• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
state-of-the-art said:
*comes home from work*

*checks steam*

*cries*

hb9GX.jpg

clav

Going to pass on BC2 as I heard some people were having problems with the game on "old" setups as DIC3 seems to have this issue of creating PC ports, and I was never a Battlefield person. Unless some of you on GAF can convince me otherwise, does anyone have a card similar to an ECO 9800 GT? Mind you, upgrading the PSU or a graphics card is not the option here as I don't want to churn out so much on electricity just to game. Already on 350 Watts. I have a friend on a 2000 Watt setup, and I think that's overkill.

Got Super Meat Boy and Winterbottom. How could you pass up on Winterbottom I don't understand.

I have a friend who likes strat games on PC as he consoles everything else. Anyone know from today's offerings if there's a good strat game?

If someone gifts me FEAR Complete Pack, I'll totally reimburse them come January 5 by buying them a game of equal or lesser value. Granted it's outside of the sale, but still, if anyone wants to :v

scaffa

Also asked this in the other thread but could someone (from us) help me out with 1 or 2 copies of BFBC2? (Paypal).

Bought the Deus Ex bundle, can't say no to that and also PB Winterbottom. Im excited about the sale but also scared :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
claviertekky said:
Going to pass on BC2 as I heard some people were having problems with the game on "old" setups as DIC3 seems to have this issue of creating PC ports, and I was never a Battlefield person. Unless some of you on GAF can convince me otherwise, does anyone have a card similar to an ECO 9800 GT? Mind you, upgrading the PSU or a graphics card is not the option here as I don't want to churn out so much on electricity just to game. Already on 350 Watts. I have a friend on a 2000 Watt setup, and I think that's overkill.
Videocard is not an issue, CPU is. An 9800 GT will run the game at Max Settings, no AA and with HBAO Lighting off (that's how I run it on my 8800 gtx). CPU-Wise, you should have at least a 2.9 dual core. The faster, the better. More cores won't help you much on this particular game.

Also, if you're one of those people that want to play Bad Company 2 with a gamepad, don't bother, because you'll be slaughtered by 4 year old babies in their sleep. Also, what's wrong with you?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zozobra said:
Does BC2 come with the VIP map pack? I don't see that listed as a separate purchase on the game's page.
There's no VIP bullshit on the PC version of BC2. Every PC copy has access to the VIP Map Packs.

graywolf323

does Steam not understand I won't have Christmas money to spend on the sale until Christmas? :lol five days of deals I won't be able to afford :-(

Quick question: If the Valve pack causes Team Fortress 2 to be 50% off, bringing the price to 10$, is it possible that TF2 will go on sale as a daily deal later on? Or should I just purchase it now?

poweld

FromTheFuture said:
Quick question: If the Valve pack causes Team Fortress 2 to be 50% off, bringing the price to 10$, is it possible that TF2 will go on sale as a daily deal later on? Or should I just purchase it now?
WAIT. TF2 has a high likelihood of being a $5 or less daily deal.

edit: unless there are other games in the pack that you want (and you should, if you haven't played any of them)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FromTheFuture said:
It's still possible it'll be a daily deal. Rule of thumb? Wait.

kennah

FromTheFuture said:
Never buy any single game. Ever. Unless it is a daily deal. There is a reason we keep saying this over and over and over again.

This goes double for EA and Valve and a couple other companies, they do lots of their games as daily deals at hugely discounted prices. Take a look at the spreadsheet from last year to see the pattern.

TP

FromTheFuture said:

Always wait, even if you miss it at $10 Amazon has had it that that same price for a long time.

Dipper145

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Anyone think they'll do a complete Prince of Persia pack? So far they have all of them at 75% off, don't think they'll go lower.
Considering that it's a daily deal, I don't think it will get any cheaper even if the Prince of Persia pack went on sale.

Red

graywolf323 said:
does Steam not understand I won't have Christmas money to spend on the sale until Christmas? :lol five days of deals I won't be able to afford :-(
I have literally 8 cents in the bank and a $1,500 credit card bill. Looking at these sales is killing me :(

Ahhh... finally own Fallout 3 and its the GOTY edition to boot. I was hoping for a better price than $20, not because it's not worth it but because I'm cheap :D

Here's hoping Dragon Age Ultimate goes on sale for $24... I saw it do that on Impulse previously. I'm holding out for real cheap on that one. I already own the retail version of the game but I want the XPac, and I understand that the steam version won't work with the retail full game.

clav

drizzle said:
Videocard is not an issue, CPU is. Unless you have a 2.9+ CPU, I wouldn't bother.

Also, if you're one of those people that want to play bad comapny 2 with a gamepad, don't bother, because you'll be slaughtered by 4 year old babies in their sleep.
My CPU is a E2180 overclocked to 3 GHz on stock. It runs at about 40-45 Celsius under load (30-35 idle) depending on the room temperature, and the graphics card hits about 60-70 (planning on getting an aftermarket cooler).

How would that fare at 1680x1050 resolution?

Owzers

Those indie packs are great prices but not entirely sure if i should get them......i think they would just sit in my unplayed games list. Namely looking at the Fright and Flight packs.

An-Det

Nice haul SolarPowered. That was me during the summer sale, when my Steam library grew by about x20. :lol

FromTheFuture said:

It's not only possible, I'd bet on it going on sale for cheaper at some point. Same for HL2+eps and the L4D's.

MoFuzz

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Anyone think they'll do a complete Prince of Persia pack? So far they have all of them at 75% off, don't think they'll go lower.
There's a pack available, but it's $35 USD. Cheaper to get them all seperately at the moment.

Figure that one out!

enzo_gt said:
SolarPowered is going for broke Day 1.
My cousin said he would buy me CoD:BLOPS so I think I'm gonna call in that favor for the THQ pack instead.

Another friend of mine actually wants to buy my Wii and I've already got my shiny new black one so it's just a matter of time until I get another $100 from that too.

I may nearly break even after it's all said and done.:lol :lol :lol
FromTheFuture said:
I got it for $2.49 so I would wait.

Asparagus

claviertekky said:
My CPU is a E2180 overclocked to 3 GHz on stock. It runs at about 40-45 Celsius under load (30-35 idle) depending on the room temperature, and the graphics card hits about 60-70 (planning on getting an aftermarket cooler).

BC2 was the game that finally got me to upgrade my E2180, even when my fps was in the 40s it felt sluggish. I ran mine @ 3.4GHz btw, playing at 1680x1050.

nexen

I already have a disk copy of BFBC2. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to need the disk in the drive to play so I'm cool with not having it on Steam.

But...does anyone know if the Steam version of the Vietnam expansion will work with it?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Blah, I'd just gotten the retail version of Bad Company 2 for maybe twice that price a month ago, and was getting pretty into the multiplayer. I'm sorely tempted to double dip now, since I'm sure that BC2 Vietnam will eventually find its way into a Steam sale in a few months.

nexen said:
But...does anyone know if the Steam version of the Vietnam expansion will work with it?

The page says you must have the Steam version of BC2 to play the Steam version of Vietnam, but I remember that you could use the CD-Key you got from buying Steam CoH: Tales of Valor to unlock the content attached to a retail copy of regular CoH. Not really sure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dice said:
This isn't a daily deal, is it? I really enjoyed it back in the day, but it was on a mega old computer that ran it slow and choppy. I always felt that it'd be fun to play again on a proper computer. If the games I want most don't end up taking my money by the end of this, I might nab it.

It's not a daily deal but it's 75% or 85% off or something and if the daily deal ends up being 49 cents cheaper, I won't care.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
claviertekky said:

I just updated my message, but I'll post here again.

I personally run on a QX6700 running at 2.93 (OC) and a 8800GTX that likes to overheat at 1920x1200 (No AA, 8x anisotropic, no HBAO, everything else on High). There's some noticeable FPS drops on some of the maps, but nothing out of the ordinary (mostly during explosions where you're dying and you are in the middle of the dust cloud that pops up).

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run it fine. Specially at a lower resolution.

Most of the problem with this game is the CPU. Frostbite is a engine that has destroyable buildings, and that's entirely on the CPU.

On the Vietnam Expansion, where there are less destructible walls (They're mostly shacks that disintegrate, as opposed to buildings that crumble down), you can notice that the game runs much more smoothly.

Also, the game is fucking awesome. Totally worth the 7,50 they're asking for it. I have 352 hours on it and I can't stop playing it.

Max

I am not Max
nexen said:
I already have a disk copy of BFBC2. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to need the disk in the drive to play so I'm cool with not having it on Steam.

You'll need to buy Vietnam some other way, EA Store or something? You require the steam version of BC2 to be able to buy the steam Vietnam

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Stumpokapow said:
It's not a daily deal but it's 75% or 85% off or something and if the daily deal ends up being 49 cents cheaper, I won't care.
I meant: "If the things I'm waiting for don't happen, will it still be there to get?"

I guess it will. :D

gotee12

Winterbottom
SMB
BC2
Lego Batman
MLB Front Office (always intrigued me, and for a buck, well...)

What is that for a first day total, $17? My wife is gonna kill once this sell is over...

nexen

Max said:
You'll need to buy Vietnam some other way, EA Store or something? You require the steam version of BC2 to be able to buy the steam Vietnam
Gah. Ok thanks, I was afraid of that.

Super Meat Boy and Fright Pack are mine! Been wanting to play The Void for ages based on GAF's recommendations and it's a steal at that price. It's also the only indie pack where i don't already own something, so yay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom