• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
demosthenes said:
I KEEP ASKING FOR feedback and nobody is giving any. It looks just like Castle Crashers, what is it?

From what I played on the 360, it's like Dungeons and Dragons (the capcom beat 'em up) but with the Alien Hominid art style.

stuminus3

Bonfires Down said:
So Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood don't work on windows 7?
Is this confirmed with the Steam versions? As far as I know it's not the games that don't work, it's the Starforce DRM... surely this has been removed from the Steam versions? There's no mention of it on the store pages. :-/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sir Garbageman said:
Someone pitch Swords and Soldiers to me. I mean it's only $2.50, whats another game on the 20 game deep back log?
Its an RTS, like Starcraft or such, except that its sidescrolling and you don't take direct control of your units. Gather gold, research technology, and send your minions off on their tireless quest to march to the other side of the screen and slaughter anything that gets in their way. Its really fun, got a decent campaign and the multiplayer is a blast.

kinggroin said:
From what I played on the 360, it's like Dungeons and Dragons (the capcom beat 'em up) but with the Alien Hominid art style.
Um, its not a beat-em-up at all. I don't think its even on 360, are you talking about CC?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Toma said:
Repost because of still no answer:

Hearts of Iron II Complete for 7 or Hearts of Iron III Complete for 14?
Impressions from people who played both?
Which one would be easier to get into?

There must be SOMEONE on gaf who played them.
People on Gaf do not play Paradox games.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is Dog Days really THAT bad if you enjoyed K&L until the war scenario?

kinggroin

Banned
Toma said:
One is 70ish and the other one at 55 average.

Ehhh. Not that good a comparison. And you asked for a 10 bucks free game, so I doubt you'll find someone willing to gift you 10$ of garbage.

?

CM is 61 metacritic (5.5 user) and sniper is only 5 points lower.

BTW, anyone NOT buying Amnesia (who don't own it), have forfeited all rights to post in any future, "Where are the horror games" threads.

The_Technomancer said:
Um, its not a beat-em-up at all. I don't think its even on 360, are you talking about CC?

Yep. Thinking of CC. My fault. Got Sniper begging on the brain, cant think straight.

Great day, but only Amnesia for me as I own most everything else. I would have gotten the Quake pack in a heartbeat if it included IV, but alas it's only the oldies.

Ataturk

ashbash159 said:
Hmm I might get VVVVVV unless someones says why I shouldn't.

Also does it have Xbox 360 controller support?
Get it, great platformer with a sweet soundtrack. Might wanna pay a bit extra to get the 2D pack with 4 other games though.

No controller support, but it works well using the arrow keys.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
kinggroin said:
?

CM is 61 metacritic (5.5 user) and sniper is only 5 points lower.

BTW, anyone NOT buying Amnesia (who don't own it), have forfeited all rights to post in any future, "Where are the horror games" threads.

I was referring to gamerankings. Which shows the better scores (deservedly) to CM :p

Corto

Toma said:
Repost because of still no answer:

Hearts of Iron II Complete for 7 or Hearts of Iron III Complete for 14?
Impressions from people who played both?
Which one would be easier to get into?

There must be SOMEONE on gaf who played them. I couldnt find any comparison online.

Toma, do like I did. If the price is not a factor, III is bigger than II so it must be better! :lol Go with the III.

Okay so I got Amnesia, and gifted it to my girlfriend, Swords and Soldier HD (wanted it for a while), Greed Corp. Considering The Ball as it looks fun ,but have to try the demo first too see if the pc can run it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Drkirby said:
People on Gaf do not play Paradox games.

Its a shame. I actually consider picking up the whole Paradox Pack to check everything out if I am not picking up Hearts of Iron today. An insight on the Hearts of Irons until tomorrow would be really helpful :)

Ceebs

storafötter said:
Okay so I got Amnesia, and gifted it to my girlfriend, Swords and Soldier HD (wanted it for a while), Greed Corp. Considering The Ball as it looks fun ,but have to try the demo first too see if the pc can run it.
The Ball is an Unreal Engine (UE3 I believe) game. If you can run anything else that uses UE3 it should run fine.

Toma

Corto said:
Toma, do like I did. If the price is not a factor, III is bigger than II so it must be better! :lol Go with the III.

If the price wouldnt be a factor, I just would buy the damn Paradox Pack for 60€ :p
II had the better overall reviews but III came out years after and could be better than II just with raised expectations and raised standards dragging down the score. Sigh.

JohngPR

Anyone know if to get the discount on Amnesia, you have to have a Steam activated version of Penumbra? I'm assuming yes, but I recent purchased the Penumbra Collection from Amazon Games for $2.50

MBison

Sigh.. I bought Amnesia earlier today thinking there was no chance it would go lower than 9.99.

Guess there's no recourse for that :)

I guess the strategy is to wait until the last day to buy stuff you want in case it magically appears on a daily sale?

Grr.

52club

Thinking Swords and Soldiers and Greed Corp are going to be mine by the end of this 24 hour period.

Hoping the Potato isn't a lie, and holding off for Amnesia

epmode

Ataturk said:
No controller support, but it works well using the arrow keys.
Joy2Key works fine with my Saturn USB pad. Much, MUCH better that way.

I think the lack of controller support has to do with the whole Flash thing.

Hearts of Iron 3 was a fairly broken mess last time I played it, but that was before the expansion and the latest patches. But qualifying these games for someone who hasn't played a HOI game is pretty difficult. I don't know how much the completely broken supply system and crazy ahistorical stuff that happens in HOI3 matters to a beginner. HOI2 was great, but I'm not sure how it and the engine it runs on really holds up nowadays.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Toma said:
I was referring to gamerankings. Which shows the better scores (deservedly) to CM :p
Yeah, the difference between the two is people who hate on Cooking Mama say "I don't like this idea" but it still has people who like it, and other people who like it but rate it low because there isn't much content for the money. Meanwhile, Sniper pretty much unanimously has everyone saying "This is a donkey balls attempt at the concept" despite wanting to like it.

I wasn't talking about scores, I was talking about reading the reviews.

Ceebs said:
The Ball is an Unreal Engine (UE3 I believe) game. If you can run anything else that uses UE3 it should run fine.

Thanks for the answer, I suppose I will run it fine but I am downloading the demo just incase. :)

Bufbaf said:
Is Dog Days really THAT bad if you enjoyed K&L until the war scenario?

I beat Kane & Lynch 2 recently and enjoyed it. It's a pretty short game, though obviously for $5 that doesn't matter much. The actual controls and gunplay are much improved from the first game (I played through both with a 360 controller btw). And the game has a very unique style that runs great on my machine (athlon II X4 3.1ghz, and Radeon 6850 at 1680x1050). Pretty much 60fps all the way through except for a few spots

The story is pretty straightforward, but it does a lot with the style that kept me interested.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Today is a good day.
For Gabe

That's Amnesia (£3.12 because I own Penumbra: Overture off the Humble bundle), Swords and Soldiers and Plants vs Zombies GOTY bought. All for a total of less than £8, nice.

Toma

Basileus777 said:
Hearts of Iron 3 was a fairly broken mess last time I played it, but that was before the expansion and the latest patches. But qualifying these games for someone who hasn't played a HOI game is pretty difficult. I don't know how much the completely broken supply system and crazy ahistorical stuff that happens in HOI3 matters to a beginner.

Lets put it this way. I always wanted to play these games because of their ridiculous grand scheme. I at least want to try getting into them, so the more painless introduction would help. I dont care that much about how 1:1 the historical stuff is. Is the AI believable? Good tutorials? Bugs? (If I know HoI III was a buggy mess on release I might find a review on the internet stating whether those bugs were fixed)

Salaadin

JohngPR said:
Anyone know if to get the discount on Amnesia, you have to have a Steam activated version of Penumbra? I'm assuming yes, but I recent purchased the Penumbra Collection from Amazon Games for $2.50

Is the Collection activated thru Steam at all...like are there any Steam codes that come with it that essentially make it a steam game?
If not, I dont think you get the discount. The discount only applies to games bought thru Steam or games bought elsewhere but activated on Steam...like some of the HIB games, Just Cause 2, Civ 5, etc.

If the discount applies for gifted versions, I can probably gift you Amnesia at the reduced price and you can paypal me the money. Up to you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is it worth it to pay the $9 for all the additional Content to HoI3, or would the $5 base game be good? Now I am wanting it.

Yaweee

I think it is better to get Paradox games from Gamersgate. I think there are generally difficulties with the Steam versions in requiring only Steam expansions, and some added hassles with getting mods and beta patches working.

The Gamersgate versions have no DRM at all.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Re: Amnesia should I finish my playthrough of Penumbra Overture (just got past the mine, so not far) and should I invest in a set of 5.1 headphones for both.

benjipwns said:
Re: Greed Corp

Basically it's turn-based strategy, and your goal is to take tiles and eliminate your opponent.

You have your standard troops, and you can build bases to build new troops and cannons. But you can also build harvesters that give you more resources, but when they do, they slowly destroy parts of the map and anything you or the enemy has on those parts when they are eventually destroyed is lost.

The layouts of the maps can sometimes make it more of a puzzle game as you try to best utilize sections of the map for resources but also the best way to take out your opponent in the fewest moves. You may want to just take their territory with the troops by building tons of them, or wait for them to harvest down to the lowest level and fire on them with the cannon which causes a chain reaction and destroys all the weak tiles wiping out lots of their forces in one shot. And so on.

Has a campaign, also offline/online skirmish. Plus achievements and leaderboards if you're into those things.

Runs flawlessly for me at 1080p. It even runs on my crappy laptop which has integrated Intel graphics, not well of course, but playable even if the turns take a while to process and the framerate isn't the best. (It's turn based, so still playable.)

Not really, but Defense Grid was once my GOTY and I like Greed Corp a lot, so take that for what you will.

Great writeup. Sounds like something I would enjoy.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
soul creator said:
I beat Kane & Lynch 2 recently and enjoyed it. It's a pretty short game, though obviously for $5 that doesn't matter much. The actual controls and gunplay are much improved from the first game (I played through both with a 360 controller btw). And the game has a very unique style that runs great on my machine (athlon II X4 3.1ghz, and Radeon 6850 at 1680x1050). Pretty much 60fps all the way through except for a few spots

The story is pretty straightforward, but it does a lot with the style that kept me interested.
Now that sounds more like it :)

Weenerz said:
Use google, or youtube. Do some research. No need getting upset because someone won't do the leg work for you

Wasn't really upset, just pointing out I had already asked like 2 or 3 times to give some info on it.

Drkirby said:
Is it worth it to pay the $9 for all the additional Content to HoI3, or would the $5 base game be good? Now I am wanting it.

From the looks of it, it's extra vehicles sprites; shit loads of extra vehicles sprites (over 100). If you think over 100 vehicles sprites are worth the extra $5 then go for it! :p

It's useless. It's just skins, really. The game already has 100s of sprites/skins.

That said, from what I've heard/seen: Semper Fi is a must! Here are the additions:

* Players can now define their own Theatres with a simple dragbox system.
* The new Order of Battle Browser allows quick and easy reorganization of the entire Command Hierarchy.
* The Command Hierarchy is now directly represented on the map.
* A new Air Superiority map mode makes strategic air warfare easy.
* At game start, each country now gets to choose its own hidden Victory Conditions. Can your enemies guess your secret agenda?
* HQs under AI control now have separate aggressiveness stances for Land, Air and Naval operations.
* Countries can request specific actions from their allies for unprecedented cooperation.
* Technological progress can now be shared with your allies.
* Brigades can now be upgraded to more advanced types (e.g. Infantry to Motorized, or Artillery to Self Propelled Artillery.)
* New 1940 scenario fills a gap in the game's timeline.
* Hundreds of new events added to immerse players in their own versions of World War II, comparing the unfolding alternate timeline to real history.
* Mighty warships can be designated the Pride of the Fleet, which is both an opportunity and a risk.
* The AI has been improved in all areas, at all levels. It will defend in depth, marshal big naval taskforces and launch multi-stage invasions. It will perform more historical diplomacy and pursue a strategic production strategy.
* Multiplayer for up to 32 players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom