• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

vocab said:
I agree the demo sucks, but the main game is decent. Did you even play the first one?
Yes, on the 360.
I kinda liked the first part of the demo, where you escape the ship, but the second part(in the prison) was focused on shooting and i found the shooting in the game to be rather cluncky.

Mrbob

I grabbed Darksiders at 10 bucks good deal. Steam is getting pounded with the sale though my download speed sucks. :lol

Yeef

Dice said:
Mass Effect works like any space drama. At first you're like "bleh, why are these people so annoying and untrusting in the most trite ways possible?" but if you work past that, you end up actually caring about the characters.
I didn't really care about any of the non-Wrex, non-Shepard characters in ME1. Hopefully the second one will do a better job of making me care.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yeef said:
I didn't really care about any of the non-Wrex, non-Shepard characters in ME1. Hopefully the second one will do a better job of making me care.

I was the same way in the first (except I liked garrus as well) and personally enjoyed the characters in ME2 more than the first.

UrbanRats said:
Yes, on the 360.
I kinda liked the first part of the demo, where you escape the ship, but the second part(in the prison) was focused on shooting and i found the shooting in the game to be rather cluncky.

If you haven't played ME1 then I wouldnt suggest ME2 to you. The first one just feels so much better. Also, it is a 3 part epic, and missing ME1 would be missing the biggest part of the story so far.

I also found the gunplay a little off in ME2. But my only experience with ME2 is on the 360 so I'm hoping the controller was the reason for the clunky gunplay. Still, the gunplay in ME1 was practically dice rolling once you had the crosshair on an enemy so ME2's is definitely better.

My ME2 is almost finished downloading. Is there something you would like to see in the way of a gameplay video that would convince you? I would be happy to record and upload some gameplay clips.

Based Gabe only gets my money for Operation Flashpoint 2 today. Was thinking of going for Alpha Protocol, but £5 is a bit too much for a game that is so artistically ugly looking.

TheExodu5

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
If you haven't played ME1 then I wouldnt suggest ME2 to you. The first one just feels so much better. Also, it is a 3 part epic, and missing ME1 would be missing the biggest part of the story so far.

I also found the gunplay a little off in ME2. But my only experience with ME2 is on the 360 so I'm hoping the controller was the reason for the clunky gunplay. Still, the gunplay in ME1 was practically dice rolling once you had the crosshair on an enemy so ME2's is definitely better.

My ME2 is almost finished downloading. Is there something you would like to see in the way of a gameplay video that would convince you? I would be happy to record and upload some gameplay clips.

ME2 feels infinitely better than ME1. I don't know what to say.

Flunkie

Banned
I love all of the ME characters. :) I ended up really caring about Ashley, Garrus, Wrex, Joker especially, but I loved everyone. I loved having characters from ME1 appear in ME2, too.

I played Paragon, can you tell?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't say no to Mafia II, but now I've splooged away most of my funbucks, unless Valve offers a sweet deal on Crysis or New Vegas, I'll have to take a break for now.

when I get my PC I'm gonna have like 300 gigs of games to download :lol

... :(

TheExodu5 said:
ME2 feels infinitely better than ME1. I don't know what to say.

Story, atmosphere, RPG aspects, loot, the galaxy, all are done infinitely better in ME1.

Flunkie said:
I love all of the ME characters. :) I ended up really caring about Ashley, Garrus, Wrex, Joker especially, but I loved everyone. I loved having characters from ME1 appear in ME2, too.

Loved em all too. Except kaiden. Go mope around on somebody elses ship you freak.

AzumiChan

Banned
Not really part of the sale, but gosh darn it get your Back to the Future copy now! :D
I'm so stoked I can't even sit still, this is the game I've waited for since my childhood in the 80's *cries some tears of happiness*

Just Deathspank for me today. I'm a sucker for everything from Ron Gilbert.

Still thinking about Mass Effect 2. However, the first one was quite underwhelming and the price is still a bit too high for me. Probably pass and wait for the Dragon Age deal.

Darksiders also sounds good, but it's just one of those games that'll go on sale again and again, I got a feeling for that. Will get it for 5€ at a later time.

Zachack

Salaadin said:
I didnt get all of the crystals...only the ones obtained in the main story...volcano keep, camp, etc. I maybe had 3-4.
And by the end of the game, I was strong enough to kill the ghouls, etc but at that point, I stopped caring about the exploration and was in a hurry for the game to end so I just stuck on the straight path to finishing. Tbh, part of the reason for my dislike is my lack of patience. I guess Im spoiled by a lot of the current RPGs.

Talking about it makes me want to go back now. Perhaps Ill revisit it again sometime.
If you do go back and didn't do this when you were playing, the Summon Skeleton spell completely changes how the combat plays out. The game is extremely weighted towards a short and nasty death if you're fighting more than one enemy, and on top of that some enemies are just waaaay too good at blocking. Having Fred the Skeleton on hand will cause them to not all focus on you and open themselves up from behind. I went from struggling to progress near the middle of Ch2 (I was playing a mage so that late start really hurt) to basically having nearly full access of the island after summoning (trolls and ash beasts were a problem until shortly before the end).

Make or buy a big pile of scrolls and you're good to go.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The_Dude said:
Blur is tempting me, but I just can't pull the trigger yet...
Is an Activision game, so it's never going to get a pricedrop.....

...however, since they canned Bizarre Creations, I'm not giving them my money. Also, game seems pretty dead on PC last I heard.

Htown said:
I'm so weak.

Dead Rising, Darksiders, Risen and Wings of Prey.
On the other hand, those Blue Castle guys deserve it. They made a great followup to the first game.

I'm not sure on it though. I will eventually buy it, no doubt about that. It's just that It's going to be a while before I play any Dead Rising - I still didn't even start playing Case Zero. So many considerations....

Davedough said:
Are the sale days going to hit on the weekends too? So, should I be logging into Steam on Christmas day to catch that day's sale?

Every day until the 2nd. The sale never sleeps. The sale will not rest. The sale will not stop.
Until the 3rd of January. Then it stops.

Wallach

I <3 Memes said:
Every day until the 2nd. The sale never sleeps. The sale will not rest. The sale will not stop.
Until the 3rd of January. Then it stops.

They're so nice that they let me rest easy on my birthday to actually sit and play some of the shit I'm buying. :lol

Dennis

Banned
I <3 Memes said:
Story, atmosphere, RPG aspects, loot, the galaxy, all are done infinitely better in ME1.

Loved em all too. Except kaiden. Go mope around on somebody elses ship you freak.
Kaiden is dead

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yo...

I played Modern Warfare which I bought during the sale.

Oh man, that makes me not want to buy more games. It is one of the worst shooters I've ever played.

...guess I need to try playing something else to wash the taste out of my mouth.

52club

Just want to say Mafia 2 is totally worth that price, play it on easy and enjoy the story and atmosphere. Anyone have any opinions on Deathspank, I kind of feel like something where you can upgrade you character (like Torchlight), would Deathspank scratch that itch?

I understand Deathspank is more of a beat em up game.

The best thing about this sale is I already bought everything I want in other Steam sales so it's been pretty cheap for me so far. I might go buy X3:Gold though.

Dennis

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Based Gabe only gets my money for Operation Flashpoint 2 today. Was thinking of going for Alpha Protocol, but £5 is a bit too much for a game that is so artistically ugly looking.
Alpha Protocol looks pretty good actually.

Fredescu

Zachack said:
I may have missed this, but Blur opinions from a SP standpoint, anyone?
I didn't like it at all SP. The handling is far too anemic. It's definitely a kart racer. I much preferred stuff like Dirt 2, Split/Second, and Flaout: Ultimate Carnage. Maybe it's fun in MP, but I couldn't recommend it for SP when there are so many better arcade racer options.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Worst character designs in any game ever.
What? Do you live in a world with no Bethesda?

The animations are a bit dodgy, but there's actually a ini file fix to improve those.

Wallach

Snuggler said:
In my several replays of Mass Effect, the one things I've NEVER done is let Carth live.

That conversation is always pretty straightforward for me:

Kaiden: Save her, I knew what I signed up for when I joined you. And Shepard...
Me: Good idea, later man good luck with all that.

Lime

DennisK4 said:
Alpha Protocol looks pretty good actually.

I think he or she meant 'artistically' in a non-technical sense. Which I agree with:

alpha-protocol-nudity.jpg

and

alpha-protocol-sie-han0s18.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom