• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danneee

€5 for King Arthur? Sooo bought, the demo was nice, kind of a crossover between Shadow of the Horned Rat/sequel to that and Total War.

Lumine

I think this is the first day I might not buy anything. Which is actually a good thing considering what I've already spent. :lol

Still I find myself contemplating the Overlord pack, Saint's Row 2 and King Arthur. :S

Im_Special

Hey guys, So I bought King Arthur Complete Pack but it only shows up as King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame on my Steam list with no mention of owning the DLC and even allows me to rebuy the DLC, so did something go wrong with this transaction or is this normal? If I download King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame is that with the DLC already included?

Nabs

Im_Special said:
Hey guys, So I bought King Arthur Complete Pack but it only shows up as King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame on my Steam list with no mention of owning the DLC and even allows me to rebuy the DLC, so did something go wrong with this transaction or is this normal? If I download King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame is that with the DLC already included?

right click the game and go to properties. check the dlc tab there

Lumine

Im_Special said:

Press right mouse button on the game and click view downloadable content. Most games have their DLC listed on there.

Cronen

Im_Special said:
If you right click it, there should be a "View downloadable content" option!

Kayhan

Im_Special said:
Right click on the game in your library list, then click View Downloadable Content. Your DLC should show up. It does for me.

Edit: beaten many times :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yasae said:
So. What's the word on the King Arthur pack..? Worth it or not?
Blind bought.

Installing now for those on the fence. Will report back, in a couple hours.

Zzoram

EW DMC4 raised in price. I had it in my cart at 4.99 but went to pickup some last minute xmas stuff ugh ugh ugh.

Just FNV at $25 for me then. I've been good, FNV is my first purchase this month on Steam. I'm getting better at holding out for great deals on great games that I actually intend to play.

I can't find anything to buy today, makes me wish I bought Risen or Alpha Protocol yesterday..

I got so burnt by Stranger's Wrath I can't buy anything :lol

I only saw DMC4 at $10 when I woke up. I'm glad I saw it at that price because I'd only be bitching at myself for not buying a game that I'll never play(already beat and was not impressed).:lol

I also picked up CS:Source for some multiplayer fun. I'm surprised by it's size too. :lol

Ghost Recon + Expansions are the best tactical military shooters I've played bar none.. They are really up there with the Delta Force games (which would look like utter shit today because they were software rendered IIRC..)

biocat

The only purchase I was going to make today, the Claptrap DLC, I've decided to hold off on. Borderlands goes on sale so often and I'm not even that far in the game.
My Steam holiday fund stays safe for today!

owlbeak

Today brought me much happiness! Bought the BF2 Complete Collection, even though I already own them all on CD, the digital copy will be nice, especially at $5! Also picked up ArmA II finally, and Wings of Prey (own the 360 version Birds of War).

TheFatOne

Yasae said:
We can hate a developer who tries to make amends (Just Add Water,) but ohhhh no, we can't whine about any other titles where a developer doesn't even try to make things right. I hate the idiocy in this forum sometimes.[/B]

So. What's the word on the King Arthur pack..? Worth it or not?

How did I miss this. The situations are not the same. Oddworld is a franchise that is loved by many. Can't fuck up a port like that. It's inexcusable. The way the CEO handled the situation was stupid. Sure an apology after the fact is nice, but that doesn't fix any of the issues with the game. JAW made the worst port I have ever seen.

jet1911

Dambrosi said:
Steam menu > Settings > Downloads & Cloud > Download Region > change to somewhere like Africa or the Ukraine > Restart Steam > try again > PROFIT! :lol

Canada (Montreal) - 1.1 mbs :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nothing yet again. Part of me is getting bored of the steam christmas sales, 95% of it is the same shit as always. Most publishers don't seem to be taking a risk at offering a crazy cheap price on a game that's say 3 months old.

NV isn't too bad but it's still $30, not cheap at all and considering you could probably pickup the GOTY next year with all the bullshit dlc included for the same price, waiting seems like a good option on that.

Truespeed

MotorbreathX said:
WTF. I've updated Punkbuster and disabled Steam Community but it still does it. Did you do anything special?

Didn't really do anything special. In fact the only thing I did was relocate the game to another drive and use a symbolic link to point to it. Are you able to play a single player game?

Claptrap DLC and that Saxons King Arthur DLC for me tomorrow morning---too bad that new Druid DLC for King Arthur didn't make it out in time for the sale.

:shakes first at 4th Quarter 2010 supposed release date:

Bebpo

Banned
It's weird how Capcom has never understood Steam sales. Every year they sell their old ass PC ports of console games for $20-30 full price and then give maybe a 25% or at most in the utter generosity, 50% discount. But you never see their stuff for under $10. DMC4 was $10 last x-mas sale and I didn't bite because $10 was too much for such an old game that was $5 or under everywhere else by then. This time I picked it up at $5 thinking it really should be $2.50 by now and it turns out it was a mistake and they actually wanted to sell it at $10. RE5 is pretty damn old by now and missing the DLC scenarios of the console versions and they still won't dip below $10 for steam sales. If Lost Planet 2 goes on sale it'll probably be $20 at 50% off of $40. Which is a joke for a game with bad word of mouth and poor sales.

For a while I thought maybe it was just a Japanese thing. That Japanese game publishers are less willing to do steep price drops for sales as games become older in order to move stock that isn't moving on its own. But then the only other major Japanese publisher on steam is Square Enix and SE has been showing that they understand digital pricing. Last year they had Last Remnant down to $10 pretty fast, this year they dropped Kane & Lynch 2 down to five dollars within a few months (K&L2 is basically SE's equivalent of Capcom's Lost Planet 2), Lara Croft has gone on sale, Deus Ex packs are dirt cheap, Just Cause 2 is cheap, the entire SE pack is a steal at 88% off. SE has brought the some of the best deals on steam in the last two years.

So it's definitely not a Japanese thing. Capcom is just dumb and elitist and unwilling to lower their prices for the common pleebs.

/rant off

Truespeed said:
Didn't really do anything special. In fact the only thing I did was relocate the game to another drive and use a symbolic link to point to it. Are you able to play a single player game?

I didn't try the single player. Unfortunately I'm at work now and can't mess with it.

I've had the pack for awhile and ran into these issues then (about a year ago) and got it to work on a dual boot with 32 bit Vista. I hate doing that though. Especially if it works on Windows 7. Maybe I can uninstall and delete any registry links and whatnot to start clean. Don't know.

Truespeed

For those that don't like to get their hands dirty with DOS prompts and symbolic links, there's an app for that. It's called Steam Mover and it will move your Steam games from one directory to another if your constrained for space or just want to place all of your big games on a big data drive.

SteamWindow.PNG

Link

Borman

Battlefield 2 pack, Overlord pack, King Arthur pack, and Ghost Recon pack. Had most of the other titles, is that bad? Hah

so Saints Row 2 any good? I played the original and thought it had some humor but other than that just a basic gta clone, did the second add anything special? I will probably buy it anyways as long as no one convinces me otherwise :lol

JoeBoy101

arts&crafts said:
so Saints Row 2 any good? I played the original and thought it had some humor but other than that just a basic gta clone, did the second add anything special? I will probably buy it anyways as long as no one convinces me otherwise :lol

Good game.

BAAAaad Port.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
based on past years, does Valve do anything special on Chrimbus (like a REALLY hot deal)?

it would be a nice way to spread the Holiday cheer or whatever the fuck it is

All of this back and forth on BF2 and Ghost recon is getting to me. I wouldn't mind getting either one, but the opinions are so mixed(only pros left or the game is completely different) that I don't eve know where to begin.
Bebpo said:
It's weird how Capcom has never understood Steam sales. Every year they sell their old ass PC ports of console games for $20-30 full price and then give maybe a 25% or at most in the utter generosity, 50% discount. But you never see their stuff for under $10. DMC4 was $10 last x-mas sale and I didn't bite because $10 was too much for such an old game that was $5 or under everywhere else by then. This time I picked it up at $5 thinking it really should be $2.50 by now and it turns out it was a mistake and they actually wanted to sell it at $10. RE5 is pretty damn old by now and missing the DLC scenarios of the console versions and they still won't dip below $10 for steam sales. If Lost Planet 2 goes on sale it'll probably be $20 at 50% off of $40. Which is a joke for a game with bad word of mouth and poor sales.

For a while I thought maybe it was just a Japanese thing. That Japanese game publishers are less willing to do steep price drops for sales as games become older in order to move stock that isn't moving on its own. But then the only other major Japanese publisher on steam is Square Enix and SE has been showing that they understand digital pricing. Last year they had Last Remnant down to $10 pretty fast, this year they dropped Kane & Lynch 2 down to five dollars within a few months (K&L2 is basically SE's equivalent of Capcom's Lost Planet 2), Lara Croft has gone on sale, Deus Ex packs are dirt cheap, Just Cause 2 is cheap, the entire SE pack is a steal at 88% off. SE has brought the some of the best deals on steam in the last two years.

So it's definitely not a Japanese thing. Capcom is just dumb and elitist and unwilling to lower their prices for the common pleebs.

/rant off
I just chalk it up to lack of awareness on the part of most console centric publishers/developers. There are a few exceptions here and there, but most of them still understand very little about how to cater to their audience without ripping their wallets right out of their hands.

You can see this when you notice that 95% of the games on consoles have only experienced price increases even if it's detrimental to the genre(lightgun, fighting, puzzle, platformer). Big companies like square have more invested in the western audience and Capcom should follow suit if their current direction(more western focus) is to be believed.

Yasae

Banned
TheFatOne said:
How did I miss this. The situations are not the same. Oddworld is a franchise that is loved by many. Can't fuck up a port like that. It's inexcusable. The way the CEO handled the situation was stupid. Sure an apology after the fact is nice, but that doesn't fix any of the issues with the game. JAW made the worst port I have ever seen.
This is under the assumption they'll fix those problems (I sure hope they do, too many customers not to,) but imagine if you never got a patch to fix any of those issues, and none of the Oddworld games worked... For all eternity.

That's Saints Row 2. The situations are not the same, you're right. I'm pretty sure Volition had a lot more money to patch things up, too, but their publisher just got greedy. How much it cost to develop Saints Row 2 vs how much it cost to port over some old games is not a very good comparison.

And now you know I've dealt with a game that had worse problems, lost money on it just like everybody else, and still don't support all this bile? I'm a fucking loon by GAF's measuring stick. Or - more likely - maybe other people are the loons for once.
Phloxy said:
WRONG! Saints Row 2 has received a shit ton of support from a good chap named the IDOLNINJA!

I had SR2 on 360 and played the shit out of it. Friends and I bought it on PC bought it and were pretty disappointed by it.

This man however, has created an amazing, huge giant mod called gentleman of the row. At first it was just a collection of a bunch of user made mods in one neat little package. But it has been updated almost monthly for the past year and a half and there has been tons and tons of new content added in the game. New clothes, music, controller options, graphic changes, optimization, logos, missions, unlocks, even added rewards for previous activities and entire re-balancing of the games main story and side mission progression.

It's a super easy mod to install, you can play co-op if your buddy has it installed as well. Seriously, give it a go.

http://idolninja.com/blog/?cat=3

That's the site, has the links for the newest builds. Even if you played the shit out of it on Xbox 360 or PS3, there is so much new content it's worth a complete replay.
Thanks, I'll give it a go. If it fixes the stuttering and gets the game up to speed, I'll donate.

Because that's the way things should be.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Snuggler said:
based on past years, does Valve do anything special on Chrimbus (like a REALLY hot deal)?

it would be a nice way to spread the Holiday cheer or whatever the fuck it is

I don't think so. It's also christmas right now!!

sca2511

A little tight on money so I'm getting one sale per day. Would you guys pick the battlefield 2 pack or the ghost recon pack?

Cruzader

Banned
Truespeed said:
For those that don't like to get their hands dirty with DOS prompts and symbolic links, there's an app for that. It's called Steam Mover and it will move your Steam games from one directory to another if your constrained for space or just want to place all of your big games on a big data drive.

SteamWindow.PNG

Link
Wow thanx alot for this! Hoping to move stuff like this on my spare external 1.5TB HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom