said:
or your later realization when you're completely sucked in the mass effect 2 universe that you want to buy the shadow broker, kasumi, and other dlc's that will cost you more than what you paid for the game today. :lol

so true :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
arts&crafts said:
how much rpg is involved in Darkstalkers? (skills/ weapon choices) or is it pretty much just a straight up action game like God of War?
People have likened it to Zelda with a bigger focus on combat. Which is why I got it.
I watched a review too and there are some minor RPG aspects in that you can upgrade your moves and get new ones.

Dunno much more than that, watching a review would benefit you I think :D

Easy_D said:
People have likened it to Zelda with a bigger focus on combat. Which is why I got it.
I watched a review too and there are some minor RPG aspects in that you can upgrade your moves and get new ones.

Dunno much more than that, watching a review would benefit you I think :D

Thanks for the feedback, I will just buy it. Its only 10 dollars and the only thing I have bought so far is Meat Boy:lol

John

arts&crafts said:
how much rpg is involved in Darkstalkers? (skills/ weapon choices) or is it pretty much just a straight up action game like God of War?
pretty much no rpg at all, it's an action-adventure

alanias

dream said:
What are the towns like in Risen?

There's maybe 1.5 towns in the game total? Everything is fully realized, but it's a pretty small scale world. Major settlements include the Monastery, Port Town, and Bandit Settlement... but that's about it. All of them are full of quest lines though so it doesn't feel limited.

Salsa

AceBandage said:
Went ahead and got Darksiders and Blueberry Garden.
Hoping to enjoy both!

good man

already spent about 15 bucks of my 25 limit, 10 days to go!

yeah im gonna up the limit a bit :(

Zachack

dream said:
What are the towns like in Risen?
There's only one town and two "faction camps". If you've played The Witcher I'd say the main town is about the same size as the Temple District in terms of content (maybe a tad bigger in space since there's no loading to get in buildings so buildings are larger on the outside than in most games. One camp is about the same size as the Swamp village. The other camp is the same but the layout doesn't compare correctly.

Stabby McSter said:
So who else has bought a shit load of games and hasn't touched ANY of them? D:
I haven't, but that's because I'm still playing all the games I bought during the treasure hunt, so I'm not as far behind as I usually am.

Kweh

Stabby McSter said:

None so far this time around, but I have a shit load of games from the last Steam Xmas sale that I haven't touched :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stabby McSter said:

I haven't touched most of the games I bought because I can't run them yet. I'm gonna have an awesome library of games when I get my PC, but I have like 25 games now and who knows if I'll have time to play them all to completion.

it's gonna be a long month until I get my shit ready to go

Fredescu

Darklord said:
The game is banned here because the guy smokes something resembling weed. I'm not shitting you.:lol
You are shitting him, the game was banned because because you get positive benefits from "reefer" with no ill side effects.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Hey y'all, I'm considering getting...
Mass Effect 2
Darksiders
Dead Rising 2

But my specs are a bit weak by today's standards which are
Intel Core 6320 @ 1.86Ghz
256Mb 8600GT
4GB O Ram
Thoughts?

Status