• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Foliorum Viridum said:
Everything on max, 2048x1152, my GTA4 runs at 60fps. Constantly.

Ya, maybe the benchmark. Because I hit 60 fps all day on that benchmark, and the actual game runs like dog shit.

kamspy said:
You've read a vocab post. They contain 50% negativity and 50% hyperbole.

Thanks

AndyMoogle said:
I'm pretty sure there is only one day of new sales left. The holiday sale ends on January 2nd, meaning that the next set of deals start in 22 hours, and then the final recap sale in 46 hours.

ehm, recap sale? Is that a selection of everything that went before or everything in one go?

vocab said:
Ya, maybe the benchmark. Because I hit 60 fps all day on that benchmark, and the actual game runs like dog shit.
Nope, the actual game. I did the first few missions yesterday and FRAPS didn't dip below 55.

The only things I don't have turned up are draw distance etc. I'll have to experiment with them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
vocab said:
This is 100% true. The benchmark isn't even remotely representative of actual game performance.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The only things I don't have turned up are draw distance etc. I'll have to experiment with them.
Get ready to kiss 60 fps goodbye.

Artofwar420

1-D_FTW

Mafia 2 may be very pretty and have nice atmosphere, but people weren't kidding about the missions. It's pretty shocking just how boring it can get.

Stallion Free said:
This is 100% true. The benchmark isn't even remotely representative of actual game performance.

Get ready to kiss 60 fps goodbye.
Heh, yeah, that's what I heard. When I start playing again properly next week I'm going to tweak it to see if I can find a sweet spot. I really like the game at 60fps though...

For reference:
My settings and also in-game fps shot.

So yeah, it's definitely possible to get these results as my hardware isn't the best of the best.

I bought Europa Universalis 3, knowing very well that it's a game for the hardcore strategy gamers, while I mostly have played games like Civ and Colonization, and Total War games to some degree. This is my first try at playing it.

1. Notied how downright ugly it is. I don´t expect this to be Civ 5 in terms of graphics, but come on Paradox, can´t you hire someone with some kind of sense of art direction? But ok, this is not about graphics.
2. Brought up the first tutorial. Very well, useful information.
3. Tried the second one, crashed to windows.
4. Brought up the second tutorial. got useful information.
5. Tried the third tutorial, crashed to windows.
6. Realized at I could only look at one tutorial per session. Learned to live with it.
7. Tried a trial mission. to get a feel of the controls.
8. Was supposed to move the army in Altmark to Brandenburg. The problem was, that I could not move the army in Altmark, since that region didn´t seem to belong to me.
9. Perhaps I had missed something? Let's try every thinkable alternative.
10. Five minutes passes. Alt + F4.
11. Will try it again later. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Heh, yeah, that's what I heard. When I start playing again properly next week I'm going to tweak it to see if I can find a sweet spot. I really like the game at 60fps though...

For reference:
My settings and also in-game fps shot.

So yeah, it's definitely possible to get these results as my hardware isn't the best of the best.
The view distance is the single largest upgrade from the console version, consoles were set to 20 and you have it set to 26....

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I planned to get Oblivion on sale because playing it on my PS3 w/Dual Shock doesn't cut it. But I got Dragon Age Ultimate and The Witcher so I think I'll hold off for now. It will be awhile before I get to Oblivion.

Stallion Free said:
The view distance is the single largest upgrade from the console version, consoles were set to 20 and you have it set to 26....
Like I said, I'm going to experiment.

I'll sacrifice that for other stuff ultimately, though.

Kayhan

nextgeneration said:
Is Crysis in 64 bit really supposed to run better than the 32 bit version? The steam version that I'm playing on runs much smoother than the 64 bit. I used this method below to run the 64 bit version:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221787&page=5

Maybe that's the reason Steam only offers the 32 bit version for download? I'm seeing a 15 - 20% drop in fps reduction with the 64 bit version, which is unacceptable.

I have never heard what the supposed advantage to running Crysis in 64bit is, and I don't recall anyone saying they had better performance.

Kayhan

Foliorum Viridum said:
Like I said, I'm going to experiment.

I'll sacrifice that for other stuff ultimately, though.
View distance is not that essential considering how it eats VRAM and slaughters performance. Main thing is to keep textures on High to enjoy the best textures in any game ever.

Attention Europa Universalis Enthusiasts:

I'll probably pick up Heir to the Throne on your recommendation, but is that For the Glory worthwhile? And does HttT add functionality to the game as a whole?

kamspy

Kayhan said:
I did.

And GTA IV has the greatest textures of any game ever.

AmrA 2 comes close, but is wildly inconsistent.

Hellshadow said:
I'm thinking about getting Singularity...yay or nay? Anyone played it?

Ya know how Darksiders jocks Zelda and God of War to great effect? Singularity does the same melding call of duty and bioshock together.

Kayhan said:
View distance is that essential considering how it eats VRAM and slaughters performance. Main thing is to keep textures on High to enjoy the best textures in any game ever.
Yeah, exactly. I'll take the things up as high as I can before my framerate dies, but keeping everything on high is my main priority :)

Kayhan

Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, exactly. I'll take the things up as high as I can before my framerate dies, but keeping everything on high is my main priority :)
oops, I fixed my post above. I obviously mean View distance is NOT so important.

Lkr

kamspy said:
You've read a vocab post. They contain 50% negativity and 50% hyperbole.

GTA4 runs fine on modern hardware. Dual Core and 8800, not so much.
GTS 250 and quad core doesn't run it so hot either:lol

Frawdder

Hmm, tempted by Hot Pursuit but I think I will wait as I have quite a few games to keep me going for a while, will look for it during the next mid-year sale.

Also, EU3 for $5 is great for anyone that was curious, great game even though I don't fully understand everything.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kamspy said:

AmrA 2 comes close, but is wildly inconsistent.

Ya know how Darksiders jocks Zelda and God of War to great effect? Singularity does the same melding call of duty and bioshock together.
Biocock? Call of Buty?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kayhan said:
oops, I fixed my post above. I obviously mean View distance is NOT so important.
Low view distance can get pretty distracting when you drive at higher speeds. Which you spend a great deal of the game doing.

Stallion Free said:
Low view distance can get pretty distracting when you drive at higher speeds. Which you spend a great deal of the game doing.
I must admit, I do want to find a helicopter and shove it up to 100. :lol I love the view of the city on consoles, so it must be stunning like that...

Kayhan said:
I have never heard what the supposed advantage to running Crysis in 64bit is, and I don't recall anyone saying they had better performance.

Ok, good to know. You would think you'd getter performance out of the 64 bit version, but I guess not. I'll stick with the 32 bit version.

Wow, lots of great games today...too bad I own them all! Shatter is a staple; please buy it.

Some tempting games that are way too expensive. Interested in Grand Ages and Hegemony but having trouble finding impressions here in the thread...did anyone post any? While I'm at it...I tried to get some impressions of Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum vs. Railroad Tycoon 3 vs. Railroads! I have the last one, RT2 is super cheap but I don't mind shelling out a couple extra bucks for RT3 if it's vastly superior. What do you think?

Incidentally, EUIII "Complete" is sort of a misnomer, as it does not include the latest expansion, Divine Wind (released earlier this month). That won't be available on Steam until January at the earliest.

No6

CecilRousso said:
I bought Europa Universalis 3, knowing very well that it's a game for the hardcore strategy gamers, while I mostly have played games like Civ and Colonization, and Total War games to some degree. This is my first try at playing it.

1. Notied how downright ugly it is. I don´t expect this to be Civ 5 in terms of graphics, but come on Paradox, can´t you hire someone with some kind of sense of art direction? But ok, this is not about graphics.
2. Brought up the first tutorial. Very well, useful information.
3. Tried the second one, crashed to windows.
4. Brought up the second tutorial. got useful information.
5. Tried the third tutorial, crashed to windows.
6. Realized at I could only look at one tutorial per session. Learned to live with it.
7. Tried a trial mission. to get a feel of the controls.
8. Was supposed to move the army in Altmark to Brandenburg. The problem was, that I could not move the army in Altmark, since that region didn´t seem to belong to me.
9. Perhaps I had missed something? Let's try every thinkable alternative.
10. Five minutes passes. Alt + F4.
11. Will try it again later. :)
This was me experience as well, except the laptop I was playing on was slow enough that restarting took long enough to make me quit and uninstall. Kinda sad that it hasn't been fixed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Ok, good to know. You would think you'd getter performance out of the 64 bit version, but I guess not. I'll stick with the 32 bit version.
64 bit version of Cysis was one of the first game EXE to do that. From what i know the 64 bit version didnt give any practical advantage. There were more problems i think. Also i dont even know if the patches they released were compatible with the 64 bit version. I remember feeling like they discontinued that EXE

Chiggs

Gold Member
BloodySinner said:
So... how shitty does GTAIV run? I'm running a 955 quad core at 3.2Ghz, along with a 9800GT and 4 gigs worth of ram.

On your setup, I wouldn't recommend running it. With a better video card, I might. But even then the performance is lackluster.

Manik

DeuceMojo said:
Attention Europa Universalis Enthusiasts:

I'll probably pick up Heir to the Throne on your recommendation, but is that For the Glory worthwhile? And does HttT add functionality to the game as a whole?

For The Glory is a separate game made with the EUII engine and based on the work of one of the mods for that game. I don't think you'd particularly gain anything from buying it if you've never played an EU game before - just stick with EU3 and one of the current mods for that (Magna Mundi Ultimate is my preferred choice, but there's a selection available in the official game forums).

The list of improvements that HttT makes is -

• Intriguing Casus Belli system, where wars have specific goals from start to finish.
• Monarchs now belong to dynasties, with far reaching effects on the diplomatic model.
• More involving and powerful Holy Roman Empire and Papacy options.
• Special diplomatic options for Republics.
• Set your National Focus in a province to enhance growth and strengthen your hold in the region.
• Permanent Terra Incognita removed and replaced with impassable regions.
• Cultural Tradition allows better advisors in the same way that Military Tradition allows better generals and admirals.
• Spheres of Influence simulate the Great Game of the major powers.
• More dynamic pirates. Issue letters of marque to plague the sea zones of rival nations.
• Monarchs need to uphold their legitimacy in the eyes of their subjects
• Many other additions and improvements.

And yes, this functionality is added across the board - you don't have to play a specific country / region to notice the changes.

CecilRousso said:
1. Notied how downright ugly it is. I don´t expect this to be Civ 5 in terms of graphics, but come on Paradox, can´t you hire someone with some kind of sense of art direction?

The latest expansion - Divine Wind - updates the map so that it's on a par with Hearts of Iron 3, which is a substantial upgrade. But yeah, the map before that was definitely starting to show its age...

Kayhan

BloodySinner said:
So... how shitty does GTAIV run? I'm running a 955 quad core at 3.2Ghz, along with a 9800GT and 4 gigs worth of ram.
The quadcore CPU is fine but the 512 MB GPU is problematic. GTA IV loves it some VRAM....

So who wants a present? First to quote with the name of the original game Shatter is based on gets a copy. There are two acceptable answers to this question.

echoshifting said:
So who wants a present? First to quote with the name of the original game Shatter is based on gets a copy. There are two acceptable answers to this question.
Breakout, I already have it but I'll gift it to a friend :D.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So any impressions of Grand Ages: Rome? How about the indie RTS, Hegemony: Philip of Macedon?

naib

Damn. Too slow.

So, I went to gift PvZ to my g/f and accidentally gifted her Amnesia and Dead Space as well. Kinda ruins the gesture when she knows I bought 2 games for myself. Oops.

Managed to get Amnesia resent to myself, but she'd already 'opened' Dead Space.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Breakout, I already have it but I'll gift it to a friend :D.

That's correct, though I would much prefer to gift it to a gaffer who hasn't played it yet...someone who can help me fill out my leaderboard a bit. ;p
Personally I'm not too crazy about this new trend of stand-in gift grabs. Sorry, hope you understand why that is :(

Unless nobody else responds within the next few minutes, then may as well ;p

Blizzard

Banned
Leonsito said:
Just noticed that FUEL is 6€ ...
As a counterpoint to the earlier opinion, I wanted to throw in my view. If FUEL is $5-7.50, I'd say it's worth it if you like exploring an open world, especially if you have a few friends to drive with. There are lots of points to get to and vehicles to unlock, and the weather is pretty cool, along with the changing time of day.

Unfortunately our old online thread has been deleted, where we used to have a GAF freeride group, but I know at least one group that still does freerides in FUEL occasionally. What you can do is start from a common warp-in point, pick a leader or whatever, have mumble or Steam chat set up as the voice client, and then just take your little group of drivers across the world to unlock vistas, or liveries, or special cars. I remember one time in particular where I think we had 8 people, mostly from GAF, all lined up in one spot. This one random internet guy who seemed to play a lot came over next to us, and basically followed our tour out through the wilderness for hours. I can upload some of my old screenshots if you're curious.

It's neat to be able to see some huge mountain far in the distance, and know that if you want to, you can drive up to the top of that mountain if you just drive for 20-30 minutes straight, with no loading.

For anyone considering it, I recommend two sites. First, this RPS article about it:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/22/fuel-around-the-world-in-eight-hours/

Secondly, TheOctagon's guide to setting up a sort of supersampling that makes the game look better, if you have a high-end graphics card:
http://deadendthrills.com/guides/look-good-modded-fuel/

Finally, TheOctagon has a gallery of the game. The shots are pretty cool, though I cannot guarantee that they are all at playable framerates (no offense to him, just saying). Also, there are debug camera modes and such if you like playing around with that.

Now for my request! Has anyone tried the Hegemony game? Maybe I just missed it, but I haven't seen opinions so far, and reviews suggest it's a mediocre/decent game. It looks worth it for $3 to me. (I don't have Steam download access right now, so I'm not trying the demo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom