• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truespeed

I'm on the fence on Swords & Soldiers. Sucks that I can't play a PC demo before I buy. Stylistically, it reminds me of Fat Princess. It's received great reviews, though.

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
... D: It's tempting, though the graphics look kinda busy. Reviews are also mediocre! Java and Joe Molotov, you guys own it, what do you think?
Yeah, it's gaudy compared to classic Advance Wars, especially in close, but you can zoom out and turn the camera and it looks more like Advance Wars does. That trailer doesn't do it very many favors as to what the game is actually like.

It has only four resolution options but can be run in a window, and it has some silly quirks and issues in the UI but it's basically Advance Wars on the PC. It has the exact same units under different names (Infantry, Mech, Tank, Transport, etc.) plus HQ, cities and factories. Plays pretty much exactly the same from what I played. Has some stupid story "cutscenes" too.

I wouldn't call it anywhere near as good as Advance Wars, but if you want a cheap little Advance Wars style fix on PC it does alright.

Wouldn't hurt to check out the demo, it lets you play the first five missions in the campaign.

If it was a dollar I'd say don't wait just grab it if you're a big Advance Wars fun, but since it's not and this is a Steam sale... :lol

EDIT: Here's a solid review: http://www.outofeight.info/2010/04/future-wars-review.html

He mentions the AI, and in one aspect it works just like in Advance Wars in that you can throw a transport out as a decoy and the AI will go after that sparing your tanks or whatever else so they can attack said units rather than have to defend.

RedSwirl

I've never played Brothers in Arms and the whole main series is now $10. Get?

What should I expect here? Where does it sit on the tactical shooter scale between Gears and say, the first Ghost Recon?

I <3 Memes said:
How does Toki Tori play with kb/mouse? Or does it really need a controller to be played properly?
It doesnt need a controller. It doesnt have any precision based platforming, its more a puzzle game. Mouse is very useful if you do need to position yourself precisely.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Repost because of only good feedback I got from people who actually played the game now and MAYBE you want to take a look if you like these kind of games: CivCity: Rome - 1$/€

ji00eg.jpg

Impressions 1
Impressions 2

Blizzard

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Any reason why I SHOULDN'T get Sniper: Ghost Warrior?
One complaint I remember hearing is that people can see you from VERY far away, even if you're peeking through a hole in a fence or something. The Steam store page actually has a quote that mentions this as a realistic/positive feature.

As a side note, that same sort of thing is something that bothered me the most in Crysis, when I would be shot by super-accurate SMG soldiers from 500 feet away or something (who would all become aware of me at once?). I may just be misremembering. The last time I tried Crysis I did a bit better even though I still think being an invisible sniper is the easiest way to do Crysis.

*update* If anyone is craving sniper action, check out Sniper Elite instead: http://store.steampowered.com/app/3700/

It's only $1.50, and if you don't mind semi-clunky old graphics and WWII action, it might be fun. :)

benjipwns

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Any reason why I SHOULDN'T get Sniper: Ghost Warrior?
Personally, I'm waiting for it to be cheaper, based on the demo the enemies have instant laser vision from miles away if you alert them (and they'll instantly kill you from that far as well no matter what) despite being seemingly well hidden, but apparently the patches addressed this and other issues. It does seem like it could be a solid sniping game if the issues were indeed fixed.

I was expecting it to be like $4-5 though, to be honest.

EDIT: Well, beaten.

rObit

Banned
Hey GAF, any recommendations on a Mac-compatible game that primarily uses the keyboard? Got a Macbook Air and am looking for something I can pick up and play without having to grab a mouse or anything. Some pretty good deals on Mac games but I'm not sure what to get.

jediyoshi

It warms my heart to see Amnesia outselling Dead Space at the same price right now. And holy cow Sniper's doing pretty well too

Blizzard

Banned
benjipwns said:
Personally, I'm waiting for it to be cheaper, based on the demo the enemies have instant laser vision from miles away if you alert them (and they'll instantly kill you from that far as well), but apparently the patches addressed this and other issues. It does seem like it could be a solid sniping game if the issues were indeed fixed.

I was expecting it to be like $4-5 though, to be honest.
Have you ever tried Sniper Elite? 85% off actually seems like a pretty decent price. I'd like to get other positive impressions before I recommend it TOO much though, since I haven't played very far through the campaign. at the very least the metacritic score is over 70, compared to 50-something for ghost warrior.

Toma said:
Repost because of only good feedback I got from people who actually played the game now and MAYBE you want to take a look if you like these kind of games: CivCity: Rome - 1$/€

http://i55.tinypic.com/ji00eg.jpg

Interesting...thanks for your impressions. I might buy this on the last day. I remember looking it over when it first came out but it didn't do too well in reviews, so I forgot about it (back when I weighed review scores heavily in my purchasing decisions). I'm surprised to hear it holds up at all.

Hard to go wrong for a buck but I don't need another game I won't play clogging up the works. I love city builders, though, so that doesn't seem like it will be the case here. Besides, it's not like AAA city builders are falling out of the sky.

benjipwns

Banned
Blizzard said:
Have you ever tried Sniper Elite? 85% off actually seems like a pretty decent price. I'd like to get other positive impressions before I recommend it TOO much though, since I haven't played very far through the campaign. at the very least the metacritic score is over 70, compared to 50-something for ghost warrior.
Yeah, I've got it on Steam and had played it way back before. If people want a sniping game, I think it's easily one of the better ones out there and I'd pick it up before spending five times as much on Ghost Warrior unless the graphics or non-WW2 aspect is that important. It's not as linear and more realistic than Ghost Warrior from what I played of Ghost Warrior.

I believe it also has a demo (not on Steam of course) as well.

Personally, if I was in the mood for some sniping, I'd grab Sniper Elite first at $1.50 and just wait for Ghost Warrior to pop back up down the road for $5 or less. Then you'd get both for the price of Ghost Warrior currently.

RedSwirl said:
I've never played Brothers in Arms and the whole main series is now $10. Get?

What should I expect here? Where does it sit on the tactical shooter scale between Gears and say, the first Ghost Recon?

I only played the first game, but it was a pretty standard fps except you could tell your homeboys to go stand somewhere and cover you so that you could flank the enemy. It's definitely more arcade-y than sim.

Thanks to whoever posted the cRPG thing for Warband, I bought the game during the Black Friday sales and didn't know about that. Now I'm back to playing the game all day every day again. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, a bit late to ask this, but when it comes to the X games is X3:TC superior to the old games, or do people just say to start with X3 because its so similar? The OCD part of me really doesn't like playing things out of order, but if X1 and X2 are noticeably worse as games...

Truespeed said:
I'm on the fence on Swords & Soldiers. Sucks that I can't play a PC demo before I buy. Stylistically, it reminds me of Fat Princess. It's received great reviews, though.
Yeah, it is a very good game. Its not "hard" strategy, but it does have a strategic bent all its own once you start paying attention to movement speeds and timing. Mostly though its just kind of addictively fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
echoshifting said:
Interesting...thanks for your impressions. I might buy this on the last day. I remember looking it over when it first came out but it didn't do too well in reviews, so I forgot about it (back when I weighed review scores heavily in my purchasing decisions). I'm surprised to hear it holds up at all.

Hard to go wrong for a buck but I don't need another game I won't play clogging up the works. I love city builders, though, so that doesn't seem like it will be the case here. Besides, it's not like AAA city builders are falling out of the sky.

Exactly my thinking. The game is surprisingly well done. It has 1 or 2 points where you might stumble and think its bugged and missing a feature.. well, its not. Actually, if it hard warned you it would have been pretty clever objective design. It doesnt look like an AAA game but at the heart its basically Caesar V :)
If you compare it to the other Civs, Civilization IV, SimCity 4 and CivCity actually show 3 different takes on the genre. If CivCity style games are its own sub genre then, CivCity is the best game of its kind I've played since Caesar III.

Toma said:
CivCity is the best game of its kind I've played since Caesar III.

High praise! This is my fave style of city builder (Impressions-style); you picked the perfect thing to say to convince me to snag it.

On that note, ALL of those games (Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor) should really be on Steam by now... =/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Delightful Oonsk said:
Hey GAF, any recommendations on a Mac-compatible game that primarily uses the keyboard? Got a Macbook Air and am looking for something I can pick up and play without having to grab a mouse or anything. Some pretty good deals on Mac games but I'm not sure what to get.
You pick up VVVVVV yet?

InertiaXr

I got Dragon Age UE during the daily deal, and just today finished modding it and actually started playing. I've tried over and over to turn OFF the automatic updates so that it won't update some day and erase all the mods I have on, but it keeps getting turned back on for whatever reason, typically when I load DA up. Is this a bug or a feature?:lol

Toma

echoshifting said:
High praise! This is my fave style of city builder (Impressions-style); you picked the perfect thing to say to convince me to snag it.

Mind you I didnt say its better than Caesar 3. But really.. I wish they would have sold at least a few copies of CivCity: Rome to give it a bit more modern polish and a better engine for bigger fields in the next version. It could be really, really great :( Hopefully, this kind of game didnt die completely with it.

Birbo

Picked up Crysis yesterday, but now I'm seeing that it has issues running on Vista 64-bit. Has this been remedied or do I need a patch or something?

Toma said:
Mind you I didnt say its better than Caesar 3. But really.. I wish they would have sold at least a few copies of CivCity: Rome to give it a bit more modern polish and a better engine for bigger fields. It could be really, really great :( Hopefully, this kind of game didnt die completely with it.

I'm assuming you've already played the other 2D entries that followed in that series, because if you haven't you really should. Zeus (with Poseidon expansion) is, to me, the best of the Impressions-style city builders. They're all great, though.

I replay all of these games regularly; I'd double dip on each and every one in a heartbeat. I actually did a lot of beta testing on these way back in the day when I actually did that sort of thing; what a great development team. Still depresses me that we will probably never see another proper entry in this franchise/style. Even Tilted Mill is basically gone.

So frustrating...we are in the middle of a PC gaming renaissance and these games simply aren't getting their due.

trinest

Someone gifted me CivCity- I assume thats the guy who wanted me to look at it? If he wants payment just hook me up via a PM on steam or something.

I see that Asmesia is cheap today yay! But even cheaper if you own the developers other title?

Finaily the only other game I want on the service on special. But I would rather get it for $4.80 then over $6. Does it reconsigie you have it from the humble bundle? Cause when I add it in the cart I don't see the discount- or don't you see the discounts in the cart until you go into the payment thing?

Anyway what other games are worth picking up this sale- now that the only other game that I did want is cheap- anything else today good?

Toma

echoshifting said:
I'm assuming you've already played the other 2D entries that followed in that series, because if you haven't you really should. Zeus (with Poseidon expansion) is, to me, the best of the Impressions-style city builders. They're all great, though.

I replay all of these games regularly; I'd double dip on each and every one in a heartbeat. I actually did a lot of beta testing on these way back in the day when I actually did that sort of thing; what a great development team. Still depresses me that we will probably never see another proper entry in this franchise/style. Even Tilted Mill is basically gone.

Yeah, which reminds me. I am definitely picking up Children of the Nile again. THAT might have been the best 3D version of these kind of games. If only because of the more intricate supply chain and bigger maps.

But seriously, people need to pick it up for 1$ =(

And yeah I would buy a Zeus, Pharaoh etc package in a heartbeat. My favourites from the ones I played were Caesar 3, Children of the Nile and CivCity tying with a few other 2D ones I've played. Didnt play Zeus though. Will check Gog whether I can find it.

Truespeed

For those of you trying to play old games in unsupported windowed mode there is an application called dxwnd that will force DX based games into whatever size window you want. You may need to play around with the options, but it seems to do the job.

Toma

trinest said:
Someone gifted me CivCity- I assume thats the guy who wanted me to look at it? If he wants payment just hook me up via a PM on steam or something.

Nah >_< Keep it.
It was a gift.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Picked up Civ 4 Complete because I can't afford Civ 5 and all this talk about Civ games got me interested. Any tips and pointers? I've always liked the concept but never tried a Civ game before.

In for Swords & Soldiers, Greed Corp, Amnesia, and CivCity:Rome (GAF hype + $0.99 = buy).

And yesterday I thought I was done with this sale. :lol

Volcynika

SalsaShark said:
I got it. It got ok/average reviews but i have faith in the Killing Floor guys, and this is clearly their "Portal" attempt.

You realize Tripwire didn't develop it, right? They only published it.

Toma

rohlfinator said:
In for Swords & Soldiers, Greed Corp, Amnesia, and CivCity:Rome (GAF hype + $0.99 = buy).

And yesterday I thought I was done with this sale. :lol

Funny how I managed to transform my sorta hype (actually just the need to support an outsider, in this case a game no one notices even though its a 1$/€ purchase) into a GAF hype. Anyway! Go on! Spread the word! :lol

Salsa

Volcynika said:
You realize Tripwire didn't develop it, right? They only published it.

ha, didnt know that, wasnt paying that much attention

still, i believe in what they put their name into i guess! :p

Toma said:
Funny how I managed to transform my sorta hype (actually just the need to support an outsider, in this case a game no one notices even though its a 1$/€ purchase) into a GAF hype. Anyway! Go on! Spread the word! :lol

I saw somebody in my friends list playing it an hour ago, I'm still trying to figure out if that was you. :lol

trinest

Toma said:
Nah >_< Keep it.
It was a gift.
lol okay! No worries. I'm downloading it now. Going to check it out once its done.

As for the ball- I thought it looked awesome- was considering picking it up.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dani said:
Picked up Civ 4 Complete because I can't afford Civ 5 and all this talk about Civ games got me interested. Any tips and pointers? I've always liked the concept but never tried a Civ game before.
First and most importantly: Play the tutorial.

Secondly when you start a game go in with a full gameplan. Know which victory condition you're going for (having a backup condition is a good idea too) and which wonders you want to build to help you meet your goal. I also personally found it useful to play marathon length games early on to help understand the mechanics and finer points of play.

Lastly don't piss Gandhi off.

Toma

echoshifting said:
I saw somebody in my friends list playing it an hour ago, I'm still trying to figure out if that was you. :lol

I'd bet 10€ that it was either me or one of the 3 guys I gifted the game today :D
I'll be ingame in a few minutes so you can check :p
Or check whether you already added me via the website:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029022097/

If it wasnt me and I am not on your friendslist yet, I wouldnt say no to adding you on steam =)

Toma said:
Didnt play Zeus though.

:O

Dude, if you liked Caesar III...the fact that you have not played Zeus hurts my brain. If it was on Steam this is the part where I would just gift it to you.

Really they're all great games but Zeus is the must-play of the franchise. Find it.

edit: It must be you. You're in Spain, aren't you?

Toma said:
Heh, I thought I saw a few others backing you up on that, but maybe it was just you. :lol

It looks interesting and it doesn't take much for me to buy a $1 game... hopefully I will be spreading the word once I get to playing it
in a year/never :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
FYI: Alpha Protocol is fucking amazing. If it's on the best of on sunday: Buy it! If not, buy it, too.

Toma

rohlfinator said:
Heh, I thought I saw a few others backing you up on that, but maybe it was just you. :lol

It looks interesting and it doesn't take much for me to buy a $1 game... hopefully I will be spreading the word once I get to playing it
in a year/never :p

I made them back me up :p
No, seriously, I was just advising to get this game and I am glad all of them liked it so far :)

And Zeus is not on GOG... So my chances to play it fall rapidly.

And nope I am from germany, but right now living in turkey. Then its probably one of the other ones :) Add me on steam if you dont mind.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029022097/

Toma said:
And Zeus is not on GOG... So my chances to play it fall rapidly.

I don't think it's on any of the digital services...such a shame. Who owns the rights to these games? GET THEM ONLINE.

Anyway, it's still no excuse. These are just about the only disc-based games I still play, and they are definitely the only games where I'd say "that's no excuse, it's cheap on Amazon and it's worth it." But, I guess it's probably not quite so simple across the Atlantic =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom