• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Asparagus said:
BC2 was the game that finally got me to upgrade my E2180, even when my fps was in the 40s it felt sluggish. I ran mine @ 3.4GHz btw, playing at 1680x1050.
To what you upgraded your CPU and how much of a difference did it make? Those LGA775 socket CPUs are really really expensive.

drizzle said:
I just updated my message, but I'll post here again.

I personally run on a QX6700 running at 2.93 (OC) and a 8800GTX that likes to overheat at 1920x1200 (No AA, 8x anisotropic, no HBAO, everything else on High). There's some noticeable FPS drops on some of the maps, but nothing out of the ordinary (mostly during explosions where you're dying and you are in the middle of the dust cloud that pops up).

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run it fine. Specially at a lower resolution.

Most of the problem with this game is the CPU. Frostbite is a engine that has destroyable buildings, and that's entirely on the CPU.

On the Vietnam Expansion, where there are less destructible walls (They're mostly shacks that disintegrate, as opposed to buildings that crumble down), you can notice that the game runs much more smoothly.

Also, the game is fucking awesome. Totally worth the 7,50 they're asking for it. I have 352 hours on it and I can't stop playing it.

Thanks for your input guys. I've only played battlefield on the 360 (I think it was 1943 or something), and the fps was locked at 30. So for PC can it be silky as the call of duty series has been with a proper setup?

Conflict NZ said:
What is this from?
It's from Batman Gotham Night. It's basically a series of batman episodes featuring different villains(some new and some old) and Batman's skirmishes with them. There are several different versions of Batman and Bruce in each section of the movie and it explores some different scenarios that made Batman/Bruce what he is today.

I loved the animated series and I loved the movies. The haters only hate for superficial reasons.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001614FX0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit:
Here is a preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09Xj2eIOsU

JohngPR

Really thinking of getting Amnesia for $10. What are the odds that it will go for cheaper in the next few days, or do they usually only lower the price on different games during the sale?

Fox318

frogg609 said:
Thing I most want is Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. I'm guessing I should wait until later in the week, correct?
Impulse had it for 25a while back. Id wait a little bit.

Mass Effect should be below 10. COME ON EA!!

JohngPR said:
Really thinking of getting Amnesia for $10. What are the odds that it will go for cheaper in the next few days, or do they usually only lower the price on different games during the sale?
There is a potato pack that is supposed to show up with this and some other fantastic games.

Said games:
AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity,
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Audiosurf
Bit.Trip Beat
Braid
Cogs
Defense Grid
Killing Floor
Red Orchestra
Super Meat Boy
The Ball
The Wonderful End of the world
Toki Tori

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
frogg609 said:
Thing I most want is Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition. I'm guessing I should wait until later in the week, correct?
You and me both. Be strong. We can do this!

Is anyone else having a problem trying to purchase stuff? I'm trying to buy BFBC2 and Super Meat Boy, but every time I press the purchase button, I just get the error:

"Your purchase has not been completed. The payment processor has reported an authorization failure."

Horns

I was going to pull the trigger on Valve complete, but it went up in price. Might just wait and see if it gets cheaper again. Oddboxx is mine though. *evil laugh*

Minamu

DAMNIT! :'( I want to buy SMB but I can't remember my steam password and my verification email is my ISP email which is only accessible from my computer in a different city since I'm at home for xmas so I can't send myself a reset password mail >_< wtf :lol No games for me, unless the support decides to be nice and change my account details server-side...

Asparagus

claviertekky said:
To what you upgraded your CPU and how much of a difference did it make? Those LGA775 socket CPUs are really really expensive.

Upgraded to a Q6600 @ 3.5GHz, even at stock it ran miles better than my overclocked E2180. I had 4GB of RAM and a 512MB 8800GT at the time for reference, the Q6600 was £80 second hand.

bestami

Trying to buy BC2 from .us since it is almost half the price there. I keep getting an error. I am assuming this is some kind of country restriction :(. Just bought some other shit from the client without any hickups.

Steam n00b here. Is the Steam Store normally this bad? I have to say my first impressions have been bad, frankly, awful and making me wonder why everyone worships it. Firstly when making the account anything you typed into the field was taken. Search around its a known bug, do it through the client, it works (even if the client takes 2 years to boot up).

So time to actually get myself Super Meat Boy and The Deus Ex collection* for £4.49. I get to the end and "An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.". Let me guess I have to do that through the Client too...why even have a website accessible through a browser if it refuses to work?

*-Just these 2 for now. I'm sure I'll become a hopeless steam addict clicking on every sale in no time.
Bububut I only buy things in the sales...you still spent $300 and you say its a sale

Loxley

Damn it...so tempted to grab Stranger's Wrath, but there's that nagging feeling it will go even lower the day after I buy it...

Steam n00b here. Is the Steam Store normally this bad? I have to say my first impressions have been bad, frankly, awful and making me wonder why everyone worships it. Firstly when making the account anything you typed into the field was taken. Search around its a known bug, do it through the client, it works (even if the client takes 2 years to boot up).

So time to actually get myself Super Meat Boy and The Deus Ex collection* for £4.49. I get to the end and "An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.". Let me guess I have to do that through the Client too...why even have a website accessible through a browser if it refuses to work?

*-Just these 2 for now. I'm sure I'll become a hopeless steam addict clicking on every sale in no time. Bububut I only buy things in the sales...you still spent $300 and you say its a sale

Steam is going to be getting hammered on a daily basis from now until New Years', you sort of picked the worst time of the year to jump on since it's when Steam's servers are going to be at their most crowded. You're gonna have to have to allow them some more leeway than usual in terms of performance for a while : /

legend166 said:
PoP 2008 worth it for $5? Or is Forgotten Sands better?

PoP 2008 is better. I'd say almost any game is worth it for that price (so PoP being good makes it all the sweeter). It is also beautiful looking and has an awesome soundtrack.

jediyoshi said:
Same boat. 5.29. Woe is college living

Should have stayed at home.

£1500 in the bank and a big penis here.

Starwolf_UK said:

*-Just these 2 for now. I'm sure I'll become a hopeless steam addict clicking on every sale in no time.
Bububut I only buy things in the sales...you still spent $300 and you say its a sale
It's being hit hard. Usually it's top notch. To be expected this time of year.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I expected it was that. Also turns out buying through the client worked so I'm done (for today). Shame I probably won't be able to play most of these for weeks because I'm going home so will only have my Netbook to play on.

sestrugen

Im waiting for Dragon Age Ultimate Edition and Mass Effect 1 and 2, make it happen.

I was browsing for some NBA and MLB games and I cant find any, screw my region :lol

Dipswitch

Does Bad Company 2 scale well with quad core processors? I've got a Q9550 running at 2.83Ghz, paired with an ATI 4870 1GB card. Not exactly the fastest setup these days, but seems to do well with games that can use all four cores.

Starwolf_UK said:

First hours of one of the internet's biggest video game sales. It just gets pounded like this at the start of every sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I have to buy through the website when I'm home for Christmas, and it usually works. I hope it gets straightened out by then.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Starwolf_UK said:

It's an insane holiday sale. Do you bitch about Best Buy when you go in on Black Friday and have to wait really long to get the the registers to check out?

dangrib

ME2 said $14.99 then i went into it and its back to $29.99??? Im in the AU store btw.
Is it the same on the US store? Also BC2 went back up for me. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Lime

How are the games in the Future Indie Pack? Specifically:

• Twin Sector
  • Hacker Evolution
  • Hammerfight
  • Uplink
  • System Protocol One

Hacker Evolution sounds sweet if it strokes my cyberpunk penis.

Any answers?

Is anyone else having a problem trying to purchase stuff? I'm trying to buy BFBC2 and Super Meat Boy, but every time I press the purchase button, I just get the error:

"Your purchase has not been completed. The payment processor has reported an authorization failure."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hope Comcast doesn't notice/mind me obliterating my bandwidth cap just this once.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I hear a lot of mentions about people spending like crazy during these deals, which I can understand, but it's quite remarkable that you can spend something like $10 and still come out with 3 or 4 solid games.

This is all new to me, so it's pretty cool.

I just can't wait until I have my PC so I can actually play these games, my shit won't even run The Misadventures.

holy f*ck at this sale

super meat boy is BOUGHT and i was tempted at the presale price of $10. time to rummage through the unhealthy amount of temptation in these prices

Instro

They increased the price on the Valve pack I see. Was it a mistake, or were they running some hourly special price there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom