• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will buy shatter, missed it too many times and at that price how can you say no?

Need for Speed HP already down to £18 on steam, what are EA smoking? because they need to smoke more of it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SteelAttack said:
I would have gotten EUIII but I can't manage to run the demo. Maybe it's a W7 issue, but it crashes every single time.
If you're into trying to discover Australia starting from South America with the Portuguese, but failing because pirates fuck your shit up, EUIII is your game.

I love it, but it's got some issues. Balancing is one, another is that the tutorials crash for me all the time. The actual game works well though (at least on XP, lol).

As for the demo, have you tried enabling compatibility mode?

syoaran said:
Ok, I'm confused. Steam says I have GTA4 complete edition already, but when I try and access the stories - it just opens games for live.... Confusing.

Same. I dont think we can buy complete edition if we already own GTA4 vanilla.

Stitch

Gold Member
nothing for me today. already have oblivion, gta 4 complete, shatter, l4d2. activision stuff is too expensive. fuck you kotick!

biocat

Anyone play Hegemony before? It looks like the only thing I might bite on today. I already have all the EUIII stuff off Impulse, as well as Oblivion and L4D2 on Steam.

Does War for Cybertron have a big online community on the PC? I imagine it doesn't, but the game on consoles is completely and utterly dead. I enjoyed it far too much earlier this year and would like to play the MP again, but I doubt this relatively high price point (For a Steam Sale, anyway) is going to help matters any.

CaLe said:
I really recommend people try Star Trek Online. They have made HUGE improvements to the game since the release.

It's also quite a stunning game visually.
I had some interest during beta but one day it crashed and that was it. How is he monthly fee. I just reactivated my EVE account because new character editor releasing in jan. But like I said I enjoyed the beta of STO..

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
For now I think I will just stick with Hot Pursuit, although does anyone have any experience with Hegemony? It seemed interesting. Might bite on it anyway for $3. I am also disappointed that R.U.S.E didn't get a bigger discount. I think I will wait a while on it (since it would be sitting in my backlog anyway).

LQX

Anyone by chance have gift Amnesia they will sell? Fucking steam order wouldn't complete.

ColonelSkills said:
Does War for Cybertron have a big online community on the PC? I imagine it doesn't, but the game on consoles is completely and utterly dead. I enjoyed it far too much earlier this year and would like to play the MP again, but I doubt this relatively high price point (For a Steam Sale, anyway) is going to help matters any.
If the game is dead on consoles you really think it would get better on PC?

poppabk said:
What does L4D2 add over L4D1?
Scavenge mode and some new effects, not a lot. But worth buying just for Scavenge mode and Hard Rain's campaign.
LovingSteam said:
I won't be buying it since the PC won't be receiving future DLC and apparently there is hardly any customization in terms of settings.
Fair enough on the DLC front but it doesn't really need much in terms of customisation. It's Criterion, it's a really solid game. Some of the environments look a bit plasticy at times but a very good port. Not worth passing up over the ability to customize graphical settings. I mean it's what you would expect from Criterion, above HD and at a decent frame rate on modest hardware.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
wmat said:
With Penumbra, you have to swing shit and stuff, and that doesn't really work out all the time in my experience. It helps to toggle fixed view (Shift or something, look it up), so that you have a cursor as a reference for your swings instead of nothing. If push comes to shove, you can also always throw stones at breakable shit. Right-click for that (also configurable).

Amnesia has the same mechanics, but greatly refined. It's a huge difference. I never experienced any clunkiness. Well, that is except for turning wheels, that never worked great for me, but that is the one thing that's only okay instead of awesome. The rest of the mechanics feel very natural to me.

A big plus in Amnesia is that you can't fight enemies, so you're not asked to swing pick-axes at wolves or something like that. Because that never really felt good or even remotely sensible in Penumbra.

Basically, Amnesia is what Penumbra wanted to be in most regards. It's a real step up in all dimensions except maybe the inventory, but that wasn't broken to begin with.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will buy the Penumbra games from Amazon (thanks, Colonel Colon) and then buy Amnesia next time.

graywolf323

LovingSteam said:
I won't be buying it since the PC won't be receiving future DLC and apparently there is hardly any customization in terms of settings.

same, not worth $30 to me for that crap

$7.50 maybe...

Proc

No deals really jump out at me today.

I'm thinking about grabbing Europa just to see what all the fuss is about for that price.

LCfiner

I'm tempted to get hot pursuit but i don't know if it'll run better on my machine than on the consoles.

I'm using a quad core i5 iMac, 8 GB ram, with the weak 4850m graphics (512 MB). I'd like to run the game at 1080p if possible at close to 60 fps while in bootcamp.

If the most this card could muster is 30fps with detail at med with no AA, then I'd rather just get the console version or wait till next year when a) I have a new PC built for gaming and b) the game is down to 20 bucks.

any thoughts from those who have played this on mid range or low end PCs? I google searched for benchmark numbers but came up with zilch

Salsa

Visualante said:
Scavenge mode and some new effects, not a lot.

eh.. better AI, Melee weapons, more Special Infected, New modes, Weekly mutations (different "rules" you need to follow in games, like chainsaw-only, etc), etc etc etc

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Now I feel bad that a friend gifted me EU3 when it was $10. I also tried to play a game and my head was dizzy from the complexity. ; ;

caliblue15 said:
Do i need to play Left 4 Dead 1 to play Left 4 Dead 2?
Nah man they're really arcadey. Left4Dead 1 is completely dead online anyway. You're missing out on very little having not played it, except the lovable characters.
SalsaShark said:
eh.. better AI, Melee weapons, more Special Infected, New modes, Weekly mutations (different "rules" you need to follow in games, like chainsaw-only, etc), etc etc etc
Didn't care for much of that new content and didn't even manage to finish most of the campaigns as I hated the characters. I think the extra melee stuff over complicated it, the new special infected were uninteresting besides the spitter. Didn't try out the mutations, that sounds fun. Overall I think I had more fun with L4D at it's peak.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
So I can't get GTA4 DLC cos I own GTA4?

Fucking hell.

You have to buy the Stories. Or maybe buy in-game from MS? Not sure about the second. I purchased the Stories for 7.50 on Steam a while ago. It's really stupid, however, that they're separate. Two huge files/folders that can't be combined. Even though GTA IV has the DLC built into the start menus.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
NFS was cheaper a week or so ago on D2D. $25 and i think with a promo code it brought it down to $20. Now that it's not available steam throws it up for $30 :lol

I'm tempted by it but i will see what Ausgaf does first. As for the DLC, i can't stand that shit so i personally don't care.

Ifrit

Dammit, I just wanted the episodes of liberty city since I already played and finished GTA4 on 360 guess, how much HDD does it need?

Manik

biocat said:
Anyone play Hegemony before? It looks like the only thing I might bite on today. I already have all the EUIII stuff off Impulse, as well as Oblivion and L4D2 on Steam.

I was going to bite on Hegemony too, after watching the trailer, but after a quick read of their forums (http://www.longbowgames.com/forums/forum/?id=4) it looks like the current version will soon be replaced with a 'gold' version (and, from what I can see, as a seperate game for $30).

Still, for the super-low price, I guess it's not really something worth getting hung up over.

If anyone has any impressions then they'd be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom