• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want Settlers 7 and Divinity 2 but the DRM is putting me off.

Anyone had any experiences with Ubi's DRM? Is it really as bad as they say? And will Securom still fuck up my PC?

echoshifting said:
You can still get most of 'em new on Amazon. Zeus is on sale, fulfilled by Amazon, for 11.89. Not sure how long that will last. Expansion is kinda crazy expensive, so it might be better to do this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018V7O7C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Even though it isn't fulfilled by them. Pharaoh and Cleoptra are less than $9...(warning: this game gets HARD, especially the expansion)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C05XRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Emperor, on the other hand, remains rare...which is a real shame; it was one of the best.
That's true but that's essentially buying it used.

Steam Store Transactions said:
1 Jan 2011 $5.45 Purchase
Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta, Mafia II DLC - Greaser, Mafia II DLC - Renegade, Mafia II DLC - Vegas, Mafia II DLC - War Hero

1 Jan 2011 $4.99 Purchase
Bionic Commando Rearmed

31 Dec 2010 $7.49 Purchase
Hitman Collection

31 Dec 2010 $9.99 Purchase
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC

29 Dec 2010 $4.99 Purchase
The Ball

27 Dec 2010 $6.95 Purchase
Killing Floor Bundle

20 Dec 2010 $12.49 Purchase
OddBoxx

20 Dec 2010 $6.79 Purchase
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition

$59.14 - 19 games and 5 pieces of DLC, that's the price of one new release.

Pretty much done with this sale, here is the rundown of my purchraces:

Gift/Guest Pass
Half-Life 1 Anthology (Thank you OneEightZero <3)

Gift/Guest Pass
Winterbottom (Thank you blackmamba1187 :))

31 Dec 2010$7.49Purchase
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars

31 Dec 2010$7.49Purchase
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3

30 Dec 2010$2.49Purchase
Future Wars

27 Dec 2010$4.99Purchase
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)

25 Dec 2010$3.00Purchase
Overlord Complete Pack

24 Dec 2010$4.99Purchase
Torchlight

22 Dec 2010$6.80Purchase
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

22 Dec 2010$2.00Purchase
Defense Grid: The Awakening

22 Dec 2010$1.25Purchase
Toki Tori

21 Dec 2010$4.99Purchase
Indie 2D Pack

21 Dec 2010$3.99Purchase
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package

21 Dec 2010$3.75Purchase
Super Meat Boy

Overall $53.23 , slightly over my $50 budget....oh well.

Sye d'Burns

Toma said:
Patrician III is a good game but not a city builder like the others. More a Trading simulation. Might be even more "niche" than the city builders we were talking about earlier.
Same goes for Port Royale 2. Both are nice games, but I'd say that 1 of the 2 is enough atm. You can still check out whether you like the style and buy the other one on a later sale.
If I had to choose I'd probably go for Port Royale though.

I agree that it's a bit of a toss up but I'd choose Patrician III instead. $1.99 vs $2.49. Fifty cents more if you buy the Patricians & Merchants pack which includes Patrician III and two additional games tilts the balance for me.

That and Darkstar One is turning into quite the pleasant surprise for me.

smurfx

get some go again
well i got the game i wanted the most (counter strike source) but missed out on gta 4. i just wanted the game by itself and not the pack with other games. oh well.

counter strike source
super meat boy ( didn't work on two pc's i tried it on!)
crysis pack
shatter
rush
toki tori
machinarium
flat out ultimate carnage

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
1 Jan 2011
$14.97
Rogue Trooper, Mafia, Painkiller: Black Edition

31 Dec 2010
$12.49
Hitman Collection, Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle

30 Dec 2010
$7.49
Swords and Soldiers HD, The Ball

28 Dec 2010
$11.68
Lost Horizon, Rush

27 Dec 2010
$4.99
Mirror's Edge

25 Dec 2010
$3.00
Blue Toad Murder Files

22 Dec 2010
$17.14
Bully: Scholarship Edition, Darkest of Days

21 Dec 2010
$9.99
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Indie Brain Pack

21 Dec 2010
$3.99
Peggle Deluxe

20 Dec 2010
$30.09
Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis, Indie Future Pack, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Super Meat Boy, Exodus From the Earth, Runaway, A Road Adventure, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Puzzler World, Sniper Elite, Blueberry Garden, Winterbottom

115.83 for 41 games.

Stumpokapow said:
115.83 for 41 games.

I'm sure you've played it but for anyone who hasn't Painkiller (the original) is one of the hidden gems of Steam.

One of the last true arcade FPS. Shares very elite company. Oh, the the bosses are about as epic as you'll find.

Seagoon

That's me done for the year, my backlog is now offensive. :lol I'm building a new PC late January / February and now I have a good range of games to break it in. I figure this lot should last me until next Christmas.

Not a bad list considering the total cost is around the same it would cost me for 2 full price retail games.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bioshock 2
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
P.B Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy
The Witcher
Resident Evil 5
Mass Effect 2
Wings of Prey
Operation Flashpoint
Bully
Dead Rising 2
F.E.A.R Pack
Fallout New Vegas
Serious Sam HD First and Second Encounters
Sim City 4
Rush
Dead Space
Swords and Soldiers
Greed Corps
Red Alert 3
Mafia 2
Mafia

Most expensive game was Fallout New Vegas for $25. Cheapest was P.B Winterbottom for .50c. Big thanks to Azentium and BloddySinner for help with restricted / cheaper US games.

1-D_FTW

I feel a lot better about spending 115 on Steam when I look at the breakdown. 21 games + 2 Mafia DLC campaigns + BC2 Vietnam DLC (my most expensive purchase).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Weenerz said:
I thought they ended on the 2nd?

The 2nd will most likely be a recap on popular sales.

Edit: Still on the fence about Divinity. The price tag is really pushing me away. I love a good WRPG, though. I still need to play NWN2, Dead Rising 2 and Mafia 2, though. I can't seem to find enough info on this game to see if it's worth the price. Downloading the demo now.

LugNut74

I am shooting myself for not picking up The Witcher when it was a daily deal. Damn missed out. I guess it showing up Sunday is next to none. I can hope though.

EvaPlusMinus said:
The 2nd will most likely be a recap on popular sales.

Edit: Still on the fence about Divinity. The price tag is really pushing me away. I love a good WRPG, though. I still need to play NWN2, Dead Rising 2 and Mafia 2, though. I can't seem to find enough info on this game to see if it's worth the price. Downloading the demo now.

Yup. I just can't justify $20 for Divinity no matter how hard I try.

I know it's not the case with most games, but if I buy the Half-Life complete pack, will I be able to gift copies of games I already own?

Bought:

Aquaria
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crisis Wars
Darksiders
Blueberry Garden
Braid
Lugaru HD
Machinarium
Overlord
Overlord II
Overlord Raising Hell
Penumbra: Overture
Super Meat Boy

Not a bad little haul.

YianGaruga said:
I know it's not the case with most games, but if I buy the Half-Life complete pack, will I be able to gift copies of games I already own?

Yup.

Blizzard

Banned
LugNut74 said:
I am shooting myself for not picking up The Witcher when it was a daily deal. Damn missed out. I guess it showing up Sunday is next to none. I can hope though.
If it doesn't come up again tomorrow, it looks like you can get the Enhanced Edition from Amazon digital download for $5 right now, but I don't know if that's censored or not, and I don't know how important Steam/censoring/possible non-Steam DRM is to you.

Chris R

Dec 22, 2010 - $7.50 - Just Cause 2
Dec 20, 2010 - $3.75 - Super Meat Boy

My damage. Easily 100+ hours of stuff to do for the low low low price of $11.25 :lol

Sye d'Burns

AceBandage said:

I'm not sure you can. I went to buy the complete pack and intended to gift the extra HL2 and episodes from the Orange box to my brother but when I proceeded to checkout it informed me that they were not giftable. I may have misread but I'm 99% certain I did not.

Sye d'Burns said:
I'm not sure you can. I went to buy the complete pack and intended to gift the extra HL2 and episodes from the Orange box to my brother but when I proceeded to checkout it informed me that they were not giftable. I may have misread but I'm 99% certain I did not.

I did the same thing a while back, and was able to gift the HL2 and Episode 1 games to someone after buying TOB.
I'd try checking again.

Sye d'Burns

AceBandage said:
I did the same thing a while back, and was able to gift the HL2 and Episode 1 games to someone after buying TOB.
I'd try checking again.

Well, I can't now. Since I own everything in the complete pack my only option is to buy the pack as a gift. Maybe someone else can check it out. I'm fairly certain I'm right, it was just this afternoon after all. Could be mistaken though. Somebody try it, my curiosity is piqued.

MightyKAC

BomberMouse said:
Oh god, I lost my wallet yesterday while shopping for new years eve and had to block my CC, no more steam games for me I guess :(

I actually managed to leave my wallet on a city bus on the 24rd and as soon as I realized it was missing I cancelled my cards as well. When the lost and found was open I checked there immediately and was able to recover all my stuff (and surprisingly enough my money as well)
but it also landed me in the same boat as you until I get a new card sent to me.

Pisses me off too because I REALLY wanted to buy DA: Ultimate pack as well.

Btw: I hope you recover your wallet dude.

Luigi87

Sye d'Burns said:
Well, I can't now. Since I own everything in the complete pack my only option is to buy the pack as a gift. Maybe someone else can check it out. I'm fairly certain I'm right, it was just this afternoon after all. Could be mistaken though. Somebody try it, my curiosity is piqued.

Should have been able to according to this.

Wallach

Blizzard said:
If it doesn't come up again tomorrow, it looks like you can get the Enhanced Edition from Amazon digital download for $5 right now, but I don't know if that's censored or not, and I don't know how important Steam/censoring/possible non-Steam DRM is to you.

You can patch the censorship out of any NA version with the director's cut patch (provided by CDProjekt). There is no DRM for the game anymore, it was patched out.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Is FM 2011 upgrade worth it over 2010? What does the new game add? I played the 2011 demo a bit but didn't see any major changes.

MisterRoboto said:
Now that daily sales are over, any must have games under $5?

I have a lot of recommendations but no time to type them up right now, will write up something later, but I highly recommend the Indie Mix Pack $4.99 - has Darwinia, DEFCON, and Eufloria, 3 awesome games.

KuroNeeko

Help me out GAF.

Looking to make one last purchase (outside of Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble) this sale but nothing is really jumping out. I like how Divinity looks and it looks like it would make a suitable substitute for Oblivion since I couldn't get it.

Thing is - if I'm going to shell out $20 for a game, then why don't I just pick up something off my wishlist? I've been waiting for Bloodlines forever and it's $20. Aquaria - $20 (though to be honest, I'm not really in the mood for Aquaria right now.) Longest Journey / Dreamfall pack - $25.

Any suggestions?

(Will be picking up Grand Ages: Rome, Children of the Nile, and perhaps Civ IV as well. Forgot that they were sitting in my cart.)

Sye d'Burns

Luigi87 said:
Should have been able to according to this.

Yep, I know. Although it said something entirely different by the cross at the bottom of the order during checkout. It's too late for me, since I just backed out of that sale and went on pick up the HL1 pack instead. Eh, if someone ends up doing it I'd be interested in finding out how it went for them.

Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following cases:

Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.

Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.

Perhaps the copies weren't giftable because the "Half Life Complete" pack wasn't one of the purchase options.

Volcynika

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Isn't there one more day tomorrow?

Wonder if this means I should just buckle and buy The Last Remnant?

99.9999% chance of being a 'best of' the second week's sales. You can hope and wait till tomorrow anyways.

gotee12

Sye d'Burns said:
It didn't give me an extra copy of HL2 when I bought the pack. I too saw the "no extra copies warning". In the US, if that matters...

Max

I am not Max
Max said:
What's the closest thing to Gran Turismo on Steam? I can't get on the PS3 right now and I want to race cars

Probably should have got Dirt 2 when it was on sale :/
Did I answer my own question :lol

Hope that goes back on sale tomorrow maybe?

Dambrosi

Banned
Okay, now that the daily sales are over, my damage for this sale:

Deus Ex Collection
Mass Effect 2
Darksiders
Shattered Union
Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
F.E.A.R.: Ultimate Shooter Edition
Killing Floor + all DLC bundle
Serious Sam HD Double Pack
Crysis Complete

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
CivCity: Rome
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete

All those in italics were gifted, for which I thank all those concerned.

All that for £31.20. Good haul. Might be more tomorrow, but that's for then.

John

MisterRoboto said:
Now that daily sales are over, any must have games under $5?
i'm looking, other than daily deals what i've found is

bloody good time
second sight
mafia

what else should i get?

Zeno Clash, Mafia II, FarCry 2, Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle, Crysis Complete (NA), Dirt 2, Mirror's Edge, Back to the Future: The Game, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction, Mass Effect 2, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Assassin's Creed II, Bioshock 2, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Winterbottom, Bloody Good Time, Fallout 3 (NA), FEAR 2: Project Origin (NA), Super Meat Boy, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition.

A grand total of $162, for 24 games (excluding BTTF, which I guess could make it 29).

Not a bad haul.

Carm

LugNut74 said:

The Witcher is 5 bucks on Amazon atm digital download and unless amazon puts some funky drm on it, it shouldnt have any since it was patched out on retail at 1.5 I believe.

Bia Road to Hill 30
Bia Earned in Blood
Judge Dredd vs Death
Half Life Blue Shift
Half Life Opposing Force
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl
Stalker Call of Pripyat
Jedi Knight Collection
Winterbottom

Total: 24.18

If Crysis goes back on sale I'll probably grab it.

smurfx said:
well i got the game i wanted the most (counter strike source) but missed out on gta 4. i just wanted the game by itself and not the pack with other games. oh well.

counter strike source
super meat boy ( didn't work on two pc's i tried it on!)
crysis pack
shatter
rush
toki tori
machinarium
flat out ultimate carnage
GTAIV vanilla should still be on sale for $5 at Amazon. Unless you want everything on Steam...

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
LovingSteam said:
Yup. I just can't justify $20 for Divinity no matter how hard I try.

Dude, hit up the demo before making up your mind. I thought it was pretty horrible. Saved me 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom