• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Zeitgeister said:
random speculation:

I'm guessing the next sale is going to have Darksiders in it. There would little reason to keep it out of the THQ pack otherwise.
Darksiders already had a sale.

Lumine

Awww damnit. Someone posted that Sim City 4 doesn't run well on modern systems quite a few pages back. Well it seems he's right. :/
When I read that post I launched the game and everything seemed fine. However last night I actually started building a city and as soon as the first people started living in my residential zone, performance took a huge hit. Scrolling/moving over the map caused my FPS to drop unbarely low and it makes the rush hour missions unplayable. It likely gets worse when I actually try to build a larger city, but I don't know yet. :/

So, anyone know if there is a fix out there? Most of the parts in my PC were only bought like a month ago. A game from 2003 shouldn't be running like this. :(

Gibbo

Toma said:
Thats going to be hard :p
Steam ID?

TANBERN. I'm pretty new at this steam stuff (only signed up last week; but have already spent close to $40 bucks ;_;)

Anyway, let me know how to do this.

duckroll

Zeitgeister said:
random speculation:

I'm guessing the next sale is going to have Darksiders in it. There would little reason to keep it out of the THQ pack otherwise.

You already missed Darksiders for 10 bucks twice in this sale. I don't think it's going to show up again.

Dynoro

Lumine said:
Awww damnit. Someone posted that Sim City 4 doesn't run well on modern systems quite a few pages back. Well it seems he's right. :/
When I read that post I launched the game and everything seemed fine. However last night I actually started building a city and as soon as the first people started living in my residential zone, performance took a huge hit. Scrolling/moving over the map caused my FPS to drop unbarely low and it makes the rush hour missions unplayable. It likely gets worse when I actually try to build a larger city, but I don't know yet. :/

So, anyone know if there is a fix out there? Most of the parts in my PC were only bought like a month ago. A game from 2003 shouldn't be running like this. :(
Once it starts alt+tab and open task manager and set the cpu affinity for the simcity process to a single cpu

Ezahn

Ahem, I'm on a not-so-screaming PC (e8400, 8800 GT, 4 GB ram): do you think I should get the GTAIV sale pack? (I already have the original GTAIV on 360)

Trying to resist here... ^^

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The impressions on Grand Age: Rome might need to wait a bit longer. 77% now. Our internet is incredibly slow today. Steam says that it should still take around 40 minutes to download.
Gonna post impressions as soon as I can.

Stitch

Gold Member
Lumine said:

try to run it in software mode and set the shadows to low

Vastag

Lumine said:

In options change the renderer from hardware to software, that should be all.

Ydahs

Steam has been saying "Connecting Steam account: ..." for ages now and it doesn't change even if I restart the application. What now GAF?

So Amnesia is fucking awesome. Not so scary so far (and I scare easily), but I'm only an hour in. Exploring the castle and the voiced notes are the the highlights so far.

Headphones are a requirement. So is a dark room.

And I tell you what: maxed out the game actually looks really good IMO.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Holy shit at HoI3. Are you kidding me? I think my head is about to pop open. Jesus!

Not really complaining, it's more like I'm in awe.

Kayhan

wmat said:
Holy shit at HoI3. Are you kidding me? I think my head is about to pop open. Jesus!

Yeah, it is a challenge for your....lesser lights.

Bebpo

Banned
question: 1. does the GTA ENB mod that doesn't work with the steam version work with the Amazon download version of episodes from liberty city?

Episodes from Liberty city is down to $5 on amazon downloads atm. Since I already own the original GTAIV on steam it seems like a better deal, especially if I'd be able to use the ENB mod on it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bebpo said:
question: 1. does the GTA ENB mod that doesn't work with the steam version work with the Amazon download version of episodes from liberty city?

Episodes from Liberty city is down to $5 on amazon downloads atm. Since I already own the original GTAIV on steam it seems like a better deal, especially if I'd be able to use the ENB mod on it.

It isnt tied to any program, just the installer. I assume you can use it but I am not 100% sure. Would be worth a try to me.

and where is 2.? :lol

Kayhan

Bebpo said:

No, it doesn't.

The problem is the later patched versions of GTA IV won't work with ENB. This affects the episodes as well as GTA IV.

There may be some limited features of ENB that work with the episodes.

Bebpo

Banned
k, I guess I'll still pick it up since it's only $5. Shame about the ENB mod though...

Toma said:
It isnt tied to any program, just the installer. I assume you can use it but I am not 100% sure. Would be worth a try to me.

and where is 2.? :lol

deleted when I remembered the eps were standalone :p

wmat said:

Its awesome once you wrap your head around it. Took me several failed attempts to learn the game, but then that's usually how I learn :(

Buying the Paradox Pack is the best purchase I've made so far, the other games in the pack are equally as in depth but set in different time periods. :D

Toma

Kayhan said:
No, it doesn't.

The problem is the later patched versions of GTA IV won't work with ENB. This affects the episodes as well as GTA IV.

There may be some limited features of ENB that work with the episodes.

That game seems to make many problems with the PC version ._.

alanias

Best pricing goof I have seen in a way. The Best of Tilted Mill (Children of the Nile, Hinterland, Mosby's Confederacy) costs 24.99. The games bought individually add up to 8.09... That's 17 extra bucks to say you bought the pack!

MNC

DMPrince said:
Watch it be another encore sale lol
Naw, sunday will probably be the last encore sale. Or perhaps today will be new sale, saturday encore for this week, sunday SUPER ENCORE POWER WOW

Toma said:
Late answer, but apparently it works for some but not for me. You can change the resolution directly in your documents/Civcity folder in a xml file. Maybe you have more luck than I do.
it worked but when i did it it stretched the game out and messed up the UI.

Shaneus

brain_stew said:
Since I'm a big fan of the game, anyone else need a UK copy of Singularity still.

Paypal me ~$17 and its yours
Is it a bit late for this? I'll PM etc. but it seems like its getting a semi-decent rap around these parts.

Toma

Almost finished download Grand Ages!

God.. that took long.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lumine said:

I was the one that said the performance is horrible. Being stupid as I am, I bought the game anyway. :D

Doing what is said in this thread really does help: Software mode and low shadows make a huge difference. I read on the Steam forums to fix the day/night cycles on Day (less textures to load, as it doesn't load the "lights on" textures on the buildings) and maybe drop down animations to medium.
The message also said to do use this as your custom command line options:

Code:
-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1200 -f -intro:off -CPUP -EH:off

You can change the resolution to whatever you want it to run at. I have no idea what CPUP and EH are or do.

Dynoro said:
Once it starts alt+tab and open task manager and set the cpu affinity for the simcity process to a single cpu
If i remember correctly, from my prior experiences, this only helps with the random crashing issues. It diminishes them greatly, but they still happen, and performance is still crap.

It's still a great game. The most depressing part of the performance issues is that they only hit when the city gets big enough, so it seems the game runs ok, until you actually play it.

Would almost get Singularity, Transformers and/or Hot Pursuit but I think I can hold off until they are lower prices. I feel like a meth addict with these deals.

Baha

blackMamba1187 said:
Would almost get Singularity, Transformers and/or Hot Pursuit but I think I can hold off until they are lower prices. I feel like a meth addict with these deals.

You're going to have to wait till next year.

I'll be doing the same.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Here's my damage so far:

Alpha Protocol (had already forgotten buying that :lol )
Battlefield Bad Company 2
CivCity:Rome
Darksiders
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. 2 DLC
Killing Floor bundle
Lara Croft GOL
NWN 2
Shatter (1 gift)
Singularity
Super Meat Boy x 3 (2 gifts)
The Polynomial
The Witcher
Winterbottom

Away from the Steam sales:

Humble Indie Bundle 1 + 2
Starcraft II CE

Backlog-ton!

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Repost from last night now that there are more people browsing the thread:

Datwheezy said:
I keep looking at the the Indie Fright Pack. What is everyone's opinion on The Void and The Path? I've heard everything from "must play art games" to "absolute garbage". The concepts of the games sound cool, but I fear the execution is going to be frustrating or buggy (something something Eastern European developers)

I know, I know it's only $5, but as a college student, $5 is a lot to spend on stuff I'll never play, and if all the other small indie games in my library are any indication, I doubt I'll have time to play much of the other 3 games to begin with :lol

Toma

Obviously quick look impressions on Grand Ages: Rome:

k534sx.jpg

It is definitely the same genre as CivCity or Children of the Nile, but looks waaaay prettier. Where CivCity pretty much runs on anything, this wants at least a bit ressources to turn up every setting.
I also get the impression that things are a bit more strung together here. For example you get -5 to popularity when you erase a living apartment. Seems to be a bit more complicated than CivCity. There are many other examples like that.
Also I really like the circular build menu.
The whole game seems to take more time and a bit more intricate with what influences what. I could see new players being lost though. I cannot speak of the longevity yet, seems to be another good buy though.

Might be a good idea to start out with CivCity if you never played these kind of games though. However, Grand Ages might end up to be the better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom