• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who doesn't buy Mafia for that price is crazy. Crazy I say.

Haven't bought anything since like the second day. Nothing interesting for the past 3 days that I dont already own. Common complaint, but the PC market just isn't big enough to make these sales that interesting after the twentieth time. It's the same games on sale every year/season/month/whatever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I picked up the Mafia 2 Car DLC packs to wrap up the collection (I did the same thing with the Just Cause 2 DLC on sale).

It will be fun when I replay the game soon. I wonder if the stuff works in the Jimmy DLC that I never finished.

Blizzard

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Everyone needs to buy Mafia II. It's not even a year old and it's 75% off. Buy it!

It's an awesome game that easily sets a bar for mature cinematic story-telling, it's a brilliant interactive mobster flick. They did such a brilliant job of nailing this utopian, idealised version of the 1940's and 50's New York. Mafia II is set in an open world but it's more of a linear, tightly scripted action game, filled with a lot of really cool set pieces, with the open world of Empire Bay acting as more of a hub between missions or place for car chases to happen. If you've got a really good rig some of the fire fights and explosions are beyond impressive.

It took me twelve hours to beat Mafia II when it first came out and I enjoyed it from start to finish. You don't need to play the first Mafia to enjoy Mafia II, I didn't even though I received the first game for free by pre-ordering Mafia II on Steam. It's such a fun game, I'm currently replaying it on Hard and then I'm going to play through the Joe's Adventure DLC which adds another 8 hours worth of content to the game for 10$.

There is a demo for you to download if you're curious. I highly recommend this game, this is the only game in the sale that I've shilled for, but it's worth it.

At the very least I think bobsrevenge will agree with me.
The game's more linear than I'd like, since I'd like options to sneak through back alleys and avoid firefights in some cases (maybe that happens later in the game and I just haven't seen it), but if it's 8 hours, I'll bite on the Joe DLC. What's your opinion on the Jimmy one though? He looks like a cool character, with the evil bald head and glasses, but it sounds like there isn't so much content then?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Half Life games are like 50 cents to a dollar if you own a Left 4 Dead game.

You dont get these games i will kill you in your sleep.

Finally finish with Steam; time for today's damages:

Settler VII
Divinity II
Half Life 2, Episode I and II (I'm one of these two people who haven't played the Half Life franchise)
Company of Heroes

Overall: $230 for the entire sale....Ouch!

Also, could anyone become friends with me on Steam? I would adore expanding my network of friends on it especially since I have the time (and games) to play Steam for a long period of time. :D

1-D_FTW said:
Damn you. I hate Joe. But that's some quality content for 2.50. Sold. My only purchase of the day.

It supposed to be really great DLC, but it centers around Joe...sooo, yeah.

My damage so far:
Oddbox - 13$
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 7$
Killing Floor - 7$
The Ball - 5$
The Jedi Knight Collection - 5$
The Himan Collection - 7.50$
The Stalker Collection - 5$
Bionic Commando: Rearmed - 5$

Belfast

Caved on Divinity II. Most I've spent on a single game (OK, Game + Expansion) the entire sale, it better be good!

Looks like it's adding up to ~$105 total this sale for me, unless something crops up again tomorrow.

I skipped the Mafia II deal from Amazon, I think I'll make it my last game of this sale. Who knows though, I said the same thing a few days and 3 games ago.

Nabs

So who picked up Bionic Commando? We have a few people we play with, and we can get a game going if you ever want to try out multiplayer. Tons of fun.

Amneisac

I'm feeling so burned after $25 on Singularity. The POV makes it literally unplayable for me and there doesn't appear to be a fix. Especially not a legitimate one. So, that was just wasted money.

In my grumpy spirit, I can't see any reason to pay $20 for Divinity when I still haven't finished Risen, The Witcher or Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. Is there anything about this game that makes it more special than any of those?

Edgeward

Finally own the pc versions of Half life 2, had to keep waiting since they would only put up the Orange Box and I didn't want to pay the couple extra bucks since I own the others in the pack. :lol

And Mafia 2 get, time to drive around and find some wonderful 1960's breasts.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
The game's more linear than I'd like, since I'd like options to sneak through back alleys and avoid firefights in some cases (maybe that happens later in the game and I just haven't seen it), but if it's 8 hours, I'll bite on the Joe DLC. What's your opinion on the Jimmy one though? He looks like a cool character, with the evil bald head and glasses, but it sounds like there isn't so much content then?
The Joe DLC took me about six hours and I had fun the whole way through. There is a mixture of side missions and story missions, but definitely not enough story missions. The ones present are all excellent though.

The Jimmy DLC is purely side mission stuff and it gets tiresome fairly quickly I lost my save in a format so I have to start over, but it's easily another 5 hours of content that will be fun so long as you play it in smaller doses.

1-D_FTW

Blizzard said:

Haven't you only played the first mission?:lol

There is sneaking in some missions. And the firefights are pretty few and far between. Not sure you'd want to avoid them even if you could.

. Missions will unlock as they progress, activating a slew of assassination and timed vehicle missions ending in dramatic shootouts and explosive car chases. Players will rack up points for performance, power slides, and skill shots

The description on the Steam page for Jimmy's DLC. Seems a little too gimmicky for my taste.

jaundicejuice said:
It supposed to be really great DLC, but it centers around Joe...sooo, yeah.

Hopefully I learn he has some redeeming values that change my opinion of him. Otherwise maybe I can drive him to a bridge and see how much splatter I can make with his brains.

Sanjay

Nabs said:
took less than 40 min to dl far cry 2. i am impressed.

Soon you will be like,

Originally Posted by SapientWolf:
Everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

Amneisac

Sanjay said:
Soon you will be like,

Originally Posted by SapientWolf:
Everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours.

There are some genuinely fun mechanics at work in that game. I like the weapon condition stuff. I can't begrudge anyone their right to hate on it, but I have played it for about 15 hours (in short bursts) and it's a game I've always enjoyed.

I love that ammo boxes can explode and bullets go everyone, the fire is amazing, the guns feel nice (although the condition does degrade unreasonably fast) and I like the atmosphere.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck yes! I was sad when I couldn't buy Mafia 2 for whatever price they sold it for on Amazon so this deal makes me a happy guy :D. Which DLC is worth it? Not talking price-wise, but is it worth my precious time?

Blizzard said:

Sorry, I haven't played any of the DLC for Mafia II. My decision to purchase Joe's Adventure was based off of all of the reviews I've read, which were overwhelmingly positive and mentioned that 8 hours of story based content were added for 10$. also, I like Joe. From what I've read Jimmy's Vendetta adds all of the typical open-world activities you would expect to find in the peripheral of the main game and that's about it, it isn't as structured or story-driven as Joe's Adventure.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hmm, my 512GB HDD is nearly full. If I buy a new 1TB internal drive, how easy is it to move all my Steam stuff over to it and change the target drive?
Hell, when I switched PCs I just flat out copied 90% of my old C drive to a directory on my new C drive and everything Steam ran fine without any complaining.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Easy_D said:
Fuck yes! I was sad when I couldn't buy Mafia 2 for whatever price they sold it for on Amazon so this deal makes me a happy guy :D. Which DLC is worth it? Not talking price-wise, but is it worth my precious time?
Pick up Joe's DLC, skip Jimmy.

Nothing for me today.

FM2011 is cheaper through play.com.
Mafia II - great price, but it´s not really a game for me.
Divinity II - Securom = no go.
Settlers - Ubisoft DRM = no go.
Bionic Commando Rearmed - Already own it on PS3, and it looks more fun than it really is.
AaaaAAaaaaaa - Great game that I can recommend, but I already own it.

Blizzard

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Sorry, I haven't played any of the DLC for Mafia II. My decision to purchase Joe's Adventure was based off of all of the reviews I've read, which were overwhelmingly positive and mentioned that 8 hours of story based content were added for 10$. also, I like Joe. From what I've read Jimmy's Vendetta adds all of the typical open-world activities you would expect to find in the peripheral of the main game and that's about it, it isn't as structured or story-driven as Joe's Adventure.
Thanks for all the impressions. Eh, I might as well drop $5 and get both for a rainy day.

For some reason I thought I had one of the Bionic Commando games. The new 3D one actually looks kinda interesting to me though it's apparently mediocre?

I guess I should look up some videos to see how the multiplayer works that one or two of you are talking about.

biocat

Amneisac said:
In my grumpy spirit, I can't see any reason to pay $20 for Divinity when I still haven't finished Risen, The Witcher or Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. Is there anything about this game that makes it more special than any of those?

I'm in the same boat here. Is Divinity II still worth it with such a backlog of similar A-list material?

The fuck? General steam issue. For the age requirement I think I accidentally left it as 2011 and now Im locked out of M rated games. How long does that last? Dont see anything in the Help.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This needs to be re-emphasized.

Bionic Commando on PC is the best way to play the game. It runs like a dream on a middle of the line PC, feels fucking great on MKB (the swinging feels sublime) and the multiplayer is great. I have a couple buddies who own it and if you want to get in on multiplayer with my group of buddies, friend me up.

Kayhan

TheLegendary said:
The fuck? General steam issue. For the age requirement I think I accidentally left it as 2011 and now Im locked out of M rated games. How long does that last?

sorry bro

Xzior

TheLegendary said:
The fuck? General steam issue. For the age requirement I think I accidentally left it as 2011 and now Im locked out of M rated games. How long does that last?
Just restart Steam.

vocab

Wellington said:
Thanks dude. And yes I am aware it's also on Amazon for $5 but I prefer the Steam dl.

Ya, it was twice on steam. OH well, I missed it last year when they jacked the price up.

So assuming its repeats tomorrow and my sales over...

fuuuuuu.gif

Total damage:
£112.05.

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom