• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

careksims said:
Wow... nothing at all. I should have jumped at the RE5 sale :(

was it 5 or 10 bucks ?

i kinda regret that too (although nothing i can do about it since i wasnt home), specially if it was 5 :/

jediyoshi

kai3345 said:
Hmmm. Oblivion for sure, but I'm on the fence about GTA IV complete. All I'd play is Gay Tony, since I beat Vanilla + Lost and Damned on 360. Is it still worth 10 bucks if I just play Gay Tony?

I'm in the exact same boat. I just checked and buying BOGT separately as DLC on the 360 is 1600/$20 so yeah, it'd seem worth it.

Minsc said:
Is it really good? I'll try it eventually, but I wouldn't dismiss Oblivion w/ mods either.

Oblivion w/ mods is an incredible game, the best (only) way to play Oblivion. Nehrim is more like a total conversion, nothing from Oblivion remains I believe, so you could play Nehrim, and you could play Oblivion w/ mods, and you'd be playing two very different and incredible games (assuming Nehrim holds up).

Yeah, it's really good. I played probably 150+ hours of vanilla Oblivion between 360 and (unmodded) PC. This time, rather playing Oblivion again but with mods, I just went straight to Nehrim. FWIW, it incorporates a lot of the fixes that the popular OOO and MMM (and other) mods to for vanilla, only this time it also builds a completely new world with awesome new music and a plot you could actually call interesting. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Kayhan said:
It isn't necessary to spend hours modding Oblivion

Install OOO and Qarls High Res texture pack, and these two mods alone will improve the gameplay and graphics enormously.

I always thought it was the EyeCandy Compilation mod that did the most for the graphics. ;)

It's almost bigger than Qarl's Texture pack!

Lumine

Hmm is GTA4 complete worth it? I already have vanilla on PS3, but I haven't played it much to be honest. Perhaps better IQ and having the expansions might change that I don't know.

Dambrosi

Banned
Nothing here for me today, thank goodness.

The only things I'm curious about now are Civilization IV Complete (never played a Civilization game before, I'm told it's better than V in many ways, and DAT PRICE), and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (only because all you fuckers got me curious about it!) :lol

Other than those two, I'm done with this sale. I got everything I wanted and then some from it. Great sale; now to play some of last year's bargains :lol

Stallion Free said:
Watch as Criterion releases Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: Big Surf City and leaves PC out in the cold again like last time.

I don't understand why they do this with DLC.
Yeah, I noticed that when I downloaded my free copy this...Tuesday, was it? What, did Criterion forget to program the PC versions of the DLC or something? :lol

An-Det

I really wish I could remove my separate GTA4 and Episodes and buy Complete so I didnt have to have double the installed files. It's not a huge problem, but definitely annoying since they already launch through the same menus to begin with.

Double-dipping on Oblivion so I can go discless (getting the Deluxe edition for $2 more since it comes with all the DLC instead of jut KOTN and SI). I'm interesting in Grand Ages and Hegemony, will check those out when I get home.

Salaadin

Can someone link me to the best Oblivion mods? I want to know what Im getting with mods before I buy.
If theres a "no more ape-like townspeople" mod, then Ill probably buy it for that reason alone :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks for the heads up about ENB mod not working with the Steam version of GTA4... maybe I'll buy it anyway and hope that when I finally play it the issue is fixed (it is probably something impossible to fix, but whatever)!

Artofwar420

Like some of you I already own GTA IV, but it says I already have the Complete Edition (I don't).

I do however see that I can add the Complete Edition in my cart. The question is, will I now have TWO entries (I don't mind, I just want the episodes for cheaper) in my Steam games list?

Anyone try this?

dejan

Amnesia, Hearts of Iron III: Semper Fi, Hegemony, Grand Ages: Rome Gold and Europa Universalis III Complete for me today.

Parham

Banned
Lumine said:
Hmm is GTA4 complete worth it? I already have vanilla on PS3, but I haven't played it much to be honest. Perhaps better IQ and having the expansions might change that I don't know.
The episodes are much more entertaining than vanilla GTA4.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
CaLe said:
It's an MMO.
Okay, I'll point it out some more:

"Credit Card required. Paypal not accepted".

I don't know how the rule of thumb is overseas, but this is a pretty bold move for European MMOs :(

Darklord

Banned
Bufbaf said:
Okay, I'll point it out some more:

"Credit Card required. Paypal not accepted".

I don't know how the rule of thumb is overseas, but this is a pretty bold move for European MMOs :(

Trust me. You don't want Star Trek Online, anyway.

mikespit1200 said:
Can someone explain mehrim to me? Slightly interested in oblivion but I've been turned off by Bethesda games in the past. A friend keeps bugging me to try them again. Kinda feel like my fantasy game is fine with the witcher.

Nehrim is basically an entirely different RPG built with pieces of Oblivion. You Install Oblivion, then d/l Nehrim and install it. The installer will go into your Oblivion files and copy over all you need, and in the end you'll have both games on your drive ready to run whenever (they share a directory for saves, though, so be careful saving/loading).

It starts off with you having grown up as a monk in an abbey, and receiving a mysterious letter telling you to show up somewhere, alone, and tell no one. If you fail to show, you'll die, because you already know too much...

Nehrim does away with vanilla Oblivion's level synch system, where monsters and loot found in regions you visit are matched to your own, meaning that you never go somewhere totally out of your range, but also that you never enjoy that risk and reward of finding loot that totally outclasses your current level. Nehrim also changes the UI, inventory, and combat systems of Oblivion, for the better. Magic and blocking are more important, and the inventory and map are actually usable.

That about covers it; Nehrim is a hell of a huge RPG available to anyone who owns Oblivion, and it's free! I've been playing it for about two weeks now, and been loving every second. http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge

Woooo! EUIII complete. It's always nice when a game that you were going to pick up for the basic sale price goes even cheaper. Might use the extra cash saved on Oblivion. I don't really have a desire to sink a bunch of time into a really long RPG. But for $10 I might grab it to try modding it and just running around and looking at all the prettyness.

Salaadin said:
Can someone link me to the best Oblivion mods? I want to know what Im getting with mods before I buy.
If theres a "no more ape-like townspeople" mod, then Ill probably buy it for that reason alone :lol
Also google the site Dead End Thrills. It is a user on GAFs website and has a great write up awesome pictures and good mod list to bring this game t life. Im going to actually try OOO as soon as I get my new pc components in next week.

Damn, just bought Episodes off Amazon for 7.50

Oh well, EVERYTHING doesn't have to be connected to Steam....right....!?

Sgt.Pepper said:
$10 for Oblivion? Oh come on.
If it came with all the mods and enhancements already built in I'd be right there....it seems like too much work to get the best out of it

IrishNinja

Volcynika said:
:lol

Traded Bloodlines for Singularity with a friend in Euro-land. I got it for $20 now, which was fine for me.

:lol this is an awesome idea, and about as good a deal as we're gonna see: you get the game, and a fellow GAFfer gets a discount. this should be like a new initiative!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
SalsaShark said:
was it 5 or 10 bucks ?

i kinda regret that too (although nothing i can do about it since i wasnt home), specially if it was 5 :/
It was 10. Also, no DLC and all that.

Carm

Maybe would have bought NFSHP at 15-20, price is to high knowing the pc version will more than likely get screwed out of any good DLC. I really want Singularity, but that price is kinda insulting for a game that bombed at retail, still tempting though. *sigh*

Just a couple of days left, come on any Telltale lurkers, put up a complete pack, I have money here waiting!

I spent hundreds of hours with ES4O on 360 when it came out, but I never played the expansions. I look forward to playing it all again on PC, That game was BEAUTIFUL in 2006 but I am wondering if it holds up on PC in 2011. Are there any texture mods or otherwise that would enhance the look and feel of this game for me?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
When I installed Crysis, it asked me to install both Punkbuster and Gamespy. I declined on both since I have little interest in the multiplayer. Am I able to install these at a later date? For future reference, if I'm not interested in the multiplayer of a game I can decline the extra multiplayer files without repercussions, correct? I hate Punkbuster and am trying to avoid it and Gamespy.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Arol said:
How hard is EU3 to get into?

I've always wanted to play a grand-strategy type of game.
It's a tough game, no doubt. You'll have to work through all tutorials and figure some scenarios out to get some sense of how to implement a strategy. Once you've got the town upgrading mechanics down and know how to properly use your funds though, it's really a matter of policy, meaning you either make the game hard for yourself (warfare, spreading yourself thin) or not.

Pause often.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
$10 for Oblivion? Oh come on.

Edit: How much is GTAIV? It's not available for me.

Oblivion GOTY no mods = 75-100+ hours
Oblivion GOTY w/ mods = 75-100+ hours (+ modding time)
Nehrim = 50+ hours?

250 hours of gameplay for $10, not bad.

MikeE21286 said:
If it came with all the mods and enhancements already built in I'd be right there....it seems like too much work to get the best out of it

You can get Qarl's + OOO running in like under and hour, same for Nehrim (that's probably even faster). Right there that's well over 100 hours of new gaming.

Fuck I really want Need for Speed but the idea of not getting DLC is worrying.

What type of DLC is likely to release with this game anyway?

Weenerz said:
Stuck at work yet again, can we g et a week 10 listing?

Salaadin said:
Do we have a list of all of todays deals? My phone is acting up when I tried to load mina steam page.

RUSE $33
Left 4 Dead 2 6.79
Singularity 24.99
Hegemony: Philip of Macedon 3.00
Grand Ages: Rome 1.99 or $4 with expansion
Imperium Romanum Gold: $2
Europa Universalis 3 - $5
Shatter 2.50
GTA IV Complete Edition $10
Elder Scrolls Oblivion 9.99 (has knights of 9 and shattered Isles, deluxe version has all minor DLC for $12.49)
Transformers war of cybertron 19.99
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 29.99
Star Trek Online 7.50

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Day 10 Steam Deals
Left 4 Dead 2 | $6.79: 66% off
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Pack | $10.00: 75% off
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: GOTY Edition | $9.99: 50% off
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit | $29.99: 40% off
Transformers: War For Cybertron | $19.99: 50% off
Star Trek Online: Digital Deluxe Edition | $7.50: 75% off