• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wallach said:
What he means is if you don't set it to read-only after you save your changes it may get reverted.
Ah, I see. I haven't set it to read only, but I think I'll be okay without it. I just loaded the game up along with the mod and I get perfect widescreen. I'll use the same method to see what I can get for the AA next.

Thanks for the little nugget of wisdom.
Grayman said:
that can't be right

try putting all the commands in a blank file and saving it as blah.cfg then exec it and vid_restart
Yeah, I think I've actually got the hang of this now.

It's just a matter of making sure that the changes in the CFG are saved and that the system video options are not tinkered with(in game at least).

Thanks

lordy88

The Entire Doom collection for 8.74!?!?!?

TAKE MY MONEY NOW STEAM.

Let's see how this week has treated me thusly:

Humble Bundle 1 + 2: $7 (I gave em $5 for #2, then they gave me #1 free, so I gave them another $2)
Defense Grid: $2
Puzzle Quest: $1.50
The Secret Of Monkey Island: $3.75
Mirror's Edge: $5
Doom Pack: $8.75

Total: $28 for a shit ton of fun (21 games total)! Sooooo worth it :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I <3 Memes said:
BTW wasnt there supposed to be some free DLC for Mass Effect 2 like the Zaeed character? How do I download that stuff? I signed in to the cerberus network thing but it didnt offer me the chance to download anything.
Have you tried the BioWare Social? Specifically the User Entitlements page.

Truespeed

stuminus3 said:
Guys, stop posting how many Steam games you have. No matter how large you think your collection is, you don't have as many games as Evilore has, and he has the ability and the right to ban us all for being mere plebs.

For example, I have 368 games (on Steam), which gives me a bigger dick than the previously mentioned dick. But it's a pittance in comparison to the above comment.

Looks like he has around 424. You're not too far behind. If you purchased all 11 of those Indie packs for $55 you would be at 423 :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Normal Final Doom:
30siwqv.jpg

ZDoom:
dw4emp.jpg

There is nothing unfair about these comparison shots

Dizzy-4U

I <3 Memes said:
BTW wasnt there supposed to be some free DLC for Mass Effect 2 like the Zaeed character? How do I download that stuff? I signed in to the cerberus network thing but it didnt offer me the chance to download anything.
If you already have a Bioware Social Network account, you need to punch in the cd-key so you register the game.

After you do that, you go to Profile -> Your registered game promotions

There you have all the dlc you bought and the cerberus ones (like Zeed). Download, install and start the game.

REV 09

damn Crysis is impressive. I finished the first level...if you could call it a level. So far i've only purchased the Crysis bundle and The Witcher from the steam sales.

$15 total cost...not bad.

Wallach

Classic_Gs said:
Is Crysis worth getting if I enjoyed Warhead, or is it too much of a step back (gameplay wise)?

Crysis isn't a step back at all, really. Lots of folks prefer Crysis to Warhead. Definitely get it if you haven't played it and liked Warhead at all.

commissar

I played a bit of Warhead and hated the aliens, and I know I can always borrow the Crysis disc off a friend if I *really* want to try it out, but still steam tempts me :S

Killthee said:
Have you tried the BioWare Social? Specifically the User Entitlements page.

Dizzy-4U said:
If you already have a Bioware Social Network account, you need to punch in the cd-key so you register the game.
After you do that, you go to Profile -> Your registered game promotions
There you have all the dlc you bought and the cerberus ones (like Zeed). Download, install and start the game.

Thanks to both of you. I had already created an account for the Bioware social network and had already registered the game but I couldn't find where to download the content from.

I know it's not that difficult to find and download this stuff, but it is way more difficult then it should be. Just let download it through the games menu. Reminds me of the 10 hoops you have to jump through to get GTA4 up and running.

TheExodu5 said:
Any reason you need AMD? At that price I'd probably be recommending a GTX 460 1GB.

If you're going AMD, then scratch together a bit more and get a 6850.
I just haven't had as much luck with Nvidia personally. I trust and am more comfortable with AMD.

And I won't be playing above 1080p, so I don't need overwhelming power. As long as I can run Crysis at a consistent rate on High I think I'll be good.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is section 8 any good? I thought I remember hearing it's not very good...
It's actually pretty good. Has a lot of nice things going for it, but the lack of community hurts similar to SH.

Crysis finally downloaded for me and just want to say, holy crap, these graphics are insane! The pics do not do this game justice. In motion, the game looks incredible. Even after 3 years, it may very well still be the best looking game. I have Metro also and I like the graphics in Crysis better than Metro. Honestly, I think Metro's graphics are way overrated. Anyway, back to playing more Crysis. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Lost Horizon seems like a great adventure, reminds me a lot of Dynamix's Heart of China. But it's weird that it didn't go to $5 like the Amazon sale did...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Everybody needs to go buy M&B Warband right now. It's the best multiplayer game you've never played. It's just... god damn is it fun. Castle Sieges are incredible, it's just so good. I have nothing coherent to say so I'm just gushing, but who cares, you need to own this amazingness now.

mb_warband2010-12-282295zh.jpg

mb_warband2010-12-2823euru.jpg

Javaman

I almost passed on section 8 but I'm glad I didn't. It plays a bit like tribes mixed with BF1942 and although the community is pretty much dead it's got bots, something that's been sorely missing with the newer BF games.

iSimon

Sinatar said:
Everybody needs to go buy M&B Warband right now. It's the best multiplayer game you've never played. It's just... god damn is it fun. Castle Sieges are incredible, it's just so good. I have nothing coherent to say so I'm just gushing, but who cares, you need to own this amazingness now.
Fuck you.
Bought.

Cipherr

kai3345 said:
So is Warband just the multiplayer?

I played the Sp demo and hated it, but that multiplayer looks fun as hell.

Shit Im going to check out the price, that actually does look fun. Id like to see it in motion.

Edit: Wow thats some old school DAoC looking ish without the trolls and kobolds :lol :lol :lol goddamn

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well just shelled out more money for Crysis pack, Mount & Blade pack, and just giggles got Section 8. Damn you Gabe I need to save some money, why must you tempt a weak person as myself :(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sinatar said:
I've seen enough about this being one of the top games of the year. It's always good to hear that when it is a sleeper.

However, I have a couple questions:

1) The demo was kind of a pain from the billion buttons to use. Can you use a 360 controller to handle primary battle actions?

2) Do you have to play single player to become strong or can you just do everything online?

Sinatar

Relix said:
Sinatar... please speak more about W&B. I might be compelled to buy it =P

Otay!

kai3345 said:

It has the first games full single player content, with some more stuff and rebalancing. It also has the multiplayer which is fantastic.

So to give a rundown. You join a server, pick a side (if in siege mode you have your attackers and defenders). You choose from one of 3 classes (Archer, Footsoldier, Mounted Soldier). You then get a starting amount of gold to spend on your starting gear (Helm, Chest, Gloves, Boots, Weapons, Shield, Ammo, Mount) and you get to the killing. When sieging a castle, there are generally a couple of choke points to get in and some triggerable events like siege ladders or siege towers that can be deployed. In the rear of the castle is a flag, if the attackers can get to the flag and capture it (battlefield style, stand near it and let it sink) then they win the siege. You get gold for kills which you can spend on new stuff. Gear lasts for the map but not past that, think more Counterstrike less CoD.

A shot of me picking people off of their siege ladder & tower.

mb_warband2010-12-2822d50g.jpg

kai3345 said:
I dont need Mount and Blade to play Warband do I?

No. Warband is stand alone.

Dice said:
I've seen enough about this being one of the top games of the year. It's always good to hear that when it is a sleeper.

However, I have a couple questions:

1) The demo was kind of a pain from the billion buttons to use. Can you use a 360 controller to handle primary battle actions?

2) Do you have to play single player to become strong or can you just do everything online?

1.) I'm not sure about the controller but all you need is WASD and the 2 mouse buttons. Not overly complex.

2.) No. The single player and multiplayer are completely separate from one another.

kai3345

Banned
Sinatar said:
It has the first games full single player content, with some more stuff and rebalancing. It also has the multiplayer which is fantastic.

So to give a rundown. You join a server, pick a side (if in siege mode you have your attackers and defenders). You choose from one of 3 classes (Archer, Footsoldier, Mounted Soldier). You then get a starting amount of gold to spend on your starting gear (Helm, Chest, Gloves, Boots, Weapons, Shield, Ammo, Mount) and you get to the killing. When sieging a castle, there are generally a couple of choke points to get in and some triggerable events like siege ladders or siege towers that can be deployed. In the rear of the castle is a flag, if the attackers can get to the flag and capture it (battlefield style, stand near it and let it sink) then they win the siege. You get gold for kills which you can spend on new stuff. Gear lasts for the map but not past that, think more Counterstrike less CoD.

A shot of me picking people off of their siege ladder & tower.

mb_warband2010-12-2822d50g.jpg

No. Warband is stand alone.

1.) I'm not sure about the controller but all you need is WASD and the 2 mouse buttons. Not overly complex.

2.) No. The single player and multiplayer are completely separate from one another.
I do believe you just sold me on this game good sir.

Max

I am not Max
Isn't everyone better off buying Warband for 7.50 rather than the bundle for $10 since Warband has everything from the original plus more?

My friend ignored my warning.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I had no idea the multiplayer was set up like a deathmatch rather than something more complicated and thus stupid. That's it, I'm getting this, and I am done. I got some cash for Christmas but I don't want to spend it on games. This steam sale has been really awesome. No matter what comes up in the next few days, I have no regrets.

Leunam

There aren't many things in gaming that provide the same thrill as charging enemy lines with your lance ready and then blasting someone off of their horse in a single crushing blow. The Multiplayer is fantastic, but singleplayer is no slouch either.

Sinatar

Max said:
Isn't everyone better off buying Warband for 7.50 rather than the bundle for $10 since Warband has everything from the original plus more?

My friend ignored my warning.

Yea there is literally no reason to own the first game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GurgleBot20 said:
This is what regular Doom looked like when I started it up after downloading:

uglydoom.png

zdoom make it look amazing.
That is what happened when I tried print screening it normally instead of using Fraps., when it was windowed it was fine. But yes, Zdoom is far to easy to use to pass up.

Ledsen

kai3345 said:

No it's not, it's basically the original game but expanded in every way, which means fully fledged SP+MP.

I'm a little uderwhelmed by Crysis. It looks pretty good, but the gameplay is a little awkward. Also, I think Just Cause 2 has spoiled the tropical island look, and I happen to think Just Cause has a better-looking outdoor environment.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You can sell em better than that!

SP is consisted of a conquer style system. You start off as the small warrior, alone facing like a half dozen bandits. Eventually ending up as a leader, leading sieges on 100+ man castles

MP has servers that range from 20-30 players, to nearly 200. As mention, you have the standard modes like Death Match(Multiple rounds, but only one life per round) to Sieges where the offensive gets infinite lives while defense only gets 4 or 5 and have to hold out for like 12-15minutes. Everything in SP can be played there. Massive armored knights swinging a pike axe around one shotting fools to horsemen lancers charging though groups of people on a cross walk up high.

MP also includes two popular mods. cRPG and Strategus. Both compliment each other, where Strategues is the massive clan battle system, join one and get in their army for Strategues battles. cRPG is basically throwing a leveling up system into the mix. Your character starts off as a lowly one hittable peasant, to whatever way you desire to build him. Unlike Native where everything is fixed and fresh, this is persisted through games.

If you are worried about how it plays, it's a bit rough but the gameplay is solid. It's the very definition of a title that is simple(You really only need the 4 movement keys and mouse). But you guild your swings with your mouse, blocking, and shielding. You'll soon realize how you have to account for distance when aiming, speed of your shot, and other jazz. No different with melee, where the difference between a fool who can't get a kill versus the one who picks up 4 or 5 every life turns out to be how skilled they are at timing parrying and attacks.

Worried about community? Always a few hundred on, and both healthy for NA and Euro. Not to mention Mod community is active

Narag

M&B SP is glorious. Last time it was hyped that I saw it was likened to the addictive gameplay of Sid Meier's Pirates and I think that holds very true.

Haven't touched Warband!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Big Rig said:
I'm a little uderwhelmed by Crysis. It looks pretty good, but the gameplay is a little awkward. Also, I think Just Cause 2 has spoiled the tropical island look, and I happen to think Just Cause has a better-looking outdoor environment.
Turn on suit-shortcuts.

Then play the game properly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
shintoki said:
If you are worried about how it plays, it's a bit rough but the gameplay is solid. It's the very definition of a title that is simple(You really only need the 4 movement keys and mouse). But you guild your swings with your mouse, blocking, and shielding. You'll soon realize how you have to account for distance when aiming, speed of your shot, and other jazz. No different with melee, where the difference between a fool who can't get a kill versus the one who picks up 4 or 5 every life turns out to be how skilled they are at timing parrying and attacks.
Yeah, Warband is up there with Die by the Sword when it comes to melee combat.

Sinatar

Wallach said:
Damnit Sinatar, shut up! That game sucks, I am certain of it. lalalalalalala

There is such a satisfying THUNK sound when you are slowly advancing on the main gates of a keep as the defenders stick arrow after arrow into your shield. You love the sound, THUNK, but every time you hear it, THUNK, you think to yourself, THUNK, "Man, my shield is going to break", THUNK, "any second now..."

ghst

thanks for the laugh
shintoki said:
You can sell em better than that!

SP is consisted of a conquer style system. You start off as the small warrior, alone facing like a half dozen bandits. Eventually ending up as a leader, leading sieges on 100+ man castles

MP has servers that range from 20-30 players, to nearly 200. As mention, you have the standard modes like Death Match(Multiple rounds, but only one life per round) to Sieges where the offensive gets infinite lives while defense only gets 4 or 5 and have to hold out for like 12-15minutes. Everything in SP can be played there. Massive armored knights swinging a pike axe around one shotting fools to horsemen lancers charging though groups of people on a cross walk up high.

MP also includes two popular mods. cRPG and Strategus. Both compliment each other, where Strategues is the massive clan battle system, join one and get in their army for Strategues battles. cRPG is basically throwing a leveling up system into the mix. Your character starts off as a lowly one hittable peasant, to whatever way you desire to build him. Unlike Native where everything is fixed and fresh, this is persisted through games.

there's also an 18th century mod that is populated by frantic neck-beards attempting to coerce people into having historically accurate rank-and-file firefights instead of chasing each other round a tree with bayonets.

Anyone bite on RUSH? I loved TokiTori, but not sure about this one. Does seem like ChuChu Rocket, always a plus, but can't pull the trigger. Made it through this sale unscathed so far, afraid this purchase will open the floodgates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom