• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loxley said:
Fuck, I was planing on grabbing the Oblivion GotY for my new PS3 (since I'm not into modding that game at all on the PC and have zero problem using a controller) but at that price...shit...so tempting...I need to think about this.

Either way, L4D2 is mine :D
If you reaaaally want to, you can just play it on PC unmodded with a controller and it'll be better than the PC version.

gotee12

I was doing so good today. 1:00pm hit, I jumped on Steam and was able to turn my back on all of today's sales. Then I visited this thread and saw all the Oblivion mods/Nehrim talk...

Twelve dollars and fifty cents later... (sigh)

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
PatzCU said:
I miiiiiiight have to pick up EU3. I've never played any of them but I'm a big fan of strategy games.

Gotta admit, I tried it once and just couldn't get into it. I love me some Civ, but Europa Universalis doesn't mess around. Really well made, don't get me wrong, but prepare to put some serious thought into things. If you like turn-based strategy though, I'm sure you'll love it.

Sinatar said:
Just Grand Ages Rome: Gold for me today.
Me too. And Europa Universalis Complete. And Patricians 3. And Civ City Rome. And and and.

They really roped me in.

I'm holding out for Napoleon: Total War GOTY w/ or w/o Empire before the end of this sale.

Proc said:
+1.

Star trek online is probably worth checking out at that price. Hmmmm. Am I that guy who will dismiss a game for being too big of a download?
Star Trek Online isn't bad, but that's not exactly an amazing price for it. The physical Collector's Edition is currently $6.99 at Amazon. Different exclusive items than the Steam version, plus a small art book and a communicator pin.

For that matter, looks like Amazon's download version is $5 right now, too.

As someone who already has the game, I'm sadly wondering how much I consider that turret to be worth. :lol

Scotch

GTA IV: Complete and Europa Universalis III bought! I'm now at €75.46, glad it's over soon... not so much because of the money, but because of the epic backlog.

Lkr

Sgt.Pepper said:
Weird that L4D2 is $6.79 when I got for $5 a few weeks ago.
It is $5 if you already own L4D apparently

Artofwar, what do you mean? When I went to buy it, it says I already own it, even though I don't.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Scotch said:
GTA IV: Complete and Europa Universalis III bought! I'm now at €75.46, glad it's over soon... not so much because of the money, but because of the epic backlog.

Same.. but its still two more full sale days (plus the last recap day). PLUS there are quite a few games I will pick up if they arent lowered further.

Freedom Force 1+2, Children of the Nile etc..

Artofwar420

Lkr said:
It is $5 if you already own L4D apparently

Artofwar, what do you mean?

Some people including me were unable to buy GTA IV Complete Edition because we already owned GTA IV vanilla, seems it was updated and now I can add it to my cart. A friend got it and he says it worked and now has two entries for GTA IV and the Episodes.

Though I don't know if those who are buying GTA IV CE for the first time only get ONE entry.

The main concern is the file size which for each GTA IV and the Episodes are 16GB for a total of 32GB.

cress2000 said:
Can there possibly be anyone else out there with L4D1 but still not L4D2? And wants to start a 4-pack ($3.75/ea)? I can't because I get charged sales tax.
I'd be interested, but I can't start because my steam has a "low violence" version.
Anyone else? Is the 4 pack really that cheap?

ksan

Thinking about EU3, but I'm greatly dissapointed that the expansion isn't bundled.
Tell me, is it worth another 5€ for the expansion? I'm going all-in or nothing :lol

Sgt.Pepper said:
Weird that L4D2 is $6.79 when I got for $5 a few weeks ago.

Kinda crazy though, it's been available for less than 10 bucks for like most of the 2nd half of this year. Such a fucking value of a game, even at the $35 most of us paid at release.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I own Episodes from Liberty City but not GTA4. What happens if I buy the collection?

Lkr

Artofwar420 said:
Some people including me were unable to buy GTA IV Complete Edition because we already owned GTA IV vanilla, seems it was updated and now I can add it to my cart. A friend got it and he says it worked and now has two entries for GTA IV and the Episodes.

Though I don't know if those who are buying GTA IV CE for the first time only get ONE entry.

The main concern is the file size which for each GTA IV and the Episodes are 16GB for a total of 32GB.
do you have to install both?

Looks like they fixed the L4D2 4pack, it had been $20. I'd be interested, but then again, I didn't really like the first one, so I don't really want it:lol

kai3345

Banned
wmat said:
In case anyone else needs it, here's my Greasemonkey script (I used jQuery 'cause I'm lazy):
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           NeoGAF Avatar Blocker
// @namespace      wmat
// @description    Block disgusting avatars on GAF
// @include        http://www.neogaf.com/forum/*
// @include        http://neogaf.com/forum*
// ==/UserScript==
var usernames   = new Array("Wraith RazieL"); // <-- The blocked guys' names

var GM_JQ = document.createElement('script');
GM_JQ.src = 'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js';
GM_JQ.type = 'text/javascript';
document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(GM_JQ);

function GM_wait()
{
	if(typeof unsafeWindow.jQuery == 'undefined') { window.setTimeout(GM_wait,100); }
    else { $ = unsafeWindow.jQuery; if(usernames.length > 0) execJQuery(); }
}

GM_wait();

function execJQuery()
	{
		for (var i=0; i < usernames.length; i++){
			$("a[class='bigusername']:contains('" + usernames[i] + "')").css('color', 'black').parent().parent().children().children().children("img").css('display', 'none');
		}	
	}
Add new avatars to be blocked to the "usernames" Array, like this:
Code:
var usernames   = new Array("Wraith RazieL", "wmat");

Shoutout to the guy who made the GAF Highlighter, I stole his jQuery init junk and the filter.
why is this in the steam thread?

Lkr

Dacvak said:
I own Episodes from Liberty City but not GTA4. What happens if I buy the collection?
It seems like you'll be stuck with an extra copy of the episodes and will be unable to gift them. If you are able to gift them, I'd be interested:lol

Artofwar420

Lkr said:
do you have to install both?

Looks like they fixed the L4D2 4pack, it had been $20. I'd be interested, but then again, I didn't really like the first one, so I don't really want it:lol

Short story: Whatever you have two of, you only have one now. Yes install separately, but I wonder if there exists a single install anywhere. Maybe people that don't own any GTA IV related content?

Lkr

no Hot Pursuit demo? Damnit, i wanted to see what the game was like and how well it ran!

I am still interested, someone sell me or not sell me on it. I don't understand the DLC issue as I thought Burnout Paradise had all the dlc? Or did you have to buy the Ultimate Box after buying the game originally?

Corto

Artofwar420 said:
So what's the word on Hegemony: Philip of Macedon?

Let me just redirect you to Troy Goodfellow's (owner and writer of flashofsteel.com) gameshark review.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3560/Hegemony-Philip-of-Macedon-Review.htm

He also mentioned it as one of the most under appreciated games of 2010:

http://www.gameshark.com/features/783/p_80/The-Most-Under-Appreciated-Games-of-2010.htm

I bought it just on his praise.

edit:
Drkirby said:
Now who is going to buy Europa so I have some people to play with.

WILL YOU BUY IT! *Points at YOU*

I did! I'm not very multiplayer inclined. But give some time to get familiar with it and we could schedule some games in the future. :D

Lkr

Artofwar420 said:
Short story: Whatever you have two of, you only have one now. Yes install separately, but I wonder if there exists a single install anywhere. Maybe people that don't own any GTA IV related content?
maybe I'll save $2.50 and buy it on amazon. I wish I could find a benchmark of it so I could compare the performance to GTA IV before I purchase :\

Volcynika

Lkr said:
no Hot Pursuit demo? Damnit, i wanted to see what the game was like and how well it ran!

I am still interested, someone sell me or not sell me on it. I don't understand the DLC issue as I thought Burnout Paradise had all the dlc? Or did you have to buy the Ultimate Box after buying the game originally?

The DLC issue is that Hot Pursuit PC is not getting any DLC.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Drkirby said:
Now who is going to buy Europa so I have some people to play with.

WILL YOU BUY IT! *Points at YOU*

There are quite a few people who bought it (as I did), it seems. Still needs a lot of tutorials and training to compete I suppose.

Oblivion with expansions and GTA IV complete for $20?

My wallet says no

but my heart says

Cool-Building.jpg

Artofwar420 said:

I'm buying for the first time and got two entries with a filesize of 32GB.

I looked over the sub £4 games list again just now and I am tickled for the keen pack, £2.20 for some good ol' classic retro love, i'm gonna do it!

Lkr

YianGaruga said:
Can someone tell me what the L4D2 4-pack costs now at the cheapest? I don't know if the L4D1 discount applies, that's why I'm asking.
It is $15 total for me. I own L4D1
Is the no DLC for Hot Pursuit confirmed or just rumor? Would it be free or paid DLC?

Babalu.

went with

left for dead 2
shatter
oblivion game of the year deluxe

man oblivion is looking mighty intimdating though. I want the best mods and stuff but seems i'll be doing a lot of research before even playing to find out whats best.

vocab

Lkr said:
maybe I'll save $2.50 and buy it on amazon. I wish I could find a benchmark of it so I could compare the performance to GTA IV before I purchase :\

Anything runs better than GTAIV. Even Aurora engine/Bethesda games. If there is one purchase I regret, it's GTAIV on steam. Securom, GWFL, Rockstar app. God that game is pure bloatware, and it will never get installed again.

Lkr

vocab said:
Anything runs better than GTAIV. Even Aurora engine/Bethesda games
I would agree that anything runs better than GTAIV, but do Bethesda games really run that poorly? My brother runs them pretty well on a Pentium D

Toma said:
Same.. but its still two more full sale days (plus the last recap day). PLUS there are quite a few games I will pick up if they arent lowered further.

Freedom Force 1+2, Children of the Nile etc..
I'm pretty sure there is only one day of new sales left. The holiday sale ends on January 2nd, meaning that the next set of deals start in 22 hours, and then the final recap sale in 46 hours.

Toma

Babalu. said:
went with

left for dead 2
shatter
oblivion game of the year deluxe

man oblivion is looking mighty intimdating though. I want the best mods and stuff but seems i'll be doing a lot of research before even playing to find out whats best.

The last time I tried, I spend so much time preparing the game that I lost my interest to play it. Still have it modded on the harddrive, so when the next urge comes I am prepared :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
I already bought GOTY deluxe edition for $8.49 at the last Oblivion steam sale. Was evenm cheaper then.

I REALLY want a Tomb Raider pack, anniversary, legend, underword for the cheap.

MAKE IT HAPPEN BASED GABE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom