• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bebpo said:
Has anyone actually played King Arthur? Need some feedback as to how accessible the game is.
I've played about an hour. It seems plenty accessible to me. The first bit of it is a fairly hand-holding tutorial where the different elements of the game are gradually introduced.

It plays like a Total War campaign with the addition of leveling with skill, attribute, and equipment upgrades as well as decisions as to which side to support as you progress through the campaign. It also has what appears to me to be a fairly substantial amount of Arthurian lore.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
i want the puzzle pack just for puzzle dimension dammit
As you should. Puzzle Dimension is fantastic and pretty much everything I enjoy in a puzzle game. Also helps me fight insomnia (in a good way).

gotee12

Played King Arthur for about an hour. Went through 4 seasons in the tutorial and played two custom 100,000 man matches against the PC. Had a pretty good time. Presentation is really good. VA/musical score is par for the course (neither fantastic nor horrible). Some of the textures are really nice, some not so nice. The tutorial could use some work though, lot's of "click the X icon and do Y" though it doesn't tell you what the icon looks like nor where it's located. The camera is lacking a "top down" view though you can rotate it any other way. Also, the font doesn't scale to your resolution and I can't find anywhere to change that. Lot's of squinting at tiny text since I use my 46" LCD for a monitor.

Even with the above complaints, I still had a lot of fun and it's quite worth the $5 imo...

slidewinder said:
I've played about an hour. It seems plenty accessible to me. The first bit of it is a fairly hand-holding tutorial where the different elements of the game are gradually introduced.
I felt the tutorial was a bit lacking. The game's not hard to figure out and maybe I have much farther to go in the tutorial since I've only finished through spring (2nd spring?). But I didn't feel like it was really giving me as much info about the controls and objectives (beyond "kill them") as I would've liked...

He's begged and begged. Finally gifted my oldest boy TF2 while snagging a copy of the overlord pack for him. He's happy and the rest of the holiday sale is all for me in my house.

Smash88

Banned
These past two days have been AWESOME!

Yesterday: Mass Effect 2 - $9.99

Today: NOTHING! HALLELJUAH!

I doubt there will be anything left as well, since most of what I wanted has been a daily deal and was just too expensive for my budget to purchase. For instance, Fallout NV is $25, I was hoping at least $9.99. :D One can only dream. Anyways, heres to many more days of not having to purchase games!

ALSO MERRY ALMOST-CHRISTMAS TO GAF AND EVERYONE (I'm looking at you lurkers)!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey steam ninja's, I know you are reading this, boy do I have an evil idea for you.

A Decaying Sale. Start the sale at a really high percent off at a random time in the day unannounced, like 75%-85% off. And every few minutes, the discount goes down. From 75 to 74 to 73, all the way till the end of the sale or to a certain percent off. Really give people a sense of urgency to buy it quick.

Marc :D

Neo Member
purvispisgah said:
ME2 is still $8 on Gamersgate, at least here in the US. I've never gifted anything on Gamersgate, so I don't know if you can use gifts to get around region restrictions like you can with Steam. I'd be down to give it a shot if you want to paypal me $8 though.

Thanks a bunch for the offer, but I'm trying to keep my collection on steam. Hopefully as they've done in the past, they will have all their best sellers on the last day of the sale.

Having bought Borderlands GOTY I have a few quick questions regarding some of the other games on sale.

Are the PC versions of GRAW 1 & 2 any good? I'd read they were relatively average compared to the earlier games. I ask as I'm considering skipping the GRAWs and just grabbing the first plus expansions for $5.

Aside from the better framerate \ sharper graphics is there really any significant gameplay difference for DMC4? I'd heard there could be more enemies on screen but I wasn't sure if there was any actual differences. I've already got the PS3 version so I'd probably skip this it's near identical.

Having bought Bad Company 2 does it differ enough from Battlefield 2 to warrant its purchase, or is BC2 simply better in every way? I was under the impression BC2 was built primarily as a console experience. Despite enjoying BF1942 I skipped its sequel on account of my addiction to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Lastly, Saints Row 2, is the performance issues as widespread as it seems. Not a big fan of the story but the variety in gameplay is enjoyable.

Any help regarding these would be greatly appreciated.

KuroNeeko

cicero said:
I have been waiting for these to be on sale too!

...and Bloodlines. >:|

Longest Journey and Dreamfall would be nice as well.

I'd settle for Bloodlines though.
Not holding my breath.

So, let's see...

Total damage 5 days in:

SMB: 3.75
Darksiders: 10
Blueberry Garden: .50
Overlord Pack: 3
Humble Indie Bundle 2: 20
Total: 37.25 for 17 games.

Not to shabby.

Concept17

SenorDingDong said:
Having bought Borderlands GOTY I have a few quick questions regarding some of the other games on sale.

Are the PC versions of GRAW 1 & 2 any good? I'd read they were relatively average compared to the earlier games. I ask as I'm considering skipping the GRAWs and just grabbing the first plus expansions for $5.

Aside from the better framerate \ sharper graphics is there really any significant gameplay difference for DMC4? I'd heard there could be more enemies on screen but I wasn't sure if there was any actual differences. I've already got the PS3 version so I'd probably skip this it's near identical.

Having bought Bad Company 2 does it differ enough from Battlefield 2 to warrant its purchase, or is BC2 simply better in every way? I was under the impression BC2 was built primarily as a console experience. Despite enjoying BF1942 I skipped its sequel on account of my addiction to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Lastly, Saints Row 2, is the performance issues as widespread as it seems. Not a big fan of the story but the variety in gameplay is enjoyable.

Any help regarding these would be greatly appreciated.

I've only played SR2 on PS3. It certainly doesn't run the greatest by any means, but the game is one of the funnest I've played this generation. Its worth the buy.

Ceebs

Concept17 said:
I've only played SR2 on PS3. It certainly doesn't run the greatest by any means, but the game is one of the funnest I've played this generation. Its worth the buy.
The PC version of SR2 is NOT worth a buy. It's an abysmal port that you will regret purchasing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
GAF, I need some guidance. I'm not just looking for an excuse to spend money.

I'm thinking about New Vegas because it's a great deal, but I also know that I won't play it any time soon. The fact is, I probably won't play it until February at the absolute earliest, but realistically I won't play it until the summer. Also, I will probably NEVER beat it. The game is just too damn long, and I don't have that kind of time. Especially if I have any chance of playing through Mass Effect.

So with that in mind, should I take the plunge at $30? I'm extremely bad with decisions. It's so tempting, but... I dunno... =(

Dacvak said:

I'm thinking about New Vegas because it's a great deal, but I also know that I won't play it any time soon. The fact is, I probably won't play it until February at the absolute earliest, but realistically I won't play it until the summer. Also, I will probably NEVER beat it. The game is just too damn long, and I don't have that kind of time. Especially if I have any chance of playing through Mass Effect.

So with that in mind, should I take the plunge at $30? I'm extremely bad with decisions. It's so tempting, but... I dunno... =(

My advice? Wait until it's $10 next year.

mavs

Dacvak said:

No. Don't buy games 3 months in advance. Sounds like you wouldn't really get to it until next Christmas anyway.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Well Fallout 3 is still $20+ this year, so that's not good advice.

Pretty sure FO3 has been on sale at $10 this year. Maybe even last year.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Alright, I'll pass. Regardless of the decision I make, I'll regret it. But at least this decision leaves an extra $30 in my bank account.

I'll counter this by purchasing the Warlord (or whatever it is) collection for 3 bucks.

Night GAF, and Merry Christmas.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Well Fallout 3 is still $20+ this year, so that's not good advice.
That's the GOTY with the DLC included though, if he's not getting around to it till next year it may end up being a lot cheaper for the vanilla version. Plus, cheap-ass disc copies can be Steamed!

Forkball

Sort of unrelated, but how long do the Amazon sales last? They have some good deals going on as well, but I'd rather have it on Steam if possible. It's also a good alternative for people who missed previous days sales.

vocab

Dacvak said:

Just wait till you are ready to play it. No reason to spend that much. I really want Arma 2, but I know there's a better price for it elsewhere, so I will wait till steam has that price.

Dacvak said:

If it's likely you won't play until the summer, just wait. Last summer Steam introduced the "Dog Days of Summer Sale" to complement the big holiday sale. I think it's a safe bet they'll be bringing that back, and it seems like another safe bet to say that New Vegas will feature in the sale for $30 or less.

So, unless you are looking for an excuse to spend money (as many of us are, when it gets right down to it), I say wait. $30 is not a must-buy price point for a game you won't play for six months.

edit: whoops, late. Sorry.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
echoshifting said:
If it's likely you won't play until the summer, just wait. Last summer Steam introduced the "Dog Days of Summer Sale" to complement the big holiday sale. I think it's a safe bet they'll be bringing that back, and it seems like another safe bet to say that New Vegas will feature in the sale for $30 or less.

So, unless you are looking for an excuse to spend money (as many of us are, when it gets right down to it), I say wait. $30 is not a must-buy price point for a game you won't play for six months.

edit: whoops, late. Sorry.
It will be like Fallout 3 or Borderlands. For the normal edition, you'll be seeing some 10$ price or cheaper, as long as you don't care for the extra DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dacvak said:

It may be cheaper in the not to distant future, but it really is a kick ass game. It's a better game than Fallout 3. It seems that opinions are evenly split when it comes to the Mojave vs. DC as a setting, but overall people seem to appreciate New Vegas as the much better game. I think it's probably, at least from what I've played, the greatest WRPG of the last few years. It's a much better RPG than Fallout 3 was and the factions (which make your choices have an impact), plus the hardcore mode and all the improved RPG aspects (many small upgrades, but significant) make it a much stronger game than FO:3. The bugginess is the biggest complaint, but it's worth it in the end. It's still a very immersive game like FO:3, you can lose hours just wandering the wastelands but at it's core it's a much more satisfying and deep game.

It deserves 50+ hours of your attention, though, and if you're busy or you have to beat other games you're better off saving it for when you can devote some time to it. I'd buy it now but I've already blown a lot of money on the sales and I know I can just wait for now.

I see you've already made your decision, but I guess I hit reply like 20 minutes ago. Oh well, anyone else on the fence should totally get it.

Akim

Banned
enzo_gt said:
What's burning the hole in your pocket is the blasphemy that is not owning TF2.

well, I want it, I just only have 5 dollars. I originally bought it on 360...and we all know how that turned out

John

enzo_gt said:
What's burning the hole in your pocket is the blasphemy that is not owning TF2.
dude my brother stuffs my pockets with blasphemy every fucking time i'm not in the room it drives me insane

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Is there any way to disable the Kotaku news stories that appear when I look at my games in Steam? I know it's a minor quibble but I'd rather not be subjected to them if I don't have to be.

Also, the age gates are annoying, I'm grown I don't need them.

Blablurn

fuck it, i bought the half life complete pack. i'm in china and i need something to play :lol

please dont go down to 4,99€

LiK

so many games i bought from steam i haven't played cuz my PC can't handle it. wish they were mac compatible too

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'll take Battlefield 2 if Nabs doesn't want it, if that's okay with you Aselith.

Edit: Too late I guess? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom