• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Xamdou said:
Anybody know the prices of the Mass Effect 2 DLC's? I already have the 360 version but didn't play any of the dlc's, so I was wondering how much the DLC's cost for the PC version.

They cost the same amount of "BioWare Points" as they do "MS Points". LotSB is like $10 worth, the other story packs are ~$7, and the weapon packs are like ~$2.

Dennis

Banned
Risen is a much better game than Oblivion.

And it is prettier too.

Forest feel like actual deep, dark and dangerous forests.

The game also features amazing lighting.

TheExodu5

Banned
thundr51 said:
hmm Risen is 14, but so is Oblivion GoTY. I guess if I were to pick up Risen, I might as well get oblivion...

Risen is far better than Oblivion.

Oblivion fully modded up is great though...but it'll take you a good 5+ hours to get it set up the way you want. I fully recommend some of the following mods (might not have the names for all of them):

4 mod overhaul (forget the name, includes OOO)
Qarl's Texture Pack
Qarl's Distance Landscape Pack
Better faces/bodies
Regular XP (gain xp for kills/quests instead of using skills)
Sunshine mod

Xamdou

Wallach said:
They cost the same amount of "BioWare Points" as they do "MS Points". LotSB is like $10 worth, the other story packs are ~$7, and the weapon packs are like ~$2.

Then there's no reason to double dip then, only upside is to play ME2 in 1080p max settings. Is there a chance that when the PS3 version of ME2 is released, Bioware/EA will release ab Ultimate version of ME2 with all DLC?

Sanjay

Buy.
2vhu5u0.jpg

Wallach

Xamdou said:
Then there's no reason to double dip then, only upside is to play ME2 in 1080p max settings. Is there a chance that when the PS3 version of ME2 is released, Bioware/EA will release ab Ultimate version of ME2 with all DLC?

Definitely a possibility. I would only double dip for the sake of being able to play ME3 on PC with a proper save file.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TheExodu5 said:
Wings of Prey worth $6?
If you don't mind the DRM.

Silent Hunter 5 worth $10?
No, get SH4: Wolves of the Pacific. Everyone agrees that they messed up 5.

I'm seriously tempted to get different stuff now. The sheer variety and volume is overtaking my desire for Dragon Age, which would be a massive dose of just one thing.

Starwolf_UK said:
The prices could still change, yesterday Tales of Monkey Island and Clones both dropped further in price.
Wait, what? Like they adjust it if not enough are biting?

TheExodu5 said:
Wings of Prey worth $6?

Silent Hunter 5 worth $10?

I've never really played either genre much before.

Both titles are more newbie friendly than their previous iterations, and as such Wings of Prey gets a bit more flak than it deserves. If you're just starting out into WWII aircraft sims, I'd highly suggest WoP as a good starting point.

As for Silent Hunter... get the 4th one, Wolves of the Pacific (And the U-Boat missions, since together it's basically the same price as the 5th game). It too is a bit less hardcore than it's predecessors, and a bit easier to get into. It's not much of a slouch either now that it's been patched up.

Or if you want hardcore and pretty close to god damn flawless, get SH3. Less concessions to those just starting out in that one, and it's kinda old and rough graphically, but who gives a shit since it's ridiculously awesome.

Psy-Phi

Jesus Christ Steam; just last night told my friend all I want for X-Mas from Steam is Dead Rising 2 for $15 and Darksiders for $15. Wake up today to find both on sale, though DR2 was $19.99, Darksiders is only $10...so it balances out; then I actually go to purchase them and find DR2 is $15.99 because I have RE5.

Guess I'm buying Blur too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Psy-Phi said:
Jesus Christ Steam; just last night told my friend all I want for X-Mas from Steam is Dead Rising 2 for $15 and Darksiders for $15. Wake up today to find both on sale, though DR2 was $19.99, Darksiders is only $10...so it balances out; then I actually go to purchase them and find DR2 is $15.99 because I have RE5.

Guess I'm buying Blur too.

Been trying this since the Sale started with the Borderlands DLC but no luck. Come on Gabe.

Zachack

aku08 said:
done. pulled the trigger on me2, alpha, and darksiders. had to sacrifice risen though. but if it shows up again as a sale jan2, then ill take it as fate and get it then.
Risen was on sale for $15 a few months back so it'll probably happen again.
Er, it's on a tropical island and it takes less than a minute to run through any of the "forests". If anything it's like an anti-Oblivion in that the actual surface world is pretty small but very content-dense (except for the east and west shores of the island which felt more like long paths and the late-game swamp that didn't really have much to do).

Hawk SE

In My Cart:
- BTTF The Game ($22)
- Darksiders ($10)
- Wings of Prey ($6)
- Alpha Protocol ($7.50)

Also, I'm probably getting divorced after the holidays (kidding, but might be true)

platypotamus said:
MOTHERFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

(did I miss anything good on the previous days?)
They should really have the indie deal of the day on the main page. Sol Survivor, Clones, now Doc Clock, and I guess there was one more?

Nabs

Schmattakopf said:
They should really have the indie deal of the day on the main page. Sol Survivor, Clones, now Doc Clock, and I guess there was one more?
iron grip for 2.50 (4x for 7.50).

Zachack

kamspy said:
I'm all about sketchy Eastern Euro games. It's my favorite genre actually.

But how buggy is Risen?
I beat it without crashes or significant glitches. Apparently it was a mess at launch but it was fixed when I played it. There's a bit of jank here and there (particularly falling and traps) but overall it was a pretty clean experience.
Can you play as a female in Risen?
No, and there is no character creation at all. Your character is like a Bald Space Marine stereotype. You develop your archetype as you play by "buying" skills with points you get from leveling.

I wouldn't let that deter you, though. It's more of a "wander around and explore, oh no here come wolves" RPG, not story-heavy like The Witcher or Bioware stuff. Granted I am a white, bald male with a short beard so identifying with the main character was a bit easier even though I don't speak in a weird british-ish accent.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Unless something really wows me, I am done with the sale. Dragon Age is the last game I rally want. Today was my most expensive day.

2 x Dead Rising 2 (1 for me, 1 a gift) = $40
Darksiders = $10

Wowza.

Total at $56.49 with Bully, Winterbottom, and Defense Grid.

Majeh

TheExodu5 said:
Risen is far better than Oblivion.

Oblivion fully modded up is great though...but it'll take you a good 5+ hours to get it set up the way you want. I fully recommend some of the following mods (might not have the names for all of them):

4 mod overhaul (forget the name, includes OOO)
Qarl's Texture Pack
Qarl's Distance Landscape Pack
Better faces/bodies
Regular XP (gain xp for kills/quests instead of using skills)
Sunshine mod

FCOM?

cicero

SalsaShark said:
I want Far Cry 2 to go a bit lower

and Aquaria since i dont own it on Steam

edit: Also Psychonauts
Buy the Humble Indie Bundle #2 and pay more than the average bundle price, currently $7.64+, and get the Humble Indie Bundle #1 for free, which has Aquaria, which can be activated on Steam.
http://www.humblebundle.com/

You win, and so to the children. Literally.

EDIT: Oops. Someone beat me to it.

The story so far

Sonic the hedgehog - gift

BBC2 - gift

BBC2 - gift

Deus Ex collection - gift

BBC2 - for me

Mass Effect 2 - for me

Total damage - $38.34

Not too bad.

fushi

kamspy said:
I'm all about sketchy Eastern Euro games. It's my favorite genre actually.

But how buggy is Risen?
I didn't trigger a certain checkpoint by conversing with a character at the right time and as a result all quest progression was halted. I had to do some console trickery to pass the on-going quest and start the next ones.

But I still loved the game and can't wait for the sequel. I wish they'd make it moddable...

Ettie

Zachack said:
I beat it without crashes or significant glitches. Apparently it was a mess at launch but it was fixed when I played it. There's a bit of jank here and there (particularly falling and traps) but overall it was a pretty clean experience.

No, and there is no character creation at all. Your character is like a Bald Space Marine stereotype. You develop your archetype as you play by "buying" skills with points you get from leveling.

I wouldn't let that deter you, though. It's more of a "wander around and explore, oh no here come wolves" RPG, not story-heavy like The Witcher or Bioware stuff. Granted I am a white, bald male with a short beard so identifying with the main character was a bit easier even though I don't speak in a weird british-ish accent.

Same here, right down to the lack of accent. Was shopping for the wife, she generally won't play RPG's or action games if you can't play as a female. Might still get it for m'self though.

Xamdou

Bah pulled the trigger on ME2 for $10, not going to wait any longer! :D

So how is Darksiders? I read the gamespot review and it said it has no video customization options?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there any way to make Wings of Prey play like Ace Combat 6? I don't care if it is proper or not, I want to play it like Ace Combat 6!

Or maybe at least a key mapping for the Ace Combat 6 Flight Stick, I saw a Generic Game Pad and a number of Flight Sticks, but not for the things I own (A 360 Controller and the aforementioned Ace Combat 6 Flight Stick)

Ramma2

fushi said:
So, just out of curiosity, which games are you guys still waiting for to go on sale?

I'm only waiting for Divinity II: DKS.

Nothing in mind, but that 5$ price point is a sweet spot for me. Drop something to that price and I suddenly realize I want that game!

Shaneus

fushi said:
So, just out of curiosity, which games are you guys still waiting for to go on sale?

I'm only waiting for Divinity II: DKS.
Personally, Crysis/Warhead bundle and (hopefully) Trackmania (though it's already discounted as part of a publisher's deal). Actually, both are. But the first rule of Steam sales is not to talk about Steam sales (with anyone you know IRL) do not buy anything unless it's part of a daily deal until the last day.

Jumping in on Darksiders (have it on 360, played briefly but was pretty good) and Wings of Prey. Everyone else should be getting in on Blur (which I picked up last sale, crazy fun and looks gret), Dead Rising 2 (which I already have, paid full price for and don't regret for a second) and Alpha Protocol (last sale).

Actually, holy shit... the fact that Dead Rising 2 multiplayer will have a whole bunch of fresh meat to wipe the floor with online means I might fire it up for a bit today. Yes!

Edit: On the news of that DRM, will not get Wings... especially considering I'll be reinstalling Windows on an SSD over the next few days. Just Darksiders then!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bought the fuck out of Dead Rising 2. I'm getting a 2nd one to send my bro for Chrimbus, it only feels right to share the GOTY love. Killer deal for a killer game.

I'm getting Alpha Protocol as well, maybe Risen but it might be overkill. I was hoping for a deal on the Mass Effects, and $30 is so worth it if you haven't played them, but I feel like I could find a better deal if I wait.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
EzLink said:
I have a question! I've never purchased anything from Steam before, but I got a Macbook Pro over the summer and I'm interested in The Orange Box (which is basically the only good game available on steam for Mac :/). It's $14.99 right now, which I'm of course willing to pay for such a great bargain, but is there a decent chance it will have a further drop in price at some point over the sale? I don't mind waiting for a potential price drop, but if it's unlikely that it will happen I'll probably just buy it after work tonight

Thanks guys!

Earlier in the thread everyone said wait until they are a daily deal. If on the last day, they still aren't a daily deal, then buy them at the price that they've been all along.

I picked up the entire Valve collection when it was mispriced (?) at $25. As a Mac gamer, that has a lot of stuff that I can't play, but it did get me L4D and L4D2 for $10 more... and the prolonged hope that one day HL1 will get ported.

hlhbk

DennisK4 said:
Risen is a much better game than Oblivion.

And it is prettier too.

The game also features amazing lighting.

That looks great. I already have Darksiders in my basket, but am still on the fence about Risen. How is the story? I play games now mainly for story, and loved Oblivion's story.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
platypotamus said:
MOTHERFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

(did I miss anything good on the previous days?)
I have to say the Indie Deal of the day is in a piss poor place. Small corner on the 14 page with no advertisement

Anyways, I played the last two Daily Deals(This one doesn't have a fucking demo and I haven't seen any responses yet to asking how it is).

Ironclad was 2 days ago, it's a rough FPS+Tower Defense. But it was pretty fun and I decided to get it.

Clones was yesterday and felt like a poor lemmings clone. Didn't get this one.

sturmdogg

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm disappointed with today's deals.

Mass Effect 1 is $9.99
Mass Effect 2 is $24.99 (regular edition)

Looks like I'm getting these at GG. Sorry Gabe.

suplex

Well I somehow managed to go three days without buying anything, but it looks like that will end today. Seriously considering Darksiders and Dead Rising 2.

3rdman

sturmdogg said:

Mass Effect 1 is $9.99

They are both $9.99...

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
sturmdogg said:

Mass Effect 1 is $9.99

It seems you're not in the US, try and get someone to do ME2 for you for $10.00 and pay them back.

Dennis

Banned
People, you NEED to get Risen now while its cheap. The sequel has already been announced and this is the perfect chance to play Risen. Otherwise Risen 2 will come out and you will feel you have play the first game before the sequel.

Why are people asking about this and that about it anyway? I told you it was the 2009 RPG GOTY - don't cheat yourself out of this game. Best exploration RPG since Morrowind (Two Worlds II is also in that same league of exploration RPGs).

hlhbk

DennisK4 said:
People, you NEED to get Risen now while its cheap. The sequel has already been announced and this is the perfect chance to play Risen. Otherwise Risen 2 will come out and you will feel you have play the first game before the sequel.

Why are people asking about this and that about it anyway? I told you it was the 2009 RPG GOTY - don't cheat yourself out of this game. Best exploration RPG since Morrowind (Two Worlds II is also in that same league of exploration RPGs).

I am asking about it because I play games for the stories, and nobody here has been giving it a ringing endorsement for the story. What is your take on the story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom