• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
shagg_187 said:
Own a PS3/360? Then download the demo for both and judge it for yourself! :)
I had no idea they were on there, thanks, loading them up on my 360 right now. :lol

Volcynika

shagg_187 said:
http://i.imgur.com/NDaHi.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Tell them to go to their email and click the activation link for the gift in there. See if that works. My brother's gift for me was set as redeemed and I never saw a pop-up on Steam at all, had to use the link in the email.

dock

BobsRevenge said:
Do the Quake games come with their music?
No, you have to play them in silence. It's lame. People are way too tolerant of playing digital releases of CD-ROM games that totally drop the music.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamorra said:
It's not. A short, enjoyable game.
The abrupt ending to the story was disappointing. Also, it managed to tire me out in the 4ish hours it took to beat it. The first game did a better job with the pacing I think.

Minsc

Gold Member
BobsRevenge said:
Do the Quake games come with their music?

You can add the music back that shipped with the retail games by using custom engines and downloading the files online. Quake 2 is not the same without it imo.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I got it last Steam sale and honestly, if it wasn't for the solid gameplay, I probably wouldn't have played it through to the end. It was mostly the fact that after the first hour the games "scares" are unimaginative and bland, and the plot consists of your character being ordered around by people over a radio the entire game. It's a good game overall, but don't go in expecting the next RE4.

The big set pieces are another draw of the game IMO. It's the most immersive space ship game I've played I think. everlasting feels huge,

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Stallion Free said:
The abrupt ending to the story was disappointing. Also, it managed to tire me out in the 4ish hours it took to beat it. The first game did a better job with the pacing I think.

It sure has its problems but I thought it was a very unique experience unlike many games in the genre. It's probably one of these games were you either love it hate it.

shagg_187 said:
Dead Space: If you own 360 controller and don't mind playing on it; GREAT! If you don't, prepare for some mouse lag.

D3DOverrider. Game handles like a dream with mouse and keyboard. Several times I have finished the asteroid section at 100%. Never below 70%.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamorra said:
It sure has its problems but I thought it was a very unique experience unlike many games in the genre. It's probably one of these games were you either love it hate it.
I still enjoyed it, it was just sad after enjoying the first game quite a bit. If you have any appreciation for visuals though, it's easily worth 5$. Game looks fucking amazing at 60 fps on a nice big TV. It's what I imagine Mann would do if he designed a game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I <3 Memes said:
D3DOverrider. Game handles like a dream with mouse and keyboard. Several times I have finished the asteroid section at 100%. Never below 70%.
Lmao, I was reading about people bitching about that achievement on consoles and I was like damn, I couldn't get 100% on MKB, how the hell could they do it on consoles but it turned out it was like 50% health and I managed 80% on my first try with MKB :lol :lol :lol :lol

Game is crazy fucking easy on mouse and keyboard.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I <3 Memes said:

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly do I need to do to do this?

I finally own Dead Space. Can't wait to try it! And an extra $5er to snag S&S and Greed Corp seems like a no-brainer. Conversely, Archon looks terrible and was easily skipped.

Three more days of new deals after this. This has been a great sale, I hope they have some good ones lined up for the big finale! :D

Salaadin

Zerokku said:
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly do I need to do to do this?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413
That has all the info youll need.

EDIT: Damn you Minsc, I wont forget this!

EDIT2:

Alts said:
I was disappointed with the demo, but I figured for $4.80, why not. The demo felt a bit trial-and-error-ish for a horror game.

The full game isnt as trial and errorish. In fact, its not much at all. That section of the demo could be though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Proof that D3Doverrider/triple buffering is dope tech: In Assassin's Creed 2, when the game would pan across the city with just v-sync the dropped frames kept the pan from feeling glassy smooth (a different issue from tearing), triple buffering makes dropped frames 100% less obvious and made the pans much more smooth.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Minsc said:

Oh god. The first picture of "standard double buffering" is something I see in several games occasionally (but not in plenty of others). Was wondering if something was wrong with my GPU. Now I know how to fix that :D

dock

Stallion Free said:
Good thing it's on PC where people who want to do 15 seconds of research can find a fix:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584359
What a glib, snotty response. You're content with the current option? Do you think this sufficiently covers all CD-rom based games sold as complete on download services?

It's hardly 15 seconds worth of hassle though, and it's not really a fix. Not least of which, it doesn't immediately provide a source for the music files themselves.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Minsc said:
You can add the music back that shipped with the retail games by using custom engines and downloading the files online. Quake 2 is not the same without it imo.
Some links, I am having a bit of a problem finding such a mod.

Salaadin

Stallion Free said:
Proof that D3Doverrider/triple buffering is dope tech: In Assassin's Creed 2, when the game would pan across the city with just v-sync the dropped frames kept the pan from feeling glassy smooth (a different issue from tearing), triple buffering makes dropped frames 100% less obvious and made the pans much more smooth.

Just Cause 2 VSync was similar too. The game would either run at 60FPS or 30 FPS and nowhere in between. During heavy action moments, it was constantly moving back and forth which was quite annoying. Disabled it in game and switched to d3doverrider. Silky smooth 60FPS all of the time.

More often than not d3doverrider is the way to go. I wont even enable in game Vsync unless d3doverrider doesnt work for some reason. I only ever found it to not work with 64 bit Crysis and Warhead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
dock said:
What a glib, snotty response. You're content with the current option? Do you think this sufficiently covers all CD-rom based games sold as complete on download services?

It's hardly 15 seconds worth of hassle though, and it's not really a fix. Not least of which, it doesn't immediately provide a source for the music files themselves.
It is a fix and it provides a link to the music files for Quake 2. Try reading more next time?

In case this is still a struggle for you, here is the link he posted: LINK

chixdiggit

Big day for me. Getting The Ball, Greed Corp, Amnesia, and Swords and Soldiers for sure. Up in the air about the BIA pack. I loved the first one on the Xbox and never played the others. Backlog is killing me though.

Salsa

Swords and Soldiers and The ball for sure

debating Amnesia and Greed Corp

Amnesia seems way too scary :lol dont know if i have the balls to play that

I just noticed I never got an email receipt for The Ball. Normally it's an instant email upon purchase but this time I haven't got anything yet despite having bought it 2 hours ago.

Anyone else seen anything like this during the sale?

Volcynika

SalsaShark said:
Swords and Soldiers and The ball for sure

debating Amnesia and Greed Corp

Get Amnesia! What's the worst that could happen? :p

hylje

SalsaShark said:

I was about to buy it, but then I watched the trailer and figured out that I don't have the guts to finish it.

Salaadin

Buttonbasher said:
I just noticed I never got an email receipt for The Ball. Normally it's an instant email upon purchase but this time I haven't got anything yet despite having bought it 2 hours ago.

Anyone else seen anything like this during the sale?

I think it happened to me once. Check your steam games list and see if its there, check your bank statement/CC statement online and see if the charge is there or if its deducted from your credit line.

If both are ok, you should be fine.

Yaweee

So, Amnesia. How long/complete is it? Penumbra was two rather short "episodes". How does Amnesia compare?

I really liked Penumbra 2, was kind of lukewarm on the first part.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Speaking of Triple Buffering would it help to smooth out the slight jankyness in Zombie Driver? Love that game but man the framerate is all over the place.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mikespit1200 said:
Speaking of Triple Buffering would it help to smooth out the slight jankyness in Zombie Driver? Love that game but man the framerate is all over the place.
There's a good chance of it. I should actually try that too. I think some of those FPS drops are from the city streaming in though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Volcynika said:
Get Amnesia! What's the worst that could happen? :p

Motion Sickness.
Happened to me while playing the demo.
I am worried that I cant play it more than 15-20 minutes in one piece, therefore seriously damaging the enjoyment I can get from it.
I want to play it, but cant :( Fucking MS.

Volcynika

Toma said:
Motion Sickness.
Happened to me while playing the demo.
I am worried that I cant play it more than 15-20 minutes in one piece, therefore seriously damaging the enjoyment I can get from it.
I want to play it, but cant :( Fucking MS.

It it because of the sanity effects or something, or just normal gameplay? I think you can turn off the sanity effects...I forget.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Volcynika said:
It it because of the sanity effects or something, or just normal gameplay? I think you can turn off the sanity effects...I forget.

It already occured while viewing the walking animation if I can remember correctly (the camera head shaking) , but yeah, the sanity effects didnt make it better.

Edit: And Amnesia was the only game in quite a while that did this to me. I actually sort of forgot that I have MS when considering to buy a new game.

Bebpo

Banned
Bufbaf said:
Is Dog Days really THAT bad if you enjoyed K&L until the war scenario?

I liked K&L1 until the war scenario and then I hated it.

I liked K&L2 the entire way through. It's not as strong as the first half of K&L1, but it keeps the same "real world movie" feel that no other game does right and the visuals are waaaaaaay better in K&L2. Gunplay is about the same, but no more big open stupid environments like the war part of the first game. All tight narrow corridor shooting like Gears of War.

If you have any interest in the K&L franchise, Dog Days is certainly worth $5.

Truespeed

Popstar said:
Ouch, I was just about to grab it. What was so bad about it?

I just found it repetitive and boring. It just didn't have that thing that made the original such a classic. For perspective, I even launched an Apple II emulator and played the original Archon, with a 360 controller, and found it more entertaining.

Also, demo is only playable for 20 minutes per day.

Weenerz

Banned
Salaadin said:
I think it happened to me once. Check your steam games list and see if its there, check your bank statement/CC statement online and see if the charge is there or if its deducted from your credit line.

If both are ok, you should be fine.

Checking my statement for this sale would be a mistake, since I've bought like 3-4 games PER day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom