• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agate

Neo Member
Is the Doom Complete pack worth it??

I have never wasted so much money consecutively on Steam before..this is great haha.

Grayman

Agate said:

I have never wasted so much money consecutively on Steam before..this is great haha.
DOOM and DOOM 2 are two of the greatest games of all time. Not only do they hold up today with sourceports like zdoom but they play differently than anything "modern". Serious Sam and Painkiller do not have level design to go with their monster shooting.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
toasty_T said:
Bought Crysis Warhead. I'm pondering buying the original for convenience purposes but I'm pushing the limit of my budget.

Stupid irresistible convenience :(

also lol at both Crysis games being $3.74 on the AU store. Almost makes up for $90 Fallout New Vegas :lol
Buy both. It's worth it.

Plus Crysis is the game that gets all the mods and stuff from the community.

Agate said:

As others have said, run Doom 1/2 through zdoom and enjoy some of the best FPS ever.

SalsaShark said:
Its only worth it for Doom 3 IMO, wich weirdly isnt cheaper

Lets face it, you probably wont play the first 2 Dooms..
Not sure what you saw in Doom 3 over Doom1/2. Personally thought it was fucking garbage with its linear map design, monster closets, enemies spawning behind you, horrible sound design, and System Shock-lite gameplay.

x3sphere

Jokey665 said:
I just did the math... I've spent over 250 dollars on this fucking sale already. FUCK :lol

I spent like $350 last year. Trying to keep it under $100 this time around, but it's tough..

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i want to buy the crysis pack, but i've already downloaded about 30 gigs in games over the last five days thanks to Steam. stupid SSD and its limited space!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
scorcho said:
i want to buy the crysis pack, but i've already downloaded about 30 gigs in games over the last five days thanks to Steam. stupid SSD and its limited space!
Buy it, play it later. One of the best shooters period.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Do you guys think that the steam sales are responsive to user request like on gaf or if they're set in stone weeks before the sale.

Forkball

Jangaroo said:
It's pretty god damn hectic. Imagine charging with your companions on horseback across a bridge towards a village where the opponents lie in wait at the other side. You have arrows whizzing by you until you're forced to raise your shield to cover as much of yourself as you can. You see a player to your right falling down, with a few arrows sticking out of his chest. Suddenly, you hit the dirt. Your horse succumbed to it's wounds. You stand up, getting your bearings. Suddenly, an opponent ambushes you from around a hut. He tries to spear you but he misses. You flank him and make a move. The opponent falls. Suddenly, two more opponents appear from around the hill. They start to give chase, flinging spears at you. You run as fast as you can and one spear nicks you in the leg. You're an inch from death. You turn around, ready to make a last stand. But wait? What's that? You hear a horse galloping towards your direction. Your ally came to aid you in your time of crisis. With a swift jab of his spear he impales one of your foes. He turns around and gallops towards the other. But the opponent was ready for him and with a precise strike managed to hit your ally's horse. He falls off with a loud thud onto the ground. Seeing him in danger, despite you being so wounded, you rush towards your foe and swipe at him before he gets to finish off your fallen ally. Now rinse and repeat. And this doesn't even take into account the sieging castle gametypes.

There's team deathmatch. It's a pretty team based game. You won't find yourself oneshotting everyone unless you're really high geared.

Goddamn, this makes me want to buy it. Is the community active? Ugh, I have so many games to play though. I haven't even touched Blue Toad Murder Files. Stop being so enticing, Steam deals!

Erebus

Probably not the best thread to ask this but how do I force Steam to run the 64bit version of Crysis Warhead? I can run the 64bit version from the game's directory fine but all the shortcuts point to the 32bit executable.

kamspy

DarkUSS said:
Probably not the best thread to ask this but how do I force Steam to run the 64bit version of Crysis Warhead? I can run the 64bit version from the game's directory fine but all the shortcuts point to the 32bit executable.

There is no 64 bit Crysis on Steam. You only get the 32.

It's not a big deal. I own the disc and the Steam copy. Never use the disc anymore. You're not missing anything. In fact, x86 Crysis is a lot more stable in my experience.

People will still freak out over this if they didn't know about it though.

Erebus

kamspy said:
There is no 64 bit Crysis on Steam. You only get the 32.

It's not a big deal. I own the disc and the Steam copy. Never use the disc anymore. You're not missing anything. In fact, x86 Crysis is a lot more stable in my experience.

People will still freak out over this if they didn't know about it though.
Crysis Warhead comes with both 32bit and 64bit binaries on Steam. You're correct on the original Crysis though.

Weenerz

Banned
scorcho said:

Just buy it and download it later.

Code:
€
Winterbottom	0,39
Super Meat Boy	3,50
Freedom Force 2	1,35
Caster	        0,89
Bully	        2,50
Crysis Complete	4,99
SimCity 4	2,49
Global Agenda	6,24
[B]Damage         22,35
Per game        2,79[/B]
Have tried the first five so far and would say that the top three have definitely been worth it.

Caster is the least good, but it's so little money it might as well have been free. I played it for 20 minutes and didn't hurt myself mentally or physically. So buy it, or don't. Either way you will remain unaffected.

Bully is (or was) worth it if you're gonna bother putting any time into it. Was pretty good on PS2 and thought "why not?". Turns out the answer to that question is because I've already played through the first half of it and the deja vu is irking me.

trinest

There are other things I would of picked up today but not going to after paying $20 for Cities XL- so I just picked up Sim City- and probably just see if Amesia goes cheap this sale and thats about it now.

scorcho said:

It's the best package of games in the sale so far, you dont miss out on that. Especially if you have never played Crysis before.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Crysis has problems with Win7x64? Something about a game-ending bug in the third act or something like that? Am I misremembering?

scorcho said:
this i hadn't considered. money spent!

17 gigs! holy mother.

BTW, don't download Crysis Wars. It's the multi-player component of the Crysis games but its not very good and almost nobody plays it. Maybe that is part of the 17 gigs? Maybe not. Some of the levels in Crysis are gigantic.

faceless007 said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Crysis has problems with Win7x64? Something about a game-ending bug in the third act or something like that? Am I misremembering?

There is a bug of some kind. Cant remember if it happens all of the time or exactly what the bug is. All you have to do is switch from DX10 to DX9.

ashbash159 said:
Crysis is nearly finished downloading and I would like to know you guys opinions on settings for it.

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB. 4 GB RAM. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5 GHz.

I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor but don't mind playing at 1280 x 720 (is that 720p) unless you guys say I can run at 1080p. You could also recommend any other 16:9 resolution. I would like it to run at at least 40 frames per second for my taste of smoothness.

You should be able to get away with playing in 1080p.

I'd say:

-keep it all on high..
-except for shadows and volumetrics, set these to medium.
-go into the post processing config file and add this line (without "s), "r_sunshafts=1" to all settings
-enable triple buffering
-use 2xAA and 8xAF if you feel you can get away with it

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I <3 Memes said:
BTW, don't download Crysis Wars. It's the multi-player component of the Crysis games but its not very good and almost nobody plays it. Maybe that is part of the 17 gigs? Maybe not. Some of the levels in Crysis are gigantic.
thanks for the tip. Crysis and its expansion pack are 12gb, which is a bit more manageable.

Double D

Ok, so I had moved some steam games to my external hard drive when I installed Win7. I moved Stalker, for example, back into the appropriate steam folder. I restarted steam thinking my list would refresh and when I selected Stalker, it would say 'Play' instead of 'Install', but nothing changed. Is this possible to do?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vik_Vaughn said:
Ok, so I had moved some steam games to my external hard drive when I installed Win7. I moved Stalker, for example, back into the appropriate steam folder. I restarted steam thinking my list would refresh and when I selected Stalker, it would say 'Play' instead of 'Install', but nothing changed. Is this possible to do?
Its better to use Steams "backup game files" to your external drive, and then use the "restore backup" function when you want them back.

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
I think you would need to have also backed up the game's GCF/NCF file(s) from the steamapps directory. Otherwise you can just try to install STALKER, and see if it's smart enough to only download a few files instead of redownloading the whole thing.

Recon

Banned
Hey guys, need some help. I bought Battlefield 2 Complete pack during the sale, and everytime i try to join a server, it says invalid key...this is incredibly frustrating. Ive tried several different suggestions, but wondered if anyone on here had that problem.

Blablurn

wait, i finished downloading HL2: Episode 2 two days ago. just played it a bit to see if its running. and now i have to download another 7GB..

1v6ut.jpg

steam says its an update. last time i had the same problem with episode 1. i downloaded the whole thing again and suddenly the language was changed from german to englisch when i started it. what the fuck?

what to do, what to do?

scorcho said:
thanks for the tip. Crysis and its expansion pack are 12gb, which is a bit more manageable.

Good news! Crysis Warhead isnt an expansion pack. It is a stand alone product that is by itself longer than most modern FPS. It is a really awesome game, just not as open as Crysis.

Agate

Neo Member
Thanks you guys (Grayman, viewtifulsub), going to get some Doom goodness in!

I remember beating Doom 3 a long time ago on the Xbox, I'd probably jump into RoE if anything. I don't hate Doom 3 by any means..but for some reason the older Dooms always hold my sense of terror..ever since I've played the first one as a kid.

LCfiner

59 Steam games. I only started using the service in May of this year when it hit the Mac (my main platform).

but only 20 of those games are mac compatible. the rest i run on PC.

Alucrid

Banned
Heh. I bought BF:BC2 and the FEAR pack, then I looked at all the games I bought last year...then I looked at all the game I bought the year before that...then I saw how many I finished (1)...then I realized I have to stop.

jediyoshi

Probably going to bite on Crysis a little later. Any mods I should be on the lookout for? I've come to the realization that outside of ModDB, most mod sites have awful navigation :|

Weenerz

Banned
Just got home from work, my damage for today :D

Rush
Dirt 2
SimCity 4
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
King's Bounty pack (have heard good things, better not let me down GAF!)

Holy shitballs its 45gb lol. Guess I shouldn't download them all at once.

hmm, anyone know why Never Winter Nights 2 starts looking like shit when I'm running around? The framerate is fine, but whenever I run around, it just looks weird and choppy. Kinda unplayable, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom