• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing for me today. Now to spend the next 48 hours contemplating buying the Indie Fright Pack.

My New Years Resolution is to be as rich as as some of you bastards :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Probably getting the Mafia II DLC because it's so cheap. Might grab Divinity II but I still haven't touched Risen from that last sale.

epmode said:
DIVINITY HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!

I'd go for The Settlers too but I still won't budge with that DRM (and I know it's a little better now).Securom is garbage but it's still better than requiring an internet connection each time a single player game is launched.

..but yeah, I don't understand activation limits for Steam games.

Eh, I'd prefer the internet connection if it's only at launch. Then you can play the game forever and the likely hood of not having any internet at all (at least in the US) is pretty low. You're much more likely to run out of 3-5 activations over the next 20 years and then have to rebuy the game (which I think is the publisher's plan and why they include it still on steam).

FrancisH

I was tempted to get Settlers but I already have a physical copy that I don't think can be activated on Steam :( Nothing for me today I guess... (wonder how long that will last haha).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is Company of Heroes the cheapest it's been right now? I'm not sure if I wanna bite the bullet now or wait for Tales of Valor to be cheaper....

kharma45

brain_stew said:
Dunno if you should be encouraging people to sell a game they're still playing. No matter how you or CEX feel on the matter, its blatant piracy, one serial is only good for one license.

You can still install it offline without Steam, and surely they as a company should have sense about trading in PC games?

Lumine

That seems like a good price for Mafia2. How is it though? Impressions sounded pretty dissapointing from what I remember. I liked the first Mafia, despite it being often frustrating.

Bigfoot

I got off pretty easy this sale but I did miss the Batman sale so I hope it appears again tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend the games in the 2D Indie Pack? I've heard good things about VVVVVV and of course Geometry wars but I know nothing of the other 3. Might just pick up VVVVVV on its own, but 4 more games for $2.50 is a good deal too...

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Day 12 Steam Deals
Half Life Complete | 75%/85% off
Medal of Honor | $29.99: 50% off
Mafia II | $12.49: 75% off
Bionic Commando Pack | $12.49: 50% off
Company of Heroes | 75% off
Football Manager 2011 | $26.79: 33% off
The Settlers 7 - Paths To A Kingdom | $24.99: 50% off
Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga | $19.99: 50% off
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity | $2.50: 75% off
Zeno Clash | $3.75: 75% off
Swarm Arena | $2.50: 75% off
Ion Assault | $2.50: 75% off

My Purchases So Far (With HB1 And HB2)
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Aquaria
Arcadia
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Braid
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Chime
Crysis: Maximum Edition
Deus Ex: Game Of The Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
DOOM: Complete Pack
FarCry 2: Fortune's Edition
F.E.A.R. Complete Collection
Gish
Half-Life 1 Anthology
IL2 Sturmvok: Complete Pack
Left 4 Dead 2
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Mass Effect 2
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Mirror's Edge
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platnium
Osmos
Penumbra: Overture
Plants vs. Zombies: GOTY Edition
Rhythm Zone
The Quake Collection
Rush
Serious Sam HD: Gold Edition
Shatter
SIM CITY 4
STALKER Complete
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Collection
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Super Meat Boy
Torchlight
Turba
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Uplink (Thanks, Jibril. ^_^)
World of Goo

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
SenseiJinx said:
Yes, definitely do that. Some of the best few hours of gaming for a few bucks? Can't go wrong with that.
And like I edited in above, I have L4D2 so it's 85% off. :D

This was actually my first ever Steam sale so thanks everyone for opinions and help. This was a lot of fun.

Total damage:
Defense Grid - $2
PB Winterbottom - $0.49
Bully - $3.75
Dead Rising 2 - $19.99
Dead Rising 2 (Gift) - $19.99
Darksider - $10
Dragon Age Origins - $14.99
Super Meat Boy - $3.75
Dead Space - $6.80
Half Life 2 Eps 1/2 - $2.38

Total: $84.14

Wow not bad for all those games! And if I see The Witcher I am grabbing it.

JDS 1977

Banned
Minsc said:
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga!!! :D

Patience pays off!

Man I really want this. Children of The Nile Pack, and Maybe Zeno Clash. Gotta decide if I can justify them all... Zeno Clash seems really weird though from the demo so I dunno.

jiien

So what order should I be playing these Half Life games in? I've never gotten into them, despite it being a household name in gaming.

Alright GAF, there is $9.75 in my Steam wallet and nothing is jumping out at me asking to take my money. SO! It's time for a bit of a scavenger hunt!

The first person to quote this, and provide an answer to the following, will be given the opportunity to spend $9.75 on the Canada/US store! You can sort out what you want after winning the contest.

The question is this: What is my GOTY for this year? The answer lies in this thread, within the first 1000 posts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386

Best of luck to all contenders!

EDIT: Contest closed, congrats Iadien.

epmode

Bebpo said:
Eh, I'd prefer the internet connection if it's only at launch. Then you can play the game forever and the likely hood of not having any internet at all (at least in the US) is pretty low. You're much more likely to run out of 3-5 activations over the next 20 years and then have to rebuy the game (which I think is the publisher's plan and why they include it still on steam).
In Divinity's case, the Securom garbage will be removed sometime in the future. This comment is from the developer itself:

As some people posted already on the forum, for our previous games we deactivated the DRM at some point and we'll do the same for this one.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422811&fpart=3

Activations and online-only are both ridiculously horrible DRM schemes though. I make a distinction, but just barely.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are we operating on the assumption that "January 2nd" means "the final deals, which were put up today, will end on January 2nd" or "the final deals will be put up on January 2nd and end on January 3rd"

I haven't really looked at a lot of the non-marquee sale items and I don't want to miss out on some of them (Mafia 1 for $4.99 for example)

1-D_FTW

Lumine said:
That seems like a good price for Mafia2. How is it though? Impressions sounded pretty dissapointing from what I remember. I liked the first Mafia, despite it being often frustrating.

I'm 9 hours in from the Amazon purchase. Here's the recommendation I threw up on Steam:

On the one hand: BORING to a degree that I admire the developer's moxie! On the other hand, I can't stop playing. The atmosphere is great. Beautiful if your PC can handle it. One of the weirdest games I've ever played. So much I don't like, but I like it anyway.

EDIT: That said, I have no interest in the Joe DLC. Because if I could have put a bullet in him, he'd be dead already.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Pyke Presco said:
Alright GAF, there is $9.75 in my Steam wallet and nothing is jumping out at me asking to take my money. SO! It's time for a bit of a scavenger hunt!

The first person to quote this, and provide an answer to the following, will be given the opportunity to spend $9.75 on the Canada/US store! You can sort out what you want after winning the contest.

The question is this: What is my GOTY for this year? The answer lies in this thread, within the first 1000 posts: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416386

Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

coopolon

Stumpokapow said:
Are we operating on the assumption that "January 2nd" means "the final deals, which were put up today, will end on January 2nd" or "the final deals will be put up on January 2nd and end on January 3rd"

I haven't really looked at a lot of the non-marquee sale items and I don't want to miss out on some of them (Mafia 1 for $4.99 for example)

I think we are assuming they'll put up the "Best of" deals starting January 2nd and ending January 3rd as they have done in the past.

kharma45 said:
You can still install it offline without Steam, and surely they as a company should have sense about trading in PC games?

You can still install it, sure. Doesn't mean you should be if you're already using that license.

As for the second part well its CEX, they're one step up from your dodgy backstreet gypsy trader.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zeno Clash! Waited for that one :) On the other hand, nothing else for me today. I guess tomorrow I'll bite on the Holmes Collectian, and thus ends the horror of Steam deals.

Lumine

Pyke Presco said:

Starcraft 2? :p

edit beaten badly:(

Shambles

Darn. was hoping the orange box would go on a daily deal for those family members who just got into gaming. For 15$ I might still gift it to one of them though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
epmode said:
In Divinity's case, the Securom garbage will be removed sometime in the future. This comment is from the developer itself:

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422811&fpart=3

Activations and online-only are both ridiculously horrible DRM schemes though. I make a distinction, but just barely.
Even more reason for me to wait on it then. 20$ is too much, and adding on Shitty DRM makes it easier.

Settlers 7 already goes for 25$ new on Amazon too, not much of a sale. And Mafia II will definitely price buckle even more by next year.

Guess my total is finalized, unless Grand Ages:Rome comes up on the Recap(Doubt it since it's normally one title per major publisher+Indie or two). I may put forth the 3.50 for Children of the Nile.

Hmmm. The price on a lot of these is still too high.

Bionic Commando - Despite what you may have heard, both of these games are very fun and they play fine on PC. I don't think the pricing is as low as it could be, but I've enjoyed them greatly.

Since I already own those and the HL games, I'm looking at Zeno Clash, Aaahah, and Ion Assault. Any impressions for Ion Assault? Both of those two Indie games need a demo badly.

Pyke Presco said:

EDIT: Contest closed

I'll take a completely wild guess and say Mass Effect 2. Probably wrong but oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom