• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horns

I picked up the Crysis pack yesterday and boy was I thrilled. I knew I'd like the game, but it is amazing looking even on medium settings. Plus, it runs with a high frame rate. It was my best Steam deal purchase yet.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
demosthenes said:
Wasn't really upset, just pointing out I had already asked like 2 or 3 times to give some info on it.
Then again, if nobody was responding to you after the second or third time, it probably would be best for you to you know, do the research yourself regardless of whether or not you were that upset.

Truespeed

JohngPR said:
Anyone know if to get the discount on Amnesia, you have to have a Steam activated version of Penumbra? I'm assuming yes, but I recent purchased the Penumbra Collection from Amazon Games for $2.50

Ya, sadly it just looks at your Steam games.

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
If the discount applies for gifted versions, I can probably gift you Amnesia at the reduced price and you can paypal me the money. Up to you.

No, I looked under my game list on Amazon and couldn't find a product key so I guess I'm out of luck there. Surprisingly enough, Mafia II had one so I was able to activate that with Steam so a positive came from it somewhere along the line.

If it's not any trouble, I'll take you up on that offer. Money is money I suppose. :)

Thanks!

Toma said:
Lets put it this way. I always wanted to play these games because of their ridiculous grand scheme. I at least want to try getting into them, so the more painless introduction would help. I dont care that much about how 1:1 the historical stuff is. Is the AI believable? Good tutorials? Bugs? (If I know HoI III was a buggy mess on release I might find a review on the internet stating whether those bugs were fixed)

You'd probably be better off going with HOI3. It's the more modern game, with a superior interface and better tutorials. With the Semper Fi expansion and the latest patches, the game isn't so buggy anymore and the AI is a lot better than the base game.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just amnesia for me today $6.80. After being disappointed in the past few days of sales, it's great to have something i really wanted get a discount.:lol

Wessiej said:
Yup it totally is.

It really isn't.

It's one of the most improved sequels i've played actually - the first game was by and large a total piece of shit, I won't deny that. It was all over the place, janky and looked and ran terribly.

By comparison, Dog Days is at the very least a mindless but entertaining cover shooter. The auto shotgun is awesome, the 360 controller support is tight, and it looks pretty nice too once you remove the shit Youtube filter.

At £3.74 it's a steal, even if it is short.

Truespeed

Anyone have any impressions on Archon? The original was such a classic, but it looks like they've taken it in another direction.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Basileus777 said:
You'd probably be better off going with HOI3. It's the more modern game, with a superior interface and better tutorials. With the Semper Fi expansion and the latest patches, the game isn't so buggy anymore and the AI is a lot better than the base game.

Thank you very, very, very much :)
So HoI III it is then. including all Updates.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Someone convince me to get Dead Space. It's one of those games I'd been marginally interested in for forever and despite being a big sci-fi nerd never picked it up.

Just as a heads up the HoI III complete pack is $14 but that includes lots of DLC sprite packs that just provide some new unit sprites to visually spruce things up a bit, they don't improve the gameplay or provide anything extra. If you are like me and you played HoI II with just the NATO unit icons (which is actually the best way in my book) then just pay $10 to pick up Hearts of Iron III and Semper Fi individually as they are both $5 each. Then just use that $4 you saved to buy VVVVVV + Winterbottom or something.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
shagg_187 said:
From the looks of it, it's extra vehicles sprites; shit loads of extra vehicles sprites (over 100). If you think over 100 vehicles sprites are worth the extra $5 then go for it! :p

It's useless. It's just skins, really. The game already has 100s of sprites/skins.
I like how their are screen shots of the Soviet Music pack that are sheets of music over the base game, but your are right, while only one is called a sprite pack, they all seem to be sprite packs.

I think at the very least Semper Fi (A $5 expansion) would be needed.

I mean, just the first few things sounds important.

* Players can now define their own Theatres with a simple dragbox system
* The new Order of Battle Browser allows quick and easy reorganization of the entire Command Hierarchy
* The Command Hierarchy is now directly represented on the map
* A new Air Superiority map mode makes strategic air warfare easy
* At game start, each country now gets to choose its own hidden Victory Conditions. Can your enemies guess your secret agenda?

TheFightingFish said:
Just as a heads up the HoI III complete pack is $14 but that includes lots of DLC sprite packs that just provide some new unit sprites to visually spruce things up a bit, they don't improve the gameplay or provide anything extra. If you are like me and you played HoI II with just the NATO unit icons (which is actually the best way in my book) then just pay $10 to pick up Hearts of Iron III and Semper Fi individually as they are both $5 each. Then just use that $4 you saved to buy VVVVVV + Winterbottom or something.

Yep. That's what I recommend as well. Don't get the complete set if gameplay is all you care about. There are 100s of sprites already in the game and these are just extra sprites. Buy HonIII and Semper Fi for the complete package! ;)

Oreoleo

mikespit1200 said:
Someone convince me to get Dead Space. It's one of those games I'd been marginally interested in for forever and despite being a big sci-fi nerd never picked it up.

Playing it on hard, it was my GOTY 2008. And my opinion means everything, of course.

It won't scare the pants off of you, but the gameplay is a perfect evolution of Resident Evil 4 and does a good job keeping you tense and on the edge of your seat.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheFightingFish said:

Indeed. Thanks for the advice.

Drkirby said:
I like how their are screen shots of the Soviet Music pack that are sheets of music over the base game, but your are right, while only one is called a sprite pack, they all seem to be sprite packs.

I think at the very least Semper Fi (A $5 expansion) would be needed.

I mean, just the first few things sounds important.

Semper Fi is definitely needed, especially since Paradox doesn't patch the base game anymore. The other stuff like the sprite packs and the music are just (rather pointless) cosmetic changes.

I need your help Gaf, I just gifted Amnesia but it didn't appear on the persons account. Whats odd is that on my steam profile it did say I have gifted it. I am not sure on what topic I should contact steam, or if the person who was to get the gift should contact on my behalf.

John

ElectricBlue187 said:
How is the PC version of Dead Space? It's in my gamely queue I dunno if I should bother or not
get it if you've got a 360 controller and won't mind playing a shooter with analog sticks.

ElectricBlue187 said:
How is the PC version of Dead Space? It's in my gamely queue I dunno if I should bother or not

It's a good port other than the messed up and laggy mouse controls. It works fine if you use a controller though.

storafötter said:
I need your help Gaf, I just gifted Amnesia but it didn't appear on the persons account. Whats odd is that on my steam profile it did say I have gifted it. I am not sure on what topic I should contact steam, or if the person who was to get the gift should contact on my behalf.

Check the gift status. If it says "redeemed" then well... it's been redeemed! If it says "pending", then you can resend it. Contact customer support if anything.

shagg_187 said:
Check the gift status. If it says "redeemed" then well... it's been redeemed! If it says "pending", then you can resend it. Contact customer support if anything.

shagg_187 said:
There is a resend button on the bottom-right of the window. You can click on it if the product is not redeemed. As you can see in my window, I cannot since the games have already been redeemed.

*edit*

Thanks for the help, I appreciate the effort I figured it out in the end.

By looking at it now it only says sent, and I can't resend it. I suppose I will contact customer support. So I hope it will be fixed :).

Toma

Rollo Larson said:
if you dont buy greed corps you need to slap yourself

Thanks for reminding me. Almost forgot with all the HoI interest in my head.

storafötter said:
It only says sent, and I can't resend it. I suppose I will contact customer support. Thanks for the help.

There is a resend button on the bottom-right of the window. You can click on it if the product is not redeemed. As you can see in my window, I cannot since the games have already been redeemed.

NDaHi.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
John said:
get it if you've got a 360 controller and won't mind playing a shooter with analog sticks.

Works fine with M/KB as long as you don't use the in game V-Sync option. In fact the mouse aiming makes the whole dismemberment mechanic much easier.

John

Sinatar said:
Works fine with M/KB as long as you don't use the in game V-Sync option. In fact the mouse aiming makes the whole dismemberment mechanic much easier.
so i've heard, but that didn't work for me :/

mikespit1200 said:

I got it last Steam sale and honestly, if it wasn't for the solid gameplay, I probably wouldn't have played it through to the end. It was mostly the fact that after the first hour the games "scares" are unimaginative and bland, and the plot consists of your character being ordered around by people over a radio the entire game. It's a good game overall, but don't go in expecting the next RE4.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Toss up between Greed Corp and Sword & Soldiers, since I only have 3.84 in my alloted Steam wallet. Sword and Soldiers looks a bit...well, to be needlessly insulting, Wii-ish. Simplistic. Like you just spawn stuff and watch stuff happen.

Whereas Greed Corp tickles my special Advance Wars spot. So, likely Greed Corp.

storafötter said:

Did you send it to his email or to his steam account? Have him check his email. Make sure you sent it to the right email address.

Lyphen said:
Toss up between Greed Corp and Sword & Soldiers, since I only have 3.84 in my alloted Steam wallet. Sword and Soldiers looks a bit...well, to be needlessly insulting, Wii-ish. Simplistic. Like you just spawn stuff and watch stuff happen.

Whereas Greed Corp tickles my special Advance Wars spot. So, likely Greed Corp.

Own a PS3/360? Then download the demo for both and judge it for yourself! :)

I <3 Memes said:
Did you send it to his email or to his steam account? Have him check his email. Make sure you sent it to the right email address.

I sent it to their account, I am talking to the person now and I have had experience with gifting in the past without trouble. It is probably just a rare circumstance happening.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
stuminus3 said:
Is this confirmed with the Steam versions? As far as I know it's not the games that don't work, it's the Starforce DRM... surely this has been removed from the Steam versions? There's no mention of it on the store pages. :-/
The games work fine on Win 7. I beat both on a Win 7 rig.

Recommendations:
-Brothers in Arms trilogy is great, particulary Hell's Highway. They really perfected the mechanics in the series at that point and the game looks amazing on PC. They have a ton of visual variety with almost every level having it's own color scheme. The older two aren't quite as good as the shooting kinda sucks in them, but they are still worth it for the story.

Also, the series is almost a puzzle game where you have to figure out the best ways to position your men in each shootout. The games can be very hard if you suck at this.

-Dead Space. Plays fine with a mouse & keyboard with D3Doverrider for me, but it pretty much is game breakingly easy and I would recommend using a pad to get back the proper challenge. It's a similar difficulty curve break to the one in Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. Other than that the game is fucking awesome. I played a level each play session and it felt perfectly paced that way. It runs great on mid-levels PC and looks stunning.

Owzers

hmm i didn't see that Amnesia is $4.80 if you own a Penumbra game. Penumbra came in the first Humble Bundle, which just got a steam key. Too bad i'm too afraid to play games like that :p

storafötter said:
I sent it to their account, I am talking to the person now and I have had experience with gifting in the past without trouble. It is probably just a rare circumstance happening.
NDaHi.jpg

That said: Here's an semi-ultimate guide for today's Steam deal:

Amnesia:
$4.60 if you own Humble Bundle or any Penumbra game. Must have title! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmXOIbY3dA
Hearts of Iron 3: Buy it separately. The only DLC worth it is Semper Fi (consider it a massive massive patch since the game will be pretty bleak without it).
Brothers is Arms: ALL titles are individually 75% off.
Quake Collection: Be advised; Quake II most likely will NOT work. Quake III can be somewhat buggy.
Dead Space: If you own 360 controller and don't mind playing on it; GREAT! If you don't, prepare for some mouse lag. EDIT: As mentioned, get D3DOverrider to fix this issue.
Swords and Soldiers; Greed Corp: Own a PS3/360? Download the demo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom