• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK GAF, help me choose..

NWN2 Platinum?
Runaway 1/2?
Broken Sword 1/2/3?

Which of these 3 should I buy?

Please bear in mind that I already played and finished NWN2 but not the expansions.

1-D_FTW

IrishNinja said:
oh, hey - didnt even know this was on steam! what can you guys tell me about it?

Well reviewed game (aside from the dancing mini-game, which I never had an issue with). I enjoyed it a lot when I played it way back when. But I'm a sucker for little pirate ships blowing each other out of the water.

mattiewheels said:
You mean reverse-highway robbery?

And Metro is a steamworks title, I bet you could find it for cheaper somewhere and register the key if you want a low price.

:lol ha yes I mean its robbery for the devs. Thanks though made me sound a little slow.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm going to go ahead and grab Oblivion GOTY for $15 since I missed the last sale unless someone tells me not to. Probably won't have a chance to mod the shit out of it soon but it'll be nice to have a sunday project ready and waiting.

mikespit1200 said:
I'm going to go ahead and grab Oblivion GOTY for $15 unless someone tells me not to. Probably won't have a chance to mod the shit out of it soon but it'll be nice to have a sunday project ready and waiting.

Err... that's not the sale price, is it?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
TheNiX said:
Has the GTA4 PC performance improved enough to make buying it worth while?

It's running smoothly on my machine (i5 750 / 5850 / 4GB), most of the options are maxed but I didn't mess around with the sliders. Liberty City looks pretty nice.

IrishNinja

shagg_187 said:
I told myself I won't purchase anything today cause it's just repeat. I was wrong. Grand Ages + Expansion up in this bitch!!

Also, I had a weird dream that Warhawk went up on sale in Steam (weird, I know) for $2.50 (WEIRD, I KNOW!).

Oh and I also had a dream that I became a mod here. SUPER WEIRD!

:lol problems, son.

if anyone's looking for keys to get in on steam premium, gift me a copy of Bloodlines & ill hook you up! :D

Roofy

XBoar.jpg

im broke :(

Manmedaz

Toma said:
He was fooling you. Hard.

He probably got it gifted by someone else and gifted a game worth 15€ back, which is approximately 20$, which makes the price for Bloodlines in the US.

Case Closed.

Well, guess there's a reason why I never heard of it x). Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I bought CivCity: Rome because of you :D .

Edit :
Toma said:
To top it off, my guess is that Gaffer was Volcynika.

Yes it was.

So there is nothing actually downloaded for BFBC2: Vietnam? :lol Took me a little while to figure that our. And now I have to redownload the games I deleted to make room for it.

LugNut74

Well so far the only game I bought this year is Mass Effect 2. I am debating on picking up NWN2 platinum for 10 bucks. Can't decide. Played the shit out of the first NWN game but now sure how great this one is.

I am heading over to amazon now to pick up The Witcher now for 5 bucks since steam did not put it up again.

So not to bad this year.

I <3 Memes said:
So there is nothing actually downloaded for BFBC2: Vietnam? :lol Took me a little while to figure that our. And now I have to redownload the games I deleted to make room for it.

Yeah, it's already part of the latest BC2 patch. You just need a key to activate it. :)

mikespit1200 said:
It's 25% off till tomorrow. Since I missed the 50% and don't really care since it's only a $5 difference I figured I would grab it just to have it around.

Well... the only thing I will tell you is that Morrowind (which GAF considers a superior game) is on sale for $7 at Amazon (unless of course you already own Morrowind or you prefer Steam integration).

Shaneus

Hm... that wasn't painful at all. At least, it didn't *feel* painful... well, not as painful as last year's (and my first) Steam sale. Don't see what all the fuss was about, really!

:D

slamskank

final haul

Indie 2D Pack
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures, Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta, Mafia II
Lucasarts Jedi Knight Bundle
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP + SoC
The Ball
Amnesa: The Dark Descent, Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
Just Cause 2
Lara Croft GOL
Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy

Total: $66.10

I don't even want to add up my purchases, I know I put at least $200 into my steam wallet.

Jan 2, 2011
Killing Floor, Grand Ages: Rome (NA)

Jan 1, 2011
Half-Life 2: Episode One, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Half-Life 2

Dec 31, 2010
Team Fortress 2

Dec 29, 2010
Dead Space

Dec 28, 2010
Crysis Complete (NA)

Dec 28, 2010
Star Wars: KOTOR, Mirror's Edge

Dec 26, 2010
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Darksiders, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition, FEAR Complete Pack (NA)

Dec 26, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition, MI:SE Bundle

Dec 24, 2010
Overlord II

Dec 24, 2010
Borderlands GOTY, Bethesda Holiday Sale 2010, Torchlight

stuminus3

Final haul:

Too many to list

Total cost:

Over $700

I sleep well at night knowing I won't have to buy another PC game for 5 years or so.

Forkball

Which Indie Packs should I get? I'm thinking of 2D and Future, any impressions on those? And are there any other great hidden deals that we should all know about?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Manmedaz said:
Well, guess there's a reason why I never heard of it x). Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I bought CivCity: Rome because of you :D .

Edit :

Yes it was.

Okay, I am now ready to play the Sherlock Holmes games using my Science of Deduction :lol

Hope you get to enjoy CivCity. Btw I opened up a thread for it if you havent seen it yet:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417484

Proc

nothing too crazy this year. I was able to resist most of the old games/packs that went on sale, which I never really get around to playing. All except sim city 4, which I really would like to revisit.

My final day will be spent thinking about purchasing Arma gold since I've heard so many neat things come from it. Oh and Vietnam wasn't even on sale but its the game I've played most this holiday.

2m68x8y.jpg

Volcynika

Ok, I looked around and this is a close enough price to what I paid:

Anyone want to trade my Killing Floor bundle (read: game + all dlc skins/etc) for Puzzle Quest 2?

MNC

stuminus3 said:
Final haul:

Too many to list

Total cost:

Over $700

I sleep well at night knowing I won't have to buy another PC game for 5 years or so.
700? :lol No fucking way. I want that list.

WEGGLES

Damage: $47.86

I got HL2: Ep2
Winterbottom
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate
Railworks + DLC
Bully
F.E.A.R.
Just Cause 2 DLC
Super Meat Boy

Not too shabby, considering one game was 1/2 of that. :lol

Volcynika

WEGGLES said:
Damage: $47.86

I got HL2: Ep2
Winterbottom
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate
Railworks + DLC
Bully
F.E.A.R.
Just Cause 2 DLC
Super Meat Boy

Not too shabby, considering one game was 1/2 of that. :lol

You could get Amnesia!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'm still wondering if i should get need for speed.

I don't have many friends that will play it with me (but i guess the online forum will fix that for my autolog wall).

I'm really getting bad reviews from a friend, but she said if i bought it, she would buy it as well, and if i get it i'll gift to another friend, so that's at least 2 other people i can count on.

Thoughs on the quality of the game? I know it probably won't get any DLC, but whatever. What about the core gameplay?

I never managed to play the demo - it expired when i went to try it...

Proc

Also, side stepping double dipping disc based games I already own saved some coin too.

Should I buy the ARMA bundle neogaf? Everyone raves about its "emergent" gameplay. Is it worth checking out if none of my friends who I game with will be playing it (initially until I convince them).

Bebpo

Banned
My haul since the start of the treasure hunt:

new02.jpg

+ Front Mission Evolved from Amazon for $13 to activate on steam & GTA Eps for $5 on amazon. So about ~$200 total. Really didn't expect to spend this much since I already had most of the bigger name games. But all the small sales really add up if you're buying things daily ^^;

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
My Haul:

Jan 2
Oblivion Game of the Year
$14.99

Jan 1, 2011
$2.50
Purchase
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

Dec 29, 2010
$4.80
Purchase
Amnesa: The Dark Descent

Dec 28, 2010
$4.99
Purchase
Indie 2D Pack

Dec 26, 2010
$4.99
Purchase
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

Dec 25, 2010
$1.47
Purchase
Duels of the Planeswalkers - Ears of the Elves DLC, Duels of the Planeswalkers - Mind of Void DLC, Duels of the Planeswalkers - Thoughts of Wind DLC

Dec 24, 2010
$4.99
Purchase
Indie Flight Pack

Dec 23, 2010
$9.99
Purchase
Darksiders

Dec 22, 2010
$1.25
Purchase
Toki Tori

Dec 22, 2010
Free
Purchase
Humble Indie Bundle

Dec 21, 2010
$5.00
Purchase
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

Dec 21, 2010
$4.99
Purchase
Indie Fright Pack

Dec 20, 2010
$2.49
Purchase
Magic: The Gathering - Expansion 3

Dec 20, 2010
$0.49
Purchase
Winterbottom

HIB 1/2
$7

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Got Children of Nile today. Chuuuuuuuuuu

Steam Tally Count!
Tomb Raider Anniversary + GOL: 8.60$
IronGrip: 2.50$
Bully SE, Recettear, Just Cause 2: 18.05$
King Aurthur: 5.60$
BC2: 6.80$
Crysis ME: 7.45$
The Ball/Amnesia: 9.80$
Hitman Blood Money, Far Cry 2 FE, CivCity:Rome: 8.50$
Children of the Nile Pack 3.15$
Grand Ages:Rome 5$

75.45$

GoG, Side of the World

Shadowmagic/Outcast: 10.20
Stronghold: 3.60

13.60$

So I bumped up my year end count to about 400$ thanks to these sales. I planned to spend about 300$, so I didn't miss my mark by too much. Next year is going be tricky though.

Did buy:

Super Meat Boy
Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light
Sid Meier's Railroads!
Arma II: Operation Arrowhead
Europa Universalis 3

27€, not bad.

Games I would have bought if I wouldn't have worried about when I was gonna play them:

Overlord 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Mafia II
Simcity 4
Napoleon/Empire Total War bundle. (own Empire, but no DLC for it)
Stalker
Darksiders
Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition
Mirrors Edge
At least one Kings Bounty game
Alpha Protocol
Tropic Reloaded
Zeno Clash

Those were games that I was geniunely interested in, and thought were sold for a great price, but managed to not purchase. Quite proud of myself. :)

bonesquad

Super Meat Boy - $3.75
Lara Croft GoL - $5.10
Machinarium - $2.99
PB Winterbottom - $.49
Rush - $1.69
Shatter - $2.50
HL Anthology - $2.24
VVVVVV - $2.49
Amnesia Dark Decent - $6.80

Total: 28.05

Now time to play.

Beer Monkey said:
Ugh. Bought Dead Space and the dead zone for the 360 controller is horrible. Anybody know a fix?

First turn off vsync ingame and in your videocards control panel if it is being forced there.

Download and install rivatuner (you have to for D3DOverrider) http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Navigate to the D3DOverrider folder and manually start the .exe. Enable it to start with windows. Use the + sign to manually add the .exe for Dead Space. For Dead Space (and any other games where using in-game vsync causes sluggish controls) enable vsync and triple buffering and set application detection level to high. Never close D3DOverrider, just minimize it to your tray.

I cant guarantee that this will work with a controller but it does make mouse controls nice and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom