• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
vocab said:
No it doesn't. It's a stand alone shit fest.
so its crap? What about painkiller black and overdose? Does overdose improve things? I want to make sure it supports widescreen resolution and all that modern shit.

BTW i liked painkiller so if you dont like the games then tell me.

Wessiej

tahrikmili said:
How do I know if I'll like Mafia II? What does it play like? Is it a GTA4 style sandbox 3ps?
It has an open world, but you should not play it like that. See it as an adventure game. A really good one.

tahrikmili said:
How do I know if I'll like Mafia II? What does it play like? Is it a GTA4 style sandbox 3ps?
There is a demo you can try. But that demo is a great action sequence. There will be some slow but very atmospheric driving times between such action sequences.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What? Mafia 2 is just £5? It's €9.99 :(. Fuck you Steam! Why are UK citizens favoured now? Oh well, 9.99 is a steal regardless :lol

Bii

Woohoo! I've been waiting for HL2: Ep. 1 & 2 to go on sale. Had them on my wishlist since the treasure hunt began. Total damage after today is $231.05. :lol

The only games I'm looking to buy if they show up again are Darksiders and Oblivion GOTY Deluxe Edition. I should have grabbed Metro 2033 back when it was $10; now I don't think it'll ever be that low until the next Steam sale.

~Kinggi~ said:
so its crap? What about painkiller black and overdose? Does overdose improve things? I want to make sure it supports widescreen resolution and all that modern shit.

The original Painkiller always supported widescreen just fine. That 2009 expansion is by a completely different team.

Bii said:
Woohoo! I've been waiting for HL2: Ep. 1 & 2 to go on sale. Had them on my wishlist since the treasure hunt began. Total damage after today is $231.05. :lol

The only games I'm looking to buy if they show up again are Darksiders and Oblivion GOTY Deluxe Edition. I should have grabbed Metro 2033 back when it was $10; now I don't think it'll ever be that low until the next Steam sale.

Well its a Steamworks title, so if you see it cheap anywhere, just go ahead and pick it up.

Salacious Crumb

The damage this year:

Bionic Commando Rearmed
Mafia II + All DLC
Zeno Clash
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
Far Cry Complete
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Europa Universalis III: Complete
The Ball
Brothers in Arms Pack
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Global Agenda
Doom Pack
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Machinarium
STCC - The Game
RACE On Expansion
X3: Gold
Battlefield 2
Blueberry Garden
Alpha Protocol
Wings of Prey
Darksiders
Railworks 2
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Prince of Persia
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
Flight Control HD

All that came to 180 or so, I'm too scared to figure out the exact number.

1-D_FTW

Since I don't count the BF sales, or the sales between the sales, my Holiday damage came out at 110 dollars. Add 12.50 for Mafia 2 at amazon, 40 for a flight stick for Wings of Prey, and 6 dollars for Freespace 2 at GoG and my total came out to just under 170.

I would have never counted, but I loaded in 100 dollars before the sale. And I emptied that. Loaded another 40 and I have 30 left. So 110.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
I would recommend Zeno Clash, personally. Extremely overlooked game with the best first person melee combat in any game. Also, the art style is crazy and superb.

Yay! I was wondering when the Company of Heroes deals would arrive. I'm definitely getting Opposing Fronts, though I'm on the fence about Tales of Valor. I'm also getting the Half-Life 1 Anthology. It's about time that I played. :3
cornontheCoD said:
I would recommend Zeno Clash, personally. Extremely overlooked game with the best first person melee combat in any game. Also, the art style is crazy and superb.
The art style is way too bizarre for my taste.

The damage to my wallet thus far $33.45. Not too bad, especially compared to some. :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think im gonna get Divinity 2 pack. The giantbomb quicklook didnt do it any favors but thats cause it was on consoles and it was before they released the update expansion for the core game.

Max

I am not Max
Oh! Zeno Clash is actually on sale! S'it worth it at that price? :lol

also, what does Based Gabe mean

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
:lol If Mafia II hadn't been a deal today (and for 75% off!) I would have given my money to Amazon.

Max said:
also, what does Based Gabe mean
It's a stupid meme that like most memes become even more stupid when you know the story behind it.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for that link about decent sale prices that aren't daily deals.

Also, this sale seems to have pushed me where I now have more games than friends. I'm not sure whether that's happy or sad. :lol

Suairyu

Banned
I've gotten the point where I really want Mafia II, especially at that price, but I have too much to play and I won't have played more than half of it come next year's xmas sale, I am sure, where Mafia II might be even cheaper.

Bah.

Trouble

Banned
How's the Mafia II DLC? Tempted to pick up the two mission packs for $2.50 each.

I really liked the game, but it was short-ish and I want more.

Artofwar420

Trouble said:
How's the Mafia II DLC? Tempted to pick up the two mission packs for $2.50 each.

I really liked the game, but it was short-ish and I want more.

No idea, but from 10.00 to 2.50? I put it in my cart for further consideration.

vocab

~Kinggi~ said:

I love painkiller, and I thought it was one of the best 1v1 games ever created.

Painkiller Black supports widescreen out of the box. It has aged very well, so don't worry about it looking like shit. I played it 5 months ago, and it still looks good.

Overdose doesn't add anything what so ever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm buying up, like, 10 gift copies of HL2-EP1-EP2 just because. I have high hopes that we'll get an announce date for EP3 this year, and I feel like I'll celebrate by giving away HL2+eps.

~Kinggi~

Banned
vocab said:
I love painkiller, and I thought it was one of the best 1v1 games ever created.

Painkiller Black supports widescreen out of the box. It has aged very well, so don't worry about it looking like shit. I played it 5 months ago, and it still looks good.

Overdose doesn't add anything what so ever.
thanks. Yeah i only have Black edition in my cart now. Gonna get that.

Dacvak said:
I'm buying up, like, 10 gift copies of HL2-EP1-EP2 just because. I have high hopes that we'll get an announce date for EP3 this year, and I feel like I'll celebrate by giving away HL2+eps.

I like the way you think, but you may be waiting a while.

You can buy gifted copies and keep them in storage?

vocab

Lumine said:
Quick question related to an earlier sale...

Do I play Bully with my controller or kb/m? :p

IF you have complete control of the camera with KB/M, id go with that. My PS2 play through was enjoyable, but the biggest flaw was that the camera would go crazy some times, and invert it self. So I would run away from guards in a circle, but run into them instead :lol

Max said:
Oh! Zeno Clash is actually on sale! S'it worth it at that price? :lol

Ya. It's a short game with a great atmosphere to it. The story is fucking weird, but it's still a decent game. It's not the best use of the source engine, but it's still interesting. The game lacks variety in enemies though.

Mareg said:
Alright, we are fast coming to the last day of sale.

I'm sure that everyone has been patiently waiting for the last day to buy many games that unfortunately didn't make it to the dailies.
Games that are still on sale, still very awesome, but still overlooked because they were not put out on front page as a daily.

Me, I'm just too lazy to make it through the insane 52 pages of STEAM games on sales and make the necessary research to get the gems out of the mix. GAF help a poor sob and make your list of game that you still think are awesome, on sale, and didn't make it to the dailies :)

My wallet is still too heavy and I need more awesome overlooked gems. Thing is, if I buy the thousands of games at 1-2$, it still makes too much damn money. I need some kind of filter.
Since nobody replied to this I'll just say CivCity, Winterbottom and Toki Tori. The middle is very cheap the first has positive impressions in this thread and the last is great but not really overlooked (its part of an indie pack).

kharma45 said:
Yeah I was gonna say before your edit you can't gift them

Here's the deal here for them for free though if anyone fancies a peak

http://steampowered.com/ati_offer1a/
I have an ATI card...back at home. I love how the steam client was like "oh you have an ATI card want to find driver updates etc" and not go "oh you have an ATI card here is some free shit". Well actually that isn't quite true, I have an ancient ATI card inside my kind of dead computer but I'm not willing to hook it up.

Alts

No Morrowind. Oh well, $15 isn't bad. Does anyone know how easy it is to copy existing disc-Morrowind saves to Steam-Morrowind?

Blizzard

Banned
The one thing I noticed from that steamforums list is that Emerald City Confidential is an interesting-looking adventure game for $2.50. It may be a bit of a kid's game with easy puzzles...Joe Molotov? YOU OWN IT! ENLIGHTEN US :O

Trouble

Banned
Lumine said:
Quick question related to an earlier sale...

Do I play Bully with my controller or kb/m? :p
Controller definitely. The game is a console port, and there isn't much need for precise aiming.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, fuck.

8l4sq.png

My credit card isn't close to maxed out, but I'm pretty sure rapid $4 purchases just triggered the "OH GOD YOUR CREDIT CARD MUST BE STOLEN" feature. For the second time this holiday sale.

Artofwar420

Dacvak said:
Well, fuck.

My credit card isn't close to maxed out, but I'm pretty sure rapid $4 purchases just triggered the "OH GOD YOUR CREDIT CARD MUST BE STOLEN" feature. For the second time this holiday sale.

I guess that's why some peeps here have been using that Steam wallet thing.

vocab

thegriefer said:
is medal of honor worth $30? Is the multiplayer populated?

Depends what you want from the game. If you want to escape the hyper realistic unbalanced bullshit that COD MW2 and up offers, than I guess MOH is a good alternative. The game to me is COD4 light with a little bit of BC2 influence. I played some of the console version yesterday, and they really improved a bunch of stuff from beta. People actually die when you shoot them! It's crazy I know.

If you are looking for something original...you may want to look else where. I really don't see this game being supported by the developers either. I feel like it was just made to make a quick buck. Most of the assets are straight out of BC2 for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom