• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
echoshifting said:
That's correct, though I would much prefer to gift it to a gaffer who hasn't played it yet...someone who can help me fill out my leaderboard a bit. ;p
Personally I'm not too crazy about this new trend of stand-in gift grabs. Sorry, hope you understand why that is :(

Unless nobody else responds within the next few minutes, then may as well ;p
You can add me any how.

Wired

Xzior said:
Oh crap, I'm on the verge of buying EU3 and I think it will end with me buying the Paradox Complete Pack... ;_;

Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Especially considering that you'll never play any of those games, come on now be honest.

darkpaladinmfc said:

Thanks for being cool about it man :D Tryin' to spread the love around gaf a bit.

vocab and naib, because of the confusion regarding my pickiness I'll give you both copies, just send a PM with your ID or a friend request to echoshifting :D I saw you both respond. I won't get it to you right away as I'm on a train and losing internet again.

~Kinggi~ said:
64 bit version of Cysis was one of the first game EXE to do that. From what i know the 64 bit version didnt give any practical advantage. There were more problems i think. Also i dont even know if the patches they released were compatible with the 64 bit version. I remember feeling like they discontinued that EXE

Yeah, I see no benefits, other than a noticeable drop in performance with the 64 bit. Maybe that's why Steam doesn't let you download the 64 bit version.

Blizzard

Banned
D'oh, I want opinions on Hegemony AND the Grand Ages: Rome games. $4 for the Grand Ages game and the expansion seems reasonable, but is the earlier Imperium Romanum game worth getting? It looks nice but the score isn't good.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Blizzard said:
D'oh, I want opinions on Hegemony AND the Grand Ages: Rome games. $4 for the Grand Ages game and the expansion seems reasonable, but is the earlier Imperium Romanum game worth getting? It looks nice but the score isn't good.

I would tell you but I cant try. still at 22%. Download for 4 hours now :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
lastplayed said:
Singularity not available in NZ. :(

Would have liked to check that out.

How about the steam thread of equal distribution? Had a similar problem and someone helped me within 1 minute.

vocab

echoshifting said:
Thanks for being cool about it man :D Tryin' to spread the love around gaf a bit.

vocab and naib, because of the confusion regarding my pickiness I'll give you both copies, just send a PM with your ID or a friend request to echoshifting :D I saw you both respond. I won't get it to you right away as I'm on a train and losing internet again.

Give it to someone else. Or just get the other guy a copy. Thanks anyway.

ArjanN

Nice to see Singularity finally available on Steam in my region. Bought.

That's actually what I like the most about Christmas Steam sales, which more or less forces them to release games like Singularity and Need For Speed on Steam for everyone.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I bought that sniper game yesterday out of curiousity and it's surprisingly fun. It reminds me a lot of the start of Far Cry where you are creeping around these islands and sniping patrols. The guns feel good and the bullet cam will never get old (though there is an option to turn it off). The AI can be dumb, but I kind of like that in my sniping games.

Edit: Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really on the edge with Oblivion. Is there any way to get it working properly with a 360 controller? I tried with my retail copy and I couldn't quite get it.

Petrie

Banned
echoshifting said:
That's correct, though I would much prefer to gift it to a gaffer who hasn't played it yet...someone who can help me fill out my leaderboard a bit. ;p
Personally I'm not too crazy about this new trend of stand-in gift grabs. Sorry, hope you understand why that is :(

Unless nobody else responds within the next few minutes, then may as well ;p

nvmd, that's what I get for forgetting to refresh the page

kinggroin

Banned
Stallion Free said:
So I bought that sniper game yesterday out of curiousity and it's surprisingly fun. It reminds me a lot of the start of Far Cry where you are creeping around these islands and sniping patrols. The guns feel good and the bullet cam will never get old (though there is an option to turn it off). The AI can be dumb, but I kind of like that in my sniping games.

Edit: Sniper: Ghost Warrior.

HA! See? And folks here laughed at me for begging for this game as a gift. Metacritic be dammed, this game is fun.

Jive Turkey said:
I'm really on the edge with Oblivion. Is there any way to get it working properly with a 360 controller? I tried with my retail copy and I couldn't quite get it.

Funny you should ask this; I was reading the Oblivion readme a couple of weeks ago, and they explained that the PC version is actually optimized for mouse, and so when you plug in a 360 pad, it doesn't work quite perfectly. It'll work, but it'll be off a little...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kinggroin said:
HA! See? And folks here laughed at me for begging for this game as a gift. Metacritic be dammed, this game is fun.
Oh yeah I ignore Metacritic. I like the engine they use and it looks pretty damn nice for being a budget title. It's the same engine revision used in the latest Call of Juarez.

Blast Processing said:
Funny you should ask this; I was reading the Oblivion readme a couple of weeks ago, and they explained that the PC version is actually optimized for mouse, and so when you plug in a 360 pad, it doesn't work quite perfectly. It'll work, but it'll be off a little...
I think I checked a few months ago and there is something on their website that tells which config settings to change the configuration file to make the Xbox360 pad to work.

spons

Gold Member
kinggroin said:
Was surprised to see it even hitting the top sellers list even though it's branded as one of the worst games of 2010. People really seem to easily pull the trigger on sales.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
spons said:
Was surprised to see it even hitting the top sellers list even though it's branded as one of the worst games of 2010. People really seem to easily pull the trigger on sales.
Look, I can be a jaded motherfucker, but any game that brings back memories of Far Cry 1 is a win in my book.

I mean if you live by the critics, you are fucking insane.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh yeah I ignore Metacritic. I like the engine they use and it looks pretty damn nice for being a budget title. It's the same engine revision used in the latest Call of Juarez.
HA, I thought it reminded me of Bound in Blood! The nice graphics were the biggest draw for me. By the way, I wonder if that means there are custom maps out there? Bound in Blood actually had a pretty nice editor if I recall correctly, and the devs made their own official site for maps, tutorials, or whatever. I thought it was a classy move.

You say the AI is dumb, but does that mean that the reviews/opinions were wrong when they said AI could see you and kill you from really far away?

Also, Stallion, have you ever played the WWII Sniper Elite game? I wondered what you thought about the gameplay in that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
HA, I thought it reminded me of Bound in Blood! The nice graphics were the biggest draw for me. By the way, I wonder if that means there are custom maps out there? Bound in Blood actually had a pretty nice editor if I recall correctly, and the devs made their own official site for maps, tutorials, or whatever. I thought it was a classy move.

You say the AI is dumb, but does that mean that the reviews/opinions were wrong when they said AI could see you and kill you from really far away?

Also, Stallion, have you ever played the WWII Sniper Elite game? I wondered what you thought about the gameplay in that.
I say dumb in that they are really slow to react to shots/there buddies being brutally killed next to them. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I haven't had any bullshit AI aim at all. Then again I am playing stealthy (you know, how the game is supposed to be played) so I haven't encountered a ton of shooting at me.

I played the Sniper Elite demo way back in the day and I loved the bullet cam in that too, but I got bored really quickly when I picked it up on Steam recently.

Fuel's really good for freeride multiplayer. Give me a shout if you set up some races together and I'll reinstall. Was fun rolling around with GAF.

ArjanN

Stallion Free said:
I say dumb in that they are really slow to react to shots/there buddies being brutally killed next to them. I am playing on the hardest difficulty and I haven't had any bullshit AI aim at all. Then again I am playing stealthy (you know, how the game is supposed to be played) so I haven't encountered a ton of shooting at me.

I played the Sniper Elite demo way back in the day and I loved the bullet cam in that too, but I got bored really quickly when I picked it up on Steam recently.

I got a disturbing sense of satisfaction in Sniper Elite when I shot some guy in the stomach and then waited for his buddy to come drag him to safety so I can shoot both of them.

Talked myself out of buying both Oblivion and GTA IV. I dislike Bethesda's RPGs for FPP combat, and quantity over quality. Still love Morrowind though.

GTA IV on Steam is just poor.

I missed on Darksiders, damn. I hope it will be back on Sunday.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Xzior said:
RK6Rg.jpg

Yes please, Except $5 USD.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Blizzard said:
Same. Not interested in Imperium Romanum though, it just looks like an earlier version of Grand Ages: Rome to me.

Blizzard

Banned
ArjanN said:
I got a disturbing sense of satisfaction in Sniper Elite when I shot some guy in the stomach and then waited for his buddy to come drag him to safety so I can shoot both of them.
I would actually do that in Lead and Gold...snipe someone, wait until I hear them calling for help on alltalk and their buddy running up to revive them, then shoot the buddy in the head. :lol

I hate to be Mr. "Will it run on my busted computer!?!" but I figure this is the easiest place to ask:

Grand Theft Auto IV

What sort of real system requirements does this game have? 2.4ghz C2D with a mid-level gfx card going to cut it?

I am wondering if I should just break down and snag this for PS3 when I see it onsale instead of messing around on the PC. I just remember playing _so_ much more of both Vice City and San Andreas when I finally got them for PC.

CrashPrime said:
I hate to be Mr. "Will it run on my busted computer!?!" but I figure this is the easiest place to ask:

Grand Theft Auto IV

What sort of real system requirements does this game have? 2.4ghz C2D with a mid-level gfx card going to cut it?

I am wondering if I should just break down and snag this for PS3 when I see it onsale instead of messing around on the PC. I just remember playing _so_ much more of both Vice City and San Andreas when I finally got them for PC.
I'm pretty sure you need a quad core to run it properly as it's not well optimised. I've only played in on 360 though (even though I bought it during last years Steam sale on PC :lol).

kamspy

CrashPrime said:

Grand Theft Auto IV

A dual core and 8800~4850 GPU will get you a console frame rate

A Quad Core and a 260/4790 will get you ~45 fps with good settings.

I have a 955x4 and a 275 GTX and get ~45 fps with everything on high and sliders to around 65. Best looking PC game I've ever played too.

Petrie

Banned
Petrie said:
When doing the "exec 360controller" in developer console to enable a controller, do I have to do it every single time I boot up the game? No way to just save it?

Quoting from a few pages back since no answer yet.

Nothing for me today, though now I regret getting Oblivion when I did (since I've barely touched it). Need for Speed looks great, but $30 is a tough sell given my backlog.

And lol @ Activision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom