• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm04

Well, I think this is it for me unless tomorrow's recap surprises me. This is my first real Steam sale since I built a new rig this year, so all in all, not a bad haul! Thanks to the new Steam friends I made who either helped me get some of these games at the best prices!

Mafia II + Joe's Adventures DLC
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
FarCry 2
Greed Corp
Mirror's Edge
Fear 2 + Reborn DLC
Batman AA: GOTY
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
Super Meat Boy
Singularity
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2

Total: $99.69

If anything, this is the endorsement for owning a good gaming PC and waiting on releases. So many of these I was tempted to buy on console at or near release, but I didn't have the time to justify the expenditure. Just a comparison for when console gamers complain about the cost of buying a gaming rig, here are the savings:

Console games price estimate if purchased at or near release: $635

Console equivalent of current prices on Amazon (I took the cheapest price between 360 and PS3, nevermind that one could be a much crappier port) and XBLA/PSN: $287

Sure, it requires patience and to fight off the urge of buying a game day 1, but the savings comparison in scenario 1 alone is enough to BUY a gaming rig. The savings in scenario 2 can get you a pretty good video card. One thing I learned is I am only buying console exclusives for my 360/PS3 from now on. Everything else is going to be on PC, especially since the quality of the gameplay/graphics will be superior on it, not to mention the ability to use mods. And yeah...the games are cheaper.

So yeah, if any console only gamers are reading this thread, it might be worth it to invest in a gaming PC :D .

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is this the last day of sales?

Ettie

Woohoo! Divinity II and Settlers 7, Gabe hath heard my pleas!

Lkr said:
EA can't even beat steam on their own game

2k11 is downloading at 1.2mbps. Does anyone know a better server right now?

I'm getting about 300k/s on the Ukraine server. Really could use something better if anyone knows the magic server.

bonesquad

Dammit. I swore I wouldn't buy anything just to "add it to my collection," but $2.24 to add the original Half-Life anthology. I can't pass that up. (I already have all the HL2 stuff.)

That now puts me slightly over $20 total for 7 games plus the HL1 games. Now the only game left is finding time to play these...

Chiggs

Gold Member
mm04 said:
So yeah, if any console only gamers are reading this thread, it might be worth it to invest in a gaming PC :D .

Indeed.

The other nice thing about Steam is that it allows you to get rid of all the physical copies of games. Honestly, at this point, I find having to purchase a physical copy of a game to be a detriment.

Retail sucks.

Lkr

I'm using
US Miami
right now for my speeds. Don't steal my speeds!!!!

lAeR8.png

this sale didn't kill me

biocat said:
How much is Settlers 7 in the UK?
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom £9.99
The Settlers 7: Downloadable Content Pack III £9.99
The Settlers 7: Conquest - The Empire Expansion DLC £3.49
The Settlers 7: Uncharted Land Map Pack £3.49

are these prices right? from the steamgamesales site.

vocab

LovingSteam said:
I'd say to put that $23-30 towards Red Orchestra 2 when it comes out in a few months.

Ya, I keep forgetting about the game. That would be a better investment. If that game is anything like DOD, I'm gonna be all over it. I own the first one, and I see the appeal, but it's a rough game.

mm04 said:
Well, I think this is it for me unless tomorrow's recap surprises me. This is my first real Steam sale since I built a new rig this year, so all in all, not a bad haul! Thanks to the new Steam friends I made who either helped me get some of these games at the best prices!

Mafia II + Joe's Adventures DLC
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
FarCry 2
Greed Corp
Mirror's Edge
Fear 2 + Reborn DLC
Batman AA: GOTY
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
Super Meat Boy
Singularity
Borderlands GOTY
Just Cause 2

Total: $99.69

If anything, this is the endorsement for owning a good gaming PC and waiting on releases. So many of these I was tempted to buy on console at or near release, but I didn't have the time to justify the expenditure. Just a comparison for when console gamers complain about the cost of buying a gaming rig, here are the savings:

Console games price estimate if purchased at or near release: $635

Console equivalent of current prices on Amazon (I took the cheapest price between 360 and PS3, nevermind that one could be a much crappier port) and XBLA/PSN: $287

Sure, it requires patience and to fight off the urge of buying a game day 1, but the savings comparison in scenario 1 alone is enough to BUY a gaming rig. The savings in scenario 2 can get you a pretty good video card. One thing I learned is I am only buying console exclusives for my 360/PS3 from now on. Everything else is going to be on PC, especially since the quality of the gameplay/graphics will be superior on it, not to mention the ability to use mods. And yeah...the games are cheaper.

Just have to say you did fabulous. Great GREAT pick ups forthat price.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've been sitting on the Bethesda pack this whole sale... Will I still have the opportunity to buy that tomorrow?

Dacvak

Fuck me sideways, I think I just got banned from making Steam purchases.

I was rapidly buying up copies of HL2+eps as gifts (to hold on to for later use) when I got the "credit card declined" error. I called my bank, and they said the credit card hasn't been declined. So I tried my debit card. Same error.

Then, I tried my PayPal account connected directly to my bank account, which I assure you has far more than $3.75 in it, and I got an "authorization error."

What the fuck, Valve? LET ME GIVE YOU MY GODDAMN MONEY.

Dacvak said:

I was rapidly buying up copies of HL2+eps as gifts (to hold on to for later use) when I got the "credit card declined" error. I called my bank, and they said the credit card hasn't been declined. So I tried my debit card. Same error.

Then, I tried my PayPal account connected directly to my bank account, which I assure you has far more than $3.75 in it, and I got an "authorization error."

Youch that really sucks. Has Steam done this before to anyone? God damn I love Steam however...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Damage:

53 games. ouch. That makes 153 in 4 months since I use steam. Ouch²

Hopefully Grand Ages: Rome will be on sale again tomorrow for all the people who liked CivCity: Rome.

Blizzard

Banned
Dacvak said:

This sort of thing happens. My credit card didn't even see the charges that Steam claimed my credit card was declining. It's Valve's systems kicking in. In my case I randomly couldn't gift but could by myself stuff, I think. The next day I randomly was able to gift again, if I'm not mistaken, but it might not have worked to gift to a specific user ID...some people have had trouble gifting to Sanjay for instance.

At any rate, make a support account and a support request and hope they fix it or it fixes itself. :D

ZZMitch

My pick ups from my first xmas sale-

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (also Vietnam as a gift from my step-brother)
Bully
Burnout Paradise
the 2 Company of Heroes expansions
Darksiders
Half Life Anthology
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Mirror's Edge
RUSH
Secret of Monkey Island
Serious Sam Gold
Civ IV: Complete (for my step-brother)
Super Meat Boy
Crysis Maximum
Farcry + Farcry 2
Winterbottom
Toki Tori
some Borderlands DLC

All for around 75$ (I think)

If you count all the things since Thanksgiving... well it is closer to 150$... but I doubled my steam collection! :D

d[-_-]b

Banned
Argh if I didn't go crazy on the first day this wouldn't have been so bad.

Sid Meier's Railroads, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition, Shattered Union, MLB 2k10, CivCity: Rome, Bioshock (NA), Indie Future Pack, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition, Winterbottom, FEAR Complete Pack (NA), Super Meat Boy, Titan Quest Gold, LEGO Batman
$58.99 on the first day :S. I have yet to touch most of those games, damn you impulsive spending when I see a deal.

I think I added up my total to be around $211

Mihos

Gold Member
So... at what point do I admit I officially have a impulse buying problem? I am about to cross the 250 game threshold on Steam? About 100 of those have been in the last week and a half.

Parham

Banned
Dacvak said:

I had the same problem a few days back. I contacted Valve's customer support and this is the response they gave:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Are you attempting to make the purchase through Steam or with a web browser using the storefront webpage?

If using Steam, try the following:

If using a PC
-Exit Steam, then go to the location that Steam is installed to. By default this is C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).
-Delete all of the files except for:
Steam.exe
And the folder \SteamApps\

If using a Mac:
-Exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam
-Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer and test the issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If the issue still persists, try using a web browser (Internet Explorer 7 or higher on PC, or Safari if on a Mac) to make the purchase using http://store.steampowered.com/

If it still fails, try logging into your Steam account and making the purchase directly through the Store interface.

Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns.
By the time they responded I no longer had this issue, so I do not know if this solution works.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
d[-_-]b said:
Argh if I didn't go crazy on the first day this wouldn't have been so bad.

Sid Meier's Railroads, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition, Shattered Union, MLB 2k10, CivCity: Rome, Bioshock (NA), Indie Future Pack, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition, Winterbottom, FEAR Complete Pack (NA), Super Meat Boy, Titan Quest Gold, LEGO Batman
$58.99 on the first day :S. I have yet to touch most of those games, damn you impulsive spending when I see a deal.

I think I added up my total to be around $211

You seem to like simulation stuff. I'd suggest Grand Ages: Rome if it comes up again tomorrow and you have a somewhat decent PC.

Smash88

Banned
As someone who has never played the original Half Life and started in 2004 with Half Life 2...

How much did I miss on story-wise?

Best Of/Recap sale tomorrow?

Smash88 said:
As someone who has never played the original Half Life and started in 2004 with Half Life 2...

How much did I miss on story-wise?

Like watching the Empire Strikes Back without watching A New Hope.

Dacvak

Toma

Chriswok said:
Best Of/Recap sale tomorrow?

Like watching the Empire Strikes Back without watching A New Hope.

Most probably.

Question regarding HL1 too. Played through HL2 already. Would you people recommend getting up to speed with HL1 or is it not necessary anymore?
Will people with no nostalgia towards it still enjoy it?

JDS 1977

Banned
Divinity II still in my cart.. 20$ is a good price on it, but beyond my normal 10$< justification of adding to the backlog.. At least I got time to mull it over.

Decided to pick up Zeno Clash, since it was on my list. Also grabbed AaaaAA!, along with a few non-daily deal games that were on my list, since they are already at low prices and the sale is almost over.

Day 13 (1/1/11):
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! ($2.50)
Broken Sword: Director's Cut ($2.49)
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack ($2.49)
Tropico Reloaded ($1.74)
Zeno Clash ($3.75)

Things I'm considering for the future, especially if they get a daily deal (Which now isn't very likely):
Indie Fantasy, Future, Kid Packs
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold (On sale for $4.99 now)
Wallace and Gromit
Back to the Future (Hah!)
Railroad Tycoon II, III

Toma said:
Most probably.

Question regarding HL1 too. Played through HL2 already. Would you people recommend getting up to speed with HL1 or is it not necessary anymore?

HL1 will probably seem really basic now, looking back. At the time it was WOW OMG HOLY SHIT! Toma what's your Steam ID? You've been pretty helpful over the last few days in this thread (by helpful I mean you've made me spend money... ¬_¬).

Im_Special

Now that there will be no more new deals I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy + DLC for 7.50 total, anyone with any impressions on this series, is it good, bad, does it run well, anything its similar too?

Also whats the consensus on Toki Tori? Thinking of getting that as well.

epmode

Toma said:
Most probably.

Half-Life feels like one of those timeless games to me. Like Deus Ex or something. Very playable, even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom