• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

ghst said:
there's also aa 18th century mod that is populated by frantic neck-beards attempting to coerce people into having historically accurate rank-and-file firefights instead of chasing each other round a tree with bayonets.

That sounds awesome if only for the novelty.

IrishNinja

scorcho said:
moving my steam install to a separate partition was very, very easy. thank you Gabe!

just got steam mover, do i have to install games to the current (dwindling) partition? id like to leave things there and just start installing new games to the new one, havent sorted that out yet though.

still never heard back about SimCity 4 for someone who loved/hasnt played the series since SNES, and all i could find on wiki was:

GameSpy gave the game a score of 75/100, commenting that SimCity 4 is "graphically stunning"; the review also criticized the game for having issues "that will likely kill the game for casual players" including performance and difficulty.

so i guess that's my answer, unless anyone's got input here?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
IrishNinja said:
just got steam mover, do i have to install games to the current (dwindling) partition? id like to leave things there and just start installing new games to the new one, havent sorted that out yet though.

still never heard back about SimCity 4 for someone who loved/hasnt played the series since SNES, and all i could find on wiki was:

so i guess that's my answer, unless anyone's got input here?

SC4 is fantastic. At that price? dude. Limitless game time hours

Stallion Free said:
Meh, not good enough of an excuse.

If you want to use playtime in judging who is a 'true' PC gamer as you have in the past, what is the qualifying mark? Because there are a hell of a lot of folks who have and do play more than you.

I can't claim it right this second but thanks for Rush, Domino. That was random. :D

LovingSteam said:
Any Euro's here that would gift me Section 8 if I paypal you the cash?
I need a Euro to do the same for me, with a few games.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanksgiving & Christmas Total
Bold = Wanted so bad
Italics = Had no intention to buy

Civilization IV Complete $6.25
F.E.A.R. 1 & 2 Complete Pack $10
Flight Control HD $2.50
Indie Story Pack $5
-Recettear
-Puzzle Agent
-Jolly Rover
Mirror's Edge $5
M&B Warband $7.50
P.B. Winterbottom $0.50

Puzzle Quest 1 $1.50
Puzzle Quest 2 $3.50

RUSH $1.70
Sid Meier's Pirates! $2.50
Silent Hunter 4 $6.80
Super Meat Boy $3.75
Spliner Cell: Chaos Theory $5

That's 17 games, with 7 expansions in there.
Total: 61.50 -- The price of a single new game these days.

My whole wishlist considered, the only thing I might add is Mini Ninjas or The Longest Journey/Dreamfall pack if one of them goes to $5, but I don't think it'll happen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ghst said:
there's also aa 18th century mod that is populated by frantic neck-beards attempting to coerce people into having historically accurate rank-and-file firefights instead of chasing each other round a tree with bayonets.
MM Prussia, Seen it, but haven't given it a try yet. It's the other semi popular one.

But the Bayonet chasing sounds mighty fun.

Oh also, bit more advice. Read the forums, you go there to download cRPG and they give you plenty of builds, info, etc. 2nd, don't act like a wanker when on cRPG servers. Plenty of mods play and it's similar to Gaf. Bans are handed out daily because of it. Don't do random polls, don't TK even if someone else is doing it, etc. You'll get banned. They have an entire thread dedicated to people begging for unbannings where they act a fool and got slapped around because of it.

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, Warband is up there with Die by the Sword when it comes to melee combat.
You got your 4 way directional attack and defense. Low, Right, Left, High, and Center. It's very simple to understand, but difficult to master. Once you figure out how to start parrying, the game really opens up. Because then you start to get your one two combos, figuring out how to lance properly, getting the projection of arrows right to kill that one fool with their head poking out. And you feel like your in control of the character the entire time, unless most titles where you press X Y X and you are suddenly doing this massive combo. The simplicity and ground-ness of the title makes for this to be one of the best experiences I've had on PC this decade.

LovingSteam said:
If you want to use playtime in judging who is a 'true' PC gamer as you have in the past, what is the qualifying mark? Because there are a hell of a lot of folks who have and do play more than you.

Plus, I'm not saying it's true in Valis' case but, I double dip a lot on games and so I've already played/beaten them with my disk version but will pay $5 to retire the disks and have the ease of downloading them instead.

IrishNinja

Relix said:
SC4 is fantastic. At that price? dude. Limitless game time hours

right, but...is shit mad complicated? i liked it 2D when i was just making squares, i dont mind amping that up a bit, its just i played the shit out of it in the day as a causal, wondering if i'd be put off by this one, and i dont see a demo.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
Meh, not good enough of an excuse.
He plays his games in offline mode? I don't know, I know at the very least if the Overlay doesn't turn on, it doesn't track time.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Plus, I'm not saying it's true in Valis' case but, I double dip a lot on games and so I've already played/beaten them with my disk version but will pay $5 to retire the disks and have the ease of downloading them instead.

True. I just think the whole 'heh, he has hardly played his games, he's not a true gamer' argument is just ridiculous.

Not saying it's what he does, but I do a lot of gaming offline. There are at least ten games it says I haven't touched when I've played them for at least ten hours each.

Salsa

LovingSteam said:
True. I just think the whole 'heh, he has hardly played his games, he's not a true gamer' argument is just ridiculous.

Hey, i personally never said that. I just think the guy has the steam fever, he should make some time to play some of the stuff he buys.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CHAAARRRGGGEEEE!

mb_warband2010-12-2900xz9f.jpg

Pincushion

mb_warband2010-12-2900hbny.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Heh, I never said he was less of a gamer, it's just that when you are buying that many games and playing that little, it's clearly like hoarding.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Drkirby said:
To be a bit fair, Steam didn't start tracking till March 2009.
Plus for some games you can launch the executable directly without having to go through Steam at all (i.e. Alpha Protocol), which wouldn't be tracked either.

Wallach said:
Crysis isn't a step back at all, really. Lots of folks prefer Crysis to Warhead. Definitely get it if you haven't played it and liked Warhead at all.
Awesome thx. I picked up Warhead months ago when I got my new rig and dug it, but haven't played the original yet.

Maddness

Saved on today's sale.

But still days to go and I know I'll end up buying at least 1 more game. It's such an addiction. Some are even double dips.

After this sale I'm taking a long break from purchasing games. My backlog extends all the way back to my PS2 catalog. I just have too many games that I picked up and then skipped to play other games that I need to do some serious soul searching and catch up.

Here's to the end of this awesome sale and a few months of nothing but finishing the games I own but haven't touched!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
IrishNinja said:
followed the very simple instructions here - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

to maintain your system, you might have to deal with steam mover to individually move games to a different location.

Not only did the last page or so of posts convince me to purchase Mount & Blade Warband, it encouraged me to do so with such haste that I failed to realize that the complete pack is just a waste of $2.50 when M&B Warband contains the complete original anyway.

God dammit GAF. :lol

Fun game though. I looked at it a bit when today's sale went up but passed on it rather quickly. Having now played with the demo a bit, I'm glad this thread convinced me to give it another chance.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So lets see how I have done since the start of the Black Friday Sales:

From what I acctually bought recently (Gotten a few gifts too)

$8.74: Doom Pack
- Final Doom
- The Ultimate Doom
- Doom 2
- Master Levels OF Doom 2
- Doom 3
- Doom 3 Reserection of Evils
$2.75: Section 8
$31.21:
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Crysis Complete (NA)
- Crysis
- Crysis Warhead
King's Bounty: Collection
- King's Bounty: Armored Princess
- King's Bounty: Crossworlds
- King's Bounty: The Legend
Mount and Blade: Warband
$3.00: Victoria
$14.98: Mirror's Edge, Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
$12.99:
Ghost Recon Pack
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Desert Siege
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Island Thunder
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Overlord Complete Pack
- Overlord
- Overlord: Raising Hell
- Overlord 2
$17.38: Mass Effect, Darksiders
$9.00: Wings of Prey, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
$11.50: Puzzle Quest, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
$9.98:
Titan Quest Gold
Indie Future Pack
- Hacker Evolution
- Hammerfight
- System Protocall One
- Twin Sector
$2.49: F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
$20.45: Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia, Magnetis, LEGO Batman
$24.99: Sid Meier's Civilization V Retail
$9.50: Killing Floor Bundle
$4.99: Magic the Gathering: Planeswalkers
$2.50: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
$4.49: Rush
$9.99: Super Meat Boy
$27.48: Peggle Deluxe, Star Wars: KOTOR, Metro 2033 All Languages, Dirt 2
Indie Air Pack
- Flotilla
- Gratuitous Space Battles
- Plain Sight
$15.19: Street Fighter IV
Indie Puzzle Pack
- Cogs
- Droplitz
- Puzzle Dimension
- Shatter
- Tidalis
$7.49: Lara Croft GOL
$4.99:
Indie Pulse Pack
- Beat Hazard
- Bit.Trip Beat
- The Polynomial
- Rhythm Zone
$7.50: Tropico 3 Gold
$5.00: Machinarium
$4.99:
Indie Clever Pack
- Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
- Iron Grip: Warlord
- VVVVVV
$5.00: Kane and Lynch 2 - Dog Days
$4.99: Indie Story Pack
- And Yet It Moves
- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
- Jolly Rover
$7.50: Alpha Protocol
$4.99: Indie Energy Pack
- Brainpipe
- Gridrunner Revolution
- ProtoGalaxy
- Quantz
$3.47: Red Faction Guerrilla
$1.68: Osmos
$7.51: Just Cause 2
$3.50 Puzzle Quest 2

GRAND TOTAL:
$312.21 over 35 Days for a total of 87 Games, coming $3.59 per game on Average per game, $8.92 per day. Youch.

Tesseract

Banned
i bought the humble indie bundle 1 and 2, super meat boy, penumbra black plague gold edition (to complete the trilogy), civ iv: the complete edition, and amnesia: the dark descent. yep, i'm set for 2011, possibly 12.

Wallach

Was Penumbra already up on a daily sale? I totally missed it if so. I've been meaning to get Black Plague because I got Overture in the Humble Bundle #1 and don't want to play it until I play the first game. :lol

vocab

Wallach said:
Was Penumbra already up on a daily sale? I totally missed it if so. I've been meaning to get Black Plague because I got Overture in the Humble Bundle #1 and don't want to play it until I play the first game. :lol

Overture is the first game....

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
metsallica said:
Anyone bite on RUSH? I loved TokiTori, but not sure about this one. Does seem like ChuChu Rocket, always a plus, but can't pull the trigger. Made it through this sale unscathed so far, afraid this purchase will open the floodgates...

It is a good puzzle game. You lay down icons on the ground for blocks to follow. Gets rather intriguingly difficult pretty early. And I really like the looks. Definitely didnt regret the 1$ purchase.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Drkirby said:
So lets see how I have done since the start of the Black Friday Sales:

From what I acctually bought recently (Gotten a few gifts too)

$8.74: Doom Pack
- Final Doom
- The Ultimate Doom
- Doom 2
- Master Levels OF Doom 2
- Doom 3
- Doom 3 Reserection of Evils
$2.75: Section 8
$31.21:
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Crysis Complete (NA)
- Crysis
- Crysis Warhead
King's Bounty: Collection
- King's Bounty: Armored Princess
- King's Bounty: Crossworlds
- King's Bounty: The Legend
Mount and Blade: Warband
$3.00: Victoria
$14.98: Mirror's Edge, Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
$12.99:
Ghost Recon Pack
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Desert Siege
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Island Thunder
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Overlord Complete Pack
- Overlord
- Overlord: Raising Hell
- Overlord 2
$17.38: Mass Effect, Darksiders
$9.00: Wings of Prey, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
$11.50: Puzzle Quest, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
$9.98:
Titan Quest Gold
Indie Future Pack
- Hacker Evolution
- Hammerfight
- System Protocall One
- Twin Sector
$2.49: F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
$20.45: Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia, Magnetis, LEGO Batman
$24.99: Sid Meier's Civilization V Retail
$9.50: Killing Floor Bundle
$4.99: Magic the Gathering: Planeswalkers
$2.50: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
$4.49: Rush
$9.99: Super Meat Boy
$27.48: Peggle Deluxe, Star Wars: KOTOR, Metro 2033 All Languages, Dirt 2
Indie Air Pack
- Flotilla
- Gratuitous Space Battles
- Plain Sight
$15.19: Street Fighter IV
Indie Puzzle Pack
- Cogs
- Droplitz
- Puzzle Dimension
- Shatter
- Tidalis
$7.49: Lara Croft GOL
$4.99:
Indie Pulse Pack
- Beat Hazard
- Bit.Trip Beat
- The Polynomial
- Rhythm Zone
$7.50: Tropico 3 Gold
$5.00: Machinarium
$4.99:
Indie Clever Pack
- Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
- Iron Grip: Warlord
- VVVVVV
$5.00: Kane and Lynch 2 - Dog Days
$4.99: Indie Story Pack
- And Yet It Moves
- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
- Jolly Rover
$7.50: Alpha Protocol
$4.99: Indie Energy Pack
- Brainpipe
- Gridrunner Revolution
- ProtoGalaxy
- Quantz
$3.47: Red Faction Guerrilla
$1.68: Osmos
$7.51: Just Cause 2
$3.50 Puzzle Quest 2

GRAND TOTAL:
$312.21 over 35 Days for a total of 87 Games, coming $3.59 per game on Average per game, $8.92 per day. Youch.

My take so far starting with the black friday sale:

indie story pack 4.99
deathspank 10.04
arma II combined ops 22.49
lara croft GOL 7.49
king's bounty crossworlds 5.00
indie puzzle pack 4.99
swords and soldiers HD 7.99
chime 1.25
poker night 2.99
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! 2.50
bob came in pieces 2.50
monday night combat 13.49
flight control HD 2.49
ai war: children of neinzul 1.99
indie 2d pack 4.99
indie fantasy pack 4.99
titan quest gold 4.99
oddbox 12.49
pop forgotten sands 4.99
pop 2008 4.99
toki tori 1.25
indie fright pack 4.99
shattered union 0.49
majesty 2 kingmaker 4.99
burnout paradise 5.00
witcher 5.00
iron grip warlord 2.50
assassin's creed II 12.00
darksiders 10.00
battlefield 2 4.99
overlord 0.75
overlord raising hell 1.50
king arthur pack 5.39
x3 terran conflict 6.80
shank 7.49
flaout ultimate carnage 2.00
splinter cell conviction delue 17.49
splinter cell chaos theory 4.99
ufo extraterrestrials gold 4.99
global agenda 7.50
machinarium 2.99
neverwinter 2 plat 9.99

Total: 250.73

Not too bad so far.

Cmagus

Picked up Street Fighter IV tonight down to $20.00 so I jumped in.did ok picked up Call of Duty Black Ops, Mafia 2 and Street Fighter IV so I have some games to play for awhile.

IrishNinja

scorcho said:
to maintain your system, you might have to deal with steam mover to individually move games to a different location.

@ that: i just used steam mover to toss alpha protocol over to the larger partition, right? but now, it's still in the C drive folder (steamapps > common) at 11.1 GB or so, but with a shortcut icon on it. can i safely delete it from said drive? everything moved ok, just wanna make sure its pointing correctly.

IrishNinja

YYZ said:
Hey IrishNinja, congrats on post 10000!

i didn't even notice - yay me! :D

i bought the fright pack for Void and The Path, the others look like bonuses to me. i wish flight pack had more for me than just Everyday Shooter, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom