• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enk

makes good threads.
pirata said:
Would anybody recommend Bionic Commando Rearmed for five bucks?

It's probably one of the best modern remakes this generation. Your enjoyment though will depend on if you can deal with no jumping and a hard difficulty.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Pyke Presco said:
Bravo, we have a winner. PM me your steam ID and request and enjoy your spoils!

I don't want anything today, waiting until tomorrow's deals. Give it to lumie. lol

kharma45 said:
I think it works for nVidia too but at least for ATi, if you've one of their cards HL2: Deathmatch and Lost Coast are free via Steam.
:O I own ATI! Bitches, give me free shit!

Just bought HL Complete so I'm ok :p Can I gift Deathmatch to someone? I wouldn't mind if I can.

EDIT: Ahh fuck I can't gift it! It says I already own the games :( GAF is always late for their own good...

kharma45

Which is the better buy for 89p, Half Life or Half Life: Source? My bro said to go for the older one as with some mods it's generally better but I'd like to get some more opinions :)

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Does the half life discount apply to the valve complete pack or has it always been 72% off totaling $49.99? I plan on buying the valve complete pack for my brother and am wondering if now is the best time.

kharma45

shagg_187 said:
:O I own ATI! Bitches, give me free shit!

Just bought HL Complete so I'm ok :p Can I gift Deathmatch to someone? I wouldn't mind if I can.

EDIT: Ahh fuck I can't gift it! It says I already own the games :(

Yeah I was gonna say before your edit you can't gift them

Here's the deal here for them for free though if anyone fancies a peak

http://steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/

LCfiner

ah shoot. I thought I was free but then I noticed that the original Half Life plus expansions was only 2.25 since I own HL2.

I picked that up since I can't be bothered to ever find my old HL disc.

total damage is now 140 bucks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bionic Commando (not Rearmed) has some of the most fucking awesome multiplayer I have played this year. I have a couple of buddies who have it and we have a blast with it. You should buy it and add me on Steam to play with my group.

Mafia 2 is a great deal at that price, I would definitely recommend it. Of the DLC I would only recommend picking up Joe's Adventures.

Zeno Clash is worth the 3.75$ if you want to see insane art that is pretty damn unique and it's a solid first-person brawler. It's only a couple hours long.

Lastly, if you don't own every single Half-Life game after this you disgust me. It is one of the most highly regarded series in gaming history and HL1 holds up just fine (I didn't play it till 2004). Don't bother with Source as it has some issues and looks visually inconsistent. ANd like the guy above me said: you need OG HL1 for mods and there is some good-ass shit out there.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
jiien said:
So what order should I be playing these Half Life games in? I've never gotten into them, despite it being a household name in gaming.

Half life 1
Half life 2
half life 2 Ep 1
Portal
Half life 2 Ep 2

Edit: You can play Portal anytime but it has a little connection to Ep 2 so it makes best sense to play before Ep2 but after when you've familiarized yourself with HL universe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kharma45 said:
Which is the better buy for 89p, Half Life or Half Life: Source? My bro said to go for the older one as with some mods it's generally better but I'd like to get some more opinions :)
I asked this a while ago and people unanimously said Half-Life because Source feels weird in the new engine and is not much more than a texture pack upgrade otherwise.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Swarm Arena looks sweet.

Tempted by the Settlers but its a little pricey. We'll see.

oooh Ion Assault looks awesome too. Thats the indie deal.

Im so fuckin pissed there was no tomb raider bundle. God damn i may have to buy individually.

szaromir

Banned
I've just purchased Half-Life collection for €4.2, good deal. I'll replay the series right before HL2E3 or HL3 release, it'll come in handy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
enzo_gt said:
I asked this a while ago and people unanimously said Half-Life because Source feels weird in the new engine and is not much more than a texture pack upgrade otherwise.
It's not even a texture pack upgrade. It uses OG textures. You can install the Blue Shift texture pack through Steam on all HL1 based games, but I never liked how they straight up changed stuff with it. MP5 > M16.

Everyone needs to buy Mafia II. It's not even a year old and it's 75% off. Buy it!

It's an awesome game that easily sets a bar for mature cinematic story-telling, it's a brilliant interactive mobster flick. They did such a brilliant job of nailing this utopian, idealised version of the 1940's and 50's New York. Mafia II is set in an open world but it's more of a linear, tightly scripted action game, filled with a lot of really cool set pieces, with the open world of Empire Bay acting as more of a hub between missions or place for car chases to happen. If you've got a really good rig some of the fire fights and explosions are beyond impressive.

It took me twelve hours to beat Mafia II when it first came out and I enjoyed it from start to finish. You don't need to play the first Mafia to enjoy Mafia II, I didn't even though I received the first game for free by pre-ordering Mafia II on Steam. It's such a fun game, I'm currently replaying it on Hard and then I'm going to play through the Joe's Adventure DLC which adds another 8 hours worth of content to the game for 10$.

There is a demo for you to download if you're curious. I highly recommend this game, this is the only game in the sale that I've shilled for, but it's worth it.

At the very least I think bobsrevenge will agree with me.

jiien

kittoo said:
Half life 1
Half life 2
half life 2 Ep 1
Portal
Half life 2 Ep 2

Edit: You can play Portal anytime but it has a little connection to Ep 2 so it makes best sense to play before Ep2 but after when you've familiarized yourself with HL universe.

Awesome, thanks!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
What do you think-

Medal of Honor- $23

OR

Divinity- $20

I'd only be purchasing MoH for the SP anyway.
MoH is *no lie* a fucking 4 hour game on the hardest difficulty. And on top of that it's not terrible polished when it comes to friendly AI scripting and scripting in general.

1-D_FTW

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hmm, my 512GB HDD is nearly full. If I buy a new 1TB internal drive, how easy is it to move all my Steam stuff over to it and change the target drive?

Did it last week. Just drag and copy the folder over. Done.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
It's not even a texture pack upgrade. It uses OG textures. You can install the Blue Shift texture pack through Steam on all HL1 based games, but I never liked how they straight up changed stuff with it. MP5 > M16.
Half-Life Source has that distracting water shader but man oh man I love that flashlight. OG Half-Life's flashlight is kind of shit.

kharma45

enzo_gt said:

Cheers dude, I'll just grab the old one then and get the mods for it.

Marc :D

Neo Member
Total Damage: $166.60

The Witcher-EE
The Witcher 2
Bad Company: Vietnam
Burnout Paradise
The Polynomial
Puzzle Quest
Operation Flashpoint
Darksiders
Battlefield 2
Borderlands: Claptrap DLC
Killing Floor DLC - ALL
Blue Toad Mystery Files
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Swords & Soldiers HD
Warband Pack
Stalker Pack
Guardians of Graxia
Flight Control HD
The Settlers VII

Yay! Love you steam <3

vocab

epmode said:
Half-Life Source has that distracting water shader but man oh man I love that flashlight. OG Half-Life's flashlight is kind of shit.

Flashlight was rendered useless once people got better monitors and hardware. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
epmode said:
Meh, a flashlight isn't enough to warrant the lack of mods, out of place water, broken difficulties, and weird physics.

1-D_FTW

jaundicejuice said:
Everyone needs to buy Mafia II. It's not even a year old and it's 75% off. Buy it!

It's an awesome game that easily sets a bar for mature cinematic story-telling, it's a brilliant interactive mobster flick. They did such a brilliant job of nailing this utopian, idealised version of the 1940's and 50's New York. Mafia II is set in an open world but it's more of a linear, tightly scripted action game, filled with a lot of really cool set pieces, with the open world of Empire Bay acting as more of a hub between missions or place for car chases to happen. If you've got a really good rig some of the fire fights and explosions are beyond impressive.

It took me twelve hours to beat Mafia II when it first came out and I enjoyed it from start to finish. You don't need to play the first Mafia to enjoy Mafia II, I didn't even though I received the first game for free by pre-ordering Mafia II on Steam. It's such a fun game, I'm currently replaying it on Hard and then I'm going to play through the Joe's Adventure DLC which adds another 8 hours worth of content to the game for 10$.

There is a demo for you to download if you're curious. I highly recommend this game, this is the only game in the sale that I've shilled for, but it's worth it.

At the very least I think bobsrevenge will agree with me.

Damn you. I hate Joe. But that's some quality content for 2.50. Sold. My only purchase of the day.

Some really nice deals today.

Mafia 2 for a cheap. And all the DLC on sale!

Company of Heroes and Half-Life 2 for dirt cheap . . . everyone should own those. Those are some of the highest rated games on Steam.

epmode

Stallion Free said:
Meh, a flashlight isn't enough to warrant the lack of mods, out of place water, broken difficulties, and weird physics.
I'm with you! I always go back to vanilla. I JUST REALLY LOVE THE FLASHLIGHT

Maybe Black Mesa will come out this decade? That other thread got me excited again!

enzo_gt said:

It's not even that, it just has HL2s water / specular effects and some upgraded lighting.

Which means it just ends up looking much jankier than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom