• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Datwheezy said:
I only got in about 30 mins of CivCity yesterday, but liked what I played so far. I can already tell that OCD is going to take over when it comes to facing buildings the proper way and road buidling :lol

Oh yes. Doesnt make any sense in some cases to "rebuild" it even though it works but it looks so much nicer! That will get hard in the later levels though. Even though it starts of simple enough the levels might need some planning beforehand later (which is a plus in my book).

Company of Heroes is one of the best RTS games ever. If you've played the first Dawn of War or any of its stand-alone expansions you have a rough idea already of what you're getting into...though the gameplay is much more refined, and the single player campaign is vastly superior.

Are there any Swarm Arena impressions?

If I really disliked Divine Divinity - is Divinity II a pass? Or is it completely different?

There are so many games I want today :(

Datwheezy said:
I only got in about 30 mins of CivCity yesterday, but liked what I played so far. I can already tell that OCD is going to take over when it comes to facing buildings the proper way and road buidling :lol

Well, shit. I'm screwed. :lol

Salsa

What i got:

zJGhP.png

Cowie

Zeno Clash for $3.75? That's the deal I've been waiting for all sale. (The heavy hitters pack has too many games I already have)

Also got the Monkey Island Remakes and Crysis Bundle.. tame compared to some of you folk, I spose.

edit: If we're counting thanksgiving I got the Humble Indie Bundle(or: play the shit out of Recettear and completely forgot it came with other games that are actually pretty good too) and Alpha Protocol too, I guess.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
20110101-p6ird7a25ehf4jr1qy5fik8d15.jpg

Not too bad. The only regret I have is not picking up Sands of Time and Warrior Within when they went on sale.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
echoshifting said:
Are there any Swarm Arena impressions?

If I really disliked Divine Divinity - is Divinity II a pass? Or is it completely different?

There are so many games I want today :(

Well, shit. I'm screwed. :lol

Haha it isnt too bad, you just have to think out where you are going to be building things, and just sort of plan ahead. I often forget that I can pause the game and plan stuff out (I've been playing too much Starcraft 2 lately, so I sometimes get into the habit of just quickly throwing buildings down :lol )

Danneee

Spent about €50 and now there is nothing left on Steam that I want. Maybe if Settlers 6 went cheap but thats it.
It feels weird.

szaromir

Banned
My purchases were rather modest:
- Humble Indie Bundle (#2 with bonus #1) - $10
- Half-Life collection - €4.2
- Batman AA - €7.5
- Red Faction Guerrila - €2.5
Friends gifted me Left 4 Dead 2, Amnesia and Rush.:D

Settlers 7 is calling my name. Anybody have it? How is it? I seem to recall it doing only so-so on the review circuit.

Note: I'm aware of the DRM and I don't care

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Schmattakopf said:
CivCity is okay, but I have to say Caesar IV is so much better.
It is a pretty good title to get into this genre. Especially for 1$/€. Definitely not the best game ever made but should be a good first step to jump into the Caesar series (or any of the other classics)
The more I played it the better it got. Even though I saw in which way it is restricted. But still.. lot of people enjoying it. Thats the important point :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, Grand Ages: Rome and expansion can be had for $5? Is that just for today?

kennah said:
$7.01 in my Steam Wallet.

Thinking either:

CivIV Complete

OR

Samorost2 + all of the Defense Grid DLC.

OR

Puzzle Quest 2.

Thoughts?

If you plan to pick up Civ V during the summer or next holiday sale, skip Civ IV, otherwise...grab it. Great game, very newcomer friendly too.

Otherwise...Defense Grid DLC + Samorost2...but only if you've actually beaten all of the other Defense Grid levels; the DLC maps are way, way more challenging than anything in the normal game.

Helmholtz

Picked up HL2 eps (already have them on a different account :lol) + HL1 anthology (don't really care about opposing or shift, but it was only 75 cents more than HL1 :lol)

So overall I've purchased:
Counter-strike: Source
HL2 Episodes 1 & 2
HL1 Anthology
The Witcher

Total was around 15 dollars. That's probably all I'm getting assuming nothing else super cheap comes out. A little disappointed that Worms: Reloaded hasn't gone on sale, was hoping to get that for cheap.

biocat

echoshifting said:
Settlers 7 is calling my name. Anybody have it? How is it? I seem to recall it doing only so-so on the review circuit.

Note: I'm aware of the DRM and I don't care
I bought it too, but don't have a computer to run it on with me. The Giant Bomb quick look sold me on it. If you do get it, though, get someone in the UK to gift it to you. It's almost $10 cheaper there.

DSc

steamge.jpg

Total damage - £73.84

Less money I thought, but looking at that list, I've also bought less than I thought I had. :lol

Durante

JudgeN said:
GAF I need your help is Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga worth $20? I enjoyed the exploration of risen so hows this game stack up? Also how the engine performance?
That depends on what you enjoy about exploration. If you need a huge open world Divinity II is a bad choice. If, on the other hand, you like finding something new almost every time you venture a bit off the main path then Divinity II is your game. I really loved many of the side-quests you find.

Engine performance is much better with the expansion and the recent patch -- still not outstanding but entirely adequate.

Toma

Durante said:
That depends on what you enjoy about exploration. If you need a huge open world Divinity II is a bad choice. If, on the other hand, you like finding something new almost every time you venture a bit off the main path then Divinity II is your game. I really loved many of the side-quests you find.

Engine performance is much better with the expansion and the recent patch -- still not outstanding but entirely adequate.

The link for you tag doesnt show up for me :(
Broken or stupid restriction on my end?

DSc said:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/293/steamge.jpg[/IG]

Total damage - [B]£73.84[/B]

Less money I thought, but looking at that list, I've also bought less than I thought I had. :lol[/QUOTE]

Probably because there are bundles on the list and it's also packing more than one game into some rows.

vocab

Nelo Ice said:
now that new daily deals are over whats worth getting?

im thinking of picking up these games
sid meiers pirates
defcon(couldnt dl it for free from green man cuz i have 64 bit)
sniper elite

also i got civcity rome when u guys were hyping it :D :lol

Just a heads up. Pirates is locked at 30 fps, and I don't even think it runs above 1600 res out of the box.

vazel

Banned
Well I'm done. Last game I wanted was Settlers 7 but not at that price.

Here's my haul.
YLek9.jpg

I'm also really happy about all the deals I got at Amazon.com's DD store. 18 games at $92.62. If Amazon keeps having such good deals every year Steam is going to have serious competition.

Off-topic but... copy/paste from BC2 thread:

GAF! I need your help!

I need someone in UK to buy two copies of BC2:Vietnam for me since its 5 pounds at the EA UK Store (after adding discount code HotUKDeals20%). I will paypal everything that is needed to be paypaled!

Please PM! D:

Please?? :D

No, I don't need steam copy since I don't have BC2 activated in steam :(

Toma

vazel said:
If Amazon keeps having such good deals every year Steam is going to have serious competition.

Still cant believe the low interest when I was participating in that amazon thread a while back. CHEAP GAMES, CHEAP GAMES, I shouted.. And no one cared. Only 1 that fought the fight for justice, to find some others who dared.

.. um yeah.

But yeah. Steam has more going for it than just the prices. Amazon could be a competition but they wont be.

Sanjay

Dacvak said:
I'm buying up, like, 10 gift copies of HL2-EP1-EP2 just because. I have high hopes that we'll get an announce date for EP3 this year, and I feel like I'll celebrate by giving away HL2+eps.

To gaffers? if so make sure its some sort of gift where you are bound to beat them games!

Toma

~Kinggi~ said:
lmao i just snagged this up real quick. Didnt even know what the game was until after the deal ended.

Sweeeeet!

Repost for great steaming you-missed-it-and-have-no-excuses-anymore justice!

They forgot to set back the single prices for Grand Ages: Rome!! They only changed the pack price again.
Go get it!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2996/?cc=us

(That was actually a deal for 2 days ago)

Volcynika

shagg_187 said:
Off-topic but... copy/paste from BC2 thread:

Please?? :D

No, I don't need steam copy since I don't have BC2 activated in steam :(

Well you can't gift Vietnam for BC2 in Steam anymore I don't think, so that shouldn't matter. :lol

DSc

Toma said:
Still cant believe the low interest when I was participating in that amazon thread a while back. CHEAP GAMES, CHEAP GAMES, I shouted.. And no one cared. Only 1 that fought the fight for justice, to find some others who dared.

.. um yeah.

But yeah. Steam has more going for it than just the prices. Amazon could be a competition but they wont be.

I'm in the UK. Do you know if I can I download games from Amazon.com? There were a couple I was looking at earlier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom