• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad move on Capcom's part, even if it was a pricing error now everyone is going to feel like they're getting ripped off at $10 when it was $5 before, should have just bit the bullet and kept it.

Caoz

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Yes, it's well optimized. Game looks great all maxed out, actually.

Thanks to all that shared their experience.

Boo to Valve for doubling the price before we could buy it at $5 :(

d[-_-]b

Banned
Rodney McKay said:
I have an Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHz processor and a Radeon 5770 card.

Will Saints Row 2 be able to run well for me?
People said the game runs awful and it's unoptimized, so i'd go with no?

Truespeed

Rodney McKay said:
I have an Athlon II X4 640 3.0 GHz processor and a Radeon 5770 card.

Will Saints Row 2 be able to run well for me?

As long as you don't crank the settings to the max I see no problems with your setup as it's well above minimum specs for the game. I'd be more concerned about the download size - 15GB?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
hlhbk said:
I also want to throw my hat into the DO NOT BUY SAINTS ROW 2 FOR PC hat. It's optimization makes GTA's look awesome.

I have DMC 4 for 360 and and am currently downloading it for PC. I will give my impressions of it after checking it out.
Ditto

Saint's Row 2 sucks

Dambrosi

Banned
UrbanRats said:
Anyway, how's Lumines for PC?
Make sure you have a controller, at least. KB&M controls suck.

Otherwise, it's practically the PSP version in hi-res on a monitor, afaik (maybe some songs are missing, I don't know for sure).

Kuro Madoushi said:
Saint's Row 2 sucks on PC. Get the console versions for cheap instead.

IMACOMPUTA

brain_stew is going to be in here to yell at us about the SR2 hate.
I have an i5 750 and a 5850 and the game runs fine.
There was some weird blur issue the last time i tried it..
I chose to get it on xbox 360 and had a lot more fun with it.

Xater

I am kinda pissed now...Yesterday I was eager to finally play the latest Sam & max season and bought it on PSN for 25€. FU Steam! :(

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah. Double dipped on borderlands. I own the PS3 version and have played the hell out of it, but I got the PC version to do some co-op with some friends. I am so weak.

Nabs

Caoz said:
I feel that is my duty to warn everybody to stay away from saints row 2. I can run every game I have bought and they all play fine on my HD 4850 but SR2. Is an unplayable mess, it only took 5 mins to be un-installed.

On this note. could anyone share their experiences with DMC4 ? Is it optimized ?

dmc is so optimized it's not even funny. capcom is working with dark magic.

what the F??? Finally booted up aliens vs predator and the audio is all jacked. Just makes some wierd ass humming sound. Doesnt steam automatically update it with patches?? I have a radeon HD 5770. not sure whats goin on.

Yasae

Banned
Finally some people agreeing with me on the Saints Row 2 port. If you have problems with it (and there's a fair chance you will,) too bad, Volition will NEVER make another patch. They stopped doing that in 2009. The game is basically unsupported. Yes I'm trashing them for being lazy assholes and not fixing huge problems in their code for over a year.

We can hate a developer who tries to make amends (Just Add Water,) but ohhhh no, we can't whine about any other titles where a developer doesn't even try to make things right. I hate the idiocy in this forum sometimes.

So. What's the word on the King Arthur pack..? Worth it or not?

MNC

How's Saints Row 2? I mean for this price you can't go wrong... Does it use Steam or GFWL? Is the game really that bad of a port?

Yasae said:
Finally some people agreeing with me on the Saints Row 2 port. If you have problems with it (and there's a fair chance you will,) too bad, Volition will NEVER make another patch. They stopped doing that in 2009. The game is basically unsupported. Yes I'm trashing them for being lazy assholes and not fixing huge problems in their code for over a year.

We can hate a developer who tries to make amends (Just Add Water,) but ohhhh no, we can't whine about any other titles where a developer doesn't even try to make things right. I hate the idiocy in this forum sometimes.

Yup. It's why I won't be supporting Volition by purchasing any other game from them. Like you said, Just Add Water C.E.O. may have made some poor statements but at least he came in here to communicate and eventually did apologize. That's a stand up move right there. Freaking Volition? Heh. Won't be buying either Saints Row 3 nor Red Faction: Armageddon.

Has anybody had luck running Battlefield 2 on Windows 7 64 bit? I can get into the game but everytime I hit join game for multiplayer it crashes to desktop.

Carlisle

Wow @ DMC4. I had it in my shopping cart, but got busy at work before I could buy it. Came back a couple hours later to checkout and saw it said $10. WTF is that? How is $10 on a mediocre 3-year old game a good deal considering all the other mind-boggling deals Steam has made?

After changing my mind and deciding to hold of on New Vegas as well, today is my first no-purchase sale day. I can finally rest.

Yasae

Banned
MNC said:
How's Saints Row 2? I mean for this price you can't go wrong... Does it use Steam or GFWL? Is the game really that bad of a port?
It's that bad. It does activate via Steam, I originally bought it from D2D when it was on sale last year. Here's my system:

C2D E6550 @2.3 GHz
Palit GTX 460 OC @ 833 MHz, 1 GB RAM
4 GB RAM @ 800 MHz

Incurable stuttering, doesn't run. No fixes worked (and I looked at many), no source for the problem found, no patches fixed anything.

There are enough people who've played with no problems, I'm just saying... The precedent is there. Be careful.

Ourobolus said:
Gah. Double dipped on borderlands. I own the PS3 version and have played the hell out of it, but I got the PC version to do some co-op with some friends. I am so weak.

Don't feel so bad. I already own the disc version of arma II but just bought the steam version for convenience. I suck.

Also bought the sam+max:devils playhouse episodes. First day of the sale thats gotten me to bite, everything else on the previous days I either wasn't interested in or already owned. Feeling tempted by the ghost recon package too.

Just to Devil's Advocate on behalf of Volition here based on other, similar situations: It's probably more THQ's fault than Volition's.

Much of the time when patches don't come out, it's because the publisher refuses to "waste" any more resources on the patch, including doing QA on it, and they refuse to allow the patch to be released without QA, so the devs can't even work on a patch without being paid and then release it.

fatty

Fatty: "Ahh, all of the Ghost Recon games for $10, what a steal!!!"

*reads posts about how bad the PC versions of GRAW are*

Fatty: "Well, the "GAF Consensus" seems to be that the non-GRAW games are pretty good, and still only $5!!"

*looks at shelf of dusty Xbox GR and 360 GRAW games*

Fatty: "Crap, you almost had me Gabe, you sly dog!!! Well played, sir."

dream

fatty said:
Fatty: "Ahh, all of the Ghost Recon games for $10, what a steal!!!"

*reads posts about how bad the PC versions of GRAW are*

Fatty: "Well, the "GAF Consensus" seems to be that the non-GRAW games are pretty good, and still only $5!!"

*looks at shelf of dusty Xbox GR and 360 GRAW games*

Fatty: "Crap, you almost had me Gabe, you sly dog!!! Well played, sir."

but you don't have them on steam

Truespeed

MotorbreathX said:
Has anybody had luck running Battlefield 2 on Windows 7 64 bit? I can get into the game but everytime I hit join game for multiplayer it crashes to desktop.

Yup, Win 7 64 bit here and no problems.

bee

saints row 2 ran fine for me when we played it in co-op, 30-40fps with max settings, was running 1680x1050 back then though. it's a fun game, for a while at least, still got some old screens in my fraps dir :p

1rmjm.jpg

27mnc.jpg

Dambrosi

Banned
Yasae said:

Bravo, good sir.

And once again, another public service announcement:

SAINT'S ROW 2 SUCKS ON PC. BUY THE CONSOLE VERSIONS INSTEAD.

Thank you.

(Oh yeah, just now bought PB Winterbottom and Shattered Union. For those prices, you just can't go wrong! Now looking at Civ IV Complete, hoping for Crysis, Killing Floor or Bloodlines deal.)

Yasae

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Yup. It's why I won't be supporting Volition by purchasing any other game from them. Like you said, Just Add Water C.E.O. may have made some poor statements but at least he came in here to communicate and eventually did apologize. That's a stand up move right there. Freaking Volition? Heh. Won't be buying either Saints Row 3 nor Red Faction: Armageddon.
Indeed. And I was impressed at the Amnesia guys for fixing the older ATI card conflicts. I had an X1900 when the demo first came out and it would crash early on. They got feedback, they worked on the problem, and they fixed it totally and completely the next patch. It was timely and accurate for a developer with pockets that aren't exactly deep.

That's how it should work.

platypotamus said:
Just to Devil's Advocate on behalf of Volition here based on other, similar situations: It's probably more THQ's fault than Volition's.

Much of the time when patches don't come out, it's because the publisher refuses to "waste" any more resources on the patch, including doing QA on it, and they refuse to allow the patch to be released without QA, so the devs can't even work on a patch without being paid and then release it.

The problem is that Volition was just crappy at communicating. Basically acted like the PC customers should be grateful they even offered the game to them in the first place. Truly a pathetic showing.

Yasae said:
Indeed. And I was impressed at the Amnesia guys for fixing the older ATI card conflicts. I had an X1900 when the demo first came out and it would crash early on. They got feedback, they worked on the problem, and they fixed it totally and completely the next patch. It was timely and accurate for a developer with pockets that aren't exactly deep.

That's how it should work.

Yup. And honestly, I wouldn't be as peeved if Volition actually took the time to communicate the problems with their customers. They didn't. It was basically 'no more for you, stfu and go away'. Customer service is as important IMO as the quality of the experience and Volition was extremely crappy in that area as well.

Supposedly Volition let another company do the porting job for SR2 on the PC. Well, it was Volition who refused to offer their customers a sincere apology for the mess of the port.

Kayhan

Service announcement

BUY SAINTS ROW 2

suggesting that people should buy it for console is crazy.

On PC the graphics and resolution is much better.

LovingSteam said:
The problem is that Volition was just crappy at communicating. Basically acted like the PC customers should be grateful they even offered the game to them in the first place. Truly a pathetic showing.

Yeah, I admit to not being too familiar with the situation (played it on consoles a ways back), so if there are specifics at play here that I'm not aware of, rock on.

I just like to use any opportunity possible to spout my general pro-developer anti-publisher agenda.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
PC version of GRAW must be really brutal if what people say is true. I remember one time I was hanging out with a big group of friends (like 10-12) and we were all taking turns at trying to beat GRAW levels on 360. It was hilarious because we all kept dying so much, switching off just to watch the next person die after like 3 minutes. Apparently the PC version makes it seem like a casual shooter? Yikes.

fatty

MNC said:

I don't know, Yasae, Dambrosi and many others seem to think it is the best version available.

I kid, I kid.

dream said:
but you don't have them on steam

Unfortunately, that argument wins much more than it should. :lol :lol

But not today, Gabe!!!

Phloxy

WRONG! Saints Row 2 has received a shit ton of support from a good chap named the IDOLNINJA!

I had SR2 on 360 and played the shit out of it. Friends and I bought it on PC bought it and were pretty disappointed by it.

This man however, has created an amazing, huge giant mod called gentleman of the row. At first it was just a collection of a bunch of user made mods in one neat little package. But it has been updated almost monthly for the past year and a half and there has been tons and tons of new content added in the game. New clothes, music, controller options, graphic changes, optimization, logos, missions, unlocks, even added rewards for previous activities and entire re-balancing of the games main story and side mission progression.

It's a super easy mod to install, you can play co-op if your buddy has it installed as well. Seriously, give it a go.

http://idolninja.com/blog/?cat=3

That's the site, has the links for the newest builds. Even if you played the shit out of it on Xbox 360 or PS3, there is so much new content it's worth a complete replay.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lostconfused said:
Resident Evil 5 capped out at 45 frames on my Core 2 Duo.
That's weird, because RE5 ran great on mine. Especially DirectX 10 mode. In game ranged from 120+ down to 40s. Not bad at all, in fact. It also looks 10 times better than Darksiders. As does DMC4 which also runs fantastic. [/E-Penis]

Edit:
fatty said:
I'm still catching up with this thread, but I just gotta know, what did Easy_D have in there before "netbook" mode for torchlight?

I put Laptop mode :lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom