• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Java threatened that the bunny would die if I didn't buy the Overlord pack for $3, so I guess I'll try it even though I wasn't interested in the games. :p

I miiiiight get the King Arthur pack (or should I just avoid the DLC?) if people think it's really that good, but I dunno. I'm not much of an RTS person and I'd want to read up on the game a little.

Arma II question: Is it worth it in people's opinions? $10 isn't bad, but I seem to recall it was rough on performance. I'd been waiting on a sale. Would it be better to wait on a cheaper deap for the combined Arma II + Arrowhead sale, or is Arrowhead not worth it?

John

bought dmc4 and overlord ii, read the thread a little, went back and bought ghost recon, read a little more, went and bought king arthur

this place is ridiculous

joesmokey

So much for nothing. Now that they fixed Borderlands GOTY, bought that as a gift. How is Mad Moxxi and Claptrap DLC? That's the only DLC I'm missing for my vanilla Borderlands.

John

also are either arma ii or battlefield 2 worth it in any capacity for someone who won't play multiplayer

on the steam pages it's marked that they have "single-player" but i don't know what that means

kamspy

People need to pick up Borderlands. It's just a little UI polish away from being a classic. It still probably is.

I bet it's remembered as one of the best games this gen.

John said:
also are either arma ii or battlefield 2 worth it in any capacity for someone who doesn't play online

Hell no to BF2. It's full of pro's who can't be bothered to have a noob on their teams. I'm sure it's a great game, but if you're not into it already you've missed the boat.

Ceebs

Mr. Snrub said:
Borderlands is a great game.

Just saw that Two Worlds 2 isn't even on Steam...was hoping for a sale on that :-\
Not sure if TW2 has even had an official English release yet. Everyone in the TW2 thread shelled out 60 bucks to buy it from Germany. (Money well spent if you ask me)

Hmm... I think I'll pass of purchases today. Might as well save my monies for the full priced Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Well, DMC4 is slightly tempting...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So to a person with limited funds who could actually get another game with the tiny amount saved, is there a point to getting the full Overlord pack rather than just one of the games? What the differences/benefits between them?

How is CS:Source's community these days? I am thinking about gifting it to my dad and was wondering if he will get slaughtered by tons of awesome players online :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Me: Hmm, King Arthur, I dunno...
Me: Oh good, there's a demo.
Me: *buys King Arthur Complete Pack*
Me: Wtf just happened?

True Story.

Fallout NV is finally mine. And now I own all the Borderlands DLC without buying the GOTY. My wishlist is shrinking every day thanks to these sales. :D

TheExecutive said:
How is CS:Source's community these days? I am thinking about gifting it to my dad and was wondering if he will get slaughtered by tons of awesome players online :lol

Yes. He'll be slaughtered and they'll tell him all about it too.

John

kamspy said:
Hell no to BF2. It's full of pro's who can't be bothered to have a noob on their teams. I'm sure it's a great game, but if you're not into it already you've missed the boat.
i think you misunderstood; i'm asking as someone who won't play online multiplayer, in b2 or arma2. the steam pages are marked as supporting "single-player" but that could mean anything.

Blizzard

Banned
ZZMitch said:
ANy of the the Borderlands DLC worth the 5 bucks?

Just started the main game
The general impression I get is that General Knoxx is quite good, Mad Moxy's is quite bad, and the rest are in between. I haven't played them myself though.

I'm tempted to get Overlord, Arthur, AND Arma II now! I just want to know if Arrowhead is good/important. If it is, I'll probably just hold off on Arma II for now, and maybe get them together some day. I don't have much disk space left so I'm not trying the Arthur demo.

kamspy

John said:
i think you misunderstood; i'm asking as someone who won't play online multiplayer, in b2 or arma2. the steam pages are marked as supporting "single-player" but that could mean anything.

BF2 has no single player. Well, unless you count matches against bots. There is no campaign.

Double D

So, Borderlands. GOTY is just the base game plus all 4 dlc's, right? Any chance two of those dlc pieces are garbage? If that happens to be the case, I can just pay $20 and be done.

LCfiner

I think I'm gonna get New Vegas. Pretty good chance that I'll finish it before the fall of next year and I don't think it'll drop below 25 (I own FO3) before then.

side note: spent the last 2 hours fighting with display driver issues and had to boot into safe mode around a half dozen times to manually delete a .sys file to get my screen to turn on during boot - this one file would always be corrupted with each reinstall.

good times...

Kayhan

Blizzard said:
The general impression I get is that General Knoxx is quite good, Mad Moxy's is quite bad, and the rest are in between. I haven't played them myself though.

I'm tempted to get Overlord, Arthur, AND Arma II now! I just want to know if Arrowhead is good/important. If it is, I'll probably just hold off on Arma II for now, and maybe get them together some day. I don't have much disk space left so I'm not trying the Arthur demo.
Operation Arrowhead is important if you want to play Arma 2 with mods or online.

Most mods require assets from OA

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I downgraded to 10.10e and Darksiders still averages at around 35fps. But hey, +10 frames! Maxes out at 70 when looking at a wall :D So apparently a Dual Core isn't enough for a 360 port.

Edit: It dips below 30 even at 800x600 :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Kayhan said:
Operation Arrowhead is important if you want to play Arma 2 with mods or online.

Most mods require assets from OA
Thanks, that's all I wanted to hear. That'll save me $10, and I'll feel better about getting the whole Arthur pack instead of skipping DLC (unless anyone wants to tell me the Arthur DLC is bad. :p)

Safe Bet

Banned
Bread said:
5 bucks for Battlefield 2 is pretty good, how many people still play that?
cicero said:
Battlefield 2, is there anyone still playing it??

kamspy said:
:/

Always wanted to play it but never got the chance to.

*ponder*

An-Det

Getting Battlefield 2, Claptrap for Borderlands, Ghost Recon pack, and King Arhur pack for $25.36. Tempted on DMC4, not sure yet though.

Flambe

King Arthur bought even though I hadn't ever really looked into it, fuckers.

Waffling on BF2, I owned it when it first came out but lost the discs over the years. It was fun, but then I have all the newer ones to play too... but wasn't BF2 Karkand, frick and it's $5... fuck my life

Arma
And to people asking about Arma. Yeah it's pretty frickin awesome, personally I love flying the little bird choppers. It's so badass when your team takes one of the town, pops flares in the middle and you skim the rooftops and manage a perfect landing. Your buddies rush from the alleys and hop in, then you zip up and yaw over towards the next objective, or base if they need to replenish.

Some servers lock you from using their vehicles if you're not in their clan which sucks though. And when I played, it was pretty much always on the same map which got kinda stale. There were other ones out there though.

Also the game is very hardcore. You're going to die A LOT before you start to get a feel for it, when to medpack, etc. There's a huge risk of death as you're just pushing into town so yeah. Hell, you die a lot if you're 500m away on a hill sniping at the town, which is good I guess cause godmode would suck.

There are some great little side missions that pop up too in the map I played. Like an enemy convoy is tryign to get somewhere, so you saddle up a squad in a helo and find where they are, then go ahead of them and find a good ambush spot.
Or there are missions where you steal a prototype tank or helo, then your side gets to use it (until it crashes/explodifies)

I wish I had Operation Arrowhead/etc as comparison, I don't know whether to say wait for it to go on sale too.

ne1

jiien said:
So how is ARMA II? The store page says something about exploring a large world, or something. Is it sort of like Crysis or Far Cry where you walk around across a large world doing stuff, shooting baddies as you go? Because if so, while leveling up proficiency with a tons of different weapons, and customizing, and what have you, sounds AWESOME.
It sounds like you should check Xenus 2 and Precursors out... (More impressions here.)
ARMA II is a hardcore military shooter with a large world, but doesn't quite play like anything you're describing. It's awesome though, here is a writeup of one of RPS' community gaming nights with it.

Day 5:
King Arthur Complete Pack ($5.39)
Overlord Complete Pack ($3.00)
Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse ($9.99)
Shattered Union ($0.49)

As I said, probably the most enticing day since the first one. I wasn't planning to buy Overlord originally, but getting the games for only $3 was too tempting to pass up (Insert "Curse you, Newell!" here). Also decided to take my chances on King Arthur, and picked up Shattered Union too.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
do the king arthur expansions benefit the original campaign, or are they by separate? i don't usually buy expansions until i'm done with the oc. not so much a price thing, i just don't like to buy things i know there's every chance i won't play. atleast if it benefits the oc i know i''ll get something out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom