• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Toma said:
Still cant believe the low interest when I was participating in that amazon thread a while back. CHEAP GAMES, CHEAP GAMES, I shouted.. And no one cared. Only 1 that fought the fight for justice, to find some others who dared.

.. um yeah.

But yeah. Steam has more going for it than just the prices. Amazon could be a competition but they wont be.
I think I ended up with 6 games from the Amazon store. Lost Horizon, for instance. 75% off across the board beat Steam in several cases...I think Lost Horizon was only 25% off on Steam.

Amneisac

I picked up the Doom complete pack in the sale. Here's Final Doom on my machine:

Untitled-1.jpg

It's like it's even lower color depth than it's supposed to be or something. It's incredibly grainy and I can hardly tell the enemies from the background. I'm seriously not trying to troll Doom here, I used to love these games, but have I just completely forgotten what they used to look like or am I missing something? The only setting I see is "high" or "low" graphical quality, which I have set to high.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DSc said:
I'm in the UK. Do you know if I can I download games from Amazon.com? There were a couple I was looking at earlier...

Set up a fake american account and use your Credit Card. I live in 66666 Toronto or something.

Enjoy your games that you can download forever free, wherever you want :)

Volcynika said:
Well you can't gift Vietnam for BC2 in Steam anymore I don't think, so that shouldn't matter. :lol
Yeah I know. I just need someone to buy it from EA Store UK since my copy of BC2 is activated via EA Store.

AGAIN: Someone in UK to gift me Two copies of BC2:Vietnam for me since its 5 pounds at the EA UK Store (after adding discount code HotUKDeals20%). I'll gladly paypal!!

PM!!! :(

Ledsen

Toma said:
Will I (ab)use such an opportunity to make another follower...

Of course!
Impressions from CivCity

Best 1€ I've ever spend on a game. (and made my gf addicted.)
Almost only good impressions from gaffers who played it already and a very good entry point in that genre.

Would you recommend it to my GF, who's an accomplished city builder and loves games such as Anno 1404/1707, SimCity Societies, Zoo Tycoon 2 etc?

DSc

Toma said:
Set up a fake american account and use your Credit Card. I live in 66666 Toronto or something.

Enjoy your games that you can download forever free, wherever you want :)

Ah, cool. Cheers!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ledsen said:
Would you recommend it to my GF, who's an accomplished city builder and loves games such as Anno 1404/1707, SimCity Societies, Zoo Tycoon 2 etc?

If she is already quite into these games I'd recommend

They forgot to set back the single prices for Grand Ages: Rome!! They only changed the pack price again.
Go get it!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2996/?cc=us

CivCity is a good game (def. worth 1$/€ in my opinion) but might a bit underwhelming if she already knows lots of citybuilders and Grand Ages has more interconnected relations within the building structures.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
From HIB2, Treasure Hunt, and Holidays, got:

Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans
Aaaaa!!
Bob Came in Pieces
Flight Control HD
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Peggle Nights
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
F.E.A.R.
BIT.TRIP BEAT
Beat Hazard
Chime
Rhythm Zone
Turba
Eversion
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (from Amazon)

Total: $61.07

Seeing it all spelled out like that... I'm pretty happy with the whole thing. Not so happy I spent $60 when I don't have that much to throw around nowadays, but...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Amneisac said:
I picked up the Doom complete pack in the sale. Here's Final Doom on my machine:

Untitled-1.jpg

It's like it's even lower color depth than it's supposed to be or something. It's incredibly grainy and I can hardly tell the enemies from the background. I'm seriously not trying to troll Doom here, I used to love these games, but have I just completely forgotten what they used to look like or am I missing something? The only setting I see is "high" or "low" graphical quality, which I have set to high.
You can use ZDoom to make the DOS Doom games look better. It will get rid of the Grain in that Doom game, but I think the pallet was pretty bland in Final Doom (Don't forget though, Final Doom =/= Doom, they are different games)

Toma

SilverLunar said:
sorry if this has been asked before but Half life anthology wont get cheaper than %75 even though i have HL2 ep1 and 2, what should i do?

Ask someone to gift it to you who owns L4D.

Minsc

Gold Member
Amneisac said:

Untitled-1.jpg

zDoom. Get it now! It even automatically detects Steam's install locations.

Ledsen

Mr Sandman said:
Wow, Far Cry 2 is really boring. But JKII is more fun than ever so it kinda evens out.

Give it 10 hours and you'll be agreeing with me that it's one of the best games ever.

Toma said:
If she is already quite into these games I'd recommend

CivCity is a good game (def. worth 1$/€ in my opinion) but might a bit underwhelming if she already knows lots of citybuilders and Grand Ages has more interconnected relations within the building structures.

Grand Ages seems pretty cool, but she really hates combat... is there any way to play it without having to fight that much, or just steamroll your enemies on an easier difficulty or something?

Toma

shintoki said:
Childern of the Nile is up on Steam

Yup and I also advertised it in every post except on this page :lol
Loved that game. Bought it again 2 days ago to finally play the addon levels.
But there is not much besides CivCity, Children of the Nile and Grand Ages: Rome.

Edit: Actually funny that all games from the genre were on sale.

vazel

Banned
The Impressions games are awesome I still have my 4-disc pack. The only thing I don't like is having to appease the gods otherwise they destroy your shit. What does that have to do with city building?

Edit: Hmm, according to wiki you can turn off the gods at least in Caesar 3. I never knew that haha.

Ledsen said:
Give it 10 hours and you'll be agreeing with me that it's one of the best games ever.

Yeah, Far Cry 2 is really dull at first, but once you know what you're doing, have a good set of weapons and a bunch of cash, it's a ton of fun completing missions, destroying guard posts, taking on assassinations, hunting for diamonds and tapes, etc - I'd say that if you aren't enjoying it by the time you get to the southern area of the game world, then it's fair to say you won't enjoy the rest.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
vazel said:
The Impressions games are awesome I still have my 4-disc pack. The only thing I don't like is having to appease the gods otherwise they destroy your shit. What does that have to do with city building?
Religion. It just ruins shit!

I'll probably pick up Children of the Nile tomorrow, to round out all my city builders. Grand Ages, CivCity, and CON. I also should be getting in Anno/DoD from Goozex for about 5$ also. And just waiting on a stronger price collapse for Settlers 7

slidewinder said:
Hinterland? Worth $2.50 to someone with a fairly high tolerance for badness in loot whoring games?

Absolutely. I love this game. Has an ActRaiser vibe, in that you are simultaneously building a town and killing monsters. Of course the gameplay is nothing like ActRaiser but I always think of it when I play this.

If you like city builders, consider the Tilted Mill pack.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ledsen said:
And then give it 20 and you'll be agreeing with me that it's one of the worst! :lol

Fredescu

slidewinder said:
Hinterland? Worth $2.50 to someone with a fairly high tolerance for badness in loot whoring games?
Yes. It's pretty awesome, but it's only slightly a loot whoring game. I've only played a "short" game so far though, so perhaps there is more loot if you play a longer game. In a short game it's more about managing your visitors correctly and making sure you get your food and gold production happening. It took me a couple of goes to understand it all, and even then you can get off to a bad start and have to start again. It's sorta rough, but I would definitely recommend it if you can handle that and you like the sound of the description.

Toma said:
Ah thanks. Well atleast Caesar III then. I got recommended Zeus (+Poseidon) a few days ago. You dont happen to know where I can find that online? Played most of the others (Including CIII) already.
Zeus is my favorite by far. I wish these games were still available legally.

Toma

Im_Special said:
Ok final damage from this sale

Someone talk me out of Grand Ages: Rome real quick. :lol

Nope. Sorry. More love to city builders!

Toma said:
Nope. Sorry. More love to city builders!

Ohhhhh if you INSIST.

Note that none of these are on Steam (yet)...at least I don't think so. Just replying to the conversation about the Impressions city builders on the previous page.

Incidentally, of all the Impressions/TM city builders, the gods in Pharaoh & Cleopatra are far and away the most vindictive. They will seriously wreck your shit.

The gods in Zeus & Poseidon are a bit different in that, depending on your patron gods, there are some gods that just won't like you no matter what you do. But if you build temples and keep your patron gods happy, they'll physically enter the city and knock the shit out of whatever god is attacking you.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom has "ancestors," and they are by far the easiest to deal with. So if you don't like the gods in the other games, this might be the title for you. It's my 2nd favorite in the series (after Zeus & Poseidon).

Zeus & Poseidon has a very unique quest system the other games don't have, and this is what really makes it shine above the others, in my opinion (well, that and greek gods duking it out in the middle of your city). So for instance, you might need to summon a legendary Greek hero to slay a hydra guarding the only quarry on the map. To beat him, you need Hercules - so you build the Hall of Hercules. You'll then see a checklist of city improvements your capital needs to summon Hercules...this is typically a list reminiscent of scenario goals in the rest of the series (i.e., have a culture rating of 20, stockpile 32 jugs of wine...etc.). Once you meet every requirement, you can summon the hero. He'll make his way to whatever monster needs stomping. Furthermore, he'll lead your troops into battle if you decide to invade a rival city.

(that wasn't much of a spoiler by the way, I think I just took bits from three different scenarios and mushed them together)

Finally, Zeus utilizes established cities in ways the other games don't. Each campaign is called an "adventure," modeled after a particular Greek myth. You will start on a gigantic map - this is your capital city. Every two or three missions you will leave to build an outpost on a much smaller map...other than that you just keep building up that primary city...which is really fun and satisfying. They do this to some extent in a few of the other titles, but Zeus & Poseidon does it best. If you despair at the sight of a blank map after you just built the city of your dreams...you must own Zeus & Poseidon.

I have played all the 2D titles to death, they are soooooo fucking good. I will not hesitate to double dip if they ever pop up on Steam.

~Kinggi~

Banned
i bought both Grand Ages games but for some reason in my profile area there is only one listing for Grand Ages. Is the expansion packed into that or dlc or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom