• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Toma said:
It already occured while viewing the walking animation if I can remember correctly (the camera head shaking) , but yeah, the sanity effects didnt make it better.

Edit: And Amnesia was the only game in quite a while that did this to me. I actually sort of forgot that I have MS when considering to buy a new game.
Pop some dimenhydrinate and try it. I've always been curious about that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
:lol I was considering buying Amnesia too, but my girlfriend already owns it, and since the only upside to playing the game was that I was able to wimp out (I hate horror games :( ) and huddle up in her breasts, I'll keep my playtime to her PC.

filipe

SalsaShark said:
Alright fuckers i bought Amensia.

Goddamit you guys, bricks will be shat.

I can only play that game in 20 minute intervals. It ain't going to be them sissy red bricks. Full blown cement blocks will shat.

Volcynika

Lyphen said:
:lol I was considering buying Amnesia too, but my girlfriend already owns it, and since the only upside to playing the game was that I was able to wimp out (I hate horror games :( ) and huddle up in her breasts, I'll keep my playtime to her PC.

:lol

HOI3 Complete?
NOOoooOOooOooOoOoooooo!!!!... I wanted EU3 Complete :(
I'll buy it though..

Can someone give me an idea about whether I need the Semper Fi or the DLCs? Is the base game good enough for five bucks? I have base EU3 and I know it's NOT good enough..

teiresias

Picked up Amnesia, thanks to owning Penumbra from the Humble Indie Bundle. Of course, I tried the demo earlier though and couldn't finish it because it was going to give me a heart attack from fright!!

I have yet to play Penumbra though, so will playing Amnesia first make it difficult to go back and play Penumbra (and maybe I should pick up the second Penumbra game?)?

I also dislike my PC monitor for dark gaming due to IPS glow - but I bought it mainly for its photo editing uses, not gaming. So maybe I'll need to move the PC into the living room and the plasma for some Penumbra and Amnesia playing!!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy K&L tomorrow, thank you all for helping me with that :)

Meanwhile, Amnesia is crashing when walking through the first door, and the devs are absent 'till the 3rd of January. This is just not my month I guess. Any idea anyone?

chixdiggit

After watching one of the BIA trailers I immediately came to the conclusion that I am not ready to endure yet another WW2 game. Maybe during next years sale.

Salaadin

Lyphen said:

If theres ever a reason to own Amnesia :lol

Nabs

Steam wallet now empty and it feels good. Picked up Dead Space and Greed Corp.

I think I have everything I need now, but we'll see.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
tahrikmili said:
HOI3 Complete?
I'll buy it though..

Can someone give me an idea about whether I need the Semper Fi or the DLCs? Is the base game good enough for five bucks? I have base EU3 and I know it's NOT good enough..

We agreed on HoI III plus Semper Fi instead of the whole complete pack. But Semper Fi is supposed to be very important due to 32456786543 bug fixes.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dice said:
Pop some dimenhydrinate and try it. I've always been curious about that.

wikipedia said:
Many users report a side effect profile consistent with tropane glycoalkaloidal (e.g. atropine) poisoning as both show antagonism of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors in both the central and autonomic nervous system, which inhibits various signal transduction pathways. In the CNS, dimenhydrinate readily crosses the blood-brain barrier, exerting effects within the visual and auditory cortex.

Someone remind me not to take any pills offered by Dice.
:lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chixdiggit said:
After watching one of the BIA trailers I immediately came to the conclusion that I am not ready to endure yet another WW2 game. Maybe during next years sale.
Hell's Highway doesn't use very many of the WW2 genre tropes. For one, it has color. The story is actually pretty decent. Gameplay-wise, it's closer to Gears of War than World at War. Overall, it felt pretty fresh despite the typical setting.

Salaadin said:
I think it happened to me once. Check your steam games list and see if its there, check your bank statement/CC statement online and see if the charge is there or if its deducted from your credit line.

If both are ok, you should be fine.
Both check out. I just found it strange. Thanks though.

Popstar

Truespeed said:
I just found it repetitive and boring. It just didn't have that thing that made the original such a classic. For perspective, I even launched an Apple II emulator and played the original Archon, with a 360 controller, and found it more entertaining.

Also, demo is only playable for 20 minutes per day.
Thanks. I actually almost bought it anyways but decided to see if I could find a full review. No online multiplayer!? Surely if you're updating Archon your starting point is improved graphics + online. I'd buy it for that if the gameplay was exactly the same.

Lame.

Jeez, I'm bitching about missing features in a game that costs $2.50. Steams sales aren't great for keeping your perspective :lol

Blizzard

Banned
An interesting-looking day...I'm tempted to get the sniper game since the graphics look really impressive, but the rating is so low and the impressions I've heard aren't great, so maybe I'll be a cheapskate and wait for a $5-7.50 price before adding it and the DLC to my backlog. :lol

The Hearts of Iron games look super hardcore to me. I like actually seeing little soldiers fighting in my strategy games instead of looking at all icons...respect to people who can do that. I'll make up for it by getting the Brothers in Arms trilogy on Stallion Free's recommendation, since the Steam version apparently doesn't include Starforce (yay)!

I am undecided on Greed Corps and Swords and Soldiers HD. I like turn-based strategy games (which seem pretty rare), and this looks like it might be vaguely similar to Advance Wars (I loved that series). Fair enough? I'm not sure about the soldiers one. It looks kinda like some flash games I've played before, and I don't know if I would enjoy the playstyle. Anyone have a strong opinion?

Toma

Blizzard said:
An interesting-looking day...I'm tempted to get the sniper game since the graphics look really impressive, but the rating is so low and the impressions I've heard aren't great, so maybe I'll be a cheapskate and wait for a $5-7.50 price before adding it and the DLC to my backlog. :lol

The Hearts of Iron games look super hardcore to me. I like actually seeing little soldiers fighting in my strategy games instead of looking at all icons...respect to people who can do that. I'll make up for it by getting the Brothers in Arms trilogy on Stallion Free's recommendation, since the Steam version apparently doesn't include Starforce (yay)!

I am undecided on Greed Corps and Swords and Soldiers HD. I like turn-based strategy games (which seem pretty rare), and this looks like it might be vaguely similar to Advance Wars (I loved that series). Fair enough? I'm not sure about the soldiers one. It looks kinda like some flash games I've played before, and I don't know if I would enjoy the playstyle. Anyone have a strong opinion?

Greed Corps seems to be a fair bet. I'll try HoI just because I want to see just how much it throws at me. And yeah, pass up on the sniper game. There is a reason why everyone is calling it bad.

About Swords and Soldiers.... mmmmmmh...eh. Probably the most controversial one but I got the same impression. I can play these kinds of games on Kongregate and the like, so I was rather putting my money towards Greed Corps.

alex1893

Lyphen said:
not bad :lol

jediyoshi

Blizzard said:

Just bought and ran through Greed Corps for a bit. Great music and art style. It's more like Catan in that it's more about managing how you expand. The combat boils down to Risk without dice rolls, just whoever has the larger amount of troops (of which there's only one type) wins. Probably the best <3$ purchase I've made so far that wasn't a proper retail game at some point

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Loaded up Greed Corp for 20 seconds before heading out. Slick style, great jazz soundtrack. I'm already glad I bought it.

Blizzard

Banned
Toma said:
Greed Corps seems to be a fair bet. I'll try HoI just because I want to see just how much it throws at me. And yeah, pass up on the sniper game. There is a reason why everyone is calling it bad.

About Swords and Soldiers.... mmmmmmh...eh. Probably the most controversial one but I got the same impression. I can play these kinds of games on Kongregate and the like, so I was rather putting my money towards Greed Corps.
Yeah, I watched the trailer and made up my mind. Brothers in Arms trilogy and Greed Corps is all for me today! People who like patapon might like Swords and Soldiers, though, I'm guessing.

*edit* Good to see nice Greed Corps impressions. It got good ratings on other platforms, I think, and I sometimes like games like Settlers of Catan (kinda), Risk, and Advance Wars like I mentioned. :)

Owzers

I just started Swords and Soldiers for Wii...i don't "get" this game. Mainly because you run into enemies pretty soon and there are groups of them, but there doesnt' seem to be a way to gather your troops at all, as soon as you make one it just runs right into enemy fire all by itself.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Toma said:

Fun factor-wise, Swords and Soldiers blows away all the TD flash games I've played, and some of the downloadable ones as well. It almost feels like a fighting game, except the attacks come in the form of little people and spells. It might not be that fun forever but it peaks high.

Lyphen said:
I'm going to pretend you're a lesbian. I suggest you do the same.

Been playing Greed Corp for the last hour and a half. Here are my initial impressions:

-Basic turn base strategy game.
-4 factions each having the same basic unit and buildings
-Can only build one unit, you have more then you win the battle, can stack up to 16 on a title
-Buildings range from resource gather (also destroys tiles so can be used offensively/defensively), barracks (can build 8 units a turn), cannon (destroys 5 units and a layer of a title, must be armed on the previous turn to use)
-Titles come in layers and when they are gone the column goes with it. Also, cannons that destroy the last layer on one column destroy all connecting columns on their last layer as well
-Capture a title to gain opponent's buildings
-24 scenarios in the campaign, moves pretty quick with all 4 factions being present in the third scenario so it gets busy
-multiplayer (haven't done this yet)
-The music in the game is some slow jazz beats. Nice and relaxing.
-Has achievements for those that care

Its a pretty fun game. Its also not about amassing a giant army but controlling the map/destroying the columns. I made a mistake of moving my 16 army to a resource gather. The enemy had one of their own right next to it that lowered them both to their final layer. Then my turn came, and my gather wiped out my army by destroying the column =(. Still won thanks to my cannon. You can also purchase a plane that can move your armies but its expensive.

chixdiggit

SapientWolf said:
Hell's Highway doesn't use very many of the WW2 genre tropes. For one, it has color. The story is actually pretty decent. Gameplay-wise, it's closer to Gears of War than World at War. Overall, it felt pretty fresh despite the typical setting.

Ack. Stop talking me into giving more money to Gabe. :lol

Truespeed

Popstar said:
Thanks. I actually almost bought it anyways but decided to see if I could find a full review. No online multiplayer!? Surely if you're updating Archon your starting point is improved graphics + online. I'd buy it for that if the gameplay was exactly the same.

Lame.

Jeez, I'm bitching about missing features in a game that costs $2.50. Steams sales aren't great for keeping your perspective :lol

Did you download and play the demo? I'm sort of interested in what other people have to say about this game. They could have done so much more.

Javaman

storafötter said:
I sent it to their account, I am talking to the person now and I have had experience with gifting in the past without trouble. It is probably just a rare circumstance happening.
Have him check his e-mail account associated with his steam account. There should be one there with a link he can click to open the gift. Might be in his junk filtered folder. Edit: BAH beaten by a volcano.

filipe said:
I can only play that game in 20 minute intervals. It ain't going to be them sissy red bricks. Full blown cement blocks will shat.

I would start humming and whistling when I was playing it to calm myself down. Never had a game make me feel actually crazy like that before. :lol

Danneee

LCfiner said:
phew! nothing for me today.

I live to fight another day.

although K&L2 for 5 bucks.... NO! must be strong!

Couldn't resist it, and as it seem it runs very well on even a low/mid spec laptop such as mine too!

joshwaan

Dead Space I really want to purchase. Anyone running this with Windows 7 64 Bit?

I purchased the EA store one an not lanuch it really pissing me off.

Also Planets vs Zombies 4 US sold ! :)

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
I like turn-based strategy games (which seem pretty rare), and this looks like it might be vaguely similar to Advance Wars (I loved that series).
I mentioned it before in this thread back at the start of the sale but there's a complete clone of Advance Wars on sale for $2.50: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/

And though it is not on Steam, there is a Demo: http://www.gamershell.com/download_57146.shtml

I doubt it will get cheaper as it's also on sale on Impulse but for $8. (And the Impulse exclusive maps can be downloaded from Headup Games' forums.)

Hmmmm, I seem to be locked out of buying anything.

Getting an error like the following:

Your purchase has not been completed.
The payment processor has reported an authorization failure. Please select a different payment method.

I hear some folks saying that credit cards can be declined sometimes if they see lots of little charges to Steam. But I'm just trying to purchase stuff with funds from my steam wallet. Plus I've only made like two Steam purchases so far, shouldn't be having any issues with my card.

I've contacted support, hopefully this gets resolved as I'd like to pick up a few more things before the end of the sale.

Blizzard

Banned
benjipwns said:
I mentioned it before in this thread back at the start of the sale but there's a complete clone of Advance Wars on sale for $2.50: http://store.steampowered.com/app/46440/

And though it is not on Steam, there is a Demo: http://www.gamershell.com/download_57146.shtml

I doubt it will get cheaper as it's also on sale on Impulse but for $8. (And the Impulse exclusive maps can be downloaded from Headup Games' forums.)
... D: It's tempting, though the graphics look kinda busy. Reviews are also mediocre! Java and Joe Molotov, you guys own it, what do you think?

*edit*
Fish, I had that problem when I tried to gift games, but I could still buy them for myself. Then the next day it started working again before I even got a support response. :/ At least in the middle of the week you might get a Steam response faster. I'd guess it's Valve's fault, since when I called, my credit card company hadn't even seen the charge and everything was fine.

dock

Stallion Free said:
It is a fix and it provides a link to the music files for Quake 2. Try reading more next time?

In case this is still a struggle for you, here is the link he posted: LINK

Must you say 'struggle' as an attempt to put a snide insult in every post?

It doesn't change the situation with every other CD based PC game, just Quake 2, and I don't consider scoping out an unfinished, untrusted wrapper to be a completely satisfactory solution.

Nevertheless, I appreciate a certain type of player is happy to deal with this sort of thing to experience a relatively complete version of the product.

Nitemare1

It's like steam knows about my gaming habits!

Hey Nitemare, remember that time you bough Penumbra, you thought that was pretty good right, its kind of like that. I tell you what. How about I give you another couple of bucks off,. you know. no pressure!...

Fuuuuuuuu.

tahrikmili said:
HOI3 Complete?
I'll buy it though..

Get the Paradox Complete Pack for both of them and many more great games! :D

Toma

Mr. Spinnington said:
is it just me or does Archon Classic look sick as hell

Last page:

Truespeed said:
I just found it repetitive and boring. It just didn't have that thing that made the original such a classic. For perspective, I even launched an Apple II emulator and played the original Archon, with a 360 controller, and found it more entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom