• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dice said:
Dude, the first two don't even support good resolutions and they all have the shittiest control concept for KB/M and that is the only option you get.
Um, you do know how old those games are, right?
They don't support those resolutions out of the box because they're pretty old. Play any pre-2003 game and there's bound to be some weird resolutions for today's monitors. Still, I'm certain there's workarounds you can find on WGF or something.

Also, the controls? Are you kidding me? You started playing Hitman on the consoles, didn't you? :lol

Anslon said:
There is also this weird effect of knowing you will want to spend money, getting in the mind set, and not finding what you wanted on sale. You're left wanting something to buy and you turn to the other discounts in the store.

It's that pleasure of spending money. Like you said, it's that mindset of admitting you want to spend money regardless if you really need something or not.

stuminus3

Dice said:
There is a massive difference between forcing a res and actually having the game designed for it.
Buddy, WTF are you talking about? Codename 47 came out over a decade ago. How many games in 2000 exactly had out-of-the-box support for modern widescreen monitors?

Volcynika said:
Blood Monkey sounds awesome.
Oh shit. Oops. :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
shagg_187 said:
Ahh! In that case, which one of the three is the best?
Blood Money is a fantastic game, straight up. Awesome open-ended stealth assasination gameplay. The Theater level is one of my favorite levels in any game ever :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
ubicunts. i have anno 1404, i just want the venice expansion. oh wait YOU'VE REMOVED IT FROM STEAM. thanks bud.

Only games I want today are the Total war pair and Hitman, but I think I'm going to pass and wait for Total war to be cheaper on another sale, or at least finish Rome. I'm done with the sales unless Tomb Raider Underworld goes cheaper.

faceless007 said:
So how do the C&C games measure up? Never really played any in the series and I mostly suck at RTSs.

I'd like to know too. As I said a bit ago, I love RTSs but I've not played a C&C game since Generals in 2003. My exposure to the C&C series has been pretty low, overall.

If anyone has any advice about what to buy, where to jump in, etc., I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not spend more than $5-$15 on C&C stuff.

Psy-Phi

Wow at the Hitman hate from a couple people; I only ever played Hitman on PC and it was totally playable and great. Been a while since I touched the series, but I'm sure...if you play PC games at all, you won't be disappointed with the control or visual style. Steam went and made Flight Control HD at a price I can't help but buy.

Dawn of Discovery, how is it? It's in my wishlist because a friend of mine suggested it last year. Yet when I asked him about it a few days ago he said what he played of it was good. Didn't instill a lot of faith.

Also, C&C4 that bad of a game? I know it got a lot of hate, but I'd be playing it purely for the single player.

Volcynika said:
Blood Monkey sounds awesome.
Mf4qz.png

google image search
:lol

Stitch

Gold Member
don't listen to dice, he's clearly trolling or just not very smart.

also the fucking steam server seems to be broken, i can't buy the games argh

Askani

For those asking about Guardians of Graxia, I'm interested in it too but I don't know much about it. The only thing I do know is that it doesn't have multiplayer as far as I know, which seems really crappy for that style of game and kind of a turnoff. Still considering it though.

Also, anyone that can post a full list for us blocked at work?

1-D_FTW

People who don't own Stalker? Buy! And download the 2009 Complete mod for STALKER. Game is mind blowingly good. One of the best games you'll ever play. It just starts out very slow. And it's difficult. But the reward is amazing. Had these games sitting around for years before finally forcing myself to play for a couple hours. Gonna start C.O.P. one of these days. I just needed some lighter games to wind down from after S.O.C.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
If you only want to get one Hitman game then get Hitman: Blood Money, at $2.50 that game is a steal. The other 2 games are honestly harder to get into, specially Codename 47 since that one is kinda rough and plays different from the other games.

Edgeward

Been waiting on a deal for far cry 2. Gonna jump on that price to either praise it to high heaven or shake my fist at idle thumbs.

Is there anything one should be aware of when playin far cry 2 so that am more likely to enjoy the experience?

1-D_FTW said:
People who don't own Stalker? Buy! And download the 2009 Complete mod for STALKER. Game is mind blowingly good. One of the best games you'll ever play. It just starts out very slow. And it's difficult. But the reward is amazing. Had these games sitting around for years before finally forcing myself to play for a couple hours. Gonna start C.O.P. one of these days. I just needed some lighter games to wind down from after S.O.C.

Link to mod? Also, what difference is there with the mod?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ghst said:
ubicunts. i have anno 1404, i just want the venice expansion. oh wait YOU'VE REMOVED IT FROM STEAM. thanks bud.
Venice Xpac worth it? I have the normal edition coming in from Goozex.

Also quick question for you Hitman fans. Should I just pick up Blood Money? Each one is only 2.50, so I much rather pick up 1 and Blood Money is the newest.

Ceebs

Ridli said:
I envy anyone that has never played a Jedi Knight game before. You have an *amazing* deal sitting for you right now. There's so much game there for 5 dollars it would be criminal to pass it up if you've never played it before.

My backlog weeps at today. There's a lot of games I wasn't really looking for, but $5 is a magical pricepoint that makes the rational part of my brain hurt. I'm considering STALKER. That's a pretty insane discount and I've never tried it. Maybe Farcry as well.
Buy Stalker right away! Then download the Complete mod. The games are fantastic.

Edit: Link to Complete mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Trouble

Banned
Ewww... Guardians of Graxia has only 2 reviews on Metacritic 55 and 60. Think I'm going to skip it even at $2.50.

Farcry 2 and Flight Control for me today.

I <3 Memes said:
Son of a bitch. I've been waiting this whole time hoping that Farcry 2 would go on sale for $5. And now that it has they have the Stalker bundle on sale for the same price. What to do? What to do? I cant decide. Why Gabe? Why? Wwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy?!?!?

Far Cry 2 doesn't hold a candle to Stalker IMO

dream

Lkr said:
still no 2k11. based gabe has forsaken me!

Shit, I thought I was the only one futilely hoping for it to show up as a daily sale. I think I might just cough up the 20 bucks for it.

My friend loves Rome: Total War so I might get the Collection. I see that I can buy all 3 Total War games for $27 bucks.

I have never played Empire/Napolean. How are they? Thanks GAF in helping me dry my wallet! :p

jiien

dream said:
Shit, I thought I was the only one futilely hoping for it to show up as a daily sale. I think I might just cough up the 20 bucks for it.

Hold on just a little longer. Wait till Sunday to pick it up. Don't worry, it won't go anywhere!

Trouble

Banned
Anslon said:
Is it too late to redem my treasure hunt hat? I just bought the game today.
Since the treasurehunt page no longer exists, my guess is that it's too late. Who knows though, fire up the game and find out.

Stitch

Gold Member
Bob Tampinha said:
The entire country is against you, and africans reproduce like bunnies
jeeps also can come out of fucking nowhere and africans can see you from miles away even at night.

the game also has only like 3 missions that you have to do over and over and over again.

Nabs

dream said:
totally worth it. i hope people give it a shot.

Crazy, outrageous price on Far Cry 2.

And I urge everyone to buy Flight Control - bought it on PC and PS3 already, both at full price, and it was so worth it.

Also, lol at Hitman 2 resolution complainers. Go into the config and add a custom 1080p res, and run it in OpenGL. It's the best on PC - controls as good as the Splinter Cell port did.

dream

jiien said:
Hold on just a little longer. Wait till Sunday to pick it up. Don't worry, it won't go anywhere!

I know, but...but...I wanna use my healthy Celtics before they put out a roster update that removes the entire starting lineup. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom