• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sye d'Burns

My Aching Wallet said:
Jan 1, 2011 $16.21 Purchase
Half-Life 1 Anthology, Patricians and Merchants, Sacred Gold, Just Cause

Jan 1, 2011 $13.11 Purchase
Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne, Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle, Children of the Nile Complete Pack

Dec 30, 2010 $11.00 Purchase
Europa Universalis III: Complete, Grand Ages: Rome Gold, Imperium Romanum: Gold Edition

Dec 29, 2010 $9.79 Purchase
Amnesa: The Dark Descent, Plants vs. Zombies, CivCity: Rome

Dec 29, 2010 $13.73 Purchase
King's Bounty: Collection, IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Dec 26, 2010 $10.09 Purchase
Red Faction Guerrilla, X-Tension, X: Beyond the Frontier, X2: The Threat

Dec 24, 2010 $3.49 Purchase
Winterbottom, Overlord Complete Pack

Dec 22, 2010 Free Purchase
Railworks UK Buildings Model Pack

Railworks ThePortRoad

Railworks 2 - Keeping Up with the Diesels Scenario Add-On

Dec 22, 2010 $9.75 Purchase
Railworks, Bully: Scholarship Edition

Dec 21, 2010 $13.42 Purchase
Puzzle Quest, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Sid Meier's Pirates!, JC2 DLC - Bull's Eye Assault Rifle, JC2 DLC - Chevalier Classic, JC2 DLC - Rico's Signature Gun, JC2 DLC - Agency Hovercraft, JC2 DLC - Monster Truck, JC2 Black Market Boom Pack, JC2 DLC: Black Market Aerial Pack

Dec 21, 2010 $9.22 Purchase
Indie Kids Pack, Tropico Reloaded, Magic: The Gathering - Expansion 3

Dec 19, 2010 Free Purchase
Humble Indie Bundle 2 - Retail

Dec 9, 2010 Free Purchase
Humble Indie Bundle.

Patricians & Merchants was worth it just for Darkstar One. Just played it for around an hour and I was really getting into it. You can not go wrong for 2.50.

Curse you Toma for reigniting my city building love.
Bless you
I should make you add me just so you see how much of my life gets devoured by them. :lol

Too top those off, I also picked up Neverwinter Nights: Diamond, Planescape Torment, Divine Divinity and Baldurs Gate I & II from GOG

I'm still holding out hope on a Morrowind double-dip but I'm not biting for anything less than 50%.

Javaman

Labombadog said:
One of my friends sent me Zeno Clash. And saw it in my library, but when i looked again its no longer there. And I went to my gift management and it aint there. He keeps resending it through email but it wont open. WTF is going on!?!?!
Check your e-mail linked to your account. Also the junk filter.

Asparagus

20qge2o.jpg

Not too bad this year, only spent £55.91.

I heard that Divinity 2 was broken, but then got fixed with a patch, or sequel or something. Does anyone know if dragon knight saga is the broken one, or if ego draconis is the broken one? Is dragon knight a full sequel to ego draconis, or is it just some sort of patched version? Anyone know?

FoxSpirit

Okay, I need someone who trusts me when I say it will be a week until I can PayPal >.<

I want tp pickup BionicCommando:Rearmed because it's awesome.
And SwarmArena because even though it's only got 2hours worth of content, that's okay with me for 2.50

Btw, why does Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh keep popping up on Steam sales? Played the beta but man, that game was sooooo boring.

vocab

Trent Strong said:
I heard that Divinity 2 was broken, but then got fixed with a patch, or sequel or something. Does anyone know if dragon knight saga is the broken one, or if ego draconis is the broken one? Is dragon knight a full sequel to ego draconis, or is it just some sort of patched version? Anyone know?

Dragon knight saga is ego draconis "remastered" with an expansion. I fired up the demo, and it has some slight hitching. Typical gamebryo jankyness. I imagine Dragon Knight saga is less broken mechanically than Ego Draconis.

epmode

FoxSpirit said:
Btw, why does Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh keep popping up on Steam sales? Played the beta but man, that game was sooooo boring.
It is awesome and you are wrong. I also have it on good authority that you are a pathological puppy-kicker.

vocab said:
Dragon knight saga is ego draconis "remastered" with an expansion. I fired up the demo, and it has some slight hitching. Typical gamebryo jankyness. I imagine Dragon Knight saga is less broken mechanically than Ego Draconis.

Ahh good, the remastered version is the one I'm looking for, thanks. I was hoping it would go on sale.

Artofwar420

Lime said:
:lol

I love the "creatures" that have been showing up on the storefront during this sale.

Totes, love that they're doing something with them rather than just have them pop up a few random times in the website. I want a plushie of the batman one.

Bebpo

Banned
felipepl said:

I dunno about the PC port, but the latest Bionic Commando was a good game with some flaws that people complained too much about. The camera is not perfect and if you're bad at the game it can be frustrating, but if you're in the groove it's an awesome swinging fighting experience with some nice visuals and battles. The story sucks though.

Bebpo said:
I dunno about the PC port, but the latest Bionic Commando was a good game with some flaws that people complained too much about. The camera is not perfect and if you're bad at the game it can be frustrating, but if you're in the groove it's an awesome swinging fighting experience with some nice visuals and battles. The story sucks though.
PC Port's great.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sir Garbageman said:
Stupid Question, how did you get this view? Thanks.

Click on you account name in the upper right hand corner.

2kaB2.png

Total = $53.61 excluding HIB2

Pleased with what I ended up with. I don't see myself buying any more games until the Summer sale (except Witcher 2), at least I hope I don't.

Chris R

Last year's sale >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This year's sale.

Not even close IMO, and with tomorrow most likely being a bring back the best, that won't change.
Might be because I already got stuff during the last sale/other sales but I still feel this year's wasn't exactly as explosive as last year's sale

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
12/21/10: Super Meat Boy, Winterbottom, VVVVVV, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. $11.73
12/26/10: FEAR Complete Pack. $10.00
12/27/10: Star Wars KOTOR. $2.49
12/31/10: STALKER CoP + SoC. $4.99
01/01/11: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!, Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition. $8.74

Total: $37.95. Not too bad. Kind of regret missing SimCity 4 & Europa Universalis III.

Papa

Banned
How does Settlers 7 compare to Dawn of Discovery? I just bought DoD yesterday and already love it but I've had my eye on Settlers 7 for a while mainly due to the city building aspects.

felipepl said:

One of 2009's best imho, it gets a lot of unnecessary hate. People just couldn't handle the fact that the game was more linear than they wanted it to be. The story was also a little 'out there'.

The arm mechanics make the platforming and combat quite a bit more interesting than the typical third person shooter. The bosses are amazing. It has an awesome soundtrack too (see: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), and some spectacular pacing leading up to the finale.

.. Fuck it, imma double dip on Steam now. How big is the download?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SteelAttack said:
Thinking of getting Patrician III and Port Royale 2. I have little to no idea as to what they play like, or if they're any good.

Patrician III is a good game but not a city builder like the others. More a Trading simulation. Might be even more "niche" than the city builders we were talking about earlier.
Same goes for Port Royale 2. Both are nice games, but I'd say that 1 of the 2 is enough atm. You can still check out whether you like the style and buy the other one on a later sale.
If I had to choose I'd probably go for Port Royale though.

Ryu

Lets see the damage...

Mafia 2
Winterbottom
Mafia 2 Joe's Adventures
Kane and Lynch 2 (only regret)
King's Bounty Crossworlds
King's Bounty The Legend
King's Bounty Armored Princess
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Bullet Candy
Galcon Fusion
Geometry Wars
Super Laser Racer
VVVVVV
Wings of Prey
Darksiders
Back to the Future the Game
Overlord
Overlord 2+Expansion
Devil May Cry 4
Recettear
Bully
Trials 2
Beat Hazard
Bit.Trip Beat
Chime
Rhythm Zone
Turba
Alpha Protocol
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans
World of Goo
Aquaria
Gish
Lugaru
Penumbra overture
Samorost 2
Lara Croft Guardian of Light
Singularity

Total was about 155.

I am greatly pleased.

Nabs

I NEED SCISSORS said:
One of 2009's best imho, it gets a lot of unnecessary hate. People just couldn't handle the fact that the game was more linear than they wanted it to be. The story was also a little 'out there'.

The arm mechanics make the platforming and combat quite a bit more interesting than the typical third person shooter. The bosses are amazing. It has an awesome soundtrack too (see: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), and some spectacular pacing leading up to the finale.

.. Fuck it, imma double dip on Steam now. How big is the download?

7.7 gb. Controls like a dream with the KB/M. Great multiplayer as well.

PB Winterbottom -.49
OddBoxx -12.49
-Abe's Oddysee
-Abe's Exodus
-Munch's Oddysee
-Strangers Wrath
Super Meat Boy -3.75
Penumbra: Black Plague - Gold Edition -4.99
-Penumbra: Black Plague
-Penumbra: Requiem
Zen Bound 2 -2.49
FEAR Complete Pack -9.99
-FEAR
-Extraction Point DLC
-Perseus Mandate DLC
-FEAR 2: Project Origin
Bioshock 2 - 9.99
Tomb Raider Anniversary- 4.99
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -3.60
Bully: Scholarship Edition - 3.75
Trials 2: Second Edition - 2.50
Mass Effect 2 - 9.99
Darksiders - 10.00
Overlord II - 1.50
Serious Sam HD Double Pack -2.99
-Serious Sam HD The First Encounter
-Serious Sam HD The Second Encounter
The Ball - 4.99
Hitman Collection -7.49
-Hitman: Codename 47
-Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
-Hitman Blood Money
FarCry 2: Fortune Edition - 4.99
Mafia 2 - 12.49
Half-Life: Blue Shift - .74
Half-Life: Opposing Force - .74
Lost Planet 2 - Gift

Steam Total: 114.96
Non-Steam Buys:
Prey (Activated on Steam) - 2.49
Condemned Criminal Origins -3.45

Holiday PC game total: 119.42
Game Count: 34

File Size total: 124GB

Wow me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Bought (i'll be using a 360 pad I think).
Don't don't don't. I use the shit out of my 360 pad on PC games. But this is one that feels like it was made for the mouse. The swinging is such a pleasure with MKB.

SteelAttack said:
Thinking of getting Patrician III and Port Royale 2. I have little to no idea as to what they play like, or if they're any good.
I like them both. Get the Patricians & Merchants pack, you get Darkstar One as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Because everyone was doing it, here are my prospective final purchases for the sale (presumably I won't want anything on the best-of sale tomorrow, but you never know). Any thoughts or things I've missed that people are dying to persuade me to buy? Since I'm sure you all know my particular tastes in games etc. =P I was tempted to get the two $10 LEGO games, but I already have LEGO Batman and the original Indiana Jones in my backlog, and I never finished 100%'ing the original LEGO Star Wars trilogy (I don't own the complete saga/new trilogy). I figure I should wait another year on those.

I'm going with the Jimmy DLC because I think he looks bald and evil.

I saw what someone said about the pirates game being 30 fps, but I like pirate-themed stuff. :( Is it really awful?

cart1el9i.png

Toma

zoku88 said:
I see a lot of those lists without EUIII. zoku is going to have to eat some people >.>

Zoku doesnt need to eat me!

I tried playing with saxony from 1399 to hold out as long as I could. Well. Took about 100 years to get swallowed and I couldnt annex anything :lol
Lot of stuff going on but I really want to like it. These After-Action-Reports are so amazing. =( Someone almost took over the entire world with Japan, planning every battle and economic detail. Its so hard to keep track of the most important thing when EVERYTHING seems to be the most important thing >_<

Stallion Free said:
Don't don't don't. I use the shit out of my 360 pad on PC games. But this is one that feels like it was made for the mouse. The swinging is such a pleasure with MKB.

I'll try it. Is it as good as Splinter Cell with KB/M (pretty much the king of third person control)?

Schmattakopf said:
Zeus is my favorite by far. I wish these games were still available legally.

You can still get most of 'em new on Amazon. Zeus is on sale, fulfilled by Amazon, for 11.89. Not sure how long that will last. Expansion is kinda crazy expensive, so it might be better to do this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018V7O7C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Even though it isn't fulfilled by them. Pharaoh and Cleoptra are less than $9...(warning: this game gets HARD, especially the expansion)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C05XRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Emperor, on the other hand, remains rare...which is a real shame; it was one of the best. Unless you wanna get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CDYGT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'll try it. Is it as good as Splinter Cell with KB/M (pretty much the king of third person control)?
It's better. The swinging feels so natural that it makes me want to punch whoever didn't think of making a Spider-Man game on PC using this control scheme exactly.

Papa

Banned
matt404au said:
How does Settlers 7 compare to Dawn of Discovery? I just bought DoD yesterday and already love it but I've had my eye on Settlers 7 for a while mainly due to the city building aspects.
Anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom