• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused

Banned
stuminus3 said:
This means you can't possibly own NOLF 1 and 2, which means no matter where you're getting your games from, your collection is not complete!

Never said my collection was complete, though, and as a gamer my collection will never be complete. Just saying that I managed to convert my collection as is into a Steam Collection, All digital.

I still need plenty of games (on and off Steam) to collect and play before I'm done.

Artofwar420 said:
I know it's the least popular option but I hope they do a recap. I still feel shitty for missing on King's Bounty.

I expect sunday to be a best of week 2 type deal.

Toma said:
More SimCity. But its actually a third type of game and a bit different from both of them. Similar games were Children of the Nile, Casear, Pharaoh etc. If you dont know any of these games SimCity is probably the closest comparison I can give though.

Edit: Settlers would be a bit similar too. Maybe a mix between settlers and SimCity.

I would say CivCity is essentially a simplified Settlers. Which is not a bad thing. You have a lot more control over small details than SimCity, but not as much as say Settlers (you can't place buildings at any angle and you're not manually upgrading them with add ons or what kind of food they are receiving and such, you just need to make sure that the people living and working in a certain area have access to everything they need to advance).

CivCity seems to allow for both micromanagement and kind of a looser 'let them manage themselves' type game. For instance I like that it lets you set what goods certain warehouses can hold and such, so you could build a farming district, or a stone/marble district, or whatever, but you really don't need to do that in order to do well.

So far i'm loving it. Probably the best 99 cent game I've ever bought.

stuminus3

confused said:
Never said my collection was complete, though, and as a gamer my collection will never be complete. Just saying that I managed to convert my collection as is into a Steam Collection, All digital.
No what I meant to say was buy NOLF 1 and 2 or I'll chop your PC up with an axe.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
wayward archer said:
I would say CivCity is essentially a simplified Settlers. Which is not a bad thing. You have a lot more control over small details than SimCity, but not as much as say Settlers (you can't place buildings at any angle and you're not manually upgrading them with add ons or what kind of food they are receiving and such, you just need to make sure that the people living and working in a certain area have access to everything they need to advance).

CivCity seems to allow for both micromanagement and kind of a looser 'let them manage themselves' type game. For instance I like that it lets you set what goods certain warehouses can hold and such, so you could build a farming district, or a stone/marble district, or whatever, but you really don't need to do that in order to do well.

:D
More people joining my cause. Maybe we'll indeed end up with a hype. :lol

Leatherface

This sale...it's....it's killing me. Will power is at an all time low. Each day I say i will not buy anything yet I still buy. I try not to look at the sales. I TRY GAF!! Please steam. PLEASE. Have mercy on me!! I have a mortgage!! I have responsibilities! *cries*

Kabouter

wayward archer said:

I would say it's far closer to Caesar, in that it's basically a Caesar III clone done by an obviously less talented developer than Impressions. (no shame in that, Impressions was brilliant and made several truly classic city builders) The game certainly isn't bad, but it's just not good enough either to get me to play it for more than an hour or two.

Edit: Oh, just read the above discussion. Well, I don't think the Settlers similarities are that striking, it's certainly far closer to SimCity. You do have more control over small details, but essentially you are doing the exact same thing, providing for needs to attract higher quality citizens who pay more taxes. In The Settlers franchise, your entire economy is built to sustain soldiers and never really needs to meet constant demands of a population, it just needs to feed into the next chain of production. In the case of the Settlers II for instance: Farm > Wheat > Mill > Flour > Baker > Bread > Mine > Gold.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder if people who are a fan of DD & Steam and rebuy their PC retail collection digitally would also rebuy their console games (including current generation ones) on MS's or Sony's services if they were available (for the consoles).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kabouter said:
I would say it's far closer to Caesar, in that it's basically a Caesar III clone done by an obviously less talented developer than Impressions. (no shame in that, Impressions was brilliant and made several truly classic city builders) The game certainly isn't bad, but it's just not good enough either to get me to play it for more than an hour or two.

Yeah of course its like Caesar. Its exactly the same genre. And yes it is indeed worse than Caesar III (which isnt too difficult to achieve) but a perfect game to get into this genre. I need to admit it might be a bit easy in the early levels for veterans. Gets harder (and better) after a few levels though. Not that fair to judge the game based on the tutorial levels (basically the first 4-5)

Eh, sorry that came out a bit grumpy. Didnt mean it that way. :lol

Weenerz

Banned
Minsc said:
I wonder if people who are a fan of DD & Steam and rebuy their PC retail collection digitally would also rebuy their console games (including current generation ones) on MS's or Sony's services if they were available (for the consoles).

Perhaps if they were as cheap as Steam sale games. I don't usually buy DD games at full price unless I really want the title (Valve/Blizzard games).

Minsc said:

Perhaps if there was some guarantee they would be compatible on the next gen of consoles. I know all my PC games will work for at least the next 10-15 years.

Kabouter

Minsc said:
I wonder if people who are a fan of DD & Steam and rebuy their PC retail collection digitally would also re-buy their console games (including current generation ones) on MS's or Sony's services if they were available (for the consoles).
No, I think one of the main advantages of Steam for me is the easy access. Steam is just there, I need to click an icon and I can play any game I've installed. For console gaming, I'm already turning on the TV, turning on the console etc. Also getting a disc then isn't so much extra effort. Plus, I don't own all that many Xbox 360 (my only console) games that I really love and would want to rebuy.

stuminus3

Minsc said:
No, but I have repurchased the PC version of many of my 360, PS3 and Wii games on Steam. :lol

Heck I've even re-purchased the PC version of iPhone games on Steam because the price was silly cheap.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I really just want a steam iPhone app or a decent mobile site. I've eaten most of my bandwidth this month refreshing steam when I'm not in front of a PC. :lol

1-D_FTW

John said:
yeah, they're pretty expensive everywhere i've seen them.

Ebay has them cheap fairly often. I sold my original copies years ago, then re-picked up NOLF 2 a couple years ago when Big Lots was selling it for a couple dollars. I've yet to replay it from that purchase.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hoping this doesn't get swallowed in this thread. Since the recent sales and my fully accepting Steam as my lord and savior I would like to add some of the disc based games that I have.

Crysis Maximum, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Civ 4&5.

Is this possible? I have tried the "add a game to steam" I've entered in the product codes for each of the games but for each one I get a message that it is invalid.

Anyone wanna help a new Steam is God convert?

Only game I currently own on console and steam is Monday Night Combat because of one main reason, I love it :p

I am always tempted to pick up the pc versions when they drop 80% in these kind of sales but at the same time think it's a waste and end up passing.

Volcynika

It's now about 20 minutes to the next sale, so I expect the late people that slacked off to go "IS THIS GAME WORTH IT" or "CAN SOMEONE HELP ME BUY THIS" before the sale changes. :p

Hoping this doesn't get swallowed in this thread. Since the recent sales and my fully accepting Steam as my lord and savior I would like to add some of the disc based games that I have.

Is this possible? I have tried the "add a game to steam" I've entered in the product codes for each of the games but for each one I get a message that it is invalid.

All of those games but Civ V will not register on Steam. Civ V is Steamworks, it requires it.

Toma

RbBrdMan said:

Those games have a different product code for steam than on your package. I wonder about Civ5 though. That code should work. Isnt it steamworks?
(Hint: If no one answers, ask these questions in 4-5 hours again, in a few minutes things get rough.)

Joe Molotov

RbBrdMan said:

Of those games, only Civ 5 can be activated on Steam.

Here's a list of the retail CD-Keys that Steam will accept: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

confused

Banned
Minsc said:

No I wouldn't, because I have no faith in consolemanufacturers extending those digital rights longer than the following generation.

With Steam at least I have a feeling my collection will still be there 25 years down the line.

RbBrdMan said:

Unfortunately, only a handful of games can be activated on Steam like that. This is the list: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

1-D_FTW

RbBrdMan said:

You can only add game codes that use Steamworks (or rare exceptions like M&M).

You can add games to your library so they show up there, you just can't download them from Steam. This is a very nice feature for not forgetting about games that are installed. And if they don't require a cd in the drive, you can easily launch them from your library just like any Steam other game. Just go Games - Add a non-Steam game to my library - pick the .exe you want to add.

Salsa

Xdrive05 said:
Fingers crossed for another Killing Floor or Borderlands.

Again ? not gonna happen, at least until the last day

hoping for fuckin FAR CRY 2!

although i dont even know if i have any money left D:

meh. i can't buy anything today. fucking gas station and my Card. it's like they won't show how much they took out yet even though I used the card tuesday. I need to know what's my remaining balance :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm waffling on Penumbra Black Plague Gold Collection and Amnesia. I got the first Penumbra in the Humble Bundle sale and was excited to play it since I'd heard good things, but the interface is so clunky that I'm having difficulty manipulating objects (e.g., breaking through the boards at the very beginning of the game. For some reason, the game only recognized one of my hits and now every other hit I make just bounces off. :lol). I want to see the rest of the Penumbra story, but given that the interface probably hasn't changed, I'm worried it will be an exercise in frustration. And Amnesia uses the same interface as Penumbra, right?

Kabouter said:

Edit: Oh, just read the above discussion. Well, I don't think the Settlers similarities are that striking, it's certainly far closer to SimCity. You do have more control over small details, but essentially you are doing the exact same thing, providing for needs to attract higher quality citizens who pay more taxes. In The Settlers franchise, your entire economy is built to sustain soldiers and never really needs to meet constant demands of a population, it just needs to feed into the next chain of production. In the case of the Settlers II for instance: Farm > Wheat > Mill > Flour > Baker > Bread > Mine > Gold.

Hmmm I haven't played Caesar III before but Civcity does have a military aspect to it later in the game (I just now got to it in the campaign), so you're not doing the exact same thing over and over. You actually have a lot of options on city planning, you can specialize your city and trade for what you lack for instance, or try to make completely self sufficient districts, etc. Seems to be a lot of different ways to develop your cities.

I have not played Impressions or Tilted Mill (ex-Impressions guys) games so I can't say for sure how this stands up but I've been eying Hinterland, Mosby's Confederacy, and Children of the Nile (all Tilted Mill) which are all on sale right now on Steam.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ah well, thanks for the answers about steam activations. I guess I just figured if it's also sold on steam retail copies could be activated there.

Toma

wayward archer said:
Hmmm I haven't played Caesar III before but Civcity does have a military aspect to it later in the game (I just now got to it in the campaign), so you're not doing the exact same thing over and over. You actually have a lot of options on city planning, you can specialize your city and trade for what you lack for instance, or try to make completely self sufficient districts, etc. Seems to be a lot of different ways to develop your cities.

I have not played Impressions or Tilted Mill (ex-Impressions guys) games so I can't say for sure how this stands up but I've been eying Hinterland, Mosby's Confederacy, and Children of the Nile (all Tilted Mill) which are all on sale right now on Steam.

Yeah thats what I mean. The game gets waaaay better after the initial levels. Dont base your opinion solely on the first levels.
And Children of the Nile is the same genre as CivCity, but with more complicated production chains (Loved it) and I tried Hinterland last night.. Not so sure whether I can recommend that (yet)
There are a LOT of flaws. Definitely not an easy entry into the game, even though I am sure it gets better if you stick with it.

Edit: He is still right though about the focus of the game. Settlers focus is the military, where CivCity has the focus on City building. Doesnt mean it cant get complicated though. I failed a level today for the first time.

luxarific said:
I'm waffling on Penumbra Black Plague Gold Collection and Amnesia. I got the first Penumbra in the Humble Bundle sale and was excited to play it since I'd heard good things, but the interface is so clunky that I'm having difficulty manipulating objects (e.g., breaking through the boards at the very beginning of the game. For some reason, the game only recognized one of my hits and now every other hit I make just bounces off. :lol). I want to see the rest of the Penumbra story, but given that the interface probably hasn't changed, I'm worried it will be an exercise in frustration. And Amnesia uses the same interface as Penumbra, right?

Amazon has all three Penumbra games for $2.50: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HKS14W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
luxarific said:
With Penumbra, you have to swing shit and stuff, and that doesn't really work out all the time in my experience. It helps to toggle fixed view (Shift or something, look it up), so that you have a cursor as a reference for your swings instead of nothing. If push comes to shove, you can also always throw stones at breakable shit. Right-click for that (also configurable).

Amnesia has the same mechanics, but greatly refined. It's a huge difference. I never experienced any clunkiness. Well, that is except for turning wheels, that never worked great for me, but that is the one thing that's only okay instead of awesome. The rest of the mechanics feel very natural to me.

A big plus in Amnesia is that you can't fight enemies, so you're not asked to swing pick-axes at wolves or something like that. Because that never really felt good or even remotely sensible in Penumbra.

Basically, Amnesia is what Penumbra wanted to be in most regards. It's a real step up in all dimensions except maybe the inventory, but that wasn't broken to begin with.

Xzior

RK6Rg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom