• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

DennisK4 said:
Why are people asking about this and that about it anyway? I told you it was the 2009 RPG GOTY - don't cheat yourself out of this game. Best exploration RPG since Morrowind (Two Worlds II is also in that same league of exploration RPGs).

Its got tages though.

bonesmccoy said:
Is the Patrician game any good? I'm tempted to spring for a dry strategy game to plod over for the next few months.

It's like a poor mans Dawn of discovery.

fushi

hlhbk said:
That looks great. I already have Darksiders in my basket, but am still on the fence about Risen. How is the story? I play games now mainly for story, and loved Oblivion's story.
There's nothing particularly great nor awful about the story. This game is more about the atmosphere and the little details here and there, at least that's how it caught me.

I wish Blur was a bit cheaper. Not taking the plunge at 15 euros.

DennisK4 said:
I told you it was the 2009 RPG GOTY - don't cheat yourself out of this game. Best exploration RPG since Morrowind (Two Worlds II is also in that same league of exploration RPGs).
But I don't like exploration RPGs at all. Fallout 3 is the only game out of all of them that I ever finished. I play these games for 2 hours and then never touch them again, at all. They are just not for me.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Couldn't resist Dead Rising 2. I love me some zombie slaying, particularly on a screen I can actually read the text on (God damn 360 version optimized for HD while I'm still running an SDTV :p) Want darksiders really really badly too, but DR2 was higher on my wishlist and Im trying to limit how much I spend

And now that I look at it, I've realized outside of Bioshock 2 and Resident Evil 5, I have every worthwhile GFWL title.

Honestly, I love the concept of GFWL, its execution has just been so poor...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is Mass Effect pretty playable with a 360 controller? I'm a fan of laying in bed when playing, which is pretty tough with a mouse/keyboard.

hlhbk

fushi said:
There's nothing particularly great nor awful about the story. This game is more about the atmosphere and the little details here and there, at least that's how it caught me.

I wish Blur was a bit cheaper. Not taking the plunge at 15 euros.

Downloading the demo of Risen now thanks for the feedback. More than likely not getting Risen if the story is just meh.

hlhbk

Sinatar said:
Risen is glorious, there shouldn't even be a discussion here. Buy it now. Buy it.

What is your take on the story? Forget the rest of the game if you had to judge Risen on the story alone how would you feel about it?

Dennis

Banned
hlhbk said:
I am asking about it because I play games for the stories, and nobody here has been giving it a ringing endorsement for the story. What is your take on the story?
The story is OK compared to the usual fantasy trope stuff but that is about it.

alanias

hlhbk said:
I am asking about it because I play games for the stories, and nobody here has been giving it a ringing endorsement for the story. What is your take on the story?

The story is ok. I think a lot of the quest lines are cool, but don't expect a sweeping original story. This game is more about mood and atmosphere than a sweeping dramatic tale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blur is pretty awesome and beautiful as fuck. Awesome in split-screen too. Played for about 2 hours straight the other day with one of my buddies who hasn't touched videogames at all really since starting college.

He had pretty much everything down by the second race and really enjoyed it.

Shaneus

Sinatar said:
Risen is glorious, there shouldn't even be a discussion here. Buy it now. Buy it.
How much is it? I haven't really heard anything about it... is it worth me going through the hassle of organising a gift? It's not available *at all* on the Australian store.

Dacvak said:
Is Mass Effect pretty playable with a 360 controller? I'm a fan of laying in bed when playing, which is pretty tough with a mouse/keyboard.
It doesn't have any native support. You might be able to use keytojoy or whatever its called to try and get it to work. But the simple answer is no.

hlhbk

alanias said:
The story is ok. I think a lot of the quest lines are cool, but don't expect a sweeping original story. This game is more about mood and atmosphere than a sweeping dramatic tale.

Thanks for the feedback. You too Denis. The more I hear about it the less I am tempted to buy it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Deathspank: Yay or Nay?

alanias

hlhbk said:
Thanks for the feedback. You too Denis. The more I hear about it the less I am tempted to buy it.
It might not be for you. The thrill in Risen is stumbling off the path a bit, finding a cave you never knew was there, and then realizing it connects to another part of the island. I kid you not when i say this is one of the best realized game worlds I've played in... the island is a blast to explore.

Sanjay

hlhbk said:
That looks great. I already have Darksiders in my basket, but am still on the fence about Risen. How is the story? I play games now mainly for story, and loved Oblivion's story.

When people say RPG of 2009 they mean it! It's in league of The Witcher which was RPG of 2007 :D

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
hlhbk said:
What is your take on the story? Forget the rest of the game if you had to judge Risen on the story alone how would you feel about it?

It's alright. Pretty standard tale of ancient evil awakening and you assembling the magical mcguffin to stop it. There is a fair bit of play early on in the story as to how it plays out depending on which faction you join but it all converges and ends on the same note regardless.

I see you liked Oblivions story, this is no worse then that.

Dacvak said:
Deathspank: Yay or Nay?

Yay if you like Diablo-style games - it has a good sense of humour and some charming graphics (I love the pop-up book style of the environment as it unfolds before you) - nay if the idea of some seriously repetitive fetch quests and a lack of unique loot* puts you off.

*that's not to say there isn't a lot of loot in the game, there is - it's just that everyone who plays it will always end up with the same stuff.

Shaneus said:
Not in Australia it ain't.

Edit: Risen isn't available in Australia. How much is it for regular folk?

Wow that's strange. I bought it off the standard Australian steam store not too long ago while it was on sale but it appears to no longer be available. I wonder why that is. Oddly enough the Valve bundle was also not available to Australians despite the fact all the games included seemed to be available individually.

Also can anyone comment on the quality of the Darksiders port? I hired and finished it relatively quickly on 360 but wouldn't mind taking my time with it in a second run if the port is of reasonable quality.

Loxley

fushi said:
So, just out of curiosity, which games are you guys still waiting for to go on sale?

I'm only waiting for Divinity II: DKS.

Well, going down my wishlist:

~ Metro 2033
~ The Orange Box
~ Dawn of War II
~ Torchlight
~ Battlefield 2
~ Doom 3
~ Star Wars - Battlefront 2
~ Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
~ Star Wars - Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy
~ Star Wars - Republic Commando
~ Company of Heroes
~ Medieval 2
~ S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Collection
~ Crysis/Crysis Warhead

Zachack

hlhbk said:
Downloading the demo of Risen now thanks for the feedback. More than likely not getting Risen if the story is just meh.
The story is generic and bland (and ends kinda abruptly) but if you loved Oblivion's story then I'm not sure what to say because that wasn't much better. Or did you love Oblivion's lore? Risen was kinda lacking on the lore, but IMO more lore wouldn't have served the game any better.
I loved the witcher's story/aphmosphere is it on par with that?
No. Not even close.

alanias

hlhbk said:

Try the demo... it's not on steam but it is out there. The demo doesn't cover much in terms of story, but it'll give you a good idea of the feel of the game.

hlhbk said:

Atmosphere, probably. Plot, not so much. To elaborate, I found the island to be incredibly atmospheric and a truly an ejoyable world to explore, somewhat in line with Morrowind as others has suggested. The plot however is relatively run of the mill though.

Darklord

Banned
SenorDingDong said:
Wow that's strange. I bought it off the standard Australian steam store not too long ago while it was on sale but it appears to no longer be available. I wonder why that is. Oddly enough the Valve bundle was also not available to Australians despite the fact all the games included seemed to be available individually.

Also can anyone comment on the quality of the Darksiders port? I hired and finished it relatively quickly on 360 but wouldn't mind taking my time with it in a second run if the port is of reasonable quality.

The game is banned here because the guy smokes something resembling weed. I'm not shitting you.:lol

hlhbk

alanias said:
Try the demo... it's not on steam but it is out there. The demo doesn't cover much in terms of story, but it'll give you a good idea of the feel of the game.

Actually for those wanting to try Risen the Demo is on Steam. I am downloading it now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm still hoping for and expecting a New Vegas deal before the Steam Holiday Bonanza is over, $20 would be the sweet spot.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Darklord said:
The game is banned here because the guy smokes something resembling weed. I'm not shitting you.:lol

:lol Wow. Well I guess the game does kind of force you to become an impromptu drug dealer of the stuff if you join the monastery as well.

Zachack

Darklord said:
Wait, did smoking brugle actually do something? I never tried.

Hell, how is any RPG in the last decade allowed in Australia? I can't think of many that didn't have some narcotic item.

sadromeo

My Wallet Damage so far:

Dec 23, 2010
$39.98
Darksiders
Alpha Protocol
Risen
Deathspank

Dec 22, 2010
$12.00
Assassin's Creed II

Dec 22, 2010
$14.99
Assassin's Creed

Dec 22, 2010
$13.74
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes

Dec 21, 2010
$7.50
Disciples III

Dec 20, 2010
$37.23
The Deus Ex Collection
FEAR Complete Pack (NA)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within

Total Spent So Far: $125.44

Total Games Purchased So Far: 21 (Deus EX has 2, FEAR has 4 and POP:FS has 2)

How many more days left are there for daily deals? STEAM is killing my wallet...

Darklord

Banned
Sinatar said:
:lol Wow. Well I guess the game does kind of force you to become an impromptu drug dealer of the stuff if you join the monastery as well.

The weird thing is you can buy, sell and use drugs in The Witcher but it got past just fine.

Salsa

Cipherr said:
Fuck it, I bought orange box. Why is TF2 beta included though when TF2 is included. I dont really get that.

they use the Beta to "test" and see how the community reacts to the biggest new game changes

Is it too early to name next year's thread?

Wallpaper_PCG_800x600_1-590x442.jpg

In wallpaper form

Erebus

Snuggler said:
Since the game is so awesome, I'm buying 2 copies of VVVVVV to give away.

Who wants?
Me but I'm a little too late huh?

I bought Just Cause 2 and Bully before the sale ended but guess what... steam has been painfully slow.

G9l2L.jpg

:(

Ettie

Snuggler said:
I'm still hoping for and expecting a New Vegas deal before the Steam Holiday Bonanza is over, $20 would be the sweet spot.

It's not on my list to buy for xmas, but I'd buy a copy on principle at 20 bucks.

Still waiting on Divinity II and Settlers VII

Darklord

Banned
Zachack said:
Wait, did smoking brugle actually do something? I never tried.

Hell, how is any RPG in the last decade allowed in Australia? I can't think of many that didn't have some narcotic item.

Other games get past. It's really strange and hypocritical that this was banned.

Salaadin

I bought Risen the last time it was on sale because of the glowing recommendations about it being a great exploration RPG but it seemed that everytime I tried to explore, the hidden caves and tunnels were filled with monsters and enemies that I couldnt beat...especially because the combat is pretty crappy the moment you have to fight more than one enemy at a time.

Maybe the exploration is good is good once you have great armor, weapons, and are at a high enough level to take the bigger stuff one but after about 10 hours, I got sick of entering the random caves that I wanted to explore only to get mauled by ghouls or skeletons.
It was a shame really because I greatly enjoyed the game at first...especially the first city. Once I got out of there though, it started to bog down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom