• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
Pop On Arrival said:
hmm, anyone know why Never Winter Nights 2 starts looking like shit when I'm running around? The framerate is fine, but whenever I run around, it just looks weird and choppy. Kinda unplayable, really.
try turning vsync on?

I managed to change the necessary information in the CFG file so that I can play Doom 3 on widescreen and it worked, but then it went back to 4:3. I've checked the file to see if it had the changes I applied, loaded the "mods" and nothing changed and I even went so far as to replace the CFG file with a notepad format that has all of the same information.

I can't replicate my original success with this thing and it's driving me crazy because I want to test out my newly downloaded Warband!

Edit:
I just managed to pull it off again. The widescreen went away when I tried to increase the AA to 16 because it changed the resolution so I guess I can't get 16AA while playing in widescreen resolution.

That is what I'm getting from this.

LCfiner

I just checked and of the 59 games in my Steam catalog, only a single one - Civ V - was bought at full price and was over 30 bucks. the rest were all from sales and ranged from 1 dollar to 25.

damn.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me why Geometry Wars dips below 60fps on my 5770? If I remember it ran at a rock solid 60fps on 360 where as here it's having very noticable dips into the 40s or so.

SolarPowered said:
I managed to change the necessary information in the CFG file so that I can play Doom 3 on widescreen and it worked, but then it went back to 4:3. I've checked the file to see if it had the changes I applied, loaded the "mods" and nothing changed and I even went so far as to replace the CFG file with a notepad format that has all of the same information.

I can't replicate my original success with this thing and it's driving me crazy because I want to test out my newly downloaded Warband!

Edit:
I just managed to pull it off again. The widescreen went away when I tried to increase the AA to 16 because it changed the resolution so I guess I can't get 16AA while playing in widescreen resolution.

Did you try changing the AA level from within the .cfg file? Like 'seta r_multisamples "16"'? If you try to apply changes from within the game menus then yeah, I think it's always going to reset your res to whatever is shown there.

SolarPowered said:

Edit:

Read only?

matmanx1

Gah, finally home from work and ready to purchase Crysis: Warhead and I can't get the Steam store to load up! I know they are getting hammered but Warhead is one of the last items on my list for this year and I was so ready to pull the trigger. Hopefully this will all be sorted out soon!

~Kinggi~

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Gah, finally home from work and ready to purchase Crysis: Warhead and I can't get the Steam store to load up! I know they are getting hammered but Warhead is one of the last items on my list for this year and I was so ready to pull the trigger. Hopefully this will all be sorted out soon!
steam store just took a shit for me too

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What is with these weak numbers? I am at 196!

I wanted to buy the Doom pack then say, "Wait, make it 20x" but it seems Steam's site just died D:

matmanx1

Ok, crysis (haha, see what I did there?) averted. Store is back up and Crysis: Warhead is purchased and ready for download. Best $5 I spent all day! :D

Zzoram

So far only bought Fallout New Vegas for $25 and Crysis for $7.50 since I already own Crysis Warhead. I don't think I'm getting anything else, I'll be hard pressed to finish these two games before next semester.

MrMephistoX

It would be lovely if they discounted Jade Empire SE. Can't find it anywhere but the pricetage of $14.95 is a little high.

So far:

Darksiders
RE 5
Fear Collection
KOTOR
Dead Rising 2
Super Meat Boy
and Bully have been worth it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PC Super Junk Steam Sale Roundup
Twin Sector: Incredibly poor man's Portal, which is odd because it costs more than Portal. Not recommended.

Exodus from the Earth: Terrible shooting, fucked difficulty balance (enemies take 2-3 shotgun blasts head on, you die in about 2 seconds of bullet fire on medium difficulty), one of the worst English translations I've ever played. May or may not play more than the 35 minutes I have so far. Not recommended. (IGN on the translation: "So I've discussed how the overused storyline and the cut-rate graphics affect the game's quality but I've left the worst for last. The game was originally released in Russian and the localization is possibly the worst I have ever seen. Seriously, it's as if the dev team didn't have money for a translator and decided to have their receptionist put all the game's text through a Babelfish translator. This not only makes the uncompelling story totally unintelligible at times, it makes objectives confusing as well. ")

Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death: Awful, 3 hours long, plot makes little to no sense if you're not an avid fan of the source material, level design is pretty dull although there are a few that don't totally suck. Law meter is a cool concept but not well executed. Terrible circa-Deus Ex 2 ragdolls + some of the worst character models I've ever seen in a polygon FPS. Not recommended.

Darkest of Days: Surprisingly good. Better than FPS games with a full 20 point higher metacritic average. Highly entertaining 5.5 hour ride. Time travel back in time and punch horses to death, rescue yourself from a WW2 POW camp, and use some bizarre hybrid MIRV-Grenade Launcher to blow up WW1 troops. Big recommendation, surprisingly.

hteng said:
spent around USD61 on 6 games, pretty decent deal so far

I've spent around the same on like 30 games :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stumpokapow said:
PC Super Junk Steam Sale Roundup
Darkest of Days: Surprisingly good. Better than FPS games with a full 20 point higher metacritic average. Highly entertaining 5.5 hour ride. Time travel back in time and punch horses to death, rescue yourself from a WW2 POW camp, and use some bizarre hybrid MIRV-Grenade Launcher to blow up WW1 troops. Big recommendation, surprisingly.

I've spent around the same on like 30 games :p
I liked it. Blatantly horrible in some places, but a fun ride.

Rufus

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what's the deal with global agenda and section 8? what type of games are they and how good/bad otherwise are they?
I can't answer the latter part of the question for either but what type of game? Read...sigh Just read the store page, OK?

slidewinder said:
Did you try changing the AA level from within the .cfg file? Like 'seta r_multisamples "16"'? If you try to apply changes from within the game menus then yeah, I think it's always going to reset your res to whatever is shown there.
I probably would've made that connection had I not started playing Warband. I'll make sure to update it to that instead so that I don't have to worry about missing the AA.

Thanks
I <3 Memes said:
Read only?
I don't think so. All I have to do is open it using notepad where I can change the necessary information. Then I exit and save when it prompts me. When I save it this way I get to edit the CFG file without any problems. No need for any extra CFG files or notepad files to clutter up the place.

Wallach

SolarPowered said:
I don't think so. All I have to do is open it using notepad where I can change the necessary information. Then I exit and save when it prompts me. When I save it this way I get to edit the CFG file without any problems. No need for any extra CFG files or notepad files to clutter up the place.

What he means is if you don't set it to read-only after you save your changes it may get reverted.

Grayman

SolarPowered said:

Edit:

that can't be right

try putting all the commands in a blank file and saving it as blah.cfg then exec it and vid_restart

kamspy

evil solrac v3.0 said:
what's the deal with global agenda and section 8? what type of games are they and how good/bad otherwise are they?

Global Agenda is a floaty TPS MMO. Section 8 is a dead MP only FPS that wasn't really outstanding to begin with.

Nothing to see here.

stuminus3

Guys, stop posting how many Steam games you have. No matter how large you think your collection is, you don't have as many games as Evilore has, and he has the ability and the right to ban us all for being mere plebs.

For example, I have 368 games (on Steam), which gives me a bigger dick than the previously mentioned dick. But it's a pittance in comparison to the above comment.

Joe Molotov

stuminus3 said:
Guys, stop posting how many Steam games you have. No matter how large you think your collection is, you don't have as many games as Evilore has, and he has the ability and the right to ban us all for being mere plebs.

Some of us do. ;)

Slow day for me just Crysis, I decided to skip King's Bounty after deciding I'd never get around to playing it.

Still holding out for TF2 for less than $5 and Fallout 1+2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rufus said:
Runs like shit on PCs, not sure if you would want it at any price. Last time I tried to play it, the frame rate was in the teens in open areas and the moment there were more than three people on the screen it got even worse. It's not optimized at all.
I played Gun 2ish years ago and it ran just fine on a PC from that time.

The real issue is that there is no widescreen in any way shape or form.

Game was fucking great though, 100%'d it.

IrishNinja

Zzoram said:
So far only bought Fallout New Vegas for $25

this was because you owned fallout 3, yeah? i asked a friend who has it to try gifting it, said it showed at $30 for him, presumably cause he has vanilla ed and not GOTY. any chance this sale will come back on the last day and allow for this? its only $5, sure, but it's a matter of goddamn principle :lol

Joe Molotov said:
Some of us do. ;)

this is entirely unfair. i look at some obscure-ass games (you can do this from stumpkapow's wishlist :D ) and i cant recall a single time not seeing "friends that own this title: VALIS, Joe Molotov"

x3sphere

IrishNinja said:
this was because you owned fallout 3, yeah? i asked a friend who has it to try gifting it, said it showed at $30 for him, presumably cause he has vanilla ed and not GOTY. any chance this sale will come back on the last day and allow for this? its only $5, sure, but it's a matter of goddamn principle :lol

Probably not.. there has been one round of deal rehashes so far and it did not include the holiday bonus.

Stallion Free said:

I'm sorry but that game was not great, or good, or even enjoyable. When it wasnt janky as hell it was boring as hell. And it is a game that ugliness betrays its age.

I just checked it's steam page and I cant believe they still want $20 for that pos. Saw the price and started scrolling down to the publisher link while saying to myself "I bet it's an Activisi ... yup it sure is"

Rufus

Stallion Free said:

I don't remember whether that was on my older setup or not. Maybe I'll dig it up again to check, if I can remember where the disc is...

That too. Rebel.fm interviewed one of the Neversoft guys following their Game Club on it. I think he said it was this or no PC version at all.

Yup, I played it on the 360 and went out of my way to do all side missions. Made me look for more western themed games as well. :D

Repost.
Goddamn. I was convinced that I could wait to get a decent video card until around March when I get a good bit of extra cash (I'm not a hardcore PC gamer; I only dabble in it when my console gaming gets a little stale, like at the end of its life cycle), but buying Crysis today has me wanting one NOW! My computer meets the minimum specs, but it just BARELY runs the damn thing. And the framerate is so inconsistent that I just had to shut it off. I wish minimum requirements meant that you could run the game with a consistent 30 fps with the lowest settings, not just barely able to run the program.

Thanks, Steam. Thanks for making me have to spend more of my money to play the games you sell so dirt cheap. :(

Any suggestions on a okay card for between $100-150? Preferably ATI.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any reason you need AMD? At that price I'd probably be recommending a GTX 460 1GB.

If you're going AMD, then scratch together a bit more and get a 6850.

BTW wasnt there supposed to be some free DLC for Mass Effect 2 like the Zaeed character? How do I download that stuff? I signed in to the cerberus network thing but it didnt offer me the chance to download anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom