• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petrie said:
Does anyone who uses a 360 pad with Steam (for TF2, L4D, etc) know if there's a way I can get the voice chatter within the game to come through the headset? It picks up my voice just fine, but the other players voices still come through the pc speakers, and I'd definitely prefer they not.

yes, but you need to set it up in your windows config.

Salsa

Petrie said:
Yup, I play games from my couch on PC and it's much more comfy to use a controller. I'm not so great that I care about a slight disadvantage over my own comfort.

Hey i play some games from my couch too, just not MP competitive FPS. TF2 wouldnt be so fun if i keep dying everytime i spawn, wich will happen to you.

I get 360 pad vs 360 pad on Xbox live, but saying that using a controller against a keyboard/mouse in a game like TF2 is a slight disadvantage is just wrong.

vocab

SalsaShark said:
Hey i play some games from my couch too, just not MP competitive FPS. TF2 wouldnt be so fun if i keep dying everytime i spawn, wich will happen to you.

I get 360 pad vs 360 pad on Xbox live, but saying that using a controller against a keyboard/mouse in a game like TF2 is a slight disadvantage is just wrong.

I can easily see someone be successful with a demo on a 360 controller. Too many stalemate choke points that = free kills.

Petrie

Banned
SalsaShark said:

I've been playing it and winning just fine. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I could see some classes being difficult, but I play soldier and have no issues.

Petrie said:
Yup, I play games from my couch on PC and it's much more comfy to use a controller. I'm not so great that I care about a slight disadvantage over my own comfort.
I love people that play TF2 or L4D with a controller. I need to have someone I have a chance against.

Petrie

Banned
speculawyer said:
I love people that play TF2 or L4D with a controller. I need to have someone I have a chance against.

You'd have an even better chance if I tried playing with KBnM.

Seriously guys I play games to have fun and couldn't care less about getting a few extra kills after months and months trying to relearn my games. To each their own.

Petrie said:

Seriously guys I play games to have fun and couldn't care less about getting a few extra kills after months and months trying to relearn my games. To each their own.
Why does your avatar reminds me so much of Scout

pirata

Dambrosi said:
Nothing here for me today, thank goodness.

The only things I'm curious about now are Civilization IV Complete (never played a Civilization game before, I'm told it's better than V in many ways, and DAT PRICE)

YES, GET IT. I bought it during a Steam sale for 10 bucks knowing almost nothing about the game, having never really played a strategy game before, and it became one of the best things I've ever played. So good.

But watch out, though--it's crazy addictive

FAKE EDIT: If anyone is on the fence, BUY SHATTER. Just do it. It's awesome.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Petrie said:

I'm on your side fully. I'll pad it when possible. Some games still don't support pads which is real shame, especially for multi-platform games it's just silly.

SlickVic

Shatter looks like a lot of fun and I'm digging the soundtrack from what little I've heard of it. For $2.50, seems like an easy pick up.

Petrie

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
Petrie said:
Does anyone who uses a 360 pad with Steam (for TF2, L4D, etc) know if there's a way I can get the voice chatter within the game to come through the headset? It picks up my voice just fine, but the other players voices still come through the pc speakers, and I'd definitely prefer they not.
yes, but you need to set it up in your windows config.

Now that I know there is a way, I'm just reposting hoping I'll catch someone who has the details. Google is not helping me at all.

jediyoshi

Petrie said:
Now that I know there is a way, I'm just reposting hoping I'll catch someone who has the details. Google is not helping me at all.

Options > Keyboard tab > Advanced > Enable developer console
Mouse tab > Enable the gamepad
Hit `
Type 'exec 360controller'

jediyoshi

confused said:
Does anybody have an opinion on Singularrity or that Transformers game ?

Transformers may be worth skipping unless you're a big fan of the franchise and aren't interested in any other 3rd person shooters. Singularity is definitely worth checking out if you want a more involved FPS.

Yay for another month soon. Have a feeling I'm close to my bandwidth cap, too scared to check (damn you GTA4).

Dambrosi

Banned
That's fine X3Sphere, just wanted to make sure you didn't need my help anymore.

pirata said:
YES, GET IT. I bought it during a Steam sale for 10 bucks knowing almost nothing about the game, having never really played a strategy game before, and it became one of the best things I've ever played. So good.

But watch out, though--it's crazy addictive

FAKE EDIT: If anyone is on the fence, BUY SHATTER. Just do it. It's awesome.
Thanks for the recommendation, I guess I'll try it out
if it hits less than £2 in the sale, because that's all I have left :lol

confused

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Transformers may be worth skipping unless you're a big fan of the franchise and aren't interested in any other 3rd person shooters. Singularity is definitely worth checking out if you want a more involved FPS.

Yay for another month soon. Have a feeling I'm close to my bandwidth cap, too scared to check (damn you GTA4).

What do you mean by "more involved" ?

Also, bandwidth caps suck and belong in the 90's.

Petrie

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Options > Keyboard tab > Advanced > Enable developer console
Mouse tab > Enable the gamepad
Hit `
Type 'exec 360controller'

That's not what I asked. I know how to get the controller working, I want to know how to get the voice chatter to come through my headset instead of through my PC speakers.

Petrie

Banned
confused said:
What do you mean by "more involved" ?

Also, bandwidth caps suck and belong in the 90's.

I had a great time all throughout Singularity, yet at the end I felt disappointed. Like, what was there was good fun, but there was so much more it could have done. It didn't seem like there was enough things to actually do with the powers, and I felt like I was doing the same puzzles over and over.

Combat is a hoot though.

SteelAttack said:
Also waiting on the verdict on this. :lol The game's already on my cart, but I'm somewhat hesitant.

And if anyone would be kind enough to clarify, what are the differences between the Grand Ages: Rome games and Imperium Romanum? (currently at 2 bucks).
I just bought Grand Ages: Rome. It's $2, from the same dev that made Tropico 3 and its expansion which I really enjoy, and has reasonably solid reviews. Imperium Romanum is apparently an earlier game of theirs to which GA:Rome is a sequel.

jediyoshi

Petrie said:
That's not what I asked. I know how to get the controller working, I want to know how to get the voice chatter to come through my headset instead of through my PC speakers.

Ah, apologies. I don't think I've ran into any PC games that allowed that (which seems silly when it's a standard for consoles), fairly certain Source games don't though.

edit: scratch that, gfwl games support it. never noticed

NZNova

matt404au said:
DoR8l.png

Hey Activision, fuck you!

Petrie

Banned
jediyoshi said:
Ah, apologies. I don't think I've ran into any PC games that allowed that (which seems silly when it's a standard for consoles), fairly certain Source games don't though.

edit: scratch that, gfwl games support it. never noticed

That just seems like a silly thing to not support.

Guess they just assume everyone uses a headphones with a built in mic or something? Might have to look into something like that with some good bang for my buck.

confused

Banned
CALL OUT TO UK-GAF !!!

Looking for someone to hook me up with Far Cry 2 if it goes on sale this evening. It's 30 euros vs 10 pounds. Meaning at 75% off that would be 7.5 euros vs 2.5 pounds. Will repay you with a game of choice on steam up to the value of $5.

Quick way for a UK GAF-fer to make a quick buck. Keep in mind that this is only if Far Cry 2 goes on sale.

EDIT : Also, any suggestions for good games under or round the $5 mark?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
Okay, here's my daily CivCity: Rome (the game most of you overlook, even though it only costs you 1$/€) appreciation report.

Gonna get this today. I remember playing a demo of Caesar IV a few years back and liking the gameplay. Can't turn this down for 59p.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
confused said:
CALL OUT TO UK-GAF !!!

Looking for someone to hook me up with Far Cry 2 if it goes on sale this evening. It's 30 euros vs 10 pounds. Meaning at 75% off that would be 7.5 euros vs 2.5 pounds. Will repay you with a game of choice on steam up to the value of $5.

Quick way for a UK GAF-fer to make a quick buck. Keep in mind that this is only if Far Cry 2 goes on sale.

I'll take you up on that if the game is on sale. =)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
kamorra said:
CivCity: Rome or Grand Ages Rome?

Give me a bit. I always recommend CivCity for the hilariously cheap price of 1€, but I'll check Grand Ages as soon as it has finished downloading. Current sales are still going for 5:30h, check back in 2-3 hours if you want impressions before you buy.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Toma said:
Give me a bit. I always recommend CivCity for the hilariously cheap price of 1€, but I'll check Grand Ages as soon as it has finished downloading. Current sales are still going for 5:30h, check back in 2-3 hours if you want impressions before you buy.

Ok :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
confused said:
CALL OUT TO UK-GAF !!!

I'm sorry... I cant resist... :

CivCity: Rome (1$) and Children of the Nile Pack (3,12$)
Impressions from CivCity

Other than that:

RealMyst and Riven for 2,99$ each
Freedom Force vs the Third Reich for 1,69$
Toki Tori for 1,25$
Commandos Collection for 2,99$ (4 Commandos games)
LucasArts Adventure Pack for 4,99$ (2 Indiana games, The Dig, Loom)
Torchlight for 4,99$
MAYBE Grand Ages: Rome for 3,99$ (I'll give impressions later)
Deus Ex GOTY for 4,99$
All the Indie Packs for under 5€

If you never played them (or didnt play all of them) the Commandos Pack and LucasArts Adventure Pack are especially sweet.

DMPrince said:
CivCity. the resolution. can i get it 1920x1080 without looking stretched?

Late answer, but apparently it works for some but not for me. You can change the resolution directly in your documents/Civcity folder in a xml file. Maybe you have more luck than I do.

Danj

Petrie said:

Windows 7 control panel does have separate settings for "Default audio device" and "Default communications device". Though obviously the game would have to respect these for it to work. But you can definitely have different audio coming through your headset than through your speakers, provided it's a USB headset and shows up as a separate audio device. If it's just a 3.5mm device you plugged in to the PC's jack sockets then it's not going to happen.

Gibbo

Can someone gift me Civcity:Rome? Its not available in my local store. I can paypal you or gift ya something of equal value

Toma

Gibbo said:
Can someone gift me Civcity:Rome? Its not available in my local store. I can paypal you or gift ya something of equal value

Thats going to be hard :p
Steam ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom