• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
~Kinggi~ said:
i bought both Grand Ages games but for some reason in my profile area there is only one listing for Grand Ages. Is the expansion packed into that or dlc or something?

Yeah you're all good. The Augustus Campaign is just build into th the original game and can be launched from the main menu.

When you start the game, copy the expansion CD-Key onto your clipboard, not the original game key. You'll be prompted for it once it loads.

echoshifting said:
I have played all the 2D titles to death, they are soooooo fucking good. I will not hesitate to double dip if they ever pop up on Steam.
I am glad to find others who loved this series. I don't think the old ones will end up on Steam but maybe they will pop up on GOG so I can start buying them for people again.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
wayward archer said:
Yeah you're all good. The Augustus Campaign is just build into th the original game and can be launched from the main menu.

When you start the game, copy the expansion CD-Key onto your clipboard, not the original game key. You'll be prompted for it once it loads.

Shit.. what if I did the first? Reinstall? >_<

Schmattakopf said:
I am glad to find others who loved this series. I don't think the old ones will end up on Steam but maybe they will pop up on GOG so I can start buying them for people again.

Who owns the rights to those games now, anyway? Do you know?

Truly would be a shame if they never resurface, they still play great.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
epmode said:
LOL @ murdering cute bunnies for 1 XP in Divinity. Game looks good, runs well.
Stop while you can, just a tip :lol...on the other hand, kill every rabbit you see :D!

ksimm

Steam delivers the final blow to my wallet!

Divinity II
Mafia II + All DLC
Settlers VII

and special thanks to Toma...
Grange Ages Rome
Grand Ages: Rome - Reign of Augustus

K.O. Well done Steam!

Now I have a backlog to keep me going to Xmas 2011. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
echoshifting said:
Ohhhhh if you INSIST.

Note that none of these are on Steam (yet)...at least I don't think so. Just replying to the conversation about the Impressions city builders on the previous page.

Incidentally, of all the Impressions/TM city builders, the gods in Pharaoh & Cleopatra are far and away the most vindictive. They will seriously wreck your shit.

The gods in Zeus & Poseidon are a bit different in that, depending on your patron gods, there are some gods that just won't like you no matter what you do. But if you build temples and keep your patron gods happy, they'll physically enter the city and knock the shit out of whatever god is attacking you.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom has "ancestors," and they are by far the easiest to deal with. So if you don't like the gods in the other games, this might be the title for you. It's my 2nd favorite in the series (after Zeus & Poseidon).

Zeus & Poseidon has a very unique quest system the other games don't have, and this is what really makes it shine above the others, in my opinion (well, that and greek gods duking it out in the middle of your city). So for instance, you might need to summon a legendary Greek hero to slay a hydra guarding the only quarry on the map. To beat him, you need Hercules - so you build the Hall of Hercules. You'll then see a checklist of city improvements your capital needs to summon Hercules...this is typically a list reminiscent of scenario goals in the rest of the series (i.e., have a culture rating of 20, stockpile 32 jugs of wine...etc.). Once you meet every requirement, you can summon the hero. He'll make his way to whatever monster needs stomping. Furthermore, he'll lead your troops into battle if you decide to invade a rival city.

(that wasn't much of a spoiler by the way, I think I just took bits from three different scenarios and mushed them together)

Finally, Zeus utilizes established cities in ways the other games don't. Each campaign is called an "adventure," modeled after a particular Greek myth. You will start on a gigantic map - this is your capital city. Every two or three missions you will leave to build an outpost on a much smaller map...other than that you just keep building up that primary city...which is really fun and satisfying. They do this to some extent in a few of the other titles, but Zeus & Poseidon does it best. If you despair at the sight of a blank map after you just built the city of your dreams...you must own Zeus & Poseidon.

I have played all the 2D titles to death, they are soooooo fucking good. I will not hesitate to double dip if they ever pop up on Steam.
This isn't making me want to play them. :lol

Toma said:
Shit.. what if I did the first? Reinstall? >_<

I dunno did you buy them separately? I just bought and downloaded Grand Ages: Rome Gold the day it was first on sale and it installed one file. When it booted up I copied the original game key to the clipboard but that didn't work and I had to type in the expansion key manually.

As long as you see the Augustus Campaign button on the main menu I think you're ok.

This game is fantastic btw. Been playing it on and off all day today. I love the format of the campaign, and how you can build up estates that can send you resources after you head off to go govern somewhere else.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Dice, check your pms please. I forgot your Steam ID :lol

wayward archer said:
This game is fantastic btw. Been playing it on and off all day today. I love the format of the campaign, and how you can build up estates that can send you resources after you head off to go govern somewhere else.

Thats why I keep telling people to buy it since its still on sale!
And thanks! Campaign shows up.

epmode

So does anyone know how to skip those intro movies in Divinity 2? I guess I can just delete the video files but I prefer to do that stuff in config screens or launch options.

vocab

Does anyone know if Blood Bowl: Dark Elves edition still has activation limit? The steam page just says Securom. I really want to say fuck my beliefs and buy it, but I don't want securom fucking my pc up.

How are you guys getting these lists of everything you've bought. I can't find a link to my purchase history in the client.

EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't realize that small and oddly placed "X's Account" in the upper right corner was a link.

jediyoshi

tahrikmili said:
I was going to double dip for a Steam copy of CoH to get Opposing fronts.. then I saw this:

http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/company-of-heroes-anthology/10035645.html

and I thought, what's the point? smh..

Prices on steam are really awful today.

Yeah, $2.5/1.50 for HL2? Valve should just close shop. Game over, man.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
How are you guys getting these lists of everything you've bought. I can't find a link to my purchase history in the client.

Click on your account link on the top right of the client

Toma

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Click on your account name in the right upper corner.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Open steam client.

Go to view->settings.

There are three buttons that have stuff like "change password" on them, ABOVE them is a small link that says "View Account History" click on that.

Toma said:
Click on your account name in the right upper corner.

or this.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Dr. Zoidberg said:

EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't realize that small and oddly placed "X's Account" in the upper right corner was a link.

This is kinda neat too.

Steam Calculator

Thanks, everyone. I kept looking in the wrong (more logical?) places.

OneEightZero said:
This is kinda neat too.

Steam Calculator

Yeah, I've seen this posted but you have to make your account public and that's usually not a good idea. Is there any risk with having the account set to public or is it just a loss of privacy?

Shaneus

Anyone know if the Mafia 2 DLC can be gifted? It seems to be cheaper on the US store (possibly moreso on the UK one) than the Australian store.

Toma

bounchfx said:
that's cool!

my total value of my account is 1020.30

Gives me this:

Found 0 Games with a value of
$0.00 USD

...Seems to be serious inflation going on in my account.

Edit: Atleast I have a 1:1 currency exchange rate that all you others dont have.

JDS 1977

Banned
I'd buy Divinity II on amazon DD since I have lots of credit there. but it's like 26$ on there vs. $19.99 on Steam. I wish they price matched them today. Unless someone wants to gift it to me for 20$ Amazon gift credit I'll probably wait until the next sale for it to drop down.

bm1616

Heres the minor damage to me

Shattered Union
Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Star Wars: KOTOR
Company of Heroes

Total: $18.46

Other than Shattered Union (50 cents) I only bought games that I was definitely going to play.

gotee12

Toma said:
Gives me this:

Found 0 Games with a value of
$0.00 USD

...Seems to be serious inflation going on in my account.

Edit: Atleast I have a 1:1 currency exchange rates that all you others dont have.
Yeah, it's only finding 36 of the 96 Steam games I own...

Holy fudge, 96 Steam games. My gaming rig is only 2 months old... :lol

One of my friends sent me Zeno Clash. And saw it in my library, but when i looked again its no longer there. And I went to my gift management and it aint there. He keeps resending it through email but it wont open. WTF is going on!?!?!

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Labombadog said:
One of my friends sent me Zeno Clash. And saw it in my library, but when i looked again its no longer there. And I went to my gift management and it aint there. He keeps resending it through email but it wont open. WTF is going on!?!?!

Log out and log back in.

Max

I am not Max
What's the closest thing to Gran Turismo on Steam? I can't get on the PS3 right now and I want to race cars

Probably should have got Dirt 2 when it was on sale :/

BioHazard

2h6x9qu.png

Can anyone who have L4D or L4D2 gift me Half life 1 anthology? posted in the gift thread but no one answered yet and i have to leave soon :[

Im_Special

OH MY GOD I HAVE A PROBLEM!

Damage since the sale started

59 games
AEcJS.jpg

164.98$ total or by my count 2.79$ per game

(but there's so much awesome in there. :lol )

Super Meat Boy $3.75
Battlefield Bad Company 2 $6.79
PB Winterbottom $0.49
Oddboxx $12.49
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands $4.99
Deus EX Complete $2.99
The Witcher $5.00
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box $5.00
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light $5.10
Bully: Scholarship Edition $3.75
Darksiders $10.00
Far Cry 2 $4.99